Is OSX slower compared to vista?

Steam3

11 posts in this topic

I find OSX a little bit slow/heavy compared to Vista. OSX runs quite good on my system, dragging windows and using the dock is really smooth. But OSX still feels heavier compared to windows, when you scroll pages or finder folders. Vista runs really smoothly and light on my machines, everything flies. I had a score of about 170 in Xbench, which seems Ok compared to real macs. Is OSX meant to run slower/heavier than vista?

Are there things you can tune to make it faster?

I get a geekbench of 1700 something with Vista and just over 2000 with osx86 on my core duo laptop. Osx scores much higher on the floating point for some reason. It is very responsive, and score equally well with either Kalyway or Uphuck versions of osx. How about some other posts of geekbench scores of vista vs. osx on the same machine ?? Let's hear em!

OSX's mouse tracking speed is by default slower; it makes everything feel slower. Furthermore, the mouse tracking is exponential, not linear, so the more you move your mouse without stopping, the faster the cursor goes. The scrolling works the same way.

If "dragging windows and using the dock is really smooth", then I don't see why it should be any slower than Vista.

In my experience, OSX is way faster than Vista (just to let you know)

I'm still on XP, but it's a nice idea to compare different OSes on the same machine.

My Geekbench for:

XP is 1753

Kubuntu with CF 1855

Leopard 2009

Guess that says it all, I might add that my XP is already tweaked.

I dont think OS X (Kaly) is really that much slower than Vista. Performance of 8800 GTX is slower, for sure, but I don't think we are using even beta drivers.

I use this machine for coding and overall I am quite happy with performance.

Depends on the app you're using too. For example, I tried rendering some avi movies to dvd video format for burning. Using Nero under Vista, I encoded around 6 hours of vid in 2 hours. Then, using iDVD under osx, it ran even slower than real time, encoding 1 hour of vid in over an hour. Using Toast 8 I got the same lame results on osx. I experienced similar crappy performance on my G5 at work too. Overall gui seems much more responsive in osx on the same machine, especially since with Vista the hdd is constantly reading and writing, who knows what even when you're not using the machine.