ATI South Bridge Solved!! (ATI IXP) ATI x200 xpress chipset

scousi

154 posts in this topic

My problem in getting booted at all was in a conflict between PS2 & USB, too, but my performance was horrible without this fix from scousi. Removing the PS2 ext will let you boot, but it works better for me to remove IOUSBFamily.kext instead, so that I can use my trackpad/keyboard. If your BIOS allows, you can disable USB legacy instead.

IOUSBFamily.kext contains a lot. One of the PlugIns is the problem, but I don't know which. I think it's one or more of the following:

>Edit: It's AppleUSBOHCI.kext

I'll experiment more, but it's quite a pain if I happen to stick in the right one and have no mouse/kb. I'm getting a lot of strange problems from hard poweroff in 10.4.5

>Edit: also, some strange behavior:

If I start up with my usb mouse attached, it won't boot, even without IOUSBFamily.kext installed. But, if I boot with it detached and attach it after it boots, the usb mouse works, but it's choppy.

My problem in getting booted at all was in a conflict between PS2 & USB, too, but my performance was horrible without this fix from scousi. Removing the PS2 ext will let you boot, but it works better for me to remove IOUSBFamily.kext instead, so that I can use my trackpad/keyboard. If your BIOS allows, you can disable USB legacy instead.

I tried installing it with the IOUSBFamily stuff removed, but it still broke. I imagine it coule be a USB legacy thing, but my BIOS does not appear to let me disable it. I'll continue playing with it. Without the scousi fix, my laptop won't boot at all, so kudos there.

dimbulb, i assume you deleted Extensions.kextcache and .mkext and fixed ownership/permissions?

AppleUSBOHCI.kext conflicts with ApplePS2Controller.kext on my system. If I remove AppleUSBOHCI.kext from IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns , I can use my ps2 keyboard and trackpad, as well as external usb devices such as hard/flashdrives

I did delete the appropriate caches and such, yes. I followed your advice and killed off AppleUSBOHCI.kext and tried it again. Low and behold, things are working now, thank you very much.

I tried a portable hard drive I have and it did work, but then I tried my external mouse, and that did not work (which I suspected, since that's part of with the OHCI stuff does.).

I suspect from searching around Linux installation for the laptop that USB legacy support is forced on in the bios, or something similarly strange. If we could fix that, then we might get full USB support back. I'll keep playing around with it.

I've got a fix.

Just for the heck of it, I moved the OHCI kext to somewhere outside of the tree and then loaded it up:

kextload -t AppleUSBOHCI.kext

And after doing all possible checks, it loaded. Then suddenly, my external mouse, bluetooth dongle, and USB microphone started working. So I suppose all I need to do is figure out where in the launch process I can add this command, and then I'll have that all taken care of.

You can add it in /etc/rc

After the kextd line.

if [ "${SafeBoot}" = "-x" ]; then

echo "Configuring kernel extensions for safe boot"

touch /private/tmp/.SafeBoot

kextd -x

else

echo "Configuring kernel extensions"

kextd

kextload -v AppleUSBOHCI.kext

fi

By putting it there, you'll still be able, in case of problem, to restart with -x (safe mode).

But before doing this, try to type this in the terminal and restart :

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

You can add it in /etc/rc

After the kextd line.

By putting it there, you'll still be able, in case of problem, to restart with -x (safe mode).

But before doing this, try to type this in the terminal and restart :

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

I ran the kextcache update like you said, and nothing good or bad happened, so I added the kextload line to /etc/rc (I should have guessed, really) and everything is hunky-dory.

I made a directory "/usr/local/kext" and dropped it in there.

Alright thanks to everyone's help I've now got OSX 10.4.5 running on my Hp ze2000. As with others in the thread I had to disable APPLEUSBOHCI.kext to get it to boot natively. Both my dvd drive and HD are connected via ata and for some reason it seems like my hd read speed is capped at 2mb when transfering files. Xbench says is more, but 2mb is as fast as it goes for file transfer. Has anyone with an ata drive been able to go faster?

Cheers

@ Dimbulb :

I forgot the path, the good command line to add the kext in rc is :

kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBOHCI.kext

you don't need to move AppleUSBOHCI.kext from the Extensions folder.

well, loading the AppleUSBOHCI.kext certainly got USB working completely, but it killed my keyboard/trackpad. i'm leaving it out until i can resolve the conflict.

this is all I get in system.log:

Mar 9 12:13:06 n-fs-computer kernel[0]: USBF: 517.660 AppleUSBOHCI[0x2ab6800]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Mar 9 12:13:06 n-fs-computer kernel[0]: USBF: 517.664 AppleUSBOHCI[0x2ab5000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

hey just a random idea..........

since there are so many compaq/hp model users that want ot run osx, would it be possible for someone with a good clean working install to ghost the partition and post it on usenet or torrent?? i mean look how many people own these cheap beasts thanks to black friday wallmart deals....

that is, if anone is up for such a procedure.... :pirate2:

so-- as per the presario v2000 (and i think all presarios on x200 chipset) i understand:

scousi manhandled the ATA controller

wifi is easily fixed

sound is being worked on by EdFlyer (according to this thread)

USB doesn't work concurrently with PS2

there are no solutions for widescreen resolution

is anybody actively working on those last two? A partition image is a good idea, I think, but probably not worth it til we could make an image with all of these basic issues solved. It's pretty simple to get as far as anyone here's gotten using the existing partition backup for Intel, if you search the forum you'll find I wrote out the steps for doing this in another thread.

