A Century Of War In America

33 posts in this topic

An abridged history of American-centric warfare, from WWII to present day, told through the foods of the countries in conflict.

A breakdown of who's who

1. The World

2. WWII - Holocaust / French surrender / London Bombing / Pearl Harbor / Battle of Midway / D-day / fall of Berlin / Hiroshima

3. Arab-Israeli War

- Brits leave Israel

- Israel expands territory

4. Korean War

- China and Russia back the North

- The US back the South

5. Cuban Missile Crisis

6. Viet Nam

- China and Russia back the North

- The US back the South

7. Cold War

- Arms race

8. Intifada

9. Gulf War

- Iraq invades Kuwait

- Scuds

- Smart bomb

10. 9/11

11. Afghanistan

12. Gulf War II

- Shock and awe

- IED

13. Bug Food

Why don't you point fingers to the U.N?

They are the ones that said Sadam should be removed, and Iraq should be left with depleted uranium all over their oil fields.

The U.K. is part of the U.N. too.

Why not tell the truth?

No need to point fingers guys.

A lot of people from a lot of countries already acted this way before, and see what it leads to...

WAR.

Let's be friends :(

if not for Americans, Europeans would be speaking German today

how quickly they forget

Seriously, why does America seem to think they won the war for us?

Granted, you helped, but America was one of many countries fighting in World War 2.

Let's not forget that you joined pretty late too...

if not for Americans, Europeans would be speaking German todayhow quickly they forget

If your not in it from the start your not in it at all.America would not have had a hope in hell with out the UK or Russia. America only entered the war when they were attacked. The UK when Poland was Attacked in 1939.

If we didn't make a stand at first the world would be very different than it was today.Dont forget America it was the Russians first to Berlin and it was the Russians who lost by far the most men.

It was the British who cracked he Enigma code and Developed Radar.It was the UK who was getting bombed, it was the UK on rationing and it was the UK who were in it from the beginning to the end. Not 3 in years by when Nazi Germany was loosing ground.

America stupidly got caught by surprise by an attack on Pearl Harbour 3 years into a world war before they joined the Allies. Land of the brave, yeah right. Land of hope and glory yes. Hope they dont start on them, if they do take the glory for other peoples hard work and bravery.

If you won WWII for us surely smaller countries would be a push over, Like Vietnam for instance.

Oh by the way what language do you speak.

Last time I checked, the UN weren't around in WWII

You are right: UN were founded when WWII was over...

@ erei33

Well,not all americans:some of them supported the war efforts (almost all countries),and other americans (from Canada,Brazil...) fought with the americans (from USA)

And the last time I checked, the UN did not endorse Iraq invasion.
You are out of touch with reality. They invaded Iraq under UN resolutions to remove saddam. Someone the U.N. put there in the first place. Now the UN wants to invade Iran, and Syria. Go open a history book.
You are right: UN were founded when WWII was over...@ erei33Well,not all americans:some of them supported the war efforts (almost all countries),and other americans (from Canada,Brazil...) fought with the americans (from USA)
And the land was donated by the largest Oil Tycoon on this planet.
America stupidly got caught by surprise by an attack on Pearl Harbour 3 years into a world war before they joined the Allies. Land of the brave, yeah right. Land of hope and glory yes. Hope they dont start on them, if they do take the glory for other peoples hard work and bravery.
During the previous night, German Panzer armies began withdrawing from their positions just west of the Kremlin itself, their invasion, Operation Barbarossa, thwarted by Soviet resistance and the arrival of a Russian winter. And as the Japanese Admiral Yamamoto commented, the attack on Pearl Harbor had "[awakened] a sleeping dragon."

Why don't you point fingers to the U.N?They are the ones that said Sadam should be removed, and Iraq should be left with depleted uranium all over their oil fields.The U.K. is part of the U.N. too.Why not tell the truth?
I'm from the UK. I agree. Period.
if not for Americans, Europeans would be speaking German todayhow quickly they forget
Russia, mate, Russia. Not the USA. You joined 3 years too late.
If your not in it from the start your not in it at all.America would not have had a hope in hell with out the UK or Russia. America only entered the war when they were attacked. The UK when Poland was Attacked in 1939.If we didn't make a stand at first the world would be very different than it was today.Dont forget America it was the Russians first to Berlin and it was the Russians who lost by far the most men. It was the British who cracked he Enigma code and Developed Radar.It was the UK who was getting bombed, it was the UK on rationing and it was the UK who were in it from the beginning to the end. Not 3 in years by when Nazi Germany was loosing ground.America stupidly got caught by surprise by an attack on Pearl Harbour 3 years into a world war before they joined the Allies. Land of the brave, yeah right. Land of hope and glory yes. Hope they dont start on them, if they do take the glory for other peoples hard work and bravery. If you won WWII for us surely smaller countries would be a push over, Like Vietnam for instance.Oh by the way what language do you speak.
Spot on mate. 20 million Russians died in that war, and how many Americans? Not... QUITE... 20 million is it?

