March 31st 2008 OSx86 roundup

apowerr

15 posts in this topic

Thread at Zephyroth's forums

As posted by our own Puttabong, a new 9.2.2 kernel and system.kext have appeared on irc.osx86.hu :

linkinus1bc7.png

This kext and kernel were made by Team of Hackintosh, or ToH. This release is universal. This kernel is working fine for me and many others.

Known Bugs: Some users are reporting kernel panics on reboot, so as always be sure to have everything backed up. Regardless of your CPU, system profiler shows cores as 1 while both cores still work and are shown in activity monitor.

~pcwiz, well known for his many contributions to the OSx86 Project (such as his recent kernel installer) has released Leo4VMware, which evidently allows the installation of Mac OS 10.5 as a Virtual Machine. This release comes just two days after ~pcwiz successfully installed OS 10.5 in VMware. This release is also confirmed to be working inside of VMware fusion (~pcwiz beat apple to it :( ).

leo1052workinghw4.jpg

Finally, prepare for more update woes (unless you're lucky enough to have a vanilla install :) ) because Appleinsider reports that Apple has begun testing Mac OS 10.5.3 .

The Mac maker on Thursday informed its vast developer community of the availability of Mac OS X 10.5.3 Build 9D10, a pre-release copy of the software update featuring a focus list spanning some two dozen core components.

Among those components in need of evaluation, people familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider, are AddressBook, AppleScript, Audio, Back To My Mac, Dashboard, the Dock, DVD Player, Finder, Graphics, iCal, Mail, Portable Home Directories, Printing, Rosetta, Spaces, Spotlight, Time Machine, and VoiceOver.

In a set of developer notes reported to have accommodated the update, Apple is also said to have listed 75 code corrections that have already been baked into this first external build, including two aimed at critical memory leaks within CoreAnimation and iCal.

Other fixes target Dashboard, iCal alarms and syncing, Installer App, Spotlight indexing, PDFs within the Preview App, Mail alarms, Spaces, Stacks and the Dock.

Mac OS X 10.5.3 is presumed for a release sometime in April or May.

Theoretically you can I think. I don't know about Leopard (I know you need to patch the 10.5.2 update) but in Tiger 10.4.10 with EFI, I updated everything straight from Apple (including the 10.4.11 update) with NO patching at all.

It's a common misconception that with EFI you can do updates strait from Apple. You still need to patch the update.

Depends on the update.

I update Time Machine and last sec-upd. on my lappy without pathces, on my AMD I can update even without patch but running different kernel.

No News Team badge yet? You've had several good news posts.

How long does the evaluation process last?

Not sure, two weeks I think so it should be up soon. I'm glad appreciate my news posts =)

Well, yeah, I meant the system updates (most non-system-version updates are fine). People think with EFI they can't just go wade in Apple updates and be alright, which usually isn't the case.

Thats true, but aside from the major 10.5.x releases, all updates are typically fine if you have EFI. And if you have a near-vanilla install (kernel and important kexts, of course drivers are going to be non vanilla), then you are just incredibly fortunate and can update anything and everything.

It's funny that it's AMD-only. AMD-compatibility generally implies Intel compatibility + the removal of CPUID references. I wonder if the patch was designed to exclude Intel as a joke, rather than for technical reasons. Intentional or not, it's still pretty funny :huh:

I applaud the effort, regardless.

@erei33

Really,you are posting very good news related with OSx86.But I was wondering (really) why you still don't have your News Team badge (I know,maybe two weeks)...Good work.