21 posts in this topic

intelx48zk6.jpg

This thread will discuss the future, soon-to-be released Intel chipset, x48. ETA: Q1 2008

In this thread we will disucuss the possibilities of the x48 chipset with OSx86 and compatibilities (not yet). We can share and discuss the knowledge we have that will contribute to this community and the OSx86 future for Intel chipsets as well as the future official release of OS X Leopard for the hackint0sh. More to come...

x482bhv1.jpg

x481bjj8.jpg

15403212102007x3820and2nt8.jpg

skulltrail anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you want the X48, they are just handpicked X38's, that they put "Official" certification on thme for 1600mhz FSB processors and DDR3 only[which is still very expencive ATM, with little performance benifits]

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
well i've pulled the trigger on the asus rampage formula x48, will post soon once i get it up and running. still waiting for my ram kits and vc to arrive :|

Looking forward to your results, as I want to buy this too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok latest update This works fairly much out of the box if you enable AHCI if not you need to modify the AppleAHCI kext file and I think IOATA kext as well The Audio needs the ALCinject and modified AppleHDA.kext there are also some issues with network controller

Version upgrades need to be done from the .pkg installer using instructions found here for most intel hacks ( really easy ) but usually requires those kext files to be replace again

This is the installer package which has been created by myself but credit can not be mine as I have used a combination of other posters fixes here

http://rapidshare.com/files/120862582/x48ds5.pkg.html

This patch should be applied for every version upgrade

PS let me know if there is anything missed out

Ok latest update This works fairly much out of the box if you enable AHCI if not you need to modify the AppleAHCI kext file and I think IOATA kext as well The Audio needs the ALCinject and modified AppleHDA.kext there are also some issues with network controller

Version upgrades need to be done from the .pkg installer using instructions found here for most intel hacks ( really easy ) but usually requires those kext files to be replace again

This is the installer package which has been created by myself but credit can not be mine as I have used a combination of other posters fixes here

http://rapidshare.com/files/120862582/x48ds5.pkg.html

This patch should be applied for every version upgrade

PS let me know if there is anything missed out

Hi, I'd like to buy a new system based on X48-DQ6. Does this package apply also to that model, or is only for DS5?

What issues did you have with network? Audio works well?

Im about to build on a X48-DS4. Stay tuned.

If you have already built on this board, do post your experience.

I recently did a build with that board, working pretty solid so far.

i have been able to install both Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4allv3, had better results with leo4all.

all the drivers you need for the board are on either one of those disks.

i used vanilla kernel with both installs and have upgraded to 10.5.3 with kalyways update.

i was not able to get shutdown/restart working with the Kalyway install but with Leo4all restart worked right away.

needed to apply a fix to get shut down working. You can find it here.

somewhere in that thread is a link to a premade installer, thats what i used. also needed CHUD framework installed (that thread explains where to get it).

hope this stuff helps you.

I recently did a build with that board, working pretty solid so far.i have been able to install both Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4allv3, had better results with leo4all.all the drivers you need for the board are on either one of those disks.i used vanilla kernel with both installs and have upgraded to 10.5.3 with kalyways update.i was not able to get shutdown/restart working with the Kalyway install but with Leo4all restart worked right away.needed to apply a fix to get shut down working. You can find it here.somewhere in that thread is a link to a premade installer, thats what i used. also needed CHUD framework installed (that thread explains where to get it).hope this stuff helps you.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.Memory is here (early). Mobo probably nogo until Monday :dance_24: Cant wait to start. I think this will be much faster than my mac pro.

Hope you dont mind if I ask you a few more questions. The last time I installed OSX86 was over a year ago and I very rusty.1.) Whats the whole deal with EFI? Kalyway didnt seem to have anything about choosing efi. Does leo4all?2.) Did install OSX first or the other way around?3.) Any bios setting to change? 4.) Which DVD sata did you get? Will IDE DVD work?5.) Anything elseThanks so muchZack

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.Memory is here (early). Mobo probably nogo until Monday :) Cant wait to start. I think this will be much faster than my mac pro.

Hope you dont mind if I ask you a few more questions. The last time I installed OSX86 was over a year ago and I very rusty.1.) Whats the whole deal with EFI? Kalyway didnt seem to have anything about choosing efi. Does leo4all?2.) Did install OSX first or the other way around?3.) Any bios setting to change? 4.) Which DVD sata did you get? Will IDE DVD work?5.) Anything elseThanks so muchZack

1) I dont know a lot about EFI (still learning :) ) so i wouldnt really be much help with that.

as for the install...

i booted the disk (didnt use any special commands except -v).

once it was booted i used to disk utility to partition and format the drive.

then installed as normal.

