Discontinued

iNoob

155 posts in this topic

Thanks for the great work iNoob! This driver works great(almost) on my GA-m55plus-s3g rev1.0 !

I can browse the web no problem, I can download 4gb+ torrents no problem!

The one problem I do have though is with local networking. I have a 500gb Time Capsule that I use as my router and my desktop is connected via ethernet to the Time Capsule. I can see other wireless computers(I also have a Macbook Pro) on my network, but I cannot connect to them (yes file sharing/remote desktop management is all turned on). I can ping them, and get data back, but I cannot connect via afp or ssh. It says connection refused. I can also ping the desktop from my MBP.

I know it's not a problem with my sharing settings, because I also have a wireless DWL-g122 dongle that i've tested on the system, and with the wireless dongle i'm able to connect and manage the desktop remotely. I'd also like to be able to connect to my time capsule to backup the system, but when connected via ethernet it cannot see the time capsule, only via wireless can it see the time capsule.

Any ideas? How should I begin troubleshooting?

Thanks for any advice!

You should try the AFP share fixer that is on this forum. Unfortunately, I can't remember where it is.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I can't seem to find the AFP share fixer and the search doesn't seem to be working for me right now...

Let me try to articulate my problem a little bit better. Screen sharing works both TO and FROM the hackintosh. When I try to connect to the hackintosh from my MBP via SMB or AFP I get nothing. It just times out. When I try to connect to my MBP FROM my hackintosh, I get a message:

"The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should begin with afp://, at://, file://, ftp://, http://, https://, nfs://, smb:// cifs://, or vnc://"

I'm definately entering "afp://10.0.1.200" So I don't understand why it doesn't recognize it as a valid address. Is there some file somewhere that specifies the proper format of a URL?

• 2 weeks later...

hi

sry but i have to post this: PLEASE HELP ME I'M GOING CRAZY :P

i have the asus m2n-e mobo but i#m unable to get my lan connectet. leopard (10.5.2) doesnät even regognize the adapter.

i tried your kext but without success :D also my 3com 905 doen't work and is not recognized, too ("no pci card...bla bla bla")

i use the efi version. what did i wrong? :D

best regards 3Sys

additive i can say, that installing a kext file is curios:

after tyoing: "sudo -s" (when i have a password) there comes :"bash 3.2" :)

without a password nothing happens

until yet driver installing only worked with a .pkg file can somebody build this or teach me how i can handle this :)

greetings from rainy germany ;) 3Sys

3Sys: You need to get Kext Helper. It will help you a lot.

Also try learning a bit more about UNIX.

The AFP fix is called "MPIP103".

If you're having panics with dual-core CPUs, try "cpus=1" without the quotes. This will disable dual-core functionality, but at least it will work :)

Hey Inoob,

I tried your kext but it give's me a 169.xx.xx.xx adress. I tried filling it in manually but still no connection to the internet. I will try to unplug my router and computer in the evening but i dont think that is the answer.

My setup:

Asus P5N32-E SLI

Q6600 @ stock speed

4Gb Corsair Dominator PC6400 CL4

Is there any other way to get het 88E1116 to work?

Hi iNoob

YOU ARE THE BEST!

I have done it with the kext helper first the familiar error kame but after tipxng a new password it works :)

Many thx 3Sys

P.S i have Mac for about 4 days - i'm still learning ;)

Hi,

I'm using Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (Nforce 570 MCP). The driver seems to work with a few issues. Upon first boot, I had to switch it off and then on again in system preferences, then it would retrieve DHCP info (it would only say "connected" before toggling this). Other than that, there are a couple of issues:

1) While I get sustained inbound speed of 50 Mbyte/sec (about what I would expect), outbound speed is quite limited to a few hundred Kbytes/sec, so it doesn't make it useful for serving or uploading with any reasonable speed.

2) Bonjour is still broken, so no AFP file sharing or itunes sharing. This issue seems to afflict many hackintosh NIC's, and this is no exception.

Some config info:

$ ifconfig -a

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128

gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280

stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280

en1: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:1b:fc:03:ea:be

media: autoselect status: inactive

supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none

en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet 192.168.15.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.15.255

ether 00:1b:fc:03:e7:6c

media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active

supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none

fw0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030

lladdr 00:11:d8:00:01:42:1c:1f

media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive

supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

fw1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030

lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:32

media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive

supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

en0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:15:af:0f:b6:40

media: autoselect (<unknown type>)

supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex>

en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:1%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9

ether 00:1c:42:00:00:01

media: autoselect status: active

supported media: autoselect

en4: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:0%en4 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xa

ether 00:1c:42:00:00:00

media: autoselect status: active

supported media: autoselect

$ uname -a

Darwin pixel.local 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

$

Ha ha ha ha ha I am Doctor Frankenstein :) I have made an nForce LAN driver using Forcedeth and nForceEthernetController, but I need subjec... er... testers! to make it work properly. So, please help me doing this! Also give me your opinion! Thx planetbeing and MikeInS for this!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you use this driver and your LAN is still not working, unplug you computer for 30 secs or so. Also try unpluggin' your modem for 30s-1m.