You are out of touch with reality. They invaded Iraq under UN resolutions to remove saddam. Someone the U.N. put there in the first place. Now the UN wants to invade Iran, and Syria. Go open a history book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Security_C...Resolution_1441

At this point, the US Administration asserted that Iraq remained in material breach of the UN Resolutions, and that, under 1441, this meant the Security Council had to convene immediately "in order to consider the situation and the need for full compliance with all of the relevant Council resolutions in order to secure international peace and security".

Before the meeting took place, French president Jacques Chirac declared on March 10 that France would veto any resolution which would automatically lead to war. This caused open displays of dismay by the US and British governments. The drive by Britain for unanimity and a "second resolution" was effectively abandoned at that point.

In the leadup to the meeting, it became apparent that a majority of UNSC members would oppose any resolution leading to war. As a result, no such resolution was put to the Council.

If America continues down its present course, it wont be here in 100 years. Plain and simple. I am not only referring to war, I am referring as well to imperialism, corruption, lack of education, lack of innovation, lack of solidarity.

I agree that we need to do some extensive budget reform and withdraw from all countries (including Germany and South Korea), but you're a bit off with the other things listed.

Education: Sure, the US could repeal 'No Child Left Behind' and put more money into our schools. This would make is on par with Western Europe and other nations, yes. But that would serve no real purpose. In modern society the purpose of schooling is to keep young people off of the job market simply because there aren't enough jobs. The current education system in the US does a great job of keeping young people out of the work force and will continue to do so. If our schools taught young people more, it would not matter because they have no real use for the more advanced topics anyway. If our schools better prepared young people for the work force, they would have to compete with older people that had years of job experience as opposed to advanced schooling.

Innovation: I really don't see how the US lacks innovation, we're no worse than the rest of the world and are making progress.

Solidarity: With a country as large and diverse as ours, nationalism and togetherness in general works very different than in most countries. Here in the south there is probably more 'southern pride' than there is 'American pride' in all truth.

I agree that we need to do some extensive budget reform and withdraw from all countries (including Germany and South Korea), but you're a bit off with the other things listed.

Education: Sure, the US could repeal 'No Child Left Behind' and put more money into our schools. This would make is on par with Western Europe and other nations, yes. But that would serve no real purpose. In modern society the purpose of schooling is to keep young people off of the job market simply because there aren't enough jobs. The current education system in the US does a great job of keeping young people out of the work force and will continue to do so. If our schools taught young people more, it would not matter because they have no real use for the more advanced topics anyway. If our schools better prepared young people for the work force, they would have to compete with older people that had years of job experience as opposed to advanced schooling.

Innovation: I really don't see how the US lacks innovation, we're no worse than the rest of the world and are making progress.

Solidarity: With a country as large and diverse as ours, nationalism and togetherness in general works very different than in most countries. Here in the south there is probably more 'southern pride' than there is 'American pride' in all truth.

Wow, I guess I was just mistaken with the notion that education was about educating the public, not a segway to a {censored} career, or using it as a tool to keep people out of the work force. I always thought education is/or ought to be completely separate from ones career unless ones education is explicitly needed for ones career (Chemist, Astrophysicist, professor, etc.)

The US isn't lacking innovation yet, but if we continue to raise stupid people, and forget to teach them even the basics, just watch, creativity and innovation will go strait out the window

I don't see nationalism or patriotism in this country, I dont see that at all. I see some people with blind patriotism in their hearts without any regard for the implications of this blind patriotism, I see people who live here who do not even consider themselves Americans, and I see intense and unabashed apathy, and as for the people who do consider themselves american and do care about this country, there is bitter division, now...I dont see how in any way shape or form this represents solidarity.

When I speak of our nation's problems, I am not only talking about now, I am talking about the future, where we are heading in relation to now.

