[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Is there a way to change AppleClamshellCausesSleep value?

Ok, I looked into some info, and finding that all documentation about IOPMRootDomain are close to nonexisting.

But to make OS X sleep a call to IOPMSleepSystem() is all that is needed. Or from a kext with function receivePowerNotification (kIOPMSleepNow) That is the easy part.

There is no use in changing the AppleClamshellCausesSleep value in it self as it is updated by the kernel and not read. Here you see the code which does just that:

setProperty(kAppleClamshellCausesSleepKey, 
   shouldSleepOnClamshellClosed() ? kOSBooleanTrue : kOSBooleanFalse);

the call that decides the value is this:

bool IOPMrootDomain::shouldSleepOnClamshellClosed ( void )
{
return ( !ignoringClamshell 
	  && !ignoringClamshellDuringWakeup 
	  && !(desktopMode && acAdaptorConnect) );
}

and that same call is used to check if sleep on clamshell close is possible as shown in this code

if ( eval_clamshell && shouldSleepOnClamshellClosed() ) 
{

// SLEEP!
	privateSleepSystem (kIOPMClamshellSleepKey);
}

So basically what we need is to find out how we can set the values 1. ignoringClamshell 2. ignoringClamshellDuringWakeup 3. desktopMode and 4. acAdaptorConnect

No. 4 is when the AC adaptor is connected, so disconnecting should be all that is needed (you will need proper powermanagment working.

No. 1 is evaluated and true if external display is connected false if not.

No. 2 is true when waking up from sleep. Should be false after 30 seconds.

No. 3 is a value that is evaluated in the following code:

if (msg & kIOPMSetDesktopMode) 
{
	desktopMode = (0 != (msg & kIOPMSetValue));
	msg &= ~(kIOPMSetDesktopMode | kIOPMSetValue);

sendClientClamshellNotification();

// Re-evaluate the lid state
	if( clamshellIsClosed )
	{
		eval_clamshell = true;
	}
}

It says that this code is sent from graphics, and I think that is what is blocking for clamshell sleep. Any other ideas? Or someone here good at kernel programming that can make a kext doing that? I will try it, but any help is appreciated. :)

Hello everyone. I have spent almost a week tweaking my Mac OS X86 install on my M1530 and here is my report so far.

I tried both iAtkos and Kalyway distros and found Kalyway to work better out of the box for my setup. iAtkos worked fine but I didn't have a working wireless card. With Kalyway I had a working Wireless card.

I had a bunch of issues with partitioning. I installed Mac Os on /sda6, where Ubuntu used to reside. I had the mediadirect partitions in there, Vista, Linux Swap and a Media partition to share data between Linux and Vista. This media partition is the only one I am concerned about. In the end I ended up using gparted to remove the mediadirect partitions and leave only a Vista primary partition, and a Mac OS and Media partition as part of an extended partition. I am using the Vista BCD and it works perfectly.

Once in Mac OS I have a working Wireless card all the time. I installed the Nvidia drivers using NVInstaller 0.41. I used the AppleHDA.kext file that is posted at the beginning of this thread and my audio is hit and miss. I also upgraded to 10.5.2 using the guide.

I just installed the netkas 9.2.0 kernel for speedstep and I got no crashes.

Now for the non working parts.

Audio

Before installing the netkas 9.2.0 kernel I could get Audio to work by using the Sleep Screen hot corner trick. It didn't work for me all the time. I found that a sure way to make it work was to boot into Mac OS once, reboot, force computer off since it won't reboot, boot into Mac OS, log in, sleep the screen, wake up, log out, log back in, sleep screen and audio would work.

It wouldn't work when booting up after doing a "Shut Down" or if it slept on its own and it crash/rebooted.}

Now that I installed the netkas kernel it seems to be broken, but I still need to run some more tests.

Video

Video works. I get the full resolution at 1680x1050. I used the NVInstaller and selected the 10.5.2 kernel, the Go patch and the 512 MB patch. I have the shut down / restart / sleep problem everybody has.

Touchpad

I have the two finger scrolling working after some tweaking of the settings. One thing of note is that I have an ALPS touchpad but I had to make changes to the settings under the Synaptics section, if I did them under ALPS they would have no effect.

