ATI South Bridge Solved!! (ATI IXP) ATI x200 xpress chipset

scousi

154 posts in this topic

Just wanted to update...I updated the Bios on the laptop and the CPU/Memory speeds picked up dramatically. I think the laptop was downclocking (power save) or something.

20 seconds or so to boot up and my total system xbench is around 55!

What are we working on next, audio or VGA? :D

Audio Codec question

On windows XP SB 400 use realtek ALC655 Ac 97 codec.

VIA southbridge aslo use ALC655 AC 97 codec.

Darwin has VIA AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext

Is there way to rewrite AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext to support SB400 ?

I'm looking into that. The ATI SB400 and Via linux ALSA drivers were both written by the same person. So there seems to be some similarities.

Hello All,

Can I add the ati fix ppf to the newest 10.4.4 myz.iso image? I tried and I get a bin/check error using ppf-o-matic3. When I tried to install anyways (native)I get an immediate kernal panic (0x00399ca3 "unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI". Any ideas? Also I'm a little confised by the iso. Is the kernal already patched or am I supposed to use the files in the maxxuss patch solution folder to patch kernal?

Thanks for your help

I used the myzar DVD and upgraded in VMWare. Then I removed the AppleGeneric kext (which I think is inside the IOATAFamily.kext) and put scousi's .kext into the IOATAFamily.kext.

I'm all up to date, for now.

BTW, I think I tried everything and CANNOT get the ATI drivers to work. So if you have dev id 5955 for video, save yourself the trouble. I think it's a shared memory issue...the drivers don't know how to address it. Contrary to what most people say, the 5955 IS based on x300, but with shared memory.

I did essentially the same thing on a HP ZV6000. I move AppleGenericPCATA.kext and AppleOnboardPCATA.kext out of IOATAFamily.kext, moved the caches somewhere inane, just in case, and rebooted. It seems to detect the card and the disk, but then stops right after that.

The last line I see is:

BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 3

Which looks a lot to me like it can read the disk and partition information, but then just stops. I'm not sure if it's getting that data from GRUB, or if it's actually reading the disk, but my experience with unix suggests the latter.

I've included a screenshot to see if that helps. Sorry about the quality, it's an elderly cameraphone.

Update: I edited the system with a Knoppix CD to see if there was anything I was missing, and now the system says:

jnl: journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x2737e69 ; s 0x438000 e 0x438000)

Which is suspect it's reading off the drive, meaning something is happening before it freezes.

Further Update: The problem actually seems to lie in the PS2 keyboard support. Removing it allowed 10.4.5 to boot.

post-15271-1141752743_thumb.jpg