Why are the moderators taking down all the threads?

24 posts in this topic

Yeah I sorta wish there might could be a sticked topic saying that this is Real Life issues and if you feel that you will be offended by the topic name DON'T read in it.....

Not saying that we should allow flame wars, but I do enjoy debating stuff with you guys.

I should also point this out: in the staff forums, most of the mods said to NOT moderate this forum at all unless anything is reported to them.

True

Which thread?.Really,give an example..If some mods are taking down the threads maybe is because they are useless.That is one of their jobs...

Threads tend to get closed because poopy heads like you (in general, not specifically pointing out the OP or anyone else) resort to personal attacks.

PS--you've never had free speech here. Click and read the link in my signature (it's post #34)

Chill A Nonny Moose. No hard feelings, but chill.

That was killbot's opinion, and he is allowed to post it. Some will agree or disagree. It's how things work. Relax :P

EDIT: The thread didn't go anywhere. It's right here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90842

To be honest, I wasn't the one who did the reporting. I can't stand it, though, when people come in and scream about their nonexistent free speech rights (aka, they are censoring me) on a PRIVATELY OWNED bulletin board. You don't have free speech here. Period. End of discussion.

Uh.. to make a long story short, since today's corrupted society is so afraid about offending people by doing so much as blinking, we need to be really careful on what we "Cancel or Allow" in the real life forum.. So yeah, if your thread magically disappeared, it was most likely offending someone and we're just ignoring the freedom of speech and continuing censoring...

/me waits for this post to be censored.

I think the problem with today's society is that we don't offend people. Honestly the way some people think is stupid, and they need to be told as such. If we are not allowed to judge or criticize or take a little name calling now and then, how are we expected to function in a working society and move forward?

To be honest, I wasn't the one who did the reporting. I can't stand it, though, when people come in and scream about their nonexistent free speech rights (aka, they are censoring me) on a PRIVATELY OWNED bulletin board. You don't have free speech here. Period. End of discussion.
I am perfectly aware, I am merely criticizing and saying its not cool, and wrong...Not that they cant do it.People who complain and whine need to just shut up. Offense doesn't count as harm, if one is offended and cant stomach and argument, then one shouldn't be on the "Big Issues" board, as arguments within this category tend to get a little heated.

So you're saying I can come in here and spam any racially charged word in any thread I want to? How about calling someone a "commie {censored}"? Maybe I should start throwing racial slams at YOU and seeing which one fits the best. Are you happy with that being said here, since you want this to be a "crybaby free zone"? Think VERY CAREFULLY before answering this one.

So you're saying I can come in here and spam any racially charged word in any thread I want to? How about calling someone a "commie {censored}"? Maybe I should start throwing racial slams at YOU and seeing which one fits the best. Are you happy with that being said here, since you want this to be a "crybaby free zone"? Think VERY CAREFULLY before answering this one.

The best way to show that somebody is wrong is by letting them spout out whatever they want. I would NOT be happy with racial slurs (and other things of that nature) being said here, but I can deal with it. I feel that one of the main problems our society has had is that were really trying very hard not to offend anybody, coupled with a culture that is supremely individualistic, these two combinations are in direct contradiction to each other. If we are all individuals, we should be able to see how all individuals think, whether we agree with it or not, and while it may get us upset at times, we don't have to fight it, we can use it as a heartbeat monitor for what our society's real prejudices and problems are, so that we can figure out the root cause of these problems, and fix them.

If however we censor things, tell people they aren't allowed to say _____, then what is actually a good intention (keeping filth off the website), ends up having an unintended effect, it sweeps the real problem under the rug, and its never fixed, only hidden.

That is my reasoning for thinking the way I do on this subject, maybe is misguided but I feel like its a good reason.

For the record though, I hate half the trash some of these people talk about on this forum, but mixed within the garbage, there are hidden "gems" of genius, many of these "gems" would not exist without pressure from the idiots, which causes these intelligent people to have to create these "gems".

Its the dialectic, its how knowledge moves forward. Despite what we've been told, its not books, degrees, or anything of the sort, most of it comes down to just talking back and forth, disagreeing, proving the other person wrong, over and over and over again, until we come to a conclusion that is LESS wrong than what we started with, books serve only to catalog the knowledge we have accumulated thus far so that people continuing to carry on the argument don't have to start all over again once the arguer dies.

The unintended effect of allowing everything to be said is that the board would then become littered with "killbot is a whore" threads. Now I personally don't care if you're a whore or not, but let's be serious here: that isn't the way to discuss anything on here.

The issue isn't with "pottymouths" per se, but rather with people who feel they have free speech on a private board. So by actively censoring them, we are proving them wrong time and time again.

Typically, this is what happens:

1. Let's say I start a thread called "Killbot is a whore"

2. You come in and say that you're not a whore.

3. I then say "You are a whore and I hope you die of a disease."

4. You then come up with proof that you're not a whore.

5. I then say "you are a whore and you've sucked so and so's (bleep) and blah blah blah"

6. We go back and forth for a time and then suddenly...

7. You call me a f---ing idiot and then say that you hope I die in some horrible car crash.

Suddenly, the entire thing turns into a flame war in the name of "free speech in Real Life." No gem (which only happens about 1% of the time on any board), just you and me calling each other whatever name we decide to call each other today. The problem isn't with people that don't know, but rather the ones who think that being belligerent will make them right.

In addition to this, here is the gem for this argument, which is what will most likely happen should the petty name callers be able to continue:

When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make. Until you face mobs of psychology, you will not see my side.

Until you see some bright-eyed player coming onto the forums wanting to know what they should spec as this class, and see them shat on and driven away by petty and selfish people who are simply leveraging for game buffs, you will not understand.

You will not understand until you have to see it daily, for years...

Until you understand that many people will trod over you to get where they're going, or to get what they want.

Until you understand that so many people will agree, completely, 100% with a loud, vulgar and assertive individual, not because he is right, but because he is making a stand against "the Man"; to take no critical thought in what they say, but simply to hop on board.

Until you actually try to acknowledge those who do not speak on the forums, for whatever reason they have, you will not understand.

If you think an archaic business formula like "the customer is always right" works, you fail to understand customers, not a customer. It is a collective. No one person, even myself, is truly above the whole.

I simply have the unfortunate quality of being easily singled out.

I say we don't head down this path.

I have to agree with killbot on this one. But Nonny is also correct to say that not everything is free to be said. We live in a civilized society and deserve to be treated as one. End of story.

The unintended effect of allowing everything to be said is that the board would then become littered with "killbot is a whore" threads.

Not if there are certain topics that are specifically places where people are fairly free to speak while topic creation in general is more restrictive. There could be something akin to the "Great Debates" only with select controversial topics.

Another problem with vanishing topics is that they don't teach people what to avoid doing like leaving topics locked and visible does and allow moderators to waste posters' time by facilitating the deletion of reasonable material due to excessive political agenda bias. I've seen forums where moderators delete topics because they don't like positive things to be said about {censored} people, literally. One of those moderators accuses anyone who says anything positive about a {censored} person (even having people agree with that person's views) to be posting propaganda. Since the topics vanish, the public doesn't see this moderator's bad behavior very well. It's quite convenient for bad moderation, but not helpful for a quality forum.

That forum, a tennis forum, also deletes topics that call for racquet regulation. I've seen a badminton forum that bans posters who question the proof regarding corporate marketing (like nanocode technology in racquets). A forum like that, of course, is beyond help, as banning people prevents any discourse whatsoever.