All in all it is working pretty well. I've had some odd issues that I can't find documented in the forums, but they seem to resolve themselves or are not that important.

One of them is that at some point I could not see my volumes on the desktop. I found out that if I logged out and logged back in I could see them. After the netkas kernel upgrade I see them on my first login. I will probably go back to the previous behavior if I restore my previous kernel. Which I guess is the 10.5.2 from NVInstaller.

I also have a quirk with my external USB drive. I am not booting off of it. When I plugged it in it was not detected. After some reading I found that I had to manually load the External USB kext. I don't know why this is not loaded automatically. I also noticed that the external drive is loaded if it is plugged in at boot. I also am not sure if my current drivers are running my USB ports at 2.0 speeds. I am guessing they are, as my external hard drive does not seem to be extremely slow.

I installed iLife 08 and I'm unable to run iMovie, it crashes, and iDVD says that I don't have a supported DVD writer. Oh well.

Making a wishlist on what I would like fixed, I guess it would be something like this:

1. Make Audio consistant without having to do any tricks

2. Fix shutdown/reboot/sleep issue

3. Fix USB quirk

I will definitely spend some time on this and will try to figure this out and read some more. There is still a lot to learn.

Gracias MacGirl and everyone else.

EDIT: Forgot I was going to include the specs of my M1530

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500

3 GB RAM

Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB

WSXGA+

Dell Truemobile 1490

Bluetooth

ALSP Touchpad

im getting KP, appleintelcpumanagement.kext; it hangs at Kernel version: darwin kernel... system model name: m1530

then nothing else.

i installed fresh iatkos 1.0ir2, then straight away to kalyway combo update, then kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update

then use pcwiz to install mach_kernel of netkas 9.2 speedstep with shutdown fix.

happened twice already. im doing something obviously wrong.

according to netkas' instructions, im going to try rm -rf appleintelcpumanagement.kext before i reboot after installation of the netkas 9.2 kernel.

The thing is though that when your are installing the update the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext is loaded because the Extensions cache is regenerated, so it needs to be erased inmediatly before it will loaded.

But that doesn't happen if you install with Kalyway Update. You can use kalyway Update even on other installations like iATKOS or other.

I got a dell wireless card off of ebay (the 1490), but I cannot figure out where it goes on my M1330. Does it go where the remote control thing is? That bay is kind of deep. How do i actually plug it in there? Also, if this card is in, does that mean the remote is left without a home? I really like that slot for the remote, but I guess I would lose it if wireless internet in Leopard were at stake.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1330/

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...d.htm#wp1180236

Ok, I looked into some info, and finding that all documentation about IOPMRootDomain are close to nonexisting.

But to make OS X sleep a call to IOPMSleepSystem() is all that is needed. Or from a kext with function receivePowerNotification (kIOPMSleepNow) That is the easy part.

There is no use in changing the AppleClamshellCausesSleep value in it self as it is updated by the kernel and not read. Here you see the code which does just that:

It says that this code is sent from graphics, and I think that is what is blocking for clamshell sleep. Any other ideas? Or someone here good at kernel programming that can make a kext doing that? I will try it, but any help is appreciated. ;)

I will try to modify the sleepwatcher code, it alreaddy could run as a daemon, so a subroutine that check the state of the clamshell could run the already included sleep command.

Meantime I checked my script, it takes very little resources (I checked with Activity Monitor).

I got sleep working by replacing IOUSBFamily.kext, as modified by superhai. However, none of my usb ports are working. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?

EDIT: I did not realize that I was only replacing one .kext file within IOUSBFamily.kext! I just swapped out the whole file - and I was wondering why their size was so different!

So make sure to just replace AppleUSBEHCI.kext with PCGenUSBEHCI.kext, and nothing else!

;)

ok macgirl, i got it to boot with the following

fresh iatkos 1.0ir2, kalyway combo update, kalyway kernel update, then netkas 9.2.0 speedstep w/ shutdown fix, then nvinject v.41 with mobile, 256mb (i DID NOT install the kernel included with nvinject.)

can't reboot/shutdown. it will stall at shutdown/reboot.

@kristoff, did you try reinstalling all other USB kexts? maybe something is not loading.

ok macgirl, i got it to boot with the following

fresh iatkos 1.0ir2, kalyway combo update, kalyway kernel update, then netkas 9.2.0 speedstep w/ shutdown fix, then nvinject v.41 with mobile, 256mb (i DID NOT install the kernel included with nvinject.)

can't reboot/shutdown. it will stall at shutdown/reboot.

