The Newbies FAQ to Mac OSx86

~pcwiz

150 posts in this topic

SonicNZ,

You can leave them plugged in ;)

metaljay,

Very sorry, this page should help better.

that guide is not very helpful

i have a recovery partition on s1 and vista s2

when i try boot leo4all, i format the drive to mac journaled extended, but when i try darwin boot loader, its not there in utilities???

Hey,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to pcwiz! For all his dedication and hard work to this thread and to the community in general.

You are by far the most polite, accommodating and helpful person in this forum. A true credit to the OSX scene.

Cheers mate & keep up the great work,

davejones

Hi PCWiz,

Can I please ask if it is actually at all possible to has OSX & Windows XP (x32-bit) & Vista (x32 bit) all running on a single HDD, on a GUID partition?

I have researched a fair amount, but it quite confusing as very, very few people gurantee it works (but when asked how, they dont reply) and most other people say you can do it but it has to be on an MBR partition or it will only work with x64 bit versions on Windows???

Can you confirm which is true and possibily point to a guide details the process?

Cheers mate,

davejones

PS Your very welcome, you deserve your recognition

Hi PCWiz,

So what your saying is that I can have:

1x 1TB PHYSICAL HDD (with 2x 500GB MBR NTFS partitions) running with Windows XP (x32) & Vista (x64)

AND

1x 500GB PHYSICAL HDD with a GUID partition running OSX Leopard

All working on one single PC, and be able to select what OS I want to boot to?...

Cheers,

davejones

So I can triple boot, with different OS'es (on different file formats) on different partitions = as long as there on different HDD's. All on one PC, without any problems with any bootloaders or boot menu's?... Can you please point me to a guide that details this process?...

Once again thank you! :D

Cheers,

davejones

Easiest way to do it would be to use EasyBCD with Vista. So here is what I am assuming your config looks like:

1TB HDD ==> Vista bootloader ==> Boot either XP or Vista

500GB HDD ==> Darwin bootloader ==> Boot OS X

With Easy BCD, you could add an OS X entry to the Vista bootloader to boot OS X. So heres what it would look like then ==>

BIOS Set to boot from 1TB Hard Drive ==> Vista bootloader ==> Boot Vista or XP from the 1TB hard drive and Boot OS X from the 500GB Drive

More on that here:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Mac+OS+X

The problem with chain0 is that it doesn't seem to work well with Vista. It works on XP. The problem in this case is that if he has Vista and XP on the same drive, its most likely that the Vista bootloader would be the one in use (assuming you installed XP first then Vista), and therefore chain0 would not work. EasyBCD is very convenient because it has built in support for OS X, and plus you end up with one single compact boot menu to choose your OS.

Yeah, maybe chain0 wont work, but since he is planning to use GUID for Mac OS the boot0 could work.

There is also a trick, when you have XP installed first the Bootloader on Vista add the entries of XP to the boot menu, and chain0 works fine in this scenario, boo0 could work also.

I've had my HackIntosh for a few weeks now. Never saw this thread before :) but wish I had. :tomato:

Excellent info ;) I'll be able to use some of it for my new build.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Doc

Hi again PCWiz,

I begging for any help or advise on a huge issue I've been having:

I have an onboard AD1988B soundcard, but every time I install either AppleAzalia.pkg or Taruga's AD1988b installer rev 3, the sound works straight away but after a reboot the audio disappears (icon & entries under Built-In Audio)

I have repaired permissions on \System\Library\Extensions and cleared all the kext caches, but it still keeps happening.

Thank you for your time & advise once again mate.

Peculiar problem...repair permissions for the entire disk, clear kext cache. I don't know what to suggest other than that, haven't heard of anything like that happening before. What DVD are you using? Maybe trying a different DVD will help.

I manually delete the Extensions.mkext and the folder called "Caches" in \System\Library\Extensions.

I then run the commands to 775 & root:wheel & touch the Extensions fodler.

And lastly I run Disk Utility to repair permissions on my GUID partition (also tried MacPilot & Onyx to repair).

I am using a Retail DVD Vanilla install, following the guide from LTL after I had the same problem using Kalyway 10.5.2 (I've tried different Kernels & AppleSMBIOS's on both - with zero luck).

But as soon as I reboot everything is gone again... :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned that maybe I have a another soundcard driver starting up & initializing, before the one's I try to install. If so, what do you think maybe safe to remove from my Extensions folder?...

Cheers again mate,

davejones

Yeah, another sound driver might be interfering. Backup and delete AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext (if it exists), etc. If it still doesn't work I suggest a patched DVD install.