P5E (X38) Q6600 with 8800GT complete install guide

drmando

53 posts in this topic

Mac Os X on P5E + 8800GT and Q6600

ALL YOU NEED IS IN THIS FILE: http://rapidshare.com/files/86007773/drmando.rar

The Bios-Setting

1. AHCI Enabled

If windows vista is already installed you will first have to boot into vista and go to your windows directory and open de regedit.exe. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Sysyem\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci and change the Start property to "0"

2. Execute disable function = enabled

3. ACPI2 support = Yes

4. Intel speed step = disabled

Now you are ready to install.

The Installation

I used the KALYWAY image to base my installation on

My system:

SATA HD Spinpoint Samsung 500GB

-)2partitions a OSX of 200

Data of the rest

SATA DVD-RW Lite-on 20x

ASUS P5E with an X38Chipset … see asus.com for entire hardware list.

2GB RAM GEIL

NVIDIA 8800GT OC MSI

After having done the bios settings I put in the cd of MAC OS X. I pressed F8 for installation options and put in a "–v" to have terminal view instead of white apple screen in witch you cannot see errors. Loading the GUI of the installation may take a while.

The GUI has loaded, and asks for your languague, choose one and continue. Now go to utilities -) Disk utility and format partition your HD to your will. Be sure to have a Journaled partition as OSX requires one to install onto the rest of the partitions you may choose like HFS or whatever other format you like.

Install the vanilla kernel with patch leave other options for what they are may only cause crash.

Complete the setup and reboot and remove the CD.

WARNING if after reboot you have error 0b NO WORRIES, its just that your partition is not active (YET) in that case just leave the DVD in it and let it time out and you will boot into leopard.

OSX now loads continue till registration then hit windows sign and Q to skip it.

OSX after installation

This is were the tricky part starts. First you have to fill in some info until you come at the registration form. Just press CTRL+Q (some keyboards WIN+Q or ALT+Q) to skip the registration. Mac Os X setup is now complete but graphics are standard, no sound an no networking device!

Solutions follow!

The network adaptor (IF IT'S NOT WORKING YET)

I started with the network adaptor. For my motherboard I need to find the kext or make the kext for a Marvell Yukon 8056 type. There is none … no problem I fix it!

You will need to download following file from rapidshare or from my zip file. gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg wich has the 8053 version of my chip included. I will use that one to make mine. Install the package and then reboot.

Go to the terminal and type following commands:

CODE

cd /System/Library/Extensions <-- changes directory

sudo nano IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist <-- edits file

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)

(to: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)

(to: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>) <-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O) <-- saves changes

(press Y and Enter) <-- accepts saving to existing file

(press Control-X) <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext <-- repairs permissions

cd /System/Library <-- changes directories

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

I have had a lot of problems finding the right commandline for the file. If the file is empty its not the right one!!! Google a bit and look around for different variations. These lines worked for me. IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Once Opened you will have to change the file like stated above using the CTRL+… key for controlling the edit program with controls stated downside in the box.

Reboot and network will work.

The VGA

I have a 8800 GT OC 512 version of MSI. I looked around on the net and found out this was the easiest of all :)

Just install the 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg included in my zip

The Audio

!UPDATE! ONLY THE BLUE EXIT LINE 2.1 SOUND !!!!

Take the AzaliaAudio.pkg from my zip and install it. Then run following command lines.

Step 1: (backup if you want too) Delete AppleHDA.kext:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

Step 2: Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

goto Realtek ALC880/ALC860 Codec Driver key & change the <string> to

<string>0x11d4198b</string>

ctrl + O to save ctrl + X to quit

Step 3: Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext for matching ICH9R HDA interface proper ID:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the <string> to

<string>0x293e8086</string>

Step 4: Refresh kext caches

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

Step 5: Disk Utility>Repair Disk Permissions

Step 6: Reboot

WARNING: in step 4 it might not succeed I just went to that directory and cleared the cache map myself restored my disk and rebooted and it worked fine.

YOU HAVE SUCCEDED!!

Congratulations!! You have successfully done what I have.

Hope this info was handy based mine on lots of posts trough the net, many thanks to those people.

!UPDATE!

I can see from my RS account that my file gets downloaded many times, plz leave some feedback so i can work on fixes. thank you!!

!UPDATE!

the audio work all??? and wy do you fix the ethernet controller?? i think that it's work with kalyway

its because I have also installed some other versions ... and in 1.4.8 that I have installed ass well I had to fix it so for some people who are looking to make a P5E ethernet work on OS X I left it in my manual (thats why there is written if not working yet :) )

audio is the blue exit that works 2.1 havent got the digital ones working (yet)

Thank you verry much fot your help !

I did the bios setings like you said , but when I boot in dvd I have the same problem :

"System config file'/com.apple.Boot.plist not found" maybe I d'ont have the right cd.

I have tried my settings with 10.4.8Tiger and 10.5.1 Leopard so I guess idd your dvd will have an error. Try downloading the kalyway from any torrent you like. (iAtkos is buggy to so don't download that one)

just an FYI for everyone...kalyway has all the drivers to make atleast audio & ethernet work on the P5E...and as far as i've seen it has all the drivers for the P5E (i havent ran into a non working thing yet) except it shows internal ahci sata drives with an orange icon.

what was the problem with P5E ..and for what purpose are the files you uploaded?in p5k q6600 8800gt there is no problem with kalyway 10.5.1 but as i said a LOT of times ,8800gt crash very ofteni;m waiting for 10.5.2 updateso what's the files in your post?

what was the problem with P5E ..and for what purpose are the files you uploaded?in p5k q6600 8800gt there is no problem with kalyway 10.5.1 but as i said a LOT of times ,8800gt crash very often

i;m waiting for 10.5.2 updateso what's the files in your post?

