*Updated 11/12* DMG mounting issues & Sandbox.kext/Seatbelt.kext

Lanceomni

168 posts in this topic

Lets verify some info first.

1. Go to the /System/Library/Extensions folder

2. right click on Seatbelt.kext and select "Show Package Contents"

3. Open Versions.plist in the Contents folder and reply back with its contents.

4. Open Terminal and type:

uname -a

and reply back with what it says.

is there any other site that i can be able to download the seatbelt kext for 10.5.8?

i'm having a problem getting the file from your first post. same problem here mounting the DMG files and showing kernel panic.

i'm using ideneb lite 10.5.8, sometimes it works mounting DMG stored from external HD , most of the time it show kernel panic.

thanks for the help and info

is there any other site that i can be able to download the seatbelt kext for 10.5.8?

i'm having a problem getting the file from your first post. same problem here mounting the DMG files and showing kernel panic.

i'm using ideneb lite 10.5.8, sometimes it works mounting DMG stored from external HD , most of the time it show kernel panic.

thanks for the help and info

Here it is as an attachment. Please follow the instructions in the first post for installation including backing up your kexts.

Though you have installed a prepached version 10.5.8 you may still want to follow the instructions to see which kernel you are using.

seatbelt_1058.zip

Here it is as an attachment. Please follow the instructions in the first post for installation including backing up your kexts.

Though you have installed a prepached version 10.5.8 you may still want to follow the instructions to see which kernel you are using.

thank you mate..i tried using terminal,it wont get through. so i just use osx86 tools and it did change the seatbelt kext to 9.8.0, as for the instruction to backup the extension.i also back it up.. everything works now..

thanks for the help

I have iDeneb 10.5.6 installed, using the 9.2 sleep kernel. Since I'm new to all this, can someone please help me understand how I should upgrade my kernel? :mellow:

Normally I would direct you to http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ to download the latest Voodoo Kernel release however they package it in a DMG so it wouldnt do you any good. So Ive attached a little package for you.

Unzip Files.zip and drag mach_kernel.voodoo, Seatbelt.kext & System.kext to your Desktop. Its important that all the files are on your desktop or it will not work. Install those two kexts and the new kernel with proper permissions or follow the instructions below.

Open Terminal and type the following, pressing enter after each line. (If you want explanations check my first post)

sudo -s
mkdir /backup
cd /System/Library
cp -r Extensions /backup
cp -r ~/Desktop/Seatbelt.kext Extensions/Seatbelt.kext
cp -r ~/Desktop/System.kext Extensions/System.kext
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
cd /
cp mach_kernel mach_kernel.backup
cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel.voodoo mach_kernel
chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*
chmod 644 /mach_kernel*
diskutil repairpermissions /

Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

Open Terminal and type

uname -a

It should say 9.5.0 and should reference voodoo. If it doesnt than you have a different kernel referenced in com.apple.boot.plist and we can deal with that if thats the case.

As mentioned in my first post System.kext, Seatbelt.kext and mach_kernel must all line up under the same version. Wrong Seatbelt.kext will give you DMG mounting issues, system.kext will give you USB storage device issues among other things.

Ok, well I did what you said using the mach_kernel.voodoo and system.kext that I got from the automatic installer on another mac pc, and I got the seatbelt.kext from the original post. I put them all on my desktop and ran all the commands you told me to, repaired the disk permissions, and and rebooted using -v -f. Now I get a different kernel panic -

b5mtys.jpg

What did I do wrong?

If it helps at all, I'm running off of a usb hard drive.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just must've forgotten to copy the seatbelt.kext. It's all good now. Thanks for the help!

;)

hello...

first... my english isn´t so good...

i have installed a ipc 10.5.6 on an asus m2n-vm (or a m2a-vm... i change it everytime...) with an amd anthlon x2 6400+, 4gb ram (ddr2, 667mhz) and a nvidia 9500gt (1gb). all works fine... from the ipc is the kernel voodoo 9.5 running... my harddiscs and the dvd-burner are sata2. (show sig)

now i have a hp compaq nx5000 to, a little laptop with 1,4ghz pentium m-cpu, 512mb ram and intel gma855-grafic. here works from the ideneb combo-update 10.5.8 the kernel anv.

this kernel, the anv, stops on the amd-computer after university... and the numbers... öhm... 2 lines down of university of ...

and then nothings go... stand and wait...

the anv is kernel 9.7, based on voodoo and for cpu with sse2 and sse3. the 6400+ has it all.

what can i do, that this kernel run ???

or

where can i download an other kernel...

