Mental Health Reform

26 posts in this topic

Well at least where I live there is a huge focus on the Mental Health system and I was wondering if you all thought it was working and if you think it is than please provide proof. In my opinion it has screwed up the mental health system so much. For instance because a company called Value Options has taken over all control over authorizing service they approved all plans submited within a 6 month period causing the state of NC to over-bill by 59 billion dollars. So I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

I don't think our country (the US) does nearly enough to address mental illness. I don't think either lawmakers or regular people seem to care much, it's really sad, I suppose its easier to stay close minded and blame people for the things they can't help...

took the words out of my mouth. its prolly in human nature to be close minded like that tho, only when you start to suffer from something that you start to feel for others (most of the time at least). take care everyone

its prolly in human nature to be close minded like that tho, only when you start to suffer from something that you start to feel for others (most of the time at least). take care everyone

Or people are desensitized to real mental issues because more and more unwarranted and unprovable claims of mental issues are used as excuses for behaviour.

I'll take the opposite side of the issue. We spend 10 Billion dollars a year for education for the mental retardation and less than a billion on the gifted. I hate to sound cruel, but that seems messed up.

I'll take the opposite side of the issue. We spend 10 Billion dollars a year for education for the mental retardation and less than a billion on the gifted. I hate to sound cruel, but that seems messed up.

Source? I don't get what you mean about 'gifted' either. High schools offer AP and IB courses. What more could gifted students need?

So true.

At my school, they have a program called 'Skill Force'

Depending on who you ask, it's either a program to help the disadvantaged get vocational qualifications or rewarding the people that misbehave, disrupt classes and waste teacher's time and the school's money

@E3

Hmmm, I think it was in Time....maybe Newsweek....

But yeah it is frustrating when schools spend more time educating the ones who do NOT wanna do anything with their life instead of the ones that do. Not saying that we should abandon them, but still.

But yeah it is frustrating when schools spend more time educating the ones who do NOT wanna do anything with their life instead of the ones that do. Not saying that we should abandon them, but still.

What more could schools do for students that want to learn or are 'gifted'? At the end all that matters is that you get your diploma and get a decent gpa if you plan on going to college.

I don't think our country (the US) does nearly enough to address mental illness. I don't think either lawmakers or regular people seem to care much, it's really sad, I suppose its easier to stay close minded and blame people for the things they can't help...

Yeah, I agree. Here in the US they even sometimes abuse mentally disabled people.

It doesn't matter that you know the stuff well enough to succeed later on?

What stuff do they need to learn well enough to succeed later on? Most jobs aren't going to use physics, algebra II, american history or anything like that. And if you're going to have a career where what you learn is intensive, (i.e. doctor, lawyer) everything is covered in college and graduate school.

What you learn in school is pretty useless, what does matter is that you graduate. Work experience will always be necessary to nab the high paying jobs.

I'm not sure colleges will walk the mentally ill by hand through college to get them to succeed and if they did would you really want that to be your doctor?

What does that have to do with anything I said?

Ugh I've been spun around so many times (not by anyone, just merely from reading and keeping track of 20 other topics) I don't feel like discussing this anymore..... hope we do a better job taking care of both extremes in intelligence is all I can say.

Honestly, to tell you the truth...we live in a SOCIETY, and we have shared responsibility to make sure that everyone in this country, regardless of race, age, or mental capacity is doing alright.

If this statistic is true, I feel that it is perfectly ok, the reason being is that mentally retarded people need more help than gifted people to succeed, help costs money. I accept the cost.

I'm really sorry to appear very cold by saying this, but I don't really see mentally retarded people working in high paying jobs. It sucks, but that's what genetics does to ya and the only way to change this is to get highly educated people (gifted) to study it .

I'm really sorry to appear very cold by saying this, but I don't really see mentally retarded people working in high paying jobs. It sucks, but that's what genetics does to ya and the only way to change this is to get highly educated people (gifted) to study it .

I never said high paying jobs, I said "making sure everybody is alright" which does not mean high paying, it means middle of the road.

If one is gifted and they possess the social skills needed to survive in today's society, they will be fine, it does not make any sense to put money into a group of people who are going to be just fine, it makes a lot more sense to put money into people who drain the whole, in the hopes that they will no longer drain the whole in the future.

And for that matter study what? You said study "it". Please define "it".

Djet, you still haven't explained what more 'gifted' students need. The vast majority of students want to do the least amount of work possible. Plus, to get the jobs that would require one to be gifted, one most certainly go to college.

http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/diamond_use.htm

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/learningabout...lentschools.asp

http://lrnlab.edfac.usyd.edu.au/postgrad/e.../hanafi-asmore/

This one is good:

Feuerstein, a clinical psychologist, initially developed his theories more than 50 years ago while working with Israeli children who had been separated from their parents by the holocaust. Due to their low IQ scores, these children were considered cognitively hopeless. Upon further testing however, Feuerstein and his colleagues found that their true potential did not surface in standard IQ tests. They hypothesised that their poor performance in conventional intelligence test was attributed to undeveloped cognitive functions which stem from their culturally-deprived background. (Feuerstein, 1980). Through his subsequent work and clinical research with underachieving individuals, Feuerstein developed the theories of Structural Cognitive Modifiability and the related Mediated Learning Experience.

Comes from the third source.