Home server? Leopard Server on PC?

46 posts in this topic

dColumbus: Use a DVD by Zephyroth for AMD then download those packages for server...

Can you post the exact place or at least include what needs to be done to install these infamous "server packages"? When I think of "packages" I think of a ZIP, DMG, EXE, etc. Is it as simple as that? Or...

Is this the right one to download:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...p;sk=t&sd=a

that's your base, then you need the server stuff. go up a couple of posts of mine and see how i did it to get a working server install (in your case instead of starting with kalyway, you start with zephyroth).

i'm just waiting to figure out how to get to 10.5.2 server without messing up my install. and yes, in my case i used the 6 gig leopard server install disc to install the packages.

Alright,

I have been able to get through the installation of Leopard, but when it restarts for the first time, it just hangs at the Apple Logo... so, I decided to select "SSE3" as for the next installation try, and this time it hangs at the Apple Logo and then restarts my computer... it will do that over and over again. Now, I've been reading about EFI all over the place. Do I need to install EFI manuall? If so, how do I install EFI for a GUID partition?

I'm so close, yet so far.

Update:

I've seriously tried everything... I've tried to install Leopard acording to so many procedures found on this website and I get one of these results every single time:

1) Installs fine, after first reboot it hangs at Apple Logo loading...

1) Installs fine, after first reboot it hangs at bios screen with a blinking cursor...

1) Installs fine, after first reboot it hangs at Apple Logo and eventually shows a little circle with a line through it above the Apple Logo...

I'm about ready to give up, but I REALLY want this to work. Does anyone know the solution to any of these issues?

Right now this is my system:

Motherboard: ASUS AN8 SLI Deluxe

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939

Memory: 2 Gigs of Corsair

note: I also have and AMD Athlon 64 3500+, but I haven't bothered to use it because I had this other one installed. If that makes a difference...

when you're booting make sure you're pressing f8 to get to the boot options. when you go to the boot options type in -v to get to verbose mode. then read the output to see where the process is hanging.

I do nothing BUT -v, or -v -x, etc... It says all kinds of things. Is there not just a "perfect" way of installing this? I mean, I've been on the forums for two straight days and nothing works. I've burned at normal speed, slow speed, installed on IDE, SATA, given the drive "active" status, and today I even replaced the Extensions directory on the drive. There's no way that my machine just happens to be retarded. I've NEVER had a problem installing Leopard, it has ALWAYS installed without a hitch, I've just never been able to get past it's first reboot. I've never been able to set up an account...

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're all talking about installing Leopard on your "Windows" PC like it's nothing. CAN you even install Leopard on your "Windows" PC? If so, how?

;) sorry, I saw this so late.

So "Windows" PC... there are "Unix" PC or non "Windows" PC ?

btw I have a "DOS" PC :D

;) sorry, I saw this so late.

So "Windows" PC... there are "Unix" PC or non "Windows" PC ?

btw I have a "DOS" PC ;)

Easy there... technically a Apple made computer is still a "PC"... It's just a general wording, since Windows is the most popular platform. :P

OT: use Freebsd, it's the perfect server system

Yeah, except for the fact that there's no UI that makes any sense. Besides, who has the time (beyond trying to bloody install OS X) to learn something completely new? If you can give me solid reasons that would out weigh Server 2003 or Leopard Server, I'd love to hear 'em...

I do nothing BUT -v, or -v -x, etc... It says all kinds of things. Is there not just a "perfect" way of installing this? I mean, I've been on the forums for two straight days and nothing works. I've burned at normal speed, slow speed, installed on IDE, SATA, given the drive "active" status, and today I even replaced the Extensions directory on the drive. There's no way that my machine just happens to be retarded. I've NEVER had a problem installing Leopard, it has ALWAYS installed without a hitch, I've just never been able to get past it's first reboot. I've never been able to set up an account...

3 things come to mind: have you tried installing it on another machine, then popping the hard drive into the box in question? also have you tried different ports as far as the SATA go? and then have you tried installing it to a hard drive that is hooked up via USB?

also for anyone that is reading this thread, I ended up getting the 10.5.2 server combo update installed using Devin's method. i must have typed something incorrectly earlier.

• 1 month later...

I really need some help. I guess this is an old thread, but I can not for the life of me find the "Leopard Server Packages" Just the actual dvd's. Can someone help me? can they be pulled off the DVD? or where can I find them?

• 4 weeks later...
I really need some help. I guess this is an old thread, but I can not for the life of me find the "Leopard Server Packages" Just the actual dvd's. Can someone help me? can they be pulled off the DVD? or where can I find them?

Same question with a bump ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...