intel pro 1000 & Marvell Yukon 88E8038 (probably many more)

snam11

106 posts in this topic

Hi Chun-Nan,

I can't test this kext file under 10.5.2 because my system refuse to load when I update to 10.5.2. It just freeze without any error message. I tried to put this beta kext but still can't load. So I revert back to 10.5.1. Anyone got this problem?

When I revert back to 10.5.1, all kexts file return to original kexts. Interestingly, I download this IOPCIFamily beta kext file for 10.5.2 & put it in my Extensions folder. That mean IOPCCardFamily kext file is still the original kext file from iATKOS r2 DVD. I reboot, both my cardbus adapter & my internal LAN adapter recognized & working. So, IOPCIFamily kext file play huge role in detecting hardware.

I attached here my dmesg under single user mode for your info (10.5.1).

Thank you. ;)

Hi Kizwan,

If you only replaced IOPCIFamily, try to replace both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily at the same time on 10.5.2. I found that the original IOPCCardFamily will cause big hang on my machine with TI xx12 once the PCCard controller is detected and activated, both on Tiger and Leopard.

Yes, if IOPCIFamily doesn't detect bridges/devices correctly or doesn't allocate the resrouces (memory, i/o, bus numbering), the related bridges/devices won't function correctly. In your case, for example, 3 of your bridges and related devices (wired ethernet bridge, wireless ethernet bridge and pccard bridge) were misconfigured by BIOS.

Chun-Nan

Hi kizwan,

I've got ethernet running now. Twas a stupid typo that i made when i rechecked my info.plist. Thanks as well to Chun-Nan. Patience was the order of the day here. Now it's just the intel 3945 wireless that need's attention. At the moment i can live with a wireless USB dongle.

Hi Kizwan,

If you only replaced IOPCIFamily, try to replace both IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily at the same time on 10.5.2. I found that the original IOPCCardFamily will cause big hang on my machine with TI xx12 once the PCCard controller is detected and activated, both on Tiger and Leopard.

Yes, if IOPCIFamily doesn't detect bridges/devices correctly or doesn't allocate the resrouces (memory, i/o, bus numbering), the related bridges/devices won't function correctly. In your case, for example, 3 of your bridges and related devices (wired ethernet bridge, wireless ethernet bridge and pccard bridge) were misconfigured by BIOS.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

I will try that later & let you know the result. I think I will download the 10.5.2 update directly from apple website instead using "Software Update". I did try move IOPCCardFamily.kext file to another location & try use 10.5.1 & test7 of IOPCIFamily.kext file, but my system still refused to load. Did you get the same problem (hang) when upgrade to 10.5.2?

Thank you. :blush:

Hi Chun-Nan,

I will try that later & let you know the result. I think I will download the 10.5.2 update directly from apple website instead using "Software Update". I did try move IOPCCardFamily.kext file to another location & try use 10.5.1 & test7 of IOPCIFamily.kext file, but my system still refused to load. Did you get the same problem (hang) when upgrade to 10.5.2?

Thank you. :thumbsup_anim:

Hi Kizwan,

The system would hang right after TI xx12 informaiton showed up whenever I used original IOPCCardFamily. Right now I am using both beta IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily on 10.5.2 and the system doesn't hang. I am kinda confused about what you meant by "my system still refused to load".

One more thing. Have you checked ioreg informaiton of your wireless recently? Did it change after loading the test.only7 or beta IOPCIFamily? If possible, can you post the ioreg of your wireless. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi Kizwan,

The system would hang right after TI xx12 informaiton showed up whenever I used original IOPCCardFamily. Right now I am using both beta IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily on 10.5.2 and the system doesn't hang. I am kinda confused about what you meant by "my system still refused to load".

