How do you overclock a macbook?

spartan015

17 posts in this topic

i want to up the cpu speed to like 2ghz or like to 1.9ghz, idk if it'll be improvement but i just want to know how. if it's simple. if it involves me taking apart my macbook, never mind lol...

i'm not worried about warranty or anything like that.

You should check www.google.com

I doubt it's going to be possible. You need a motherboard that supports overclocking to do it, and the one in your intel laptop doesn't.

In any case, it results in more heat and increased unreliablity, and is hardly worth it

yeah not to mention that the macbook already has heat issues, so overclocking it would make it worse.

It would be possible with a program that can edit the FSB , but you would be overclocking the ram slightly as well... Loads of possibilities to do in in Windows. Not much, if any for OS X. :)

If we had a bios we could do it as well, but as we have EFi were out of luck.

We need some Developers with EFi knowledge to whip something up.

I doubt you'll even notice a speed increase with that overclock.

I went from a 1.83 CD iMac to a 2.0 CD MacBook and I couldn't feel a difference.

If you want to a sped boost, bump your ram up to 2GB.

As for just being able to do it, look for some high res pictures of the logicboard, you might be able to find the resistors that set the FSB or multiplier.

Edited by markusf

I guess the frequency in all the MacBook CPUs are locked by Intel. Intel has published overclockable Core 2 Duo processors to Dell with a 'G' at the end of the processor number. The price tag is much higher than the normal ones.

By the way, if you feel MacBook is slow, it may not because of the processors. Hard disk speed is always a bottleneck for speed.

Edited by dragonpool

This has tweaked my curiosity.. all these responses & no-one knows how to overclock a macbook.. This surprises be as there is usually some geek out there who will publish a guide on how to do it with a liquid nitrogen heatpipe replacement and a soldering iron :(

My only personal experience of macbooks is that they are *dog slow* if given only 512mb.. more ram is the easy answer to more.. speed, but doesn't answer the question..

Just how *do* you overclock a macbook... ???

This has tweaked my curiosity.. all these responses & no-one knows how to overclock a macbook.. This surprises be as there is usually some geek out there who will publish a guide on how to do it with a liquid nitrogen heatpipe replacement and a soldering iron :(

My only personal experience of macbooks is that they are *dog slow* if given only 512mb.. more ram is the easy answer to more.. speed, but doesn't answer the question..

Just how *do* you overclock a macbook... ???

you cant, its just like oem bios in a sense.... you cant overclock those because the options are hidden, and in efi there may not even be an option for changing the fsb and clockspeed etc, in bios you can replace teh ones with non oem custom bios, but efi is apple's bios, and apple is oem and theyre the only supporter, so no one makes an oc'able efi.

I thought people understood that like 99% of pre-built, consumer purchased hardware is incapable or locked out of overclock, and even more so in notebooks. My Alienware was incapable of CPU overclocking, and when that GPU got overclocked it got so hot it was unbarable to even use it got so hot.

I see more questions other places on how to *underclock* notebooks so they can increase battery life.

The Core architecture processors are VERY efficient and even at 1/2 speed outdo lots of the past itirations of notebooks processors.

Clock-throttling is done on these chips on the fly when they're on battery power. If you aren't doing anything intensive, I can guarantee that chip isn't actually running at 1.83ghz. It would rather slow itself down, use less power, to give you more time to use the machine than to just suck up power for untapped resources.

i see, so what are the heat issues? like anything i can do to fix it?

uh... well if i'm not doing that much stuff so sometimes one core is running at like 1.2ghz while my other is running at like 900mhz.

so i know it'll down clock.

ram is expensive, and i noticed that hard drive is slow, since defrag takes for ever in windows, but idefrag (online mode) runs a lot faster.

Try doing a Full Defrag with iDefrag with a bootable utils disk. Hope you dont need to use your comp for a good few hours...

I know some say Macs do not need defraging. Must be {censored}, as it helped Quite a bit. Doing this along with a Pre-binding rebuild - optimization - cache cleanse - PRAM reset and this baby feels like the day I got her.

• 2 years later...
Try doing a Full Defrag with iDefrag with a bootable utils disk. Hope you dont need to use your comp for a good few hours...

I know some say Macs do not need defraging. Must be {censored}, as it helped Quite a bit. Doing this along with a Pre-binding rebuild - optimization - cache cleanse - PRAM reset and this baby feels like the day I got her.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5490990_overclock-...tml?shared=true

nVidia based Macbooks can be overclocked under Windows, even with nVidia's own nTune. I have occasionally used my old polycarbonate Macbook - 2.0Ghz C2D, 9400M, 2GB DDR2@667 overclocked to 2.33Ghz (which bumped the ram to 730Mhz IIRC). No serious overheating problems, even under full load.

And for Mac Pro and Xserve there is ZDNet.de Overclockung Tool. it runs on Mac OS X ;)

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a way to make it run on a Macbook.