[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Superhai, I fount a value that possibly could help us to make the system to sleep on lid close.

A script wouldn't be hard, but even better would be to find out why it is set to not to sleep. I will try to make a custom kernel and see if I can make it go to sleep on close. Eventually try to find where it reads this information. You could check out here:

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=xnu-1228...lCausesSleepKey

Ya, the scrips is easy I came whit this:

#!/bin/sh
while true; do
 state=`ioreg -n IOPMrootDomain | grep AppleClamshellState | sed 's/^.*=//'`
 if [ $state = "Yes" ]
 then
#echo "Lid Close"
/usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to sleep'
 fi
 sleep 10
done

It works, but I don't know if it is clever.

Also, what about string in com.appleboot.plist to tell PC-EFI set AppleClamshellCausesSleep=Yes instead of modified kernel?

Ya, the scrips is easy I came whit this:

Also, what about string in com.appleboot.plist to tell PC-EFI set AppleClamshellCausesSleep=Yes instead of modified kernel?

The script will use some resources to run (running ioreg for instance). If it is an option that is passed from efi then that would be great. It should be simple to make this as an option.

Hi guys,

I posted a thread in the 10.5 Leopard section and it keeps getting buried. I have a M1530 with Penryn (I'm thinking it might be the problem.) Is there any switch that might avoid any type of CPU incompatibility?

Here is my original thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97026

Simply put, I can't get powermanagement (battery, sleep/shutdown/restart) working with fresh iATKOS 10.5.1 1.0ir2 working.

I tried powermanagement.bundle (the leopard one), that caused problems shutting/restarting/sleeping (screen would shutoff, laptop wouldnt).

Of course, I begun installing AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, but I couldn't find where it went, since the AppleACPIPlatform.kext that comes with iATKOS doesn't have it as a plugin. So....

How do I install powermanagement.bundle, the two kexts, and AppleSMBIOS.kext correctly in a fresh iATKOS 10.5.1 r2. Only other thing I do install is nvinject .41 with only mobile/256mb support.

Thank you in advance (God knows how badly I need help)

Hi I just want to add my two cents on installing iAtkos r2 on the XPS M1330... I tried like ten times, but got HFS+ errors and blinking cursors all over the place. Of couse I was more than a little frustrated, as I bought the M1330 because I thought it was a breeze to install.

This is the solution that finally got me to boot 10.5.1:

1 Start with the iAtkos Install Disk.

2 Go to disk util

3 Erase entire drive, and make sure you go into partitions and make it a HFS+ Journaled MBR drive and not GUID.

4 If you want other partitions make them FAT32 unmounted for the time beeing.

6 Reboot with GPARTED BOOT CD and set bootflag to your HFS+ partition.

7 Reboot, insert iATKOS install-dvd and install with EFI BOOTLOADER and STOCK KERNEL as the only extras.

NOTE: You may have luck installing on a partion without erasing the others, as long as you make sure it's an MBR drive and then reboot with gparted and set bootflag to this partition BEFORE you re-load the iAtkos installer disk and install OSX, but I didn't try this as I didn't have things on the drive that I wanted to keep.

No guarantee this will work, but I tried a zillion different things and this is what finally got me to boot OSX.

Hi guys,

I posted a thread in the 10.5 Leopard section and it keeps getting buried. I have a M1530 with Penryn (I'm thinking it might be the problem.) Is there any switch that might avoid any type of CPU incompatibility?

Here is my original thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97026

Simply put, I can't get powermanagement (battery, sleep/shutdown/restart) working with fresh iATKOS 10.5.1 1.0ir2 working.

I tried powermanagement.bundle (the leopard one), that caused problems shutting/restarting/sleeping (screen would shutoff, laptop wouldnt).

Of course, I begun installing AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, but I couldn't find where it went, since the AppleACPIPlatform.kext that comes with iATKOS doesn't have it as a plugin. So....

How do I install powermanagement.bundle, the two kexts, and AppleSMBIOS.kext correctly in a fresh iATKOS 10.5.1 r2. Only other thing I do install is nvinject .41 with only mobile/256mb support.

Thank you in advance (God knows how badly I need help)

There are no issues with Penryn procs, there are no compatibilty flags or options.

PowerManagement.bundle or AppleACPIPowerSource.kext has anything to do with shutdown/restart ability.

You cannot get Battery indicator only installing PowerManagement.bundle on a fresh install, you need an AppleACPIPowerSource loaded right.

You have restartrt/shutdown on fress install because 10.5.1 Nvidia kexts simply don't load, and these are responsible of shutdown/restart failures.

So here are the basics steps.

