*Updated 11/12* DMG mounting issues & Sandbox.kext/Seatbelt.kext

Lanceomni

168 posts in this topic

DMG mounting issues & Sandbox.kext/Seatbelt.kext

* LAST EDIT November 25, 2012

The Problem

Kernel Panics, which happen during the mounting if Disk Images (.DMG), can be caused by not having the correct Sandbox.kext/seatbelt.kext matched with your kernel. You can correct the Disk Mounting issue by matching your kernel with the proper seatbelt.kext build. This is a common issue when working with non-vanilla kernels.

What are Sandbox.kext and Seatbelt.kext for?

Both are implementations of Sandbox described in more detailed here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_(computer_security). Seatbelt was the code name used by Apple. This was used during 10.5 but was renamed Sandbox from 10.6 to present.

12.2.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.8.0

Version N/A Build N/A Source N/A

SHA1=96ab102d51740e26d6fb278765387954b2ff2fa5

12.1.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.8.0

12.0.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.8.0

11.4.2 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.7.5

Version 177.8 Build 3 Source 177008000000000

SHA1=67097f28b296f3cf6f452dd2de4f86f0353411cf

11.4.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.7.4

Version 177.5 Build 11 Source 177005000000000

SHA1=639c01e5dbf243225612412b97af91d14dd085ed

11.3.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.7.3

Version 177.3 Build 6 Source 177003000000000

SHA1=1cdb7b14492a7448f7e7dfe117bf86661a072196

11.2.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.7.2

Version 165.3 Build 2 Source 165003000000000

SHA1=2892f56c6f0e963bbdb9dd05a840e02cedb3e5e1

11.1.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.7.0

SHA1=67097f28b296f3cf6f452dd2de4f86f0353411cf

10.8.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.8

Version 1 Build 86 Source 340100

SHA1=a4f5c98d747777781b92d12c517cdf18bc8b0692

10.7.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.7

Version 1 Build 54 Source 340100

SHA1=f406659a15d084749b9d9274466a096bc9cf4b89

10.6.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.6

Version 1 Build 13 Source 340100

SHA1=83e7e2f0882c0b0126ba8ddce8630b0a4375565f

10.5.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.5

Version 1 Build 9 Source 340100

SHA1=ea657bd1b40d16e14d43aa11979b6efa5d3df0dc

10.4.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.4

Version 0 Build 300 Source 340000

SHA1=8ab3f051cf49387010e273f3b1eccd6f00935f8e

10.3.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.0

Version INSERT Build INSERT Source INSERT

SHA1=INSERT

10.2.0 kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.0

SHA1=INSERT

10.1.0? kernel requires Sandbox.kext from 10.6.0

SHA1=INSERT

9.8.0 kernel requires Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.8

Version 107.12 Build 78 Source 1071200

SHA1=02283813a609583a6de7c7895fce22a59a09a789

9.7.0 kernel requires Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.7

Version 107.12 Build 63 Source 1071200

SHA1=fa50ed67f12d72c24ee28f61f1b971b0d13a407b

9.6.0 kernel requires Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.6

Version 107.10 Build 45 Source 1071100

SHA1=2e9774fd74575f438a7d18b8805fff37a189ebaa

9.5.0 kernel requires Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5

Version 107.10 Build 14 Source 1071100

SHA1=0e07c564d78b78327ee3f4c99fb96147986a04c8

How to determine which versions you have installed

Check your kernel version by opening Terminal and typing:

uname -a

OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion

There is only one version of Sandbox.kext for Mountain Lion

OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard - 10.7 Lion

Check your version of Sandbox.kext

openssl sha1 /System/Library/Extensions/Sandbox.kext/Contents/MacOS/Sandbox

OSX 10.5 Leopard

Check your version of Seatbelt.kext

openssl sha1 /System/Library/Extensions/Seatbelt.kext/Contents/MacOS/Seatbelt

Compare the sha1 checksum, to the list above. In addition, Source Version and SHA1 checksums are provided at the end of this post.

The sha1 checksum is a hash created using a special algorithm. It results in a hash that is unique to a file. If a file is altered, it will not have an identical hash. Since a Kext is actually a folder, we must target a specific file within in order to generate the hash. For the Sandbox.kext, I chose the actual binaries.

