The Newbies FAQ to Mac OSx86

~pcwiz

150 posts in this topic

Great FAQ pcwiz

If you have PC EFI installed (covered next), then you can install any update without worry.
I've heard that it's possible your system might break even if you have pc_efi with vanilla kernal. I'm not sure if it's true but just wanted to throw that in.

If you are dual booting OSx86 and Windows XP there is an easy option, chain0.
What about just sticking to Darwin bootloader itself? Edited by Mebster
Silly me. I quoted the same thing twice

Yeah, some people have said that updates break your system but they must have done something weird because I've applied every update that has ever come out for Tiger and Leo and nothing has happened.

What do you mean by "sticking to the Darwin bootloader itself"?

:P Thanks for checking this out

~pcwiz

Good job ~pcwiz.

I would add a few points:

a) Point out irc.osx86.hu for latest kernels etc...

B) Include a section on installing from a retail DVD. IMHO it's far superior to the "pre-patched DVD style" as you know exactly which kexts are edited and you'll need to keep an eye on in updates. It boils down to:

• Attach your HD (external or internal) to another hacky or "real" mac.
  • Use terminal to start install from a retail DVD onto your HD.
  • Install PC_EFI
  • Copy dsmos.kext, into your new install.
  • Once you boot into your new install add kexts as required to make a fully working OS.

This should be easy to do for anyone who has a bit of OS X / *nix experience under their belt, but is a newb to the hacky scene. Bit more work at the beginning, saves a lot of messing around later. (Plus you get all the extra OS X goodies that have been ripped out to make the patched CDs fit onto a single layer DVD.)

c) Point out that surround (5.1) sound requires a creation of an aggregate device, and works with ANY codec/patch you used to get sound working. ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87336 ) It will avoid the "I followed xxxx and got sound working on my xxxx, but I can't get 5.1 to work!" posts.

Noom,

The Leo Graphics Update gives you additional graphics support for various cards. And it goes along with the 10.5.2 update so its typical to install the graphics update after updating to 10.5.2 :thumbsup_anim:

envying,

Thanks, and I know thats the correct name but people refer to it as OSx86, so I'll leave it that way to keep things simple.

consolation,

I've added all that stuff.

In other words can u rectify your windows system if it doesnt work or does it permanatly change the computer.

Is there any posibility of an update fo this that doesnt require a cd booted.

Backup everything from your Windows installation. You are making permanent changes.

Dear PC Wizz,

I know this is a real stupid question but i can't find the answer to it for some time now (Maybe because i'm dutch) so here it goes.

Once I get the right hardware, can I just use the installation disc from my Macbook? (It's Mac OS-X Tiger)

Thanks Gabe ;) And a big thankyou to pcwiz for putting everything together, this make is easy for me to understand as a non programmer and I want to try this ..... when i get a computer fast enough to support this (damn u 7 year old PC with 2000).

Just to confirm, You can't just boot from the cd and then just boot windows all other times. (school laptop where school doesn't want us to install a new OS)and can i run it inside windows otherwise (i'm allowed to do this)

Thanks all you've done a great job :)

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome.

Yeah if you want to run it native you have to install it onto a separate partition and dual boot. But it is possible to install within Windows using VMware. It is very slow however and only Tiger is confirmed working, no Leopard for sure yet.

ok that covers alot of stuff....

but.. there's one thing... I installed the iatkos one, 10.5.1 leopard, and it works fine..

but i wanted to know if i could normally install stuff like iLife, because i installed imovie and when i try to open it

it says quit unexpectedly and when i looked at the error report is said :

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NsInternalInconsistencyException' ,

reason: 'creating more than one application'

If anyone could please help, that would be great, cause the only reason i installed mac was to be able to use Imovie..

thanks.

Update iMovie and it should work. But tawakol, that is not a general question and thereforce CANNOT be placed in the FAQ. The FAQ goes through how to troubleshoot a problem, thats what you should have done ;)

what do u mean by updating imovie? you mean getting a higher version?

the one i was trying to install was imovie 7.. do i need to use 8?

i looked all over the internet..

but what i meant was you should add whether or not you can normally install

programs on the hackintosh.. but its a great faq tho.. helped me a bunch :rolleyes:

You can obviously run normal programs on a hackintosh, otherwise OSx86 would be useless. I mean use Apple Software Update to update iMovie and iLife. iMovie 06 and iMovie 08 both work fine, not sure what you mean by iMovie 7. But whatever version of iMovie you are installing, it has to be Intel/Universal Binary, can't be a PPC version.