OK on my Ferrari 4005, with 10.4.5, the ATI x200 stuff works great, but I also had to remove the AppleUSBOHCI.kext in order to resolve the conflict with PS2/USB.

Most things work, but without that USB driver, things like the built-in Bluetooth do not work. Loading the USB driver separately, Bluetooth works, but kills my keyboard/trackpad, forcing me to use a USB keyboard. I can live without Bluetooth for the moment.

HOWEVER, i still need to delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext after each boot, otherwise next reboot the machine hangs unless I boot into safe mode. :thumbsup_anim:

Is there any way to automate the deletion of these two files after boot? Maybe creating them as zero-byte read-only files would prevent them being recreated? Would this work? Is there any other solutions? I'm using 10.4.5 install. I have access to 10.4.3 Extensions.

what do you all think about establishing a bounty for this project? Coders like scousi tend to be awful busy, wouldn't it be nice if we had a few hundred dollars to reward their efforts? not to mention it'll probably get done a lot faster.... Something like 25% for sound, 25% for USB/PS2, and 50% for graphics drivers? I don't want to nominate myself to accept everyone's paypal donations as that'd be kind of fishy, but if some other reputed poster wanted to host the bounty, I know I'd be in for at least $10 or $20. Whaddya guys say?

what do you all think about establishing a bounty for this project? Coders like scousi tend to be awful busy, wouldn't it be nice if we had a few hundred dollars to reward their efforts? not to mention it'll probably get done a lot faster.... Something like 25% for sound, 25% for USB/PS2, and 50% for graphics drivers? I don't want to nominate myself to accept everyone's paypal donations as that'd be kind of fishy, but if some other reputed poster wanted to host the bounty, I know I'd be in for at least $10 or $20. Whaddya guys say?

LOL!

Thanks for the thought. Money won't buy me more time. Besides, I don't need the extra pressure for delivering something once money is involved. As you can see from the reward to be able to boot XP on Mac H/W project, it as made teamwork disappear.

My personal opinion is that this project rose from a community effort. Some people who have very little knowledge of computers came up with solutions that were overlooked from experienced people. This project has probably made the members who had never touched a Mac before, better experts than most Mac users.

How often do you see a Mac user open a terminal window! I actually think that parallel efforts in not the most efficient but is the best way to attain a solution to a problem.

Of course, I don't speak for everyone who may find this idea to be a good one. I've got nothing against money! In fact I like It!

scousi is right - the dual boot for macbooks has killed the collaboration. this whole business is an enthusiasts domain, and in 2-3 days i've learnt more through trial and error on my ferrarimac than most mac owners will ever know about their operating system!

scousi btw - do you know about this issue meaning i have to delete my kext cache each boot? any way to automate with a script? or is it an issue with 10.4.5 drivers? if you have working kexts maybe i could try those? (PM/email)?

thanks! oh and thanks to digicide for the solution to my wifi. I got a working core system now, i can experiment with sound etc over time...

...do you know about this issue meaning i have to delete my kext cache each boot?

i had this same problem before because i neglected to disable a .kext. so make sure you move this file(s) in your disabled extensions directory.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGenericPCATA.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGenericPCATA.kext

delete both:

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

then rebuild kextcache:

cd /System/Library/

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

hope that helps.

Hey thanks for the suggestion - but I tried this and it didn't work - 10.4.5

in IOATAFamily I have:

AppleIntelPIIXATA

AppleOnboardPCATA

IOATABlockStorage

IOATAPIProtocolTransport

I did a search for all 'ATA' strings, and no AppleGenericPCATA seems to exist on my system.

I tried removing the AppleOnboardPCATA, cleared caches, but then it wouldn't boot at all.... so i replaced that file and it's fine again (MacDrive)

Maybe this is an issue with the 10.4.5 drivers? Which install/kext are you using for your Southbridge?

I have an asus pundit barebone, with Asus P4R8L motherboard.

Had the same problem with slow hdd, the chipset (according to google) is ATI RS300/IXP200.

Device id for ata controller was 4349 instead of 4376, so i downloaded Xcode, dowloaded the source code for the AppleOnboard ata, followed the instructions and compiled a new kext, and it worked!

Never thought this would be so easy!!

I have an asus pundit barebone, with Asus P4R8L motherboard.

Had the same problem with slow hdd, the chipset (according to google) is ATI RS300/IXP200.

Device id for ata controller was 4349 instead of 4376, so i downloaded Xcode, dowloaded the source code for the AppleOnboard ata, followed the instructions and compiled a new kext, and it worked!

Never thought this would be so easy!!

Use this line instead if you want UDMA-5. It MAY give you a performance boost.

{ 0x43761002, 0x00, 5, "ATI IXP" }