That is normal, there is no fix for Shutdown/Restart issue for the moment.

@kristoff, did you try reinstalling all other USB kexts? maybe something is not loading.

That is normal, there is no fix for Shutdown/Restart issue for the moment.

ok then.

i don't have any battery indicator. this is what i did. i chose Stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext during iatkos install.

copy the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext.zip that I got from your 1st post (under attachments).

unzip to desktop, copy the .kext file to /system/library/extensions

go into terminal

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/appleacpipowersource.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/appleacpipowersource.kext

reboot (i dont have a extensions.kext cache anywhere).

for the powermanagement.bundle, i couldnt delete it through finder because of permissions, so i went into terminal

sudo -s

chmod -R 777 /system/library/systemconfiguration/powermanagement.bundle

chown -R "USERNAME" /system/library/systemconfiguration/powermanagement.bundle

then in Finder, delete the powermanagement.bundle

download the powermanagement.bundle that I got from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425

copied the powermanagement.bundle to /system/library/systemconfiguration

go back into terminal

chmod -R 755 /system/library/systemconfiguration/powermanagement.bundle

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/systemconfiguration/powermanagement.bundle

reboot.

I HAVE NOT installed/changed/done anything with AppleSMBIOS.

i did kextstat in terminal and I DID NOT see AppleACPIPowersource.kext listed anywhere. I did see though AppleACPIPlatform.kext (1.1.0) Is that old?

so I:

then i went into terminal

sudo -s

nano /system/library/extensions/appleacpipowersource.kext/contents/info.plist

and change the version numbers inside that file and saved.

ok then.

i don't have any battery indicator. this is what i did. i chose Stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext during iatkos install.

reboot (i dont have a extensions.kext cache anywhere).

it is Extensions.mkext

HAVE NOT installed/changed/done anything with AppleSMBIOS.

i did kextstat in terminal and I DID NOT see AppleACPIPowersource.kext listed anywhere. I did see though AppleACPIPlatform.kext (1.1.0) Is that old?

If you have 1.1.0 AppleACPIPlatform it is not the Stock one, maybe it is overwritten with other package, because the Vanilla 10.5.2 AppleACPIPlatform is 1.2.1

Anyway one the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is loaded you need to go in the System Prefereces and on Energy Saver pane turn on the battery indicator.

I did get sleep working, and my usb ports are responsive. However, I should add that I had to run this command in Terminal to change ownership for PCGenUSBEHCI.kext:

sudo chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

- even after repairing permissions. Worth noting, methinks!

;)

Probably you installed Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform but no ACPIPS2Nub.kext

First time works because it has the proper kexts in the Extensions Cache created by the installer, but whe you are in leopard first time the cahce is regenerated (it is regenerated each time something is changed in the Extensions folder).

thanks macgirl. you're the best =D

anyways, I figured out after reading about the 10.5.2 update and the PS2 keyboard/mouse thing. I replaced the kexts and my trackpad and keyboard worked again!!

something funnay tho: I got my sound to work, but when I installed the kexts for battery power, my sound died and I cant get it to work no matter how much I replace the ApplehHDA kext. What's wrong? Also, with the power management kext, shutdown doesnt work properly anymore. The only thing that powered down was the screen but not the CPU

and oh, I installed drivers for a wireless dongle, but nothing happens when I plug it in. no new hardware found, no airport, nothing new shows up under network....

I did get sleep working, and my usb ports are responsive. However, I should add that I had to run this command in Terminal to change ownership for PCGenUSBEHCI.kext:

sudo chown root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUSBEHCI.kext

- even after repairing permissions. Worth noting, methinks!

:D

The AppleUSBECHI.kext from Superhai does not load?

thanks macgirl. you're the best =D

anyways, I figured out after reading about the 10.5.2 update and the PS2 keyboard/mouse thing. I replaced the kexts and my trackpad and keyboard worked again!!

something funnay tho: I got my sound to work, but when I installed the kexts for battery power, my sound died and I cant get it to work no matter how much I replace the ApplehHDA kext. What's wrong? Also, with the power management kext, shutdown doesnt work properly anymore. The only thing that powered down was the screen but not the CPU

and oh, I installed drivers for a wireless dongle, but nothing happens when I plug it in. no new hardware found, no airport, nothing new shows up under network....