Where do these files come from?

The files provided above were extracted from Apple's support site using Pacifist (Available here: http://www.charlessoft.com/)

Manual Installation

I prefer to manually install system related files. It helps reinforce your understanding of what files are for, where they should go, and what the proper permissions and ownerships should be set to. There are many applications that are available to do this for you. (Yes, you will find that some of these commands are redundant. Redundancy results in less questions)

In short:

Drag the downloaded Kext to your Desktop

(Replace "Sandbox" with "Seatbelt" depending on your needs.)

sudo -s
mkdir /backup/Sandbox
cd /System/Library
cp -R Extensions/Sandbox.kext /backup/Sandbox/Sandbox.kext
cp -R ~/Desktop/Sandbox.kext Extensions/Sandbox.kext
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
diskutil repairpermissions /

Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

Steps explained:

1. Give yourself root privileges so that you can modify files.

sudo -s

2. Make a backup copy of your existing Kext. First we will make a directory called "backup" in our root directory and a directory in it called "sandbox" to store them. Open Terminal and type:

mkdir /backup/sandbox

3. Change directories to /System/Library This will shorten some of the commands we have to type in.

cd /System/Library

4. Copy Sandbox.kext to the new "backup" folder.

cp -R Extensions/Sandbox.kext /backup/Sandbox/Sandbox.kext

5. Copy the kext from your desktop to the extensions folder

cp -R ~/Desktop/seatbelt.kext Extensions/seatbelt.kext

6. Set the proper ownership for the extensions folder.

chown -R root:wheel Extensions

7. Set the proper permissions for the extensions folder.

chmod -R 755 Extensions

8. Touch the extensions folder

touch Extensions/

9. Remove the extensions cache to force OSX to rebuild it with our new kext.

rm -Rf Extensions.mkext

10. Repair permissions to your drive.

diskutil repairpermissions /

11. Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

-v Verbose Mode displays useful information during the boot process.

-f Forces OSX to load kexts from the extensions folder instead of the cache file. We did delete the cache file so this is just a precaution.

There are shorter methods to do this but this should cover everything for those who have issues installing kexts and may solve other issues related to permissions.

3rd Part Applications

I offer the following links to 3rd part Kext installers to be used at your own risk.

KextHelper http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26865/kext-helper

KextWizard http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/

###### http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-simple-kext-installer.html

Kext Drop http://www.cindori.se

Do not PM with questions regarding this post. Reply to this post and I will try to reply as soon as possible. My PM mail box fills up on a regular basis and I am unable to use it for what its for.... Private MSGs

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the iPC 10.5.6 with a StageXNU 9.4.0 Kernel, so which one should I use?

Edit: Solved, manually installed a 9.6.0 Kernel

BUT: How could I possibly get the seatbelt.kext with Pacifist, if installing Pacifist requires to open up a *.dmg file?

I have the iPC 10.5.6 with a StageXNU 9.4.0 Kernel, so which one should I use?

Edit: Solved, manually installed a 9.6.0 Kernel

BUT: How could I possibly get the seatbelt.kext with Pacifist, if installing Pacifist requires to open up a *.dmg file?

Hi, I have the same iPC 10.5.6 also with 9.4.0 kernel. How do I upgrade to 9.6.0 ?

Thanks.

hey dude.

i found your comment on a issue with diskimagemounter on hackintosh.

i have exactly the same problem with my hackintosh.

i already have the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext on de desktop but by some of the commands i type in terminal i get error's

sudo -s

mkdir /backup/Seatbelt

cd /System/Library

cp -r Extensions/seatbelt.kext /backup/Seatbelt/seatbelt.kext

cp -r ~/Desktop/seatbelt.kext Extensions/seatbelt.kext on this one i get error's (permission denied)

chmod -R 755 Extensions/ on this one i get Operation not permitted

chown -R root:wheel Extensions/ this one works

touch Extensions/ touch: Extensions/: Permission denied

rm -Rf Extensions.mkext rm: Extensions.mkext: Permission denied

diskutil repairpermissions / Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk2s2 MACSYS

[ | 0%..10%..20%......................................... ]

can you please help me with this because with me also mounting a dmg gives me a kernel panic.