I had that exact problem on a Intel laptop with a RTL8139 card. About the serach, use Google like this:

serach term site:insanelymac.com

Good news. I installed the MPIP103 share fixer that you linked and I can now connect and copy from both sides (MBP & hackintosh) with AFP/SMB etc.

The only problem (and it's purely aesthetic) is that the icons for my shares (MBP & Time Machine) show up as generic PCs now, instead of the nice neat laptop icon & time machine icon. I'm sure this is just a matter of me changing an identifier somewhere, but I don't know where to begin looking for this. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks for all your help!

Ha ha ha ha ha I am Doctor Frankenstein :P I have made an nForce LAN driver using Forcedeth and nForceEthernetController, but I need subjec... er... testers! to make it work properly. So, please help me doing this! Also give me your opinion! Thx planetbeing and MikeInS for this!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you use this driver and your LAN is still not working, unplug you computer for 30 secs or so. Also try unpluggin' your modem for 30s-1m.

Oh, My, God!

DUDE!

ive been trying to get this working for HOURS! thank you so much!!! kick ass!

MSN: Xadacka@gmail.com

i have an evga 680i sli mobo, xfx 7600 gt xxx, ide dvd drive, two sata HD's..one 300Gig-xp pro...one 150-kaylway 10.5.2 dvd.

Your two drivers have been the only thing that has gotten my ethernet ports to connect. i will post again when i find out about the limits of my connections...such as torrents downloads etc.

Good news. I installed the MPIP103 share fixer that you linked and I can now connect and copy from both sides (MBP & hackintosh) with AFP/SMB etc.

The only problem (and it's purely aesthetic) is that the icons for my shares (MBP & Time Machine) show up as generic PCs now, instead of the nice neat laptop icon & time machine icon. I'm sure this is just a matter of me changing an identifier somewhere, but I don't know where to begin looking for this. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks for all your help!

I don't have that problem, but try looking on /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle. Also be sure that the MBP isn't using SMB. Try using "Connect to Server" with a url like afp://mbp_ip.

Thanks dude!

Got mine running as well (Asus P5N e-SLI) on Leopard 10.5.2 (iAtkos ir3 + Kalyway 10.5.2 update + GFX Update).

Installed your kext with Kext Helper (smooooth install) - of course did the 30 sec unplug as well ;)

So far all works great -- will report when freezes/crashes occure.

EDIT:

OK ... as reported by others .... I got too happy too fast ... works great with Internet - crashes when moving larger files over the network :)

No I do not wish to use the cpu=1 feature ... I have a quad core CPU and would like to use it to it's full potential.

Well, since MikeInS violated the GPL licence of the forcedeth driver, and so not releasing not even a .diff file so I can patch myself "forcedeth.cpp". I don't know about C++, and releasing a operating system that relies on it is a bit dumb. C is a lot better, it's like "if temp_sensor_1 is 125mv then printf "31 C" end".

Well, since MikeInS violated the GPL licence of the forcedeth driver, and so not releasing not even a .diff file so I can patch myself "forcedeth.cpp". I don't know about C++, and releasing a operating system that relies on it is a bit dumb. C is a lot better, it's like "if temp_sensor_1 is 125mv then printf "31 C" end".

Ok guys, just to put this myth to rest. First of MikeInNs didn't violate any GPL license, the forcedeth sourcecode is available at the same place iNoob got it from. That he didn't release his soure might be because the project never finished.

Second, but more important, I looked into this as well (got it working as well for the 88E1116, was a matter of including the LED status in the reset procedure) but I am no guru in any means but the freezes everyone is experiencing is not related to the forcedeth driver, there were some small bugs in the orginal code, for example not checking if a packet was inserted successfully into the queue etc (nill checking). The same freezing is also happening with MeDevils's SATA driver and even in some cases when no Forcedeth or MeDevil's drivers are installed at all.

The only thing I can conclude is that either the kernel or the USB driver(s) are not capable of working with the nForce chipset successfully. It all comes down how the interrupts are being handled. A nic can cause an enormous flood of interrupts, same with your IDE/SATA devices, some of these interrupt's are shared (multiple devices using the same interrupt) for some reason I think an interrupt ends ups up were it shouldn't (so an interrupt for the NIC was triggerd but was handeld by a different device).

So in my opinion, we will not be able to get our NIC and SATA etc working correctly until we figure out what goes wrong on a lower level.

I hope am wrong .....

