1. Download AppleHDA Patcher from here.

2. Drag the dump into the patcher icon.

3. After the process completes, reboot.

Hopefully your sound will work!

A linux codec dump can be done like this:

On a xterm window or other terminal in a Linux distro, eg. Knoppix:

cat /proc/asound/Intel/codec#0 > somefile.txt

Save that file to a location that you can read later, eg. a flash drive

Also try codec#1, codec#2, etc. if you have a modem connected to the HDA bus.

Just for info, Knoppix runs directly from a CD and its terminal emulator is called Konsole due to KDE. It also has xterm.

1. Download AppleHDA Patcher from here.

2. Drag the dump into the patcher icon.

3. After the process completes, reboot.

Hopefully your sound will work!

I'm not sure which version of AppleHDA Patcher to download. My first attempt was with v.1.15, my reasoning being that v.1.16 is mentioned specifically for OS 10.4.9 and I'm running 10.4.8. After downloading the Patcher and unzipping it, I tried dragging and dropping the text from Haruga's dump listed for my codec onto the patcher icon and the system crashed - you know, the frightening white text over the dark gray background that tells you to restart. In the past when I received this crash message for other reasons it corrupted my boot disk and I had to re-install the OS. Fortunately not the case here, but I'm tentative about proceding without more info. Can you suggest a version to use with my system and explain in idiot terms, for that is what I feel like, how to, as you suggest, 'drag the dump into the patcher icon'?

Thanks for your help.

Hi

This is the closest thread I can find related to the issue I am having. I have an HP Compaq 8240 with Soundmax Integrated Digital audio card. Hardware IDs listed below:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_0934103C&REV_03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_0934103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&CC_040100

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&CC_0401

I can get sound out (haven't tried mic yet), but I get sound out of both the internal speakers and also when I plug in my headset. I really only need the headset one. Is there a way to solve this? If I have to put a switch in to manually switch the speakers then I will do it but I am sure that there must be a way to solve this in th driver.

Thanks!

Hi

This is the closest thread I can find related to the issue I am having. I have an HP Compaq 8240 with Soundmax Integrated Digital audio card. Hardware IDs listed below:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_0934103C&REV_03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_0934103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&CC_040100

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&CC_0401

I can get sound out (haven't tried mic yet), but I get sound out of both the internal speakers and also when I plug in my headset. I really only need the headset one. Is there a way to solve this? If I have to put a switch in to manually switch the speakers then I will do it but I am sure that there must be a way to solve this in th driver.

Thanks!

SoundMax cards aren't supported now. Sorry but the HDA patcher doesn't work with those cards. I have one computer with a SoundMax card.

Ok after a few experiments (and a few reinstalls) I found out that I have internal speakers when using an Azalia driver and I have everything else (but internal speakers) with my ALC883 codec driver. If only there was a way to combine these 2 things.....

1. Patch your AppleHDA for ALC883 using the usual tool ;)

2. Open Terminal

3. Type without the quotes: "sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

4. Look for the section on the first topic

5. Change parameter <integer>27</integer> in <!-- HP --> section

6. Press Ctrl+O

7. Press Enter

8. Press Ctrl+X

9. Close Terminal

10. Reboot

Nothing....did that and still no sound through my internal speakers :( I'm still assuming that the Azalia drivers has something to do with my Internal Mic, Internal Speakers, and Modem. In windows my Modem was some Azalia HDA Modem or something like that. When I installed the Azalia drivers my internal speakers worked but I had no other audio devices working. Here's my Codec, if you could possibly take a look at it that would be great.

let me know if anyone gets the ALC883 audio working on a Acer Aspire 3680 laptop. i dont have linux and i dont plan of ever having linux, and i dont know how to dump any codec info, so it would be about 100x easier if someone just uploaded their Info.plist file after they get it working. i used the ALC88X drivers for 883, which worked for switching off the internal speakers, and turning on the plug-in audio ports, but i'd like to still be able to hear sound when i DONT have headphones in.

let me know if anyone gets the ALC883 audio working on a Acer Aspire 3680 laptop. i dont have linux and i dont plan of ever having linux, and i dont know how to dump any codec info, so it would be about 100x easier if someone just uploaded their Info.plist file after they get it working. i used the ALC88X drivers for 883, which worked for switching off the internal speakers, and turning on the plug-in audio ports, but i'd like to still be able to hear sound when i DONT have headphones in.

Good luck. I have a acer travelmate 2480 with the same issue. Had no luck in finding anything to fix it though.

If you want i could tell u exactly how to get a codec dump? Its actually very easy. You just need

1. Removable flash drive, ipod, psp, or network share

(somewhere where u can put a file from linux and then to mac os x)

2. CD-R, CR-RW, or the knowledge to make a bootable usb flash drive

(to make a linux live cd)

3. A computer that hopefully is compatible with linux

(you just need full compatibility with audio to make a successful codec dump)

If you have all this and want to know exactly how to make the codec just message me.

1. Patch your AppleHDA for ALC883 using the usual tool :huh:

2. Open Terminal

3. Type without the quotes: "sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

4. Look for the section on the first topic

5. Change parameter <integer>27</integer> in <!-- HP --> section

6. Press Ctrl+O

7. Press Enter

8. Press Ctrl+X

9. Close Terminal

10. Reboot

could you elaborate on this a little more? maybe tell me the EXACT steps you went through to get your ALC883 working? i installed the ALC88X drivers from the stickied thread a the top of the Sound drivers page, which made my AppleHDA file have a bunch of NodeID's, none of which have the number 27 in them, so then i tried the HDA patcher, which ive never used before, i downloaded a ALC883 codec dump, tried it out. the sound worked fine and all, but still no NodeID 27, and i cant find the word "HP" anywhere in the file. be nice if you could post exactly the steps you went through to get it working. i need Headphone, microphone, and internal speakers all working.

Did it worked?

Okay, got my computer back up and running.

I have downloaded ApplePatcher 1.20 but don't know how to download the 'dump' at http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/sigmatel/

Everytime I save the text and drag that file onto the AppleHDAPatcher icon it asks for my password and after I enter it the system crashes. Am I supposed to enter the text in Terminal first? Once again, I'm a total newbie. What kind of file do I drag to the icon. The dumps all seem to be text files.

Thanks.

The usual tool is the AppleHDA Patcher, and for people which don't want to boot Knoppix, which doesn't requires installation, YOU NEED TO MAKE A CODEC DUMP FOR YOURSELF! Otherwise you may not have sound fully working.

pianimator, what's your system version? Is it equal or higher than 10.4.8?

The usual tool is the AppleHDA Patcher, and for people which don't want to boot Knoppix, which doesn't requires installation, YOU NEED TO MAKE A CODEC DUMP FOR YOURSELF! Otherwise you may not have sound fully working.

pianimator, what's your system version? Is it equal or higher than 10.4.8?

Yes, my system version is 10.4.8. Whenever Apple Update updates the system it is no longer bootable, so I've disabled 'Updater' and am sticking with 10.4.8.

I am really such a newbie that I'm tentative about making a codec dump myself.

Are you running 10.5.2?

Yes, my system version is 10.4.8. Whenever Apple Update updates the system it is no longer bootable, so I've disabled 'Updater' and am sticking with 10.4.8.I am really such a newbie that I'm tentative about making a codec dump myself.
What's your distribution? JaS?