If America continues down its present course, it wont be here in 100 years. Plain and simple. I am not only referring to war, I am referring as well to imperialism, corruption, lack of education, lack of innovation, lack of solidarity.
If America's government continues down its present course, it wont be here in 10 years. Plain and simple. I am not only referring to war, I am referring as well to imperialism, corruption, and lack of education.
Wow, I guess I was just mistaken with the notion that education was about educating the public, not a segway to a {censored} career, or using it as a tool to keep people out of the work force. I always thought education is/or ought to be completely separate from ones career unless ones education is explicitly needed for ones career (Chemist, Astrophysicist, professor, etc.)The US isn't lacking innovation yet, but if we continue to raise stupid people, and forget to teach them even the basics, just watch, creativity and innovation will go strait out the windowI don't see nationalism or patriotism in this country, I dont see that at all. I see some people with blind patriotism in their hearts without any regard for the implications of this blind patriotism, I see people who live here who do not even consider themselves Americans, and I see intense and unabashed apathy, and as for the people who do consider themselves american and do care about this country, there is bitter division, now...I dont see how in any way shape or form this represents solidarity.When I speak of our nation's problems, I am not only talking about now, I am talking about the future, where we are heading in relation to now.
hmmmm. Someone is STARTING to wake up. :P
Exactly.The UN is responsible for all the wars after WWII, slavery, starvation in many places, biofuels that deny food to the hungry countries, and Eugenics.They are all public knowledge. Look them up.

if not for Americans, Europeans would be speaking German today

how quickly they forget

If not for other Founding Fathers, AMerica would be too.

Ben Franklin wnated it

If America's government continues down its present course, it wont be here in 10 years. Plain and simple. I am not only referring to war, I am referring as well to imperialism, corruption, and lack of education.

May I ask: out of Clinton, Obama, and McCain, who do you want to be President?

May I ask: out of Clinton, Obama, and McCain, who do you want to be President?

I know you weren't directing this question at me, but I'll take a stab at it.

OUT OF THE PEOPLE that are left:

NOT Clinton: expects the presidency, feels she is entitled to it (this should cross her off the list right here).

NOT McCain: McCain used to be somewhat cool, he did his own {censored} and he wasn't in bed with business like many other candidates, but starting in about 2003-2004 his policies started to mirror Bush's in a lot of ways, and I just can't imagine our country in 8 more years, with this {censored} going on.

MAYBE Obama: Was a more unlikely candidate than these other two, less time in the federal government, he has more experience from being in different facets of the Country's system (Political Science Lecturer, State Senator, US senator). Regardless of what he says, he gets the people involved and looking at government, while Hillary Clinton is saying "I will fix all your problems for you, just vote for me" and John McCain is is saying: "there isn't a problem, times are tough, deal with it." He has tried to maintain a positive campaign thus far, but Hillary Clinton makes this very difficult. She has said that she will try to convert Obama's pledged delegates to her side, extremely undemocratic and a dirty trick to try to get the presidency. He is more liberal than either Clinton or McCain, and I honestly think that our country needs a little liberalness right now. Also, if the rest of the world sees that we go from George W. Bush to this guy, they will be able to reconcile with our country for all its failed foreign policy.

Whether Obama realizes it or not, he has sparked something in a lot of people to care more, and to get involved, and regardless of his experience, etc. I feel that this factor that he has is one important step to making America a better place. I realize he's got his problems for sure, but look at the other candidates and you'll find similar things, the media can definitely make something out of nothing.

@Killbot

I don't like any of the candidate.... but I'm personally against Obama. The message of "Hope" is great and all but I don't hear any substance......

Also why do you think the whole world will reconcile us if we get Obama in as president....

*Gets on soapbox*

I think if we are to get anywhere in the messes of the election and frankly a lot of other areas, we need to do something about the media. The blow a lot out of proportion, they put in a heavy bias on about everything, and they don't understand the word privacy. Somethings in the gov't are better left out of the publics' mind...

I think if we are to get anywhere in the messes of the election and frankly a lot of other areas, we need to do something about the media.

I agree BUT the 'media' is owned by only several companies. You know what they want you to know. The Internet is one of the last independent sources around.

I agree with killbot1000 in that Obama is the lesser of evils to choose from. No he's not perfect but he IS the best of the 3 that we have, unless someone else gets into the race.