You open Terminal run sudo -s and then leave it open while entering these commands.

If you have done this then lets check a few things.

1. Open Terminal and type:

ls -l /usr/bin/su

Should return this:

-r-sr-xr-x

If not then type this:

sudo chmod 4555 /usr/bin/su

2. In Terminal type:

which su

Should return:

/usr/bin/su

Let me know if it doesn't.

I have the kernel panic while mounting DMGs as well. I have installed the latest version of iDeneb (1.4) and selected the seatbelt fix. So I have been able to verify that the seatbelt.kext that is installed is the correct size and version, from 10.5.5. However, I believe my system.kext is not matched to the voodoo kernel 9.5.0. I have tried rolling back my system.kext with Kexthelper, repairing permissions, touch the folder, etc but this yields to instant kernel panic on reboot. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my version of system.kext, seatbelt.kext and the kernel (would like to use Voodoo 9.5.0) to match without causing instant kernel panics when I reboot?

Thanks man for the support...

i got it finnaly working now. altrough i also have another little problem.

the problem was that i after sudo -s he asked for a password.

here i pressed just enter and that was the wrong part.

after entering my owne password it worked fine.

my other problem is my terrible bad connection on LAN.

my uploads on MSN are low, and if i watch youtube or anything my connection even hangs.

i need a reboot to get it working again.

in networks i also see there is no cable connected, but i get a DHCP adress :S

but all normal download (http, update, mail) there is no loss of connection, even with high speeds (30Mbit).

but the further i come the more i like mac os X...

• 2 weeks later...

How can I find out what kernel I have a I forgot :D

EDIT: Also which version of the combo update would you download and then extract the kext from? 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? Or it depends on your version right?

EDIT 2: My kernel is 9.2.0! How to I update to 9.5 or 9.6???!!?

Please provide us with some specifications about your system (CPU, Motherboard, Graphics, Model Number if applicable & Version of OSX). Adding more specific information allows us to respond quickly with more precise answers. Chipset, LAN, Audio & If your Graphics are integrated or not, are excellent additions.

You can also place this information in your "Signature". It will then appear on every post you make. This can be done via My Controls: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...rCP&CODE=00

Please follow the rules described in this thread (Most importantly keeping your signature to no more than 5 lines of normal text: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=signatures

I have the kernel panic while mounting DMGs as well. I have installed the latest version of iDeneb (1.4) and selected the seatbelt fix. So I have been able to verify that the seatbelt.kext that is installed is the correct size and version, from 10.5.5. However, I believe my system.kext is not matched to the voodoo kernel 9.5.0. I have tried rolling back my system.kext with Kexthelper, repairing permissions, touch the folder, etc but this yields to instant kernel panic on reboot. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my version of system.kext, seatbelt.kext and the kernel (would like to use Voodoo 9.5.0) to match without causing instant kernel panics when I reboot?

Are you installing similar to what was described in my first post for the seatbelt.kext? Are you using the system.kext that is packaged with the voodoo kernel? What does it read when you get the KP?

Please provide us with some specifications about your system (CPU, Motherboard, Graphics, Model Number if applicable & Version of OSX). Adding more specific information allows us to respond quickly with more precise answers. Chipset, LAN, Audio & If your Graphics are integrated or not, are excellent additions.

You can also place this information in your "Signature". It will then appear on every post you make. This can be done via My Controls: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...rCP&CODE=00

Please follow the rules described in this thread (Most importantly keeping your signature to no more than 5 lines of normal text: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=signatures

Are you installing similar to what was described in my first post for the seatbelt.kext? Are you using the system.kext that is packaged with the voodoo kernel? What does it read when you get the KP?

Whoops sorry! I have an intel DG965WH Mobo. Everything works on my "mac" I have a PNY Nvidia 9800GTX+ and a E6400 CPU. I have 3 gigs ram anything else? Also I am on 10.5.6 and I updated my kernel to voodoo 9.6...Would I just proceed with your steps now?

• 2 weeks later...

For those in need of a quick workaround - for example to install Pacifist - you can open the .dmg in Apple's Disk Utility and convert it to a CD image, then it'll mount without crashing.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if you need to have Toast installed for the conversion options to appear in Disk Utility.