One more thing. Have you checked ioreg informaiton of your wireless recently? Did it change after loading the test.only7 or beta IOPCIFamily? If possible, can you post the ioreg of your wireless. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

"my system still refused to load" mean that my system hang/freeze even if I remove IOPCCardFamily kext file & use vanilla 10.5.2 IOPCIFamily.kext file. This event take place after I update to 10.5.2. :) Sorry, I don't have the picture to show you, but it always hang/freeze after showing disk information.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABloc
kStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST980811AS Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

I try again today, update to 10.5.2, but still hang/freeze at the same location. I didn't see any error or warning message when I boot with verbose mode. Below is the combination of kexts that I test, but still hang/freeze:-

1) use vanilla IOPCIFamily & vanilla IOPCCardFamily

2) use vanilla IOPCIFamily & no IOPCCardFamily

3) use IOPCIFamily beta for 10.5.2 & no IOPCCardFamily

4) use IOPCIFamily beta for 10.5.2 & rev8 IOPCCardFamily

I think there is a typo at my earlier post. At my first attempt update to 10.5.2, I did this (but still hang/freeze):-

2) use IOPCIFamily beta for 10.5.2 & no IOPCCardFamily

3) use testonly7 IOPCIFamily & no IOPCCardFamily

Its ok though. I think my laptop only compatible until 10.5.1. :happymac: I think it is related to my hardware not being compatible anymore. Or maybe I can do clean install 10.5.1 & upgrade to 10.5.2. What do you think?

Now I'm back to 10.5.1, reinstall using iATKOS r2 DVD on top of existing installation. So I don't have to reinstall any software. :wallbash: Right now, the only foreign kext is IOPCIFamily, which is IOPCIFamily 10.5.2 beta. Its work in 10.5.1, so I just use it. And of course I need to add my yukon (LAN adapter) device id & vendor id to AppleYukon2.kext file. I examine my ioreg, I don't see any changes to my wireless but I maybe missed something. I attached here the ioreg output when using IOPCIFamily 10.5.2 beta kext.

Thank you. :angry:

ioreg_iopci_10.5.2_beta.txt

Hi Chun-Nan,

"my system still refused to load" mean that my system hang/freeze even if I remove IOPCCardFamily kext file & use vanilla 10.5.2 IOPCIFamily.kext file. This event take place after I update to 10.5.2. :) Sorry, I don't have the picture to show you, but it always hang/freeze after showing disk information.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/PRID@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABloc
kStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST980811AS Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 2@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

I try again today, update to 10.5.2, but still hang/freeze at the same location. I didn't see any error or warning message when I boot with verbose mode. Below is the combination of kexts that I test, but still hang/freeze:-

2) use vanilla IOPCIFamily & no IOPCCardFamily

3) use IOPCIFamily beta for 10.5.2 & no IOPCCardFamily

4) use IOPCIFamily beta for 10.5.2 & rev8 IOPCCardFamily

I think there is a typo at my earlier post. At my first attempt update to 10.5.2, I did this (but still hang/freeze):-

2) use IOPCIFamily beta for 10.5.2 & no IOPCCardFamily

3) use testonly7 IOPCIFamily & no IOPCCardFamily

Its ok though. I think my laptop only compatible until 10.5.1. :) I think it is related to my hardware not being compatible anymore. Or maybe I can do clean install 10.5.1 & upgrade to 10.5.2. What do you think?

Now I'm back to 10.5.1, reinstall using iATKOS r2 DVD on top of existing installation. So I don't have to reinstall any software. :) Right now, the only foreign kext is IOPCIFamily, which is IOPCIFamily 10.5.2 beta. Its work in 10.5.1, so I just use it. And of course I need to add my yukon (LAN adapter) device id & vendor id to AppleYukon2.kext file. I examine my ioreg, I don't see any changes to my wireless but I maybe missed something. I attached here the ioreg output when using IOPCIFamily 10.5.2 beta kext.

Thank you. :)

Hi kizwan,

That is very interesting to know that the system hang/freeze even when you used the vanilla IOPCIFamily & vanilla IOPCCardFamily. My hang was caused by PCCard but yours seemed to be caused by other stuff. I am sorry that I have no ideas what caused it right now. Maybe you can post your situation on the forum to see if anyone has the same issues as you do.