2) Vista was installed first, OSX after. i dont use any sort of boot loader...i just change the boot order from the bios or hit F12 during POST for boot menu

3) i disabled a few things that i dont use (serial port, floppy drive ect ect), but other then that everything was default.

4) This is my SATA drive, this is the one i used to install. i was able to boot from my IDE drive as well.

IDE drive is this one

5) i dont think there was anything else...was a pretty simple install really.

good luck :D

1) I dont know a lot about EFI (still learning :P ) so i wouldnt really be much help with that.

as for the install...

i booted the disk (didnt use any special commands except -v).

once it was booted i used to disk utility to partition and format the drive.

then installed as normal.

2) Vista was installed first, OSX after. i dont use any sort of boot loader...i just change the boot order from the bios or hit F12 during POST for boot menu

3) i disabled a few things that i dont use (serial port, floppy drive ect ect), but other then that everything was default.

4) This is my SATA drive, this is the one i used to install. i was able to boot from my IDE drive as well.

IDE drive is this one

5) i dont think there was anything else...was a pretty simple install really.

good luck ;)

One more question.. did you have a 8 pin connector on your power supply to get 12v to the MOBO? My powersupply only has a 4 pin and Im wondering if that will work or not.

Need to get a graphics card and possibly a new power supply but then Im all set to install!

Zack.

One more question.. did you have a 8 pin connector on your power supply to get 12v to the MOBO? My powersupply only has a 4 pin and Im wondering if that will work or not.

Need to get a graphics card and possibly a new power supply but then Im all set to install!

Zack.

Yeah i have an 8 pin power connector, I dont think a 4 pin can provide enough power but i may be wrong on that.

you should probably pick up a new PSU anyway...new build = new power demands usualy (especialy if you want to try Crossfire in the future should you install windows as well).

Yeah i have an 8 pin power connector, I dont think a 4 pin can provide enough power but i may be wrong on that.

you should probably pick up a new PSU anyway...new build = new power demands usualy (especialy if you want to try Crossfire in the future should you install windows as well).

It is a new power supply :D Just the wrong one.

One more question - did the 3870 radeon work out of the box or did you have to install drivers for it?

Im thinking of getting the new 4850 but am not sure if it will work?

It is a new power supply :( Just the wrong one.

One more question - did the 3870 radeon work out of the box or did you have to install drivers for it?

Im thinking of getting the new 4850 but am not sure if it will work?

That sucks about the PSU man, i have made that mistake before. Ordered a PSU once that had decent wattage but low on amps for a SLI system. Thats what i get for not paying attention :P

with leo4allv3 my 3870 worked straight out of the box with the drivers on the disk, kalyway had drivers to but somtimes it worked and somtimes it didnt...not really sure why.

If for whatever reason you have trouble,

this thread has an installer pakage.

there is also this thread for help with radeon cards.

I have had my eye on the HD4000 series cards for a while, but so far they arent working in 10.5.2/10.5.3 AFAIK...i beleive Snow Leopard will have support for them but thats still a ways off.

i just played it safe and went with a 3870 for now, it isnting hurt my game performance to much on the windows side so it will do a fair job of being a "waiting for somthing better" card.

lets hope 10.5.4 adds support :)

Hi, how did you get restart to work? My system just hangs when I try restart.

Sleep works for me but the network doesnt automatically reconnect when I wake.

I needed a patch for the audio - kalyway didnt have it in the dvd afaik.

Other than that, the rest was easy.

Any bios options worth noting? I have ahci active.

Are you overclocking?

Hi, how did you get restart to work? My system just hangs when I try restart.

Sleep works for me but the network doesnt automatically reconnect when I wake.

I needed a patch for the audio - kalyway didnt have it in the dvd afaik.

Other than that, the rest was easy.

Any bios options worth noting? I have ahci active.

Are you overclocking?

My CPU is overclocked from 2.66ghz to 3.2ghz and i have AHCI turned off (cant remember why though)

i couldnt get restart to work with kalyway though audio did work IIRC

leo4allv3 was an all around better choice with this board i found...did you try installing with that?