ATI South Bridge Solved!! (ATI IXP) ATI x200 xpress chipset

scousi

154 posts in this topic

one quick question, i haven't been able to find an answer by searching. after applying the kext for this it all works fine after rebooting, a lot faster. but when i restart again it stops working and i get the waiting for root device message. it works again after reapplying the kext but still the same thing happens the second time i reboot. any ideas?

thanks

one quick question, i haven't been able to find an answer by searching. after applying the kext for this it all works fine after rebooting, a lot faster. but when i restart again it stops working and i get the waiting for root device message. it works again after reapplying the kext but still the same thing happens the second time i reboot. any ideas?

thanks

I have the exact same problem. Ideas anyone?

the patch need to be modified with *0x*43761002 and not 43761002. Your kextcache and mKext are probably corrupted. Need to be rebuild... start by deleted the the kextcache only and fix the patch from XP or Lnx and then reboot

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an HP Media Center PC with the same chipset x200. It is an SATA problem; however, I noticed that my motherboard in my HP had both ATA and SATA spots. I added an extra 80gig drive that I had laying around and plugged it into one of the slots. I then booted off the "OSX" cd and I would set the platform=X86PC (no other options) and wait. I could then install to the ATA drive I added, but I could not see any of the SATA drives (no sata drivers). I then added the chain0 booter onto my SATA XP partition and made sure that drive was set to primary. Now I can boot and select from windows OSX.

I am very impressed with the progress that you all have made with this somewhat obscure chipset. I have a HP desktop with the ATI Xpress 200, but I have had less luck than the others. I would appreciate if you guys could glance over my configuration and let me know what I'm missing here.

Hardware:

HP Pavilion A1330E

AMD64 Venice 3500+ (SSE3, NX, PAE etc)

Motherboard: ASUS A8AE-LE (aka AmberineM-GL6E)

ATI Xpress 200 chipset

Northbridge: RS482

Southbridge: SB400

(MB Specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...name=c00496280)

I installed macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.iso with 1111a.Generic.Patch.v4.2b, installed in VMWare to an a primary partition on an IDE hard drive. (Machine also has SATA)

I can boot in VMWare and the system is usable.

When I boot natively, I get a kernel panic. "Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI"

This message is the same when I boot with platform=X86PC -v

I have tried the following:

Installation of scousi's much appreciated AppleOnboardPCATA.kext, although I haven't yet run into problems with "waiting for root device"

Switching to the unpatched kernel (I have SSE3, NX, PAE, etc)

Booting with options off in BIOS (SATA controller, USB, Firewire, Sound, Ethernet)

Booting to single user mode

Removing all PCI cards from the system (TV capture, PCI-E graphics)

I get the same message. If it would be helpful, I'll take a digital of the screen and post.

Let me know if anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks!

m

the patch need to be modified with *0x*43761002 and not 43761002. Your kextcache and mKext are probably corrupted. Need to be rebuild... start by deleted the the kextcache only and fix the patch from XP or Lnx and then reboot

Hope this helps!

I actually got of my lazy ass and edited the original post.

I actually got of my lazy ass and edited the original post.

Thanks Scousi,

My MX6421(Gateway) working great with 10.4.5 except video and sound which needs more time.

Any news for 200m video driver?

I have a Toshiba M45-S169.

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Chipset

ATI MOBILITY RADEON X200M

I downloaded and applied both of the patches and still can't seem to get anywhere. Can someone take a look at the error's I'm getting and let me know what I'm doing wrong and how to go about it the right way?

Here's a link to the picture..

osx86error

Ok, I've got a Presario M2000, turion ml-34. Is there any way I could get a bootable DVD that works on this just fine? What patches would I need to apply to this dvd? Sorry, I'm really confused. Thanks.

The ppf1 patch to the jas 10.4.6 dvd has the ati fix.

alternately, if you like old 10.4.3, there is a ppf that adds ati ata driver to the dvd as well..

Sorry, I feel loke a total noob, but what is the ppf(1) patch and how do I apply it to my dvd? My dvd is a patched dvd from the "marklar tiger" image, and when I try to boot it it gives me kernel panics.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've got a fix.

Just for the heck of it, I moved the OHCI kext to somewhere outside of the tree and then loaded it up:

kextload -t AppleUSBOHCI.kext

You can add it in /etc/rc

After the kextd line.

if [ "${SafeBoot}" = "-x" ]; then

echo "Configuring kernel extensions for safe boot"

touch /private/tmp/.SafeBoot

kextd -x

else

echo "Configuring kernel extensions"

kextd

kextload -v AppleUSBOHCI.kext

fi

By putting it there, you'll still be able, in case of problem, to restart with -x (safe mode).

But before doing this, try to type this in the terminal and restart :

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Hi, I finally got OS X to boot after removing AppleUSBOHCI.kext, but now I'm stuck without USB. I read that dimbulb and ViaOSX got it working, but I'm a mac noob and I don't quite understand those UNIX commands. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could write a step by step on how to get USB working.

• 1 month later...

The command to do so is kextcache -m Extensions.mkext -l /System/Library/Extensions. This will generate the file we want.

so if I del my cache and mkext and enabling it to boot into osx and issue that command would that solve my problem sense I already have the OS installed?

Yeah after reading another 400 forum pages I found out how stupid of a question that was I asked... I am going to try the ppf1 patch for 10.4.6 disc. I hope that works cause if I use 10.4.7 SSE3 isn't enabled and wlan doesn't work, ethernet but it does find the ata driver for my laptop. So I redid 10.4.6 and tried a few more options the 4 times it did boot into OSX everything was working great.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

hey guys,

my specs are:

motherboard: MSI 09AC

chipset: ati xpress 200 (RS480)

LPCIO: SMSC

AMD Sempron 3000+

1024MB DDR RAM

my problem is: I can't manage to install a native mac OS, tried many versions and distros, installation is too slow, and estimated finishing time is appr. 20 hours.

I saw a post in a forum, that RS480 is fully incompatible with Mac

my question is,

is there any chance that this x200 fix can fix my problem?

if so how do I patch my mac DVD,

if not, what do you suggest other than changing the motherboard.

Thanks.

I've Posted my trouble many times at this board, however still there is no solution. The sympthoms are similar to satch_yt's one.

Distro: Leo4all, Leo4allv2 (Leopard 10.5.2)

I've made some test. Below are results

1. Using AppleGenericPCATA.kext (I've taken this kext from some tiger threads whre guys improved ATA issues):

HDD works slowly, but continuously, without gaps, pauses, only slow. Similar to inactivated DMA mode.

2. Using AppleOnboardPCATA or AppleVIAATA:

Read\write operations are fast as should be, however there are a lot of long pauses between processing data portions. That's why using both 1. and 2. produces the same result: ~3 hours installation takes, 15-30 minutes for boot, 10-15 minutes for shutdown.

Still need any help. And new idea, possibly this caused not by IDE Controller, but some other device?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Magicum/satch_yt,

Did you installation work? I forgot what distro i use, but it was 10.5.2. If you can disable usb legacy mode in you bios, the installation will be fast.

my system is acer 5023 notebook, same chipset as yours. but one thing that need to do after installation is to put appleonboardpcata.kext inside system/library/extensions. somehow the installer doesn't install it. if this not done it will give an error when booting and just halted there.

The only thing that i'm still looking for is the driver for the x600 display to enable qe/ci. everthing else works fine... even my nokia 6120 phone modem works!