on the iatkos 10.5.7 (or was it the ideneb 10.5.7 ???) is an kernel: qoops 9.8 (???), for intel/amd sse2/sse3 too. (if i boot this dvd i´m not have a harddisk in diskutility... so i can´t install...) with pacifist i can´t find...

can you help me ???

in case of an new install of ipc... no problem... give me 20 minutes :)

ok i have just recently updated to 10.5.8 and I need the correct seatbelt.kext and system.kext... can somebody PLEASE upload them for me? it would be GREATLY apreciated

10.5.8 Seatbelt is in my first post. System.kext can be found in Apple's 10.5.8 Delta update. Use Pacifist to extract.

ok... thanks for the answer. then i can use the voodoo 9.5 from ideneb upgrade-kit for my amd-pc. i have think, a newer kernel a better system. the funniest was, that the intel updated to kernel 9.8.0. this i made today...

pest scriptum: have forgotten my signature... now you can see :(

I pulled the seatbeltkext from the apple update using Pacifist. this solved my dmg munting problems. The 10.5.8 seatbelt.kext at the begining of this thread doesn't work. It looks like it is really 10.5.7? I'm not sure, but as soon as I used the 10.5.8 stand-alone update, and extracted seatbelt.kext using Pacifist, I installed it using OSX86tols, and problem gone.

The problem I have now though, is AFP sharing doesn't work. I get this in the system.log:

Cannot apply builtin profile `krb5kdc' . Policy not found

I looked around on google, but this looks like another issue related to a mismatched seatblet sandbox. What the %^@# ?!?!?!?

I am running 10.5.8 with AnV 9.8 kernel and 10.5.8 seatbelt.kext from Apple 10.5.8 update on iatKOS v7

Is there anything I can do to use AFP on 10.5.8 ?

I pulled the seatbeltkext from the apple update using Pacifist. this solved my dmg munting problems. The 10.5.8 seatbelt.kext at the begining of this thread doesn't work. It looks like it is really 10.5.7? I'm not sure, but as soon as I used the 10.5.8 stand-alone update, and extracted seatbelt.kext using Pacifist, I installed it using OSX86tols, and problem gone.

The problem I have now though, is AFP sharing doesn't work. I get this in the system.log:

Cannot apply builtin profile `krb5kdc' . Policy not found

I looked around on google, but this looks like another issue related to a mismatched seatblet sandbox. What the %^@# ?!?!?!?

I am running 10.5.8 with AnV 9.8 kernel and 10.5.8 seatbelt.kext from Apple 10.5.8 update on iatKOS v7

Is there anything I can do to use AFP on 10.5.8 ?

I would recheck your kernel version using

uname -a

in Terminal than try reinstalling the seatbelt you extracted. This time remove the old one first, empty trash and install the new one. Make sure to dump your extensions.mkext cache file. You can also try installing manually instead of using something like Kext Helper.

Manually Installing a Kext

You can manually install drivers (kexts) by following the instructions below. Be sure to do your research and make sure that what you are installing will work. It is highly recommended that you do steps 2, 3 & 4 to backup your extensions folder. This will make it possible to recover from a non booting system

Place the kext you wish to install on your desktop (The following commands rely on it being on the desktop).

1. Give yourself root privileges so that you can modify files.

sudo -s

2. Make a backup copy of your kexts. First we will make a directory called "backup" in our root directory to store them. Open Terminal and type:

mkdir /backup

3. Change directories to /System/Library This will shorten some of the commands we have to type in.

cd /System/Library

4. Copy your kexts to the new "backup" folder.

cp -r Extensions/ /backup/

5. Copy the kext from your desktop to the extensions folder (Replace MYKEXT.kext with the name of the kext you want to install.

cp ~/Desktop/MYKEXT.kext Extensions/MYKEXT.kext

Repeat step 5. for each additional kext.

6. Set the proper permissions for the extensions folder.

chmod -R 755 Extensions/

7. Set the proper ownership for the extensions folder.

chown -R root:wheel Extensions/

8. Touch the extensions folder

touch Extensions/

9. Remove the extensions cache to force OSX to rebuild it with our new kext.

rm -rf Extensions.mkext

10. Repair permissions to your drive.

diskutil repairpermissions /

11. Reboot using the boot-flags -v -f

-v Verbose Mode displays useful information during the boot process.

-f Forces OSX to load kexts from the extensions folder instead of the cache file. We did delete the cache file so this is just a precaution.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Lanceomni,

Thank you for all the help you have been providing. I have been trying to figure this issue for the longest time and have looked all over. Your solutions/posts seem to make the most sense, but they still are not work for me. I do not get any kernel panics and I am able to mount devices (usb, cd, etc) without any trouble. In fact they are mounted automatically.