Hello i'm new here, but i did manage to install os x 10.5.6 and got everything working. However, i couldn't install any programs in os x. I've tried installing iwork 09 and it gets stuck on the 1st step (i know this isn't related to DMG mounting issues). i have no problem mounting the dmg, but i cannot install any .pkg files; i can open them but it gets stuck right afterwards. and i have no problem opening .app files. plz help.

edit: in the attachment i can see a screenshot of the NTFS for Mac OS X installer, but i couldn't click on the continue button.

post-373466-1237492157_thumb.png

Is the GSoD related to this? A kernel panic is when the system freezes and spits out an error message on the left of the screen right? All I get when I try to run dmg files is the box that pops up and says the computer is dead and i need to shut it down.

I have 9.6 Kernel and am using the 10.5.6 Kext from the combo update but dmgs still crash my computer at the point when they are getting mounted.

Is the GSoD related to this? A kernel panic is when the system freezes and spits out an error message on the left of the screen right? All I get when I try to run dmg files is the box that pops up and says the computer is dead and i need to shut it down.

I have 9.6 Kernel and am using the 10.5.6 Kext from the combo update but dmgs still crash my computer at the point when they are getting mounted.

yip that's kernel panic :) i think it's mostly related to chipset drivers.

I did all the above since I had problem with kernel panic when I was trying to mount a *.dmg file.

when I did the reboot I typed in "reboot [-f]" and the system restarted.. however, when it was about to start up I got the following:

System config gile ´/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist´not found

sooo.. now I cant start the system.

How should I solve the problem?

thanks in advance : )

hmm... I restarted the system now and got the option to chose boot options, and I chose -v and now all of a sudden it works.. strange.. well I hope it will work when I reboot as well : >

I still get the error I was talking about before, but now I get the option to chose boot options and then it starts. How can I fix so that I dont have to chose boot options each time I restart the system?

I did all the above since I had problem with kernel panic when I was trying to mount a *.dmg file.

when I did the reboot I typed in "reboot [-f]" and the system restarted.. however, when it was about to start up I got the following:

System config gile ´/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist´not found

sooo.. now I cant start the system.

How should I solve the problem?

thanks in advance : )

hmm... I restarted the system now and got the option to chose boot options, and I chose -v and now all of a sudden it works.. strange.. well I hope it will work when I reboot as well : >

I still get the error I was talking about before, but now I get the option to chose boot options and then it starts. How can I fix so that I dont have to chose boot options each time I restart the system?

u can get com.apple.Boot.plist from someone. i would try copying it from ur installation DVD and set permissions.

I installed iatkos5i and after installing all updates including 10.5.6 my usb thumb driver won't mount anymore, my external hard drive won't work either and I have already fixed the mounting problem - USB works for other things (keyboard/mouse). Now if I reboot the computer while both of them are still plugged in everything works fine. Any ideas???? Thank you very much!

kernel: 9.5.0 voodoo

hardware:

Intel BLKDP35DPM Core 2 Quad/ Intel P35/ FSB 1333/ DDR2-800/ RAID/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

Specification

* Mfr Part Number: BLKDP35DPM

* CPU: Socket 775 Support Intel Core 2 Quad/ Core 2 Extreme/ Core 2 Duo/ Pentium Dual-Core/ Celeron Processor; FSB 1333/1066/800 MHz

* Chipset: Intel P35 & ICH9R

* Memory: 4x 240pin DDR2-800/667 DIMMs, Dual Channel, Max Capacity 8GB

* Slots: 1x PCI-Express x16 slot; 3x PCI-Express x1 slots; 3x PCI slots

* IDE/SATA: 1x ATA-133 Channel; 6x SATA2 ports, Support RAID 0, 1, 10, 5

* Audio: Sigmatel STAC9271D 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

* LAN: Intel 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Controller

* Ports: 12x USB 2.0 Ports (6 rear, 6 by headers); 2x IEEE 1394a Ports (1 rear, 1 by header); 1x Serial Header; 1x RJ45 LAN Port; Audio I/O Jacks

* Power Connector: 1x 24pin main power, 1x 4pin CPU power

* Form Factor: ATX, 12 x 9.6 inch / 30.48 x 24.38 cm

* Package: Bulk