Intel Wireless 2100, 2200bg, 2915bg, 3945abg, 4965agn

jalavoui

3,411 posts in this topic

Hi jalavoui,

I looked on the tutorial here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry925693

However when i'm trying to compile the kext it says that it depends on itself and xcode stops compile.

The svn sources were donwloaded as explected , xcode is installed corectly . One difference . When i open the project i don't have to build button up ( i had to add it from customize toolbar )

And the OS version differs ( i think from what you used ).

I will have another look at it today and i will post some screenshots. Maybe will help .

Some of you may or may not love me very soon I'am trying to pick up where the other guy left off on the 3945 driver, just read the whole driver tutorial on apple's site. good new is its partially working I can pick up my bssid see the screenshot below. I'm going to work on it this weekend expect to hear something good or bad by then end of this weekend.

http://screencast.com/t/NCDMGDlFvR

Some of you may or may not love me very soon I'am trying to pick up where the other guy left off on the 3945 driver, just read the whole driver tutorial on apple's site. good new is its partially working I can pick up my bssid see the screenshot below. I'm going to work on it this weekend expect to hear something good or bad by then end of this weekend.

This is very good news :)

Everyone want their specific driver to work, and thats alright, but dev will start with the most popular card the 3945

If you are talking about the Voodoo team, then no, that would be wrong. They are starting on the 2200bg, then 3945.

Great!

But regarding your screenshot: the bssid was always recognized in the current svn afaik, while the stabssid has been all zeros. Check for example this bug report http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/issues/detail?id=81 from September.

Could you provide the link for the tutorial, I am also reading the code. :gathering:

I can build it, and start testing around. But without document it's like hitting a snake in the dark, the system log is quite messy.

Some helpful webpages for those just starting out messing with the driver:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D..._section_1.html

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/6/ubb.x?a=...mp;m=7480952764

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/DS...eIntel8255x-19/ (sample ethernet driver, needs ADC account)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D..._section_1.html

That should be enough documentation to get anyone started.

If you are talking about the Voodoo team, then no, that would be wrong. They are starting on the 2200bg, then 3945.

Yea your right, but I dont understand why they start with 2200bg , from iwidarwin website it say driver is stable for 10.4 and 10.5 , no ?

Yea your right, but I dont understand why they start with 2200bg , from iwidarwin website it say driver is stable for 10.4 and 10.5 , no ?

Because I don't have a 3945. Anyone want to send me one is welcome to do so. Otherwise I don't want to code it blind right now, though after 2200 is done I will probably have to do exactly that...

And because it has NOTHING to do with iwidarwin. That project is officially dead and the code base is unmaintainable. IF the 2200bg driver were "stable" I would never pick up this project in the first place, much less start from scratch.

In other news, after 3 days of full time hacking I have the adapter reset working. Next up: set up firmware and rx/tx queues.

I suggest to close this thread and to open a new one about the new driver.

I also suggest javaloui to give back the money we donated... as i said before it's a shame. at first he asked money for the wi-fi card, then when he had enough money, he asked for a brand new notebook.

thanx mercurysquad.

Just to be clear about it: There is no new driver yet! No promises until it's made. No donations now! People should read this thread for more background.

And re: jalavoui and donations - everyone should realize that donations are not purchase transactions. If you 'donated' but didn't receive any working driver, there is no legal obligation on the person to return the money, specially when he can argue that the donations went into paying for his time and you get the source code in return. There is a moral obligation, maybe. But we cannot decide for him. I can decide about myself, and I am NOT accepting any contribution until the thing actually works.