So it may be related to AppleAPIC.kext. It handles the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller. It may not like dual core processors with the nForce APIC. Fortunately AppleAPIC.kext is a opensource Darwin component. Strange that it is, with my single core Sempron processor it runs smooooth.

i have p5n-e sli

running in dual core mode

works ok but after some time it just stops working

dhcp gets local ip, if i set static ip i cant ping the gateway etc

have to restart there kextunloading and kextloading again doesnt help

I tried using both of these on Kalaway 10.5.2, my specs are in sig, and it says connected, but it says Ethernet 2 has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect. I've tried shutting down for 30 secs, unplugging router and modem for 30, rebooting, but no luck. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[edit]

I went ahead and tried actually unplugging my machine for about 30 sec instead of just shutting it down, and once I plugged it back in and rebooted, I now have my internet working. The only thing, as has already been mentioned, is it isn't working 100%. For example, tried to stream music in iTunes, and it froze up, had to reboot. Otherwise, all is well. I didn't put cpus=1 as I have a dual core and want to use it to the max :(

[edit again]

looks like I have to unplug each time I power off/restart my machine to get it working.

Hi, someone (selfdestruct) apparently successfully used one of the drivers here on their 0x0373. Unfortunately, after looking through the source in workaround.zip, I couldn't really find any significant changes from the version I posted years ago, other than switching to IOGatedOutputQueue and fixing that error with ReplaceOrCopyPacket failing and initializing nicTx. There are also some buffer size changes, but theoretically, our code should produce the same results. I had already made most of those changes myself, so I'm confused why forcedeth doesn't work for him whereas this driver does.

iNoob, would you mind taking me through some of the changes you made and what you had to fix to get it to work? I'm also confused on how you managed to use MikeNS's work if you have no source. Is that what enabled it to work for him?

Also, guys, on the GPL: The terms of the GPL license clearly states that with EVERY binary distribution of the work, the source code either must be included or a written offer to deliver the source code clearly stated. It doesn't matter if it's the "final release" or just a test, it only matters that something is being released. Unfortunately, MikeInNs has neither published the source code or a written offer to give the source code, so he technically is in violation of the GPL.

Now, I think it's clearly just an oversight! And if we got in touch with him, he'd probably be happy to give us the source... if we could get in touch with him. =P But I think it's important to publish the source code with every release (I have done that). With forcedeth based stuff, I even made it pretty easy. The XCode build script will automatically zip up everything as a last step, including the source code. The resulting distribution is less "neat" for end users, but I think it's worth it to keep stuff like this from happening.

iNoob and any other interested parties: I've setup a git repository here with the latest version of what I have: http://github.com/planetbeing/forcedeth-osx/tree/master

It merges MeDevil's changes and a link change timer that hopefully will fix the issue for people being stuck on "network link down". The driver is quite stable on my machine with dual core and everything. The dual core issue was caused by the ReplaceOrCopyPacket bug. (Although I think yours and chuttenh's version of the fix is not quite ideal: on errors, you never reset the available bit on the packet so basically the NIC will think that packet is unavailable forever). I don't think there are any other stability related issues.

Anyway, PLEASE set up git and use this repository if you want to make changes to the code. Let's have one stable, good version of the driver for the entire family that always has all the bugfixes. :)

Hi, someone (selfdestruct) apparently successfully used one of the drivers here on their 0x0373. Unfortunately, after looking through the source in workaround.zip, I couldn't really find any significant changes from the version I posted years ago, other than switching to IOGatedOutputQueue and fixing that error with ReplaceOrCopyPacket failing and initializing nicTx. There are also some buffer size changes, but theoretically, our code should produce the same results. I had already made most of those changes myself, so I'm confused why forcedeth doesn't work for him whereas this driver does.

iNoob, would you mind taking me through some of the changes you made and what you had to fix to get it to work? I'm also confused on how you managed to use MikeNS's work if you have no source. Is that what enabled it to work for him?

Also, guys, on the GPL: The terms of the GPL license clearly states that with EVERY binary distribution of the work, the source code either must be included or a written offer to deliver the source code clearly stated. It doesn't matter if it's the "final release" or just a test, it only matters that something is being released. Unfortunately, MikeInNs has neither published the source code or a written offer to give the source code, so he technically is in violation of the GPL.

Now, I think it's clearly just an oversight! And if we got in touch with him, he'd probably be happy to give us the source... if we could get in touch with him. =P But I think it's important to publish the source code with every release (I have done that). With forcedeth based stuff, I even made it pretty easy. The XCode build script will automatically zip up everything as a last step, including the source code. The resulting distribution is less "neat" for end users, but I think it's worth it to keep stuff like this from happening.

iNoob and any other interested parties: I've setup a git repository here with the latest version of what I have: http://github.com/planetbeing/forcedeth-osx/tree/master

It merges MeDevil's changes and a link change timer that hopefully will fix the issue for people being stuck on "network link down". The driver is quite stable on my machine with dual core and everything. The dual core issue was caused by the ReplaceOrCopyPacket bug. (Although I think yours and chuttenh's version of the fix is not quite ideal: on errors, you never reset the available bit on the packet so basically the NIC will think that packet is unavailable forever). I don't think there are any other stability related issues.

Anyway, PLEASE set up git and use this repository if you want to make changes to the code. Let's have one stable, good version of the driver for the entire family that always has all the bugfixes. :)

Is this supposed to work with the LAN for P5N-E SLI? I tried using it but it just caused my installation to freeze... :angel: