P5E (X38) Q6600 with 8800GT complete install guide

drmando

53 posts in this topic

thanks for this topic dude.

so i have already in my laptop kalyway and is works almost perfect.

i make a new pc with your list and i made the installation.

Have anyone of you problem with the firewire ?

i have a sound card firewire pre sonus FIREBOX in my laptop play without drivers perfect !!!

when i try to new pc i haven't sound and some times i listen something like pink noise. after some tests

i loose the sound settings don.t open and sai error.

do you have any idea ?

• 2 weeks later...

Clean out of the box vanilla install- Kalyway 10.5.2. Everything works great. Set bios as stated in your instructions. Quickly loaded- installed - rebooted and is up and running.

Specs

MOBO: Asus P5E x38 chip set

Processor: E8400 Core 2 Duo LGA 775 pkg 3ghz

Video Card: Asus EN8800 GT 512

Sound Card: P5E Daughter Card add on

Memory: Geil 2g x2 8gb

CPU Cooling: Zalman 9500A

Hard Drive: Segate 500gb

Drive: Sony DL DVD/RW

Thanks ALL

i Had this problem, tried everyhing to get it work,but the magic was switching my IDE DVD Drive to SATA Drive... wich is the magic solution to allmost everyone that had this error...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Have any of you had this problem, its making me crazy. I'm using the kalyway 10.5.2 SSE2/SSE3 Inte/AMD disk.

When I boot the DVD I press F8 and type -v for verbose mode and the installation stops at the "Still waiting for Root Device" and cant even get to the Language Select window. I,ve followed youre guide, changed the bios settings but still same thing. Cant get to install. Can anyone help????

Asus P5E WS Pro

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4

4GB OCZ RAM

Samsung Spinpoint 320GHz SATA

Nvidia 8600GT 256

IDE DVDRW LG

Hello,

I wanted to know if you have any shutdown problems. I have the same board as you do, but my shutdown doesn't work. Leopard shuts down but my CPU fan and case fan keep running??

Have you had this problem? Is there a fix?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Miro

thanks ,

though i haven't start installation and i am starter but i have query that you havn't managed the boot loader at all.

how will vista and mac run together.

if these can run together is it p0ssible to run xp+vista+mac in triple boot without any big problems.

i have the same configuration as yours difference is xfx 8800gt .

also which version of kalyway is it.

Mac Os X on P5E + 8800GT and Q6600

ALL YOU NEED IS IN THIS FILE: http://rapidshare.com/files/86007773/drmando.rar

The Bios-Setting

1. AHCI Enabled

If windows vista is already installed you will first have to boot into vista and go to your windows directory and open de regedit.exe. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Sysyem\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci and change the Start property to "0"

2. Execute disable function = enabled

3. ACPI2 support = Yes

4. Intel speed step = disabled

Now you are ready to install.

The Installation

I used the KALYWAY image to base my installation on

My system:

SATA HD Spinpoint Samsung 500GB

-)2partitions a OSX of 200

Data of the rest

SATA DVD-RW Lite-on 20x

ASUS P5E with an X38Chipset … see asus.com for entire hardware list.

2GB RAM GEIL

NVIDIA 8800GT OC MSI

After having done the bios settings I put in the cd of MAC OS X. I pressed F8 for installation options and put in a "–v" to have terminal view instead of white apple screen in witch you cannot see errors. Loading the GUI of the installation may take a while.

The GUI has loaded, and asks for your languague, choose one and continue. Now go to utilities -) Disk utility and format partition your HD to your will. Be sure to have a Journaled partition as OSX requires one to install onto the rest of the partitions you may choose like HFS or whatever other format you like.

Install the vanilla kernel with patch leave other options for what they are may only cause crash.

Complete the setup and reboot and remove the CD.

WARNING if after reboot you have error 0b NO WORRIES, its just that your partition is not active (YET) in that case just leave the DVD in it and let it time out and you will boot into leopard.

OSX now loads continue till registration then hit windows sign and Q to skip it.

OSX after installation

This is were the tricky part starts. First you have to fill in some info until you come at the registration form. Just press CTRL+Q (some keyboards WIN+Q or ALT+Q) to skip the registration. Mac Os X setup is now complete but graphics are standard, no sound an no networking device!

Solutions follow!

The network adaptor (IF IT'S NOT WORKING YET)

I started with the network adaptor. For my motherboard I need to find the kext or make the kext for a Marvell Yukon 8056 type. There is none … no problem I fix it!

You will need to download following file from rapidshare or from my zip file. gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg wich has the 8053 version of my chip included. I will use that one to make mine. Install the package and then reboot.

Go to the terminal and type following commands:

CODE

cd /System/Library/Extensions <-- changes directory

sudo nano IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist <-- edits file

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)

(to: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)

(to: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>) <-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O) <-- saves changes

(press Y and Enter) <-- accepts saving to existing file

(press Control-X) <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext <-- repairs permissions

cd /System/Library <-- changes directories

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

I have had a lot of problems finding the right commandline for the file. If the file is empty its not the right one!!! Google a bit and look around for different variations. These lines worked for me. IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once Opened you will have to change the file like stated above using the CTRL+… key for controlling the edit program with controls stated downside in the box.

Reboot and network will work.

The VGA

I have a 8800 GT OC 512 version of MSI. I looked around on the net and found out this was the easiest of all :)

Just install the 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg included in my zip

The Audio

!UPDATE! ONLY THE BLUE EXIT LINE 2.1 SOUND !!!!

Take the AzaliaAudio.pkg from my zip and install it. Then run following command lines.

Step 1: (backup if you want too) Delete AppleHDA.kext:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

Step 2: Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

goto Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver key & change the <string> to

<string>0x11d4198b</string>

ctrl + O to save ctrl + X to quit

Step 3: Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext for matching ICH9R HDA interface proper ID:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the <string> to

<string>0x293e8086</string>

Step 4: Refresh kext caches

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

Step 5: Disk Utility>Repair Disk Permissions

Step 6: Reboot

WARNING: in step 4 it might not succeed I just went to that directory and cleared the cache map myself restored my disk and rebooted and it worked fine.

YOU HAVE SUCCEDED!!

Congratulations!! You have successfully done what I have.

Hope this info was handy based mine on lots of posts trough the net, many thanks to those people.

!UPDATE!

I can see from my RS account that my file gets downloaded many times, plz leave some feedback so i can work on fixes. thank you!!

!UPDATE!

Hello,

I wanted to know if you have any shutdown problems. I have the same board as you do, but my shutdown doesn't work. Leopard shuts down but my CPU fan and case fan keep running??

Have you had this problem? Is there a fix?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Miro

Yes,

I have the Shutdown problem. I have no idea what the solution would be. Sometimes it shutdowns completly but most of the time the fan and light stays on. Ive just learned to live wiht it.

Yes,

I have the Shutdown problem. I have no idea what the solution would be. Sometimes it shutdowns completly but most of the time the fan and light stays on. Ive just learned to live wiht it.

Same here. For shutting down, I just hold the power switch for five seconds or so to turn the computer off completely. I never use sleep on mine, I just set the screen saver to kick in and do not power down the drive or the screen. Just minor inconveniences that I too decided to "live with" -- since everything else works pretty damn good.

Hi guys,

Have any of you had this problem, its making me crazy. I'm using the kalyway 10.5.2 SSE2/SSE3 Inte/AMD disk.

When I boot the DVD I press F8 and type -v for verbose mode and the installation stops at the "Still waiting for Root Device" and cant even get to the Language Select window. I,ve followed youre guide, changed the bios settings but still same thing. Cant get to install. Can anyone help????

Asus P5E WS Pro

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4

4GB OCZ RAM

Samsung Spinpoint 320GHz SATA

Nvidia 8600GT 256

IDE DVDRW LG

Hey energizer1389,

I have the same Motherboard as you do (Asus P5E WS Pro) and my computer does not shutdown properly. Leopard shuts down but my CPU fan and case fan keep runnning?

Any help would be great!

Miro

Hey energizer1389,

I have the same Motherboard as you do (Asus P5E WS Pro) and my computer does not shutdown properly. Leopard shuts down but my CPU fan and case fan keep runnning?

Any help would be great!

Miro

Having the same issue with the Asus P5E (same board minus the PCI-X controller). The OS terminates, sometimes the I/O chip even turns off the power LED, but the power supply is still running and so are all the fans; also, there's a repeating sound from the case speaker when it does this.

Having the same issue with the Asus P5E (same board minus the PCI-X controller). The OS terminates, sometimes the I/O chip even turns off the power LED, but the power supply is still running and so are all the fans; also, there's a repeating sound from the case speaker when it does this.