1 fresh install - choose Vanilla or moded AppleACPIPlatform.kext

2 update to 10.5.2

3 install NVinject

4 install Graphics Update

5 if you choose vanilla AppleACPIPlatform then install AppleACPIPowerSource.kext from first post

6 Install moded PowerManagement.bundle (none of vanilla versions works on hacks).

Hey guys I noticed something strange with my Vostro 1400: every time I reboot after the initial sucessful installation (after creating my account) I can no longer use my trackpad and keyboard!! but it worked fine with the installer and before reboot. What's happening?

Probably you installed Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform but no ACPIPS2Nub.kext

First time works because it has the proper kexts in the Extensions Cache created by the installer, but whe you are in leopard first time the cahce is regenerated (it is regenerated each time something is changed in the Extensions folder).

hello mac girl can you explain me step by step how to fix the sound in my xps 1330.

I installed leopard iarkos it work fine and i installed the nvidia driver but for the sound i dont understand what do you mean by "DELETE AppleAzalia.kext (it wil block AppleHDA to wok propperly," and what i have to do with the zip file STAC9228_0x83847616.zip.

Its my first time on mac os so in dont now how to install drivers on this system.

For the nvidia its was easy with the installer but for the sound how to proceed? thanks a lot for your help god bless you!!!

Sorry for my english i'am french

i'm very happy with mac os ont the xps 1330 because the mac book dont have led screen so now i have the perfect mac book lol

There are no issues with Penryn procs, there are no compatibilty flags or options.

PowerManagement.bundle or AppleACPIPowerSource.kext has anything to do with shutdown/restart ability.

You cannot get Battery indicator only installing PowerManagement.bundle on a fresh install, you need an AppleACPIPowerSource loaded right.

You have restartrt/shutdown on fress install because 10.5.1 Nvidia kexts simply don't load, and these are responsible of shutdown/restart failures.

So here are the basics steps.

1 fresh install - choose Vanilla or moded AppleACPIPlatform.kext

2 update to 10.5.2

3 install NVinject

4 install Graphics Update

5 if you choose vanilla AppleACPIPlatform then install AppleACPIPowerSource.kext from first post

6 Install moded PowerManagement.bundle (none of vanilla versions works on hacks).

Should I use the Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 patch or should I follow netkas' instructions (the ones found on the first page under "if u have vanilla 10.5.1) i guess i shouldnt since i have modified 10.5.1? is there anything i need to do before or after the kalyway patch so it doesnt KP on me (well, in general im saying)?

update 12:14: well i see that u are reading my post huh. if u can help me fix this, i swear i love u macgirl.

jk jk.

My apologies for the the long winded post, but I simply must express my gratitude to Macgirl among others on this forum! :( Macgirl, you are indeed a wondrous guide amidst the ocean of the OSx86 half truths and falsehoods! I have been quietly lurking among these forums for around a month now, no posts as all the information is available if one looks hard enough. Truly, one could write a novel on this subject, it would probably be a bestseller too. This particular thread is among my favorites as it concerns itself with my XPS M1530 among other things, I have attempted almost every enabler on the front page with much success, however the native Intel Wi-Fi simply eludes me. I have started with the iATKOSr2, went to Kalyway and finally settled on the Mac4Allv2 distro. Latest Vanilla, dual boot with Vista Ultimate SP1, with both boot loaders loading each other. All works except the Wi-Fi, for some reason this laptop was cursed with the Intel 4965AGN instead of its common Dell wireless counterpart. I paid this little detail no mind at the time of purchase. I am currently using the Netgear's WG111v2 Wireless USB adaptor with the Realteks RTL8187L kexts, but it is very fragile and ready to bust, I would LOVE to dispose with it. Surely, something could be done to enable said very popular Intel adaptor to function under the Leopard, even with its performance diminished. I have read this entire thread, among many others, all to no avail! Let us all corroborate and find a solution! It would also be desirable to enable the simple touch scrolling on this Alps touchpad. I have tried the two finger scrolling solution, the control is simply non existent. Please, all who can offer anything constructive at all, come forth with it as it would benefit as all!

hello mac girl can you explain me step by step how to fix the sound in my xps 1330.

I installed leopard iarkos it work fine and i installed the nvidia driver but for the sound i dont understand what do you mean by "DELETE AppleAzalia.kext (it wil block AppleHDA to wok propperly," and what i have to do with the zip file STAC9228_0x83847616.zip.

Its my first time on mac os so in dont now how to install drivers on this system.

For the nvidia its was easy with the installer but for the sound how to proceed? thanks a lot for your help god bless you!!!