However, I cannot run/open ANY dmg files. I am simply trying to install Itunes 8.2. When I double click the dmg I get a popup saying: "Warning: The following disk images failed to mount. Image: "file name" Reason: not recognized" I have the option to click ok and that is it.

I went through your instrucations and downloaded and installed seatbelt.kext for 9.7 kernel. Everything worked fine, but after reboot using -v -f, same result.

Below are the results of uname and seatbelt version info. I would greatly appreciate any help in getting this working. Thanks again. I will be anxiously awaiting your response. :wacko:

I have iAtkos 7 installed on my system.

Last login: Wed Oct 7 11:44:14 on console

xxxxxx-macbook:~ xxxxx$ uname -a

Darwin xxxxxxxxxx-macbook.local 9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Sat May 16 12:00:42 AST 2009; Based on Voodoo :xnu-1228.12.14/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

xxxxxxx-macbook:~ xxxxx$

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>63</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>107.12</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>107.12</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<string>Seatbelt</string>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>1071200</string>

</dict>

</plist>

On top of the above information, I have tried to use disk utility to mount the dmg files, i have tried burning them. Nothing works. Same error message:

"Warning: The following disk images failed to mount. Image: "file name" Reason: not recognized"

Thanks

You can ignore my previous post. I found a solution. It is actually more of a work around. I reinstalled but that still did not fix anything. What I ended doing was connection to the internet and using FIREFOX to download the dmg file directly. At that point I had the option to open it with the "default diskmounter". That worked. I do not know if this is necessarily a firefox/safari issue strictly because when I was having trouble opening the file I had downloaded it using firefox on another computer and then was attempting to mount it on my mac by double clicking.

I hope this helps someone.

So, after I did this (have Qoopz kernel 9.7 - installed seatbelt.kext 10.5.7 from the original post), I rebooted and now continually get this error:

Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI etc etc

What happened? Why would seatbelt.kext affect this at all?

FOR ALL iAtkos 7 USERS!!!

When you want to mount the dmg files, You Got to DELETE seatbelt950.kext from /System/Library/Extsions.

so open terminal and sudo -s

rm -rf /System/Library/Extsions/seatbelt950.kext

then do the tutorial

• 3 weeks later...
 So Ive attached a little package for you.

Unzip Files.zip and drag mach_kernel.voodoo, Seatbelt.kext & System.kext to your Desktop. Its important that all the files are on your desktop or it will not work. Install those two kexts and the new kernel with proper permissions or follow the instructions below.

Could you please reattach that package Files.zip?

I have installed iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 under VMWare 6.5. Have tried different kernels 9.8 Qoopz and 9.5 Voodoo. With both of them I have kernel panic mounting DMG packages. Replaced seatbelt.kext, but with no success.

UPD: solved. Just replaced seatbelt.kext with version for 9.8 kernel. 9.5 voodoo and seatbelt for 9.8 kernel. 

• 1 month later...
FOR ALL iAtkos 7 USERS!!!

When you want to mount the dmg files, You Got to DELETE seatbelt950.kext from /System/Library/Extsions.

so open terminal and sudo -s

rm -rf /System/Library/Extsions/seatbelt950.kext

then do the tutorial

compsman - You were right. it has helped me.

I tried 9.6.0 with 10.5.6, 9.8.0 with 10.5.8 - nothing helped. KP followed me.

But after I had deleted the seatbelt950.kext all mounted fine :o

Do not forget about the TS steps after deleted the file. :D

compsman - You were right. it has helped me.

I tried 9.6.0 with 10.5.6, 9.8.0 with 10.5.8 - nothing helped. KP followed me.

But after I had deleted the seatbelt950.kext all mounted fine :(

Do not forget about the TS steps after deleted the file. ;)

When i did this the terminal just said acess denied all the way down.

i've noticed a strange thing. i have iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8, and I have a Realtek RTL8139 lan card. the problem is:

when I've downloaded and installed a seatbelt.kext for 10.5.8 my lan connection went down. there was a sign "no network cable found" or something like that. but after installing seatbelt for 10.5.7 everything is working correctly. has ony1 got the same problem? earlier I had the same problem (lan cable not found) after upgrading from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8, I thought it was a drivers problem but it seems to be a problem with this seatbelt.kext, or am i wrong? can anyone explain this bug?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the 9.8.0 kernel you will need the Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.8.

you can also download from http://uploading.com/files/4e964f6e/seatbelt.kext.zip/

i installed seatbelt kext 10.5.8 by using kext helper to solve dmg mounting issue.

i installed voodoo 9.8 along with sealbelt fix on the above mirror.

i posted uploading link for everyone because in order to download from rapidshare, one needs to have premium account.