Chun-Nan

BTW, I have noticed that you use Nattit for your GMA950. If possible, I would like to know if your notebook has video adaptor for the external monitor. If it does, does your external monitor work? Thanks.

Hi kizwan,

That is very interesting to know that the system hang/freeze even when you used the vanilla IOPCIFamily & vanilla IOPCCardFamily. My hang was caused by PCCard but yours seemed to be caused by other stuff. I am sorry that I have no ideas what caused it right now. Maybe you can post your situation on the forum to see if anyone has the same issues as you do.

Chun-Nan

BTW, I have noticed that you use Nattit for your GMA950. If possible, I would like to know if your notebook has video adaptor for the external monitor. If it does, does your external monitor work? Thanks.

Hi Chun-Nan,

I have video adapter for external monitor, but my system hang after I plug-in external monitor. I did try boot with external monitor and it work but I get black screen at internal monitor. It also hang/freeze without Natit.kext installed if I plug-in external monitor. Do you use Natit.kext too?

Hi Chun-Nan,

I have video adapter for external monitor, but my system hang after I plug-in external monitor. I did try boot with external monitor and it work but I get black screen at internal monitor. It also hang/freeze without Natit.kext installed if I plug-in external monitor. Do you use Natit.kext too?

Hi kizwan,

I tried Natit but it didn't work for me. (I am using 10.5.2 now) Therefore, I kinda made one myself (kinda inject stuff). However, no matter what I add to info.plist (input different values), my external monitor always becomes the extended monitor of my internal monitor. If try to turn on mirroring, then both monitor have problems. I think I must miss some values..... ("AAPL,HasLid" and "AAPL,HasPanel" are the default value I use) Any ideas?

Chun-Nan

AppleIntelGMA950FB.kext.zip

Hi kizwan,

I tried Natit but it didn't work for me. (I am using 10.5.2 now) Therefore, I kinda made one myself (kinda inject stuff). However, no matter what I add to info.plist (input different values), my external monitor always becomes the extended monitor of my internal monitor. If try to turn on mirroring, then both monitor have problems. I think I must miss some values..... ("AAPL,HasLid" and "AAPL,HasPanel" are the default value I use) Any ideas?

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

Wow. Thanks. I will try it later & let you know the result. If I can plug-in external monitor without freezing my laptop, it would be much better. :blink:

Hi kizwan,

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

I did try your GMA950FB kext. My OSX hang when I connect the external monitor. But if I boot with external monitor connected, I got perfect extended monitor. I also prove that mirroring is not working. Perhaps refresh rate is not correct or resolution is not correct. By the way, how I want to disable the mirror setting? I can't see a thing. :) If I can disable the mirror setting, at least I got extended monitor. :(

Thank you.

Hi Chun-Nan,

I did try your GMA950FB kext. My OSX hang when I connect the external monitor. But if I boot with external monitor connected, I got perfect extended monitor. I also prove that mirroring is not working. Perhaps refresh rate is not correct or resolution is not correct. By the way, how I want to disable the mirror setting? I can't see a thing. :) If I can disable the mirror setting, at least I got extended monitor. B)

Thank you.

Hi Kizwan,

If you have "com.apple.windowserver.plist" under "/Library/Preferences/", just remove it and reboot. Then it will disable the mirror setting. (You can check it first before removing it if you are concerned.)

I have tried all the afternoon to fix that "extended monitor" issues but still no luck......

Chun-Nan

Hi, Hi all,

Chun-Nan ´s

Leopard: IOPCIFamily.10.5.2.beta.zip ( 50.7K ) , worked for me !!!!!

Now i got Ethernet (Marvell).

But if i try the Cardbus (TI) rev8 driver (only the IoPCCARD, not overwriting IOPCIFamily.10.5.2.beta,

i get Kernel-Panic at loding time (loading ethernetdriver).