Sorry for my english i'am french

i'm very happy with mac os ont the xps 1330 because the mac book dont have led screen so now i have the perfect mac book lol

AppleAzalia.kexts is driver for soundcards, but it conflicts with some Sigmatel cards, since we are using a patched AppleHDA.kext is better to have only AppleHDA.kext alone, if you leave AppleAzalia.kext a sound device will appear in the Sound Pane in System Preferneces but it doesn't work.

Steps to have sound on M1330

Choose AppleHDA patcher or AppleHDA.kext patched

-If you choose to run the patcher you will need a codec dump, that is explained in the AppleHDA subforum in the thread "FAQ and Rules", but no matter what you do you end win soun only from Headphones Jack 1, the dump file need to be dorpped on the AppleHDA patcher Application, reboot, that's all.

-If You choose already patched kext, download it uncompres it and copy the kexts (AppleHDA and ALCInject) to the Extensions folder (change permissions and ownership) if you don't know how to do it you better use Kext Helper B7, after that erase /System/Library/Extensions.mkext, probably it wont work in the first boot, so try some more.

Should I use the Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 patch or should I follow netkas' instructions (the ones found on the first page under "if u have vanilla 10.5.1) i guess i shouldnt since i have modified 10.5.1? is there anything i need to do before or after the kalyway patch so it doesnt KP on me (well, in general im saying)?

Kalyway moded update is fine.

@Theanine: thanks for your words. :(

Anyway, I consider that the Intel 3945ABG/4965AGN is a big effort, but in my opinnion is better to have a card that is already used in real Macs, fortunately Dell carry several models of Broadcom Based cards and most of them work out of the box.

also macgirl:

after installing the kalyway 10.5.2 update, as well as the kalyway 10.5.2 kernel, should i install netkas' 9.2 speedstep with shutdown fix kernel to get speedstep working?

also, do i need to mess with smbios.kext at anytime?

i will use the PCwiz kernel installer: http://######.com/index.php?option=...8&Itemid=48

is that OK, or should i do it manually (please direct me).

thank you so much for your invaluable assistance macgirl.

also macgirl:

after installing the kalyway 10.5.2 update, as well as the kalyway 10.5.2 kernel, should i install netkas' 9.2 speedstep with shutdown fix kernel to get speedstep working?

also, do i need to mess with smbios.kext at anytime?

i will use the PCwiz kernel installer: http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=...8&Itemid=48

is that OK, or should i do it manually (please direct me).

thank you so much for your invaluable assistance macgirl.

To obtain SpeedStep yes you need to install any of the Netkas kernel marked as speedstep, some are marked as sleep, and the better version is 9.2.2 if you already installed Time Machine Update, if not stay with kernel 9.2

~pcwiz kernel isntaller is a very good idea, use it

To obtain SpeedStep yes you need to install any of the Netkas kernel marked as speedstep, some are marked as sleep, and the better version is 9.2.2 if you already installed Time Machine Update, if not stay with kernel 9.2

~pcwiz kernel isntaller is a very good idea, use it

im getting KP, appleintelcpumanagement.kext; it hangs at Kernel version: darwin kernel... system model name: m1530

then nothing else.

i installed fresh iatkos 1.0ir2, then straight away to kalyway combo update, then kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update

then use pcwiz to install mach_kernel of netkas 9.2 speedstep with shutdown fix.

happened twice already. im doing something obviously wrong.

according to netkas' instructions, im going to try rm -rf appleintelcpumanagement.kext before i reboot after installation of the netkas 9.2 kernel.

I got a dell wireless card off of ebay (the 1490), but I cannot figure out where it goes on my M1330. Does it go where the remote control thing is? That bay is kind of deep. How do i actually plug it in there? Also, if this card is in, does that mean the remote is left without a home? I really like that slot for the remote, but I guess I would lose it if wireless internet in Leopard were at stake.

ETA: I have also noticed that my Vista boot time has slowed significantly in my dual boot configuration. Is this a normal experience people have or will I be able to get my Vista boot time back down even with Leopard still on the same hard drive.

I got a dell wireless card off of ebay (the 1490), but I cannot figure out where it goes on my M1330. Does it go where the remote control thing is? That bay is kind of deep. How do i actually plug it in there? Also, if this card is in, does that mean the remote is left without a home? I really like that slot for the remote, but I guess I would lose it if wireless internet in Leopard were at stake.

ETA: I have also noticed that my Vista boot time has slowed significantly in my dual boot configuration. Is this a normal experience people have or will I be able to get my Vista boot time back down even with Leopard still on the same hard drive.

Read the user manual of your laptop, there's a section in there show how to change the wireless card. The card go to a slot at the bottom of your laptop called mini pci slot, you have to take the cover out, and install the card to the wwan slot or take out the old wlan card and replace it with the 1490. You can have both the cards installed but it's a little more complicated to manage in windows vista