EDIT: your topic title i think should change..

inside your magic rar... :

audio:old new

snetwork: old news

8800gt:1 month news but we were w8ing since september for the 10.5.2 kexts/framework

i can't understand the meaning of those threads... :(

Have I downloaded the wrong version or what in that case, only thing that worked FINE was the network device, GFX was standard adaptor running at 1280*something and not 1600*1280 ... also when I installed I movie it gave me messages I had no quartz grafix card. After having done what I posted it worked fine.

I had no audio at all ... after having done what I did it worked, why should I take the trouble to write this if its useless ??? silly reply as far as I know mate and most af all your "old news" thing ... I had to make some ajustments because what I found did not work like that ... and I combined everything for users so they don't have to go google for 3 days like I did. With 50+ downloads on my pack ... some people must have same problems no?

If you don't apreciate just don't reply

• 2 weeks later...

drmando, thank you very much for this HOW TO - It's been very helpful for me in my installation

One problem is the audio, I followed the steps but I cannot get it to work. Are there any troubleshooting steps? should my audio be set to HD audio or AC? In your instructions The only thing I had an issue was in step 4, when I tried to sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache I always get "No such file or directory". I didn't understand how to clear the cache map myself..

Thanks in advanced for any help!

I've been awai for some time i'll give it a look as fast as possible how i have set my bios setting of HD or AC, you have connected the bleu output? (other ones won't work)

drmando, thank you very much for this HOW TO - It's been very helpful for me in my installation One problem is the audio, I followed the steps but I cannot get it to work. Are there any troubleshooting steps? should my audio be set to HD audio or AC? In your instructions The only thing I had an issue was in step 4, when I tried to sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache I always get "No such file or directory". I didn't understand how to clear the cache map myself..Thanks in advanced for any help!
You have to go to the menu option go to folder then type /System/Library/Extensions there look for the kextcashe browse it and delete the items in it (not all of them only ones having something to do with audio worked for me)Hope this works greatz DrMando
drmando, thank you very much for this HOW TO - It's been very helpful for me in my installation One problem is the audio, I followed the steps but I cannot get it to work. Are there any troubleshooting steps? should my audio be set to HD audio or AC? In your instructions The only thing I had an issue was in step 4, when I tried to sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache I always get "No such file or directory". I didn't understand how to clear the cache map myself..Thanks in advanced for any help!

hey thanks for the reply! I did a re-install and picked the AD988B from the customize menu right before install (when you select the patch and so on) and that worked fine. Quick question, I have a GTX 8800 with 768 vram, but it only shows 256 in "about this mac".. any idea how to make it utilize the 768? or even 512?Thanks again for everything!nevermind if anyone has issues with video drivers for NVIDIA try this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931

• 4 weeks later...

Hi drmando,

I get the same error as vandoren:

System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

I am using the Kalyway 10.5.1 install dvd that has worked on other machines.

I followed your bios settings.

I don't have Vista installed.

My current setup is:

Asus p5e (x38)

Intel q6600

BFG 7600gt

3G Corsair ram

Any suggestions?????

Hi drmando,

I get the same error as vandoren:

System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

I am using the Kalyway 10.5.1 install dvd that has worked on other machines.

I followed your bios settings.

I don't have Vista installed.

My current setup is:

Asus p5e (x38)

Intel q6600

BFG 7600gt

3G Corsair ram

Any suggestions?????

i Had this problem, tried everyhing to get it work,but the magic was switching my IDE DVD Drive to SATA Drive... wich is the magic solution to allmost everyone that had this error...

what's the audio situation like on this board now? onboard 100% working? or is there some work needed?

just wondering, as i'm about to order parts for this rig, and i'm trying to decide between the regular p5e and the p5e ws pro

the blue audio exit works fine. All other not as far as I know. My installation way works for every version of OSX you'll find on the net. Tried it with callyway and others leopard and tiger ... should work.Greatz drmando

what's the audio situation like on this board now? onboard 100% working? or is there some work needed?just wondering, as i'm about to order parts for this rig, and i'm trying to decide between the regular p5e and the p5e ws pro
Afraid so, but it should work ons IDE also, but no way to try it...if you continue having troubles just post back.Greatz Drmando
Thanks Asot,I guess I'll go have to buy a SATA DVD drive...Question for those using Asus p5e (x38) MOBO,Which version BIOS are you using? Are you having memory issues?Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Have any of you had this problem, its making me crazy. I'm using the kalyway 10.5.2 SSE2/SSE3 Inte/AMD disk.

When I boot the DVD I press F8 and type -v for verbose mode and the installation stops at the "Still waiting for Root Device" and cant even get to the Language Select window. I,ve followed youre guide, changed the bios settings but still same thing. Cant get to install. Can anyone help????

Asus P5E WS Pro

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4

4GB OCZ RAM

Samsung Spinpoint 320GHz SATA

Nvidia 8600GT 256

IDE DVDRW LG

I will try this guide some time next week. So far none of the others, that I have tried, worked.

What if I allready have succesfully installed Kalyway/Leo4All? Can I just change some settings in the bios and apply some of these patches?

I have one Pentium 4 hackintosh and a Intel Core 2 Duo hackintosh. The Core 2 Duo one has Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo, so these instructions should work, right?

Currently having trouble with networking devices and sleep/shut down.

I have succesfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2. Network working out of the box and audio too. Although in the info window it says that there is no built in audio, but the output is working fine.

This Kalyway version is missing Garageband, iWork, and others. It only has iPhoto, the rest of the iLife is missing. Do I have to get these somewhere else or did I do a wrong install???