Correct. And that is why my plan says no donations until the driver is ready. Afterwards a target amount is preset based on number of hours the programmer spent, and the driver sourcecode is put online once target is reached. Can't be more transparent than this. I am already working 8-10 hours/day on this project and have clocked around 60 hours so far. There are timesheets and SCM logs to corroborate this (trust me I've done professional work this way :( )

Anyway we are not at that stage to discuss this yet.

post-91736-1231010064_thumb.png

mercurysquad,

if you need help coding, iwidarwin is still up

if you start a new project and need help discussing code i'm here to help

i haven't got he hardware for start working on 3945/4965 - hope to get it soon

do you plan to write new code from scratch?

there's some problems on porting existing code for io80211 family - is this your plan?

in my opinion the best driver to start coding is 3945/4965

2100/2200 are old drivers - can't do much about it

i'd like to ask forum administrators to remove non-development posts

this doesn't help making the drivers work

in iwidarwin svn tree there is code for ioethernet and apple80211

the idea was to make a stable ioethernet version and them port the code to apple80211 (airport version)

for developers:

intel as new firmware versions for 3945/4965. download from

http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads

use hex2strng to convert the files and test it

build it and post new .dmg here for testing

a shortuct for making 3945/4965 is to fix the rx/tx packet code

i can't do it whitout the hardware

Correct. And that is why my plan says no donations until the driver is ready. Afterwards a target amount is preset based on number of hours the programmer spent, and the driver sourcecode is put online once target is reached. Can't be more transparent than this. I am already working 8-10 hours/day on this project and have clocked around 60 hours so far. There are timesheets and SCM logs to corroborate this (trust me I've done professional work this way :P )

Anyway we are not at that stage to discuss this yet.

As mrroboto, if you need donations or testing count on my help .... there are my email in profile, or contact me via pm ..... I will be happy to help ..... and thank you again for everything that do work for the community .....

THANKS FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That laptop is sold also with 'dell wireless 1390/1490' cards whic are known to be airport compatible. Better verify you actually have an intel 3495.. e.g. with ioreg or lspci, check the vendor and device IDs. Intel cards have VID 8086. An airport compatible driver is NOT available for intel 3495, and kext hacking is going to get no one nowhere. (this is not applehda)

mercurysquad,

if you need help coding, iwidarwin is still up

if you start a new project and need help discussing code i'm here to help

Cool, thanks I will contact you if I get stuck at any point.

i haven't got he hardware for start working on 3945/4965 - hope to get it soon

Me neither. I have 2200bg, so started from that. Once it's working I'll have the required knowledge to get 3945/4965 working, as it doesn't seem very different.

do you plan to write new code from scratch?

Yes. I looked at your iwidarwin source and I won't lie, it's huge and I can't fathom it. I am starting from scratch, using BSD driver for reference (but it's not a port). The linux driver and consequently iwidarwin are 18k lines, while the bsd driver is less than 4k, so it's much easier to follow.

there's some problems on porting existing code for io80211 family - is this your plan?

As I said I'm not porting, but rewriting. Yeah I inherit from io80211family, not sure what problems I'll encounter later on, but that's the plan right now.

in my opinion the best driver to start coding is 3945/4965

2100/2200 are old drivers - can't do much about it

Yes but as I said I don't have the hardware and it's not a good idea to code blind something which is already difficult...

in iwidarwin svn tree there is code for ioethernet and apple80211

the idea was to make a stable ioethernet version and them port the code to apple80211 (airport version)

I see. But I will not take that approach because I don't want to re-implement ieee80211 stack (as you seem to have done?), it's too much work right now and I think starting from io80211 directly is possible given that the headers are available, so we have to reverse engineer some parts.

for developers:

intel as new firmware versions for 3945/4965.

I chose v3.0 firmware for 2200, it's the newest. Don't know about 3945/4965.

Also, you can use xxd -i filename to generate the header file from a binary image. xxd is included with OS X and most unix OS's.

Cheers.

The 2200bg drivers aren't stable, that would be why he is working on them, also because that is the card he possess. And like he said he won't request donations until the final product is out. Just because you want something, doesn't mean it has to go before what other people want. You should be happy that after over a year, we have somebody who is capable and willing to create some working drivers for us. If you want wireless now, go buy a USB stick or something, don't complain, it is just going to make things harder for everyone.