THANKS

THANK YOU SO MUCH CHUN_NAN

for the first time my Ethernet is working.

also my dell 1490 wifi card is detected but still refusing to work. thanks alot for your help. if u can help get my wifi working i will be in great gratitude to you. if u need any type of output in terms of dmesg etc etc ill submit it .

also im running iatkos 10.5.1 and used ur 10.5.2 file.

edit: the 1490 works, i just have to use the diagnosis thing to detect it, which takes forever. it takes about 1 minute of scanning by the diagnosis program and then it finds the access point, then everything proceeds as planned

edit#2: changed router broadcast channel to 6 and now its working from the taskbar woohoo

thanks again so much.

Installed the IOPCI kext and modified the AppleYukon2.kext. Unfortunately, Leopard did not detect by ethernet :rolleyes:

However, my wifi card (Broadcom 4311) sprang to life! :D

Will try and play around with it some more and see.

Thanks again Chun-Nan.

Hi twobunnyrabbit,

I don't have the same ethernet card as you do. Maybe you can search more informaiton on your ethernet on the forum/internet. Glad your wireless is working. :P

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun_nan,

Can't thank you enough. You have made alot of hackintosh users very happy. ;)

I have the same ethernet as Kizwan Marvell Yukon 88E8038 with the same device/ven id. Verified this with hardware info from Ubuntu CD.

Have entered the respective info in the kext as per Kizwan.

Will try to play with it a bit more after work today.

Got the 88E8038 working on my laptop on top of the wifi.

With my current IONetworkingFamily.kext (10.5.2) and Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.kext (download here), I was only able to get wifi but not ethernet (even with modifying the AppleYukon(2).kext).

If I replace my existing IONetworkingFamily.kext with this one. I get the ethernet and the wifi disappears. So what i did was leaving the original IONetworkingFamily.kext in place and replaced the AppleYukon.kext from the last link provided.

The hardware switch for the wireless is functioning. Can turn it off and use the network menu to turn it back on.

Hope the above helps.

Once again thanks to everyone who had contributed to this.

Got the 88E8038 working on my laptop on top of the wifi.

With my current IONetworkingFamily.kext (10.5.2) and Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.kext (download here), I was only able to get wifi but not ethernet (even with modifying the AppleYukon(2).kext).

If I replace my existing IONetworkingFamily.kext with this one. I get the ethernet and the wifi disappears. So what i did was leaving the original IONetworkingFamily.kext in place and replaced the AppleYukon.kext from the last link provided.

The hardware switch for the wireless is functioning. Can turn it off and use the network menu to turn it back on.

Hope the above helps.

Once again thanks to everyone who had contributed to this.

Hi twobunnyrabbit,

Glad to hear that both your wired and wireless ethernet are working. I have uploaded the beta2 IOPCIFamily and it is bundled with IOPCCardFamily. (Thanks EqUaTe for the installation package) You can give it a try and report the dmesg result if possible. Thanks. :)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=500

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-nan, thanks a lot for your efforts, I have a compaq c500 with broadcom 4311 wifi card , the card is not being recognized by osx. I have tried your latest beta2 release (it seemed to fix the problems some other folks who had similar issues with broadcom 4311 wifi card), but the card is not being recognized, i am attaching the dmesg output here,

i have iatkos 1.0i with vanilla kernel and all the updates and your beta kext, any help will be highly appreciated

thanks again

dmesg.txt

Hi Chun-nan, thanks a lot for your efforts, I have a compaq c500 with broadcom 4311 wifi card , the card is not being recognized by osx. I have tried your latest beta2 release (it seemed to fix the problems some other folks who had similar issues with broadcom 4311 wifi card), but the card is not being recognized, i am attaching the dmesg output here,

i have iatkos 1.0i with vanilla kernel and all the updates and your beta kext, any help will be highly appreciated

thanks again

Hi nirvanaguy19,

What kind of wifi card do you have? It is a built-in, pccard or USB type?

Chun-Nan