Hey infyrno917,

Have you had any success with the shutdown problem??

Do you think that it may be the kind os Power Supple we have?? I've posted this question several times and I'm not getting an answer. One question: In your Mac Info, is your graphics listedby model number?? Mine isn't, but it works fine with all my programs. Do you think that we have to modify the Natit.kext to display the name of our graphics card? Will this fix shutdown??

Any help would be great!

My specs:

Asus P5E WS Pro

XFX 8800 GT 512meg

Q6600 CPU

Miro

What's the BIOS setting you use?

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on a usb hdd, and chain bootselector. It installs fine. It boots, but after a while it stops. Maybe it is something with the network adapter driver. Not sure. But the text on the screen is about network at the time, it seems..

I installed vanilla kernel 9.2.0 and nvidia (since I have a 9600gt). I also have q6600 and x-fi soundcard.

Drmando, Thanks for the instruction, do you have any problems with "Stanby mode" "S3" in PC world. I have similar hardware and everything works fine

except after wake-up from sleep the mouse just won't respond! do you have any fix for this?

My hardware spec:

Asus P5E WS Profesional

Intel Q6700

8GB RAM

WD Raptor 150

Nvidia Quatro FX3450

Logitech MX Revolution & Razor keyboard

PS - Mac OS perform 30% faster than Vista 64bit on same hardware spec!

I made it work :thumbsup_anim: Vanilla Kernel 9.2.2 . The whole OS x on a external USB drive.

Asus P5E

Intel Q6600

2 GB ram

Nvidia 9600gt

Soundblaster X-fi

Not made all the other stuff work by installing "drivers" yet..

Maybe wrong forum, but anyone got a good advice for a firewall?

And, can you control the CPU fan speed with any software? I have Intel Speed Step enabled in Bios. But CPU-fan Speed at full trottle is loud..!

Drmando, Thanks for the instruction, do you have any problems with "Stanby mode" "S3" in PC world. I have similar hardware and everything works fine

except after wake-up from sleep the mouse just won't respond! do you have any fix for this?

My hardware spec:

Asus P5E WS Profesional

Intel Q6700

8GB RAM

WD Raptor 150

Nvidia Quatro FX3450

Logitech MX Revolution & Razor keyboard

PS - Mac OS perform 30% faster than Vista 64bit on same hardware spec!

Hello PC Guru,

I have the same Motherboard as you, do you have shutdown problems. My computer shuts down but my cpu and case fan keep running.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Miro

Hi Miro30, I don't have any problems with shutdown just standby. Some of the setting inside bios must set correctly otherwise your system will not powerdown.

I will check the bios setting and will let you know later on tonight.

Hi Miro30, I don't have any problems with shutdown just standby. Some of the setting inside bios must set correctly otherwise your system will not powerdown.

Thanks PcGuru,

I would really appreciate it very much!

Let me know if you should need any help with your system. I've got everything running except shutdown and Time Machine.

Thanks again,

Miro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a very similar setup to many of you, (p5e q6600, 7900gs). Installed successfully but only boots intermittently. I was getting errors involving "cpu not receiving interrupts." Have changed some bios settings and now get "hey we are going backwards!" followed by configuration failed after 2 attempts." Could somebody tell me EXACTLY what they have enabled/disabled under cpu settings and ACPI (should 2.0 be enabled?). Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey PCGURU,

Have you found any solution to the shutdwon problem? I'm still working on my end and connot find one.

Cheers,

Miro

Blue Screen when I try to change resolution on the 8800GT???

I have a PNY 8800GT 512mb. I downloaded your zip and installed the 8800GT package, and it seemed to go great. After reboot it came up in 1600x1200 resolution and showed up correctly in the system profiler. I went to check out the resolution options under display in system prefernces, and as soon as clicked on it the screen went blue. I rebooted and it came back however, the resolution was back to 1024x768. As soon as I clicked on the display in system prefernces, the cycle continued.

Anyone have a similar problem or have any solutions?? Any help would be great!!!

PCGURU,

I found a workaround for the shutdown problem. I used a Retail install using the modified 123 boot cd, then did a 10.5.4 combo update, istalled NVinject v.5.1, then replaced a patched mach kernel and a system.kext from here:

http://######.com/blog/?p=239

Be sure to follow the instructions. It all works, shutdown, restart and even sleep! The only thing is when there is a new update, there may be an issue when replacing the mach kernel.

Hope this helps you,

Miro