EFI & Retail Hang - mDnsResponder

crankshaft

22 posts in this topic

Hi;

Been working on this for a couple of days with no progress, have googled and searched forums, can find other questions related to mDNSresponder, but nothing which solves my problem.

I have installed EFI and also removed / replaced the usual kexts, i.e AppleIntelCPUPowermanagent, AppleEFIRuntime etc etc

When I boot I get the following error and it hangs at the last line in the log below, this appears to be related to mDNSResponder which is Bonjour, I have tried lots of things including deleting the bonjour startup script, replacing the IONetworkingFamily which supposes to fix the mDNSresponder UUID proble, but does not fix mine !

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated !!

Jan 24 18:56:18 localhost socketfilterfw[40]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
Jan 24 18:56:22 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:1a:4d:5f:83:98
Jan 24 18:56:22 localhost blued[46]: Apple Bluetooth daemon started.
Jan 24 18:56:23 localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-161.1 (Oct 11 2007 00:22:24)[25]: starting
Jan 24 18:56:24 localhost blued[46]: [_setUserPreference] syncs returns false
Jan 24 18:56:24: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jan 24 18:56:24 localhost fseventsd[30]: log dir: /Volumes/OSWIN/.fseventsd getting new uuid: 1935B4F5-6325-4A56-B819-03EE062907C6
Jan 24 18:56:24 localhost fseventsd[30]: log dir: /Volumes/DATA/.fseventsd getting new uuid: 16078B46-2920-4779-AFD7-57EBBF4BA917
Jan 24 18:56:26 localhost kextd[9]: writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym
Jan 24 18:56:27 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[79]: starting
Jan 24 18:56:32 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-001A4D5F8398” instead
Jan 24 18:56:32 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default “Macintosh-001A4D5F8398.local” instead
Jan 24 18:56:32 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: SetDomainSecrets: mDNSKeychainGetSecrets failed error 0 CFArrayRef 00000000
Jan 24 18:56:33 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-001A4D5F8398” instead
Jan 24 18:56:33 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default “Macintosh-001A4D5F8398.local” instead

Hi;

Been working on this for a couple of days with no progress, have googled and searched forums, can find other questions related to mDNSresponder, but nothing which solves my problem.

I have installed EFI and also removed / replaced the usual kexts, i.e AppleIntelCPUPowermanagent, AppleEFIRuntime etc etc

When I boot I get the following error and it hangs at the last line in the log below, this appears to be related to mDNSResponder which is Bonjour, I have tried lots of things including deleting the bonjour startup script, replacing the IONetworkingFamily which supposes to fix the mDNSresponder UUID proble, but does not fix mine !

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated !!

Jan 24 18:56:26 localhost kextd[9]: writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym
Jan 24 18:56:27 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[79]: starting
Jan 24 18:56:32 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default "Macintosh-001A4D5F8398" instead
Jan 24 18:56:32 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default "Macintosh-001A4D5F8398.local" instead
Jan 24 18:56:32 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: SetDomainSecrets: mDNSKeychainGetSecrets failed error 0 CFArrayRef 00000000
Jan 24 18:56:33 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default "Macintosh-001A4D5F8398" instead
Jan 24 18:56:33 localhost mDNSResponder[25]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default "Macintosh-001A4D5F8398.local" instead

Random question... you don't have Cisco VPN software installed, do you? If so, delete it!

Hi, thanks so much for your suggestions, in response:

No, I don't have anything installed that was not part of the default install, this is the reboot after the installation completes, and after I have edited the kexts and reset the file permissions.

I left it to see if it would continue yesterday lunchtime, and when I got back in the evening it was still at the same place !!

I can install & run iatkos on an EFI partition (although the screen freezes / hangs from time to time) but I just can't seem to get this to work, I have installed probably 1/2 dozen times !!

Any other suggestions ???

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
I need help with the same thing. Mine hangs at:

any tips? I had to boot with tohkernel -v. installed with mbr

post-34277-1202521694_thumb.jpg

i have same exact error... im not sure what it is but if someone can help that would be awesome....

I had a mDnsResponder error as well; I originally tried to install from a hackintosh install other than what I wanted to run retail from and I didn't set all the permissions to the kexts.

One of things I did was as soon as I finished the install, I typed this command:

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx (Enter)

Where xxx is the name of the Harddrive you installed Leopard to.

I also did a kalyway install on the equipment I wanted to run retail on and ran the retail instructions from there.

Also i did chown on dsmos.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext and nvinject.kext... and then the other non vanilla kexts I copied to the extensions directory.

I then rebooted and got the welcome screen.

Maybe it just comes down to ensuring all the kexts you are copying have the right permissions and you take ownership of the hard drive that you just installed leopard on.

Hope this helps.

I installed from the kalyway dvd too. I repaired permissions from the disc itself after installation by booting into it and using the disk utility. But I still get stuck at the same place.

I set ownership, chown and repair permissions from the same terminal window as when I installed the retail disk. At that point I'm still logged in as root. After the install finishes, /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx was the very next command I did. I was making sure that all the permissions were set before I did the reboot.

