To hackintosh or not to hackintosh

thespottedelf

11 posts in this topic

as of right now i'm planning on building a hackintosh next fall (with my summer money

I don't know :D about hacking....

I have linux running, but that is freakishly easy, compared to what i've been reading.

So here are the issues.

1. I want to dual boot into xp 32 bit.

2. I want to keep this as cheap as possible

3. I would like this to be a very stable.

4. Longevity, I would like to to be turned into a network attached storage devise. (by hooking a bunch of external hds to it)

Thats all i can think of at the moment.I've been looking at this (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75863&st=0) guide on how to install using the the board i have selected. So i was wondering if i were to use that if i could install the 32 bit xp b/c they are talking about 64 bit vista.and here is the wish list i have made about this, http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishli...tNumber=5169445

just was reading this and was wondering if it that easy, and wondered if that was pose dual booting problams.

If you don't plan on buying until next fall might as well wait before deciding on parts.

Support, availability, price can all change dramatically by then. (By then a Core2 will probably be just as cheap (or cheaper) than that Pentium D on your wishlist)

They are talking about 64 bit XP because they are installing using GUID partitions.

No matter what hardware you choose you can always use MBR partitions and install 32 bit Windows to your hearts content. :D

hm.... so would sp3 be out by then? and what would be some guides that i could read to get an idea on how to do this?

i did bring into account that each month the pricing will be changing, i'm thinking that i might be able to get a decent hackintosh for about 500 then add a lcd for around 700. that is my plan at least.

Well what OS is very stable, they all have their drawbacks and problems. Just give it a try, if you do not like it or it is not stable enough then delete it and use windows. I used Vista for about 6 month and found that I was having to restart my computer a lot, in XP I hardly ever had to restart it. With Linux, some programs did not work as well as other or at all. With Leopard there are a few applications that I can not use but I would never use them if I could. So take the plunge and give it try. You may find that you really enjoy using Leopard and maybe even buy a real Mac.

well i know that i love osx (i've grown up on apples my whole life) but i want my own computer. But i do not have to money to buy a mac book pro (which is what i'd have to get to make it worth it) A friend of mine built a mac, and i thought i'd try man hand at it, thinking i could always use windows or linux.

so would anyone know of some install guides i could read

I'd not be comfortable attempting to use a Hackintosh as any kind of real "production" box since there's bound to be some hardware that won't work right and you're never sure whether that next update will work.

If you absolutely *MUST* have OS X for a machine you intend to use regularly, buy a Mac. You say you've grown up on Apples, so you must have resources for finding a Mac you can afford.

In no particular order of your criteria:

3. Stability: For a list of stable motherboards, check this link:

http://######.com/blog/?p=32

I'd add to that list the Intel DG965WH; I successfully installed Kalyway, with no problems, and everything working. (However, you need to buy a video card -- the onboard video is not recognized -- so add about $60 for a 7600GT card.)

1. Dual booting: here is a simple trick: use two hdd's; install XP; install OS X afterwards, and the Darwin boot loader will "see" a foreign partition when you boot and choose F8 for options; click on that, you get an error message, and immediately afterwards, XP.

2 Cheap: pick a 945 chipset mobo (again, see link above)

4 Longevity: ah, this conflicts with "cheap", since low cost = last generation architecture, and many limitations. So, my $0.02 would be the Intel 965 chipset, /not/ the 945.

I am not very fond of hardware and software as you guys probably are.

What I can say is that, feeling me too the will to have a mac, I bought this pc -as a Ready one- (see signature), for almost 740$ at the beginning of september, and I really never regretted: everything works fine and speedely (altough the processor is suddenly recognized as a 1.79 Ghz).

I don' t know exactly which the situation is for Us market as to the spread you can find between a Mac and a common pc cost but, unfortunately, here in Italy, it is relevant.

So, in my opinion, except if you forecast an intense or specific usage, I think a pretty well set hackintosh will be more than appropriate..

I'd not be comfortable attempting to use a Hackintosh as any kind of real "production" box since there's bound to be some hardware that won't work right and you're never sure whether that next update will work.

If you absolutely *MUST* have OS X for a machine you intend to use regularly, buy a Mac. You say you've grown up on Apples, so you must have resources for finding a Mac you can afford.

i don't think i'll be using this as a "production box".... really idk what you got that from. The thing i'll mainly use this for is daily stuff email, itunes, and web browsing. And i'll prolly boot into windows to take my online schooling stuff, and an occasional game.

Really i think a hackintosh would be great for this, and also i like the idea of being able to update it. Eventually i'll even swap out the mother board and start over just updating oen thing at a time. (or so i hope, but most plans don't work out the way we want...)

and the reason i'm doing this is because i can't afford to by a decent mac, i'd have to get a imac g5, and i really want something intel, and i want to be able to geek out at night with my hackintosh lol.

after reading the link that was provided...

i found the motherboard i already chose to be on there (the p35 series) the problems that were stated don't really matter to me. And i'm interested in maybe a little ocing... but i havn't decided yet.

I'm getting excited, but now i have to do the boring part of saving money.

I have an Asus p5k-E wifi delux mother board, with a core2duo, kalyway supported it perfect (except for my wireless which isn't a big deal to me, i am wired) i also have an ati xt1950 graphics card which was supported on the disk, install was perfect, sleep/shutdown work, sound, ;lan, etc even used apple update as well. This mobo supports core2duo and quad core