:shock: Never thought that PowerManagement.bundle has something to do with shutdown/restart issue, I will test more configurations...

What USB Dongle do you have, did you run any App to join a wireless network?

I got it working! I used the ACPIPlatform in your first post, macgirl.

Now as for sound...

I went into Extensions, but couldn't find AppleAzalia.kext. I did see AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. I deleted that one.

I also deleted AppleHDA.kext using rm -rf in terminal.

I then used kexthelper to install the new AppleHDA.kext and ALCInject.kext

Sound worked right away. But after restart, it doesn't work! So I run kexthelper again, it works again, after restart, it disappears!

So I install only AppleHDA.kext through kexthelper, and that alone fixes the sound. Until next reboot!

:D Never thought that PowerManagement.bundle has something to do with shutdown/restart issue, I will test more configurations...

What USB Dongle do you have, did you run any App to join a wireless network?

list of kexts I have installed:

AppleHDA

ALCInject

ACPIPS2Nub.kext (renamed this to AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext to get mouse/keyboard to work)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (the one that came with PS2_Batt_Working zip file that was provided in the fix 10.5.2 keyboard issues thread)

AppleACPIPlatform (from the same zip)

NVinject installer

How would I get the sound to work again?

It's an Aztech WLU230USB. OSX sees it as a ZyDAS and when I installed the driver it did not provide any app to connect.

im having a problem with the audio driver:

iatkos, kalyway combo/kernel updated to netkas 9.2.0 with speedstep, nvinject .41.

so i use kexthelper to install AppleHDA, and Alcinject. Did delete the Azalia.

Can't get sound anymore...hmm

I do ls -l in /system/library/extensions and I get drwxr-xr-x@ for Applehda, and drwxr-xr-x for Alcinject.also, both seem to be loaded in kextstat, but i seem to be able to freely drag Applehda.kext to the trash without any error...i couldnt do that before.

I wasn't aware that there is an AppleUSBEHCI.kext by Superhai - the only one I have is PCGenUSBEHCI.kext. I deleted AppleUSBEHCI.kext from my system's folder. Sleep and USB are both working, so changing ownership in Terminal, seemed to do the trick.

Is there supposed to be AppleUSBEHCI.kext included with the download from Superhai?

tried both ways macgirl. I really appreciate your help.

funny thing is, it used to work (as i said, it worked after i used kexthelper, then it would not work after next startup, and over and over again).

then for some reason while i was trying to fix that, now it doesnt give sound at all! i think the permissions are screwed up?

3. desktopMode

It says that this code is sent from graphics, and I think that is what is blocking for clamshell sleep. Any other ideas? Or someone here good at kernel programming that can make a kext doing that? I will try it, but any help is appreciated. :P

I was able to make a kext that changes that value, and now it is able to sleep when I close the lid. The problem is now that after coming up from sleep the display driver resets this value. So I need to make a logic that sets it after coming from sleep as well.

Update, now I have added wakeup from sleep capability to my kext and I think it is ready for a beta ride. But remember this is only if you have working sleep but not able to sleep from lid close. It will not work if AC or External Display is connected, as that is per design from Apple. If you want to remove it you can use sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/TurnLidOn.kext and then sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions and a reboot after that.

TurnLidOn_0.9.0b.zip

Superhai, the kext is working but sometimes at fresh reboot Lappy does not go to sleep.

So I check on Terminal:

ioreg -n IOPMrootDomain | grep AppleClamshellCausesSleep

| | | "AppleClamshellCausesSleep" = No

But after unloading the kext:

ioreg -n IOPMrootDomain | grep AppleClamshellCausesSleep

| | | "AppleClamshellCausesSleep" = Yes

Then I load the kext and stays on "Yes".

Another way to make it change is to manually set it to sleep, so after wake the kext sets AppleClamshellCausesSleep to Yes.

Thank You

Hi,

I tried your kext on an Inspiron 9400. sleep comes with lid closing, but unfortunately, i get KP or system freeze after wake up.

sonotone, did you try my script, does it makes a KP also?