Guest undefined

Why don't you guys just stop whining? You waited a year, wait just a little bit more. There's a guy who came here with his mad coding skills willing to write the drivers from scratch for free (let's be honest - one in a hundred users who download something actually donate to developer) and you wouldn't show any sign of appreciation, just shouting and rushing him - I don't think it's gonna work. Just let him do his thing. It's better than nothing.

edit: my post is quite similar to booger_sniffer5000's one, didn't see him writing :)

Why don't you guys just stop whining? You waited a year, wait just a little bit more. There's a guy who came here with his mad coding skills willing to write the drivers from scratch for free (let's be honest - one in a hundred users who download something actually donate to developer) and you wouldn't show any sign of appreciation, just shouting and rushing him - I don't think it's gonna work. Just let him do his thing. It's better than nothing.

edit: my post is quite similar to booger_sniffer5000's one, didn't see him writing :D

Well said :D

I spent $70 on a USB Wifi stick that semi-works. It was one of the few wireless N sticks i could think of that you could buy in store (Linksys WUSB600N). I hate buying online, especially eBay. I'm not yelling nor screaming. I'm just stating the fact that when the starter of this thread said it would take 2 days to work once he got the card, we expected it to take far less than what it has taken. Again, I do apologize about misunderstanding about the stability of the card, even though on the site it does say it is stable which is very confusing. I haven't been waiting for a year, though i have been waiting over 2 months (I started looking at the OSX86 project about 2 months ago). Though I'm not looking for a 3945 card, I still feel for those who have waited over a year for the card to work and got there hopes crushed when it has taken this long and the iwidarwin site seems to be inactive. Don't get me wrong, i do appreciate mercurysquad's willingness to be a part of this though there has been almost a 2 month period of no activity. It's just a frustration from my waiting so long and it's gotta be worse for those who have been here since the start of this thread.

Its pretty damn scammy of the guy who started this thread though, huh?

iwidarwin has gone shown the {censored}ter, and this new guy, mercurysquad is going to make more drivers even though the ones iwidarwin did already work! Why doesnt he just start with the ones we want, go out, find a card and do it.

But no. he is going to do the same are Jar..whoever, make the same cards and then get donations and then {censored} off. Not even getting to that card.

You could have done what I did and replaced your Intel card with a card that is known to work (like a Dell card). In any case, I'm not sure if you have looked at the iwidarwin source but it is very hard to figure out what is going on. I checked the source out a few months ago to try and take a stab at cleaning it up some but I eventually came to my own private conclusion that pretty much only jav really understands the code. If you are tired of waiting then I suggest you either go buy a real Mac or buy a card that works natively.

Lastly, in case you've been living under a rock, mercurysquad is one of the guys behind the voodoo kernel and other big developments here. If he's taking a stab at it there's a good chance something will come out of it. Continuing to make this thread longer and longer with further pointless "poor me" posts does nothing for the driver's development.

Guest undefined
We cant help the wining. Jar..Whoever use to have "Mad coding skills".

I meant mercurysquad with his/their great work on the Voodoo kernel.

We cant help the wining. Jar..Whoever use to have "Mad coding skills". and he pissed off the the Caribbean on our backs.

I have another wireless card floating about, its a netgear WG111 or WG111T and that doesnt work either. I begrudge paying for anything else, and never pay for software. He should do it for the community, and judging for an earlier post fo his, he is going to make us compile everything and release the better working one when he gets paid.

{censored}.

Think Mark

I don't believe that's what he said. He said he would release the source code once it works and a certain target has been reached.

Even though it's no fun that the iwi stuff failed in a way it's no use to start yelling at someone who gives us new hope. He seems to be doing a pretty decent job so far for "only" 60 hours of work. It's no use either to have him start on a card he doesn't have yet, let him work on the other until he has a 3945/4965 gives him some time to practice with the intel wifi driver coding as well (if he needs it). If he succeeds in making a stable 2200 driver i don't think a stabl 3945/4965 is very far away.