iMAC G5 Intel Conversion?

Grooby97

12 posts in this topic

I would have thought that, in terms of form factor, you'd be better off canibalising a laptop. Not sure how you'd fit regular PC components inside the iMac case.

Without even getting to the obvious stuff like PSU, HDD, GFX, you'd find it a challenge to accomodate RAM that rises 1 inch higher than the motherboard. I'd look on ebay for any recent build laptops sold for spares because of a faulty screen. Not sure about how you'd connect the iMac screen though..

To put it nice and simple. No. Go spend that money on like a new mini or something. :wacko:

With most mod jobs, the question is whether it is about the journey or the destination. The challenge of getting it together often far outweighs the actual benefits of the end result.

If you're doing this just to see if you can, the fine, carry on! Otherwise, I agree with the Colonel - you'll make so many compromises in terms of performance, cooling, functionality that you may have been better off getting a Mac Mini - or building a custom Hackintosh.

I think you could do it, but it would be a {censored} to. You would have to have a mobo that sits in the case like a G5 logic board, if you don't you would need a custom hsf to blow air out of where the Imac G5 case has air holes. As well as the monitor. How would you hook it up? I'm sure that's no ordinary monitor port. The guy with the G3 Imac case did it, but he also used a different screen than the one that came with the G3 case.