I set ownership, chown and repair permissions from the same terminal window as when I installed the retail disk. At that point I'm still logged in as root. After the install finishes, /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx was the very next command I did. I was making sure that all the permissions were set before I did the reboot.

I'm having same issue, see my thread about LAN...there is a file you can try there. Yet, still having some issues...going to try a 3rd party card, listed in my signature

its actually Bonjour that is failing

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same thing it hangs hours trying all port (i guess).

I dont have a digital cam to take a snapshot.

I wrote some of them:

"mDNSResponder mDSN_Init Failed

SandBox_init error

Sandbox connection refused

Seckeychainaddcallback failed 25

usr/sbin/mDNSResponderHelper"

I disabled Onboard Lan in bios still the same issue

I hope someone will come up with a solution because we're just stuck with no OSX

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar issue with HP Pavilion DV9014EA laptop (AMD Turion X2, 2 x Fujitsu SATA, Nforce4 MCP 51).

Installed Leopard 10.5.2 AMD EFI. Tried all kernel and bootloader options available (9.0.0 - 9.2.0 kernel, EFI MBR Bootloader).

Broadcom wireless is detected during bootup. Nforce SATA driver complains about phy reset (seemingly random).

I've got partial success. Each time I get stuck at grey screen with rainbow circle cursor (cursor turns to circle while there is disk activity).

Before the grey screen I've noticed loop with mDNSResponder failing to start. Driver (kext) permissions were fixed while in DVD installer.

Could this be related to LAN card on board ? This laptop has no options in BIOS which I could play around with.

Any ideas how to fix or what to do? Except to wait for another release :unsure:

I've already tried several Tiger and Leopard hackintosh versions but this (Kalyway?) AMD EFI is what has gotten me even this far.

-- J

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I think the boot will hang at the 'SetDomainSecrets' line if your graphic kexts are out of whack. To get back to the desktop, reboot and follow these steps: press F8 for boot options Boot into single user prompt -s then enter each: mount -uw / cd /System/Library/Extensions rm -R NVinject.kext reboot Your startup should get to the desktop after this step. Your graphics will be basic, but then you can work on fixing your graphics kexts config again. Hope that helps, Emotional Friend

• 3 months later...

magical thread revival!

stumbled across this when i googled

"couldn't read user-specified local hostname"

after trying to install iDeneb on an MSI GT627 laptop and getting this problem

I booted using -v -f -x cpus=1, and navigated into volumes as #root and tried using the -a XXX ("untitled 1" in my case)

it said the "-a" command wasn't recognized, but when i used "exit"... it booted straight into OS X for the first time.

now i need to figure out how to get everything else working... i boot using -x -f -cpus=1 now

*** using ideneb 1.3 becuase 1.4 didn't have ACPI fix option

magical thread revival!

stumbled across this when i googled

"couldn't read user-specified local hostname"

after trying to install iDeneb on an MSI GT627 laptop and getting this problem

I booted using -v -f -x cpus=1, and navigated into volumes as #root and tried using the -a XXX ("untitled 1" in my case)

it said the "-a" command wasn't recognized, but when i used "exit"... it booted straight into OS X for the first time.

now i need to figure out how to get everything else working... i boot using -x -f -cpus=1 now

*** using ideneb 1.3 becuase 1.4 didn't have ACPI fix option

Perhaps it's just a typo, but when in safe boot, did you mean to type sudo vsdbutil -a BOOT_VOLUME_PATH, and it didn't accept the -a flag?

I'm trying to determine a fix for this, as well. Not for me, but for others experiencing this issue.

I'm under the impression that the only reason your were booted into OS X is because you did a safe boot with the -x flag, not because of the set volume ownership command.

regards,

MAJ

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, this problem is driving me up the wall. I've done this like 6 times now, and everytime it hangs on mDNSresponder: Couldn't read user specified computer name/local host name. I've never been able to boot this drive. Its retail 10.5.4 combo updated to 10.5.7, chameleon v2 rc1 and the LS8v17 script package to put in the needed .kexts for my GA-EP45-DQ6 mobo. The LS8 script even puts the realtek R1000 kext is s/l/e since it apparently won't load properly from /extra. now I did this vsbutil -a /volumes/XXXXX business, and it allowed me to repair permissions on the freshly installed leopard. So ownership and permissions should be good, the network driver should be good (granted I will need to churn up some EFI strings for ether, as I diden^t install the IONetworkingFamily.kext which LS8 labels as "time-machine fix", and it has something to do with bonjour, but fo christ sakes, other people using my same mobo were able to boot and activate time machine (and bonjour??) using only EFI strings)

anyone have any idea?

• 1 month later...

hey guys. had this problem on my acer 3680. using retail leopard 10.5 install with chameleon v2 bootloader. had to drop dsmos and SMBIOSEnabler kexts in the /Extra/Extensions folder. not sure if this will work for you, but thats what did it for me. best of luck.