114 posts in this topic

Mac Pro

• Based off the Penryn chipset

• Dual 2.8 GHz Penryn Xeons standard

• 2GB of RAM standard

• 320GB HDD standard

• NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Graphics standard

• Blu-Ray build-to-order option for an extra $400

These upgrades are quite plausible. They would make the Mac Pro more desirable. But not desirable enough for me, since I can build an extremely powerful hackintosh for less than €2500, and that would include a better GPU, more RAM, 2 or 3 hard drives...

maybe...

"new notebook docking station modeled after its all-in-one iMac desktop computer, where a notebook computer would be inserted into the side of the iMac-like chassis, essentially morphing it into a streamlined desktop system while docked"

see more here

85lek43.jpg

6k4oyli.jpg

I would like to say one thing about all those people posting articles on speculation with no absolute evidence that they are to be true:

A good lie is easier to believe than the truth.

The 42" giant iMac rumor has been around for years. In fact it was around last year as well. I suppose if someone keeps predicting the same thing they are bound to get it right one of these days. But then I'd hardly call that they predicted it if it comes out.

And for possible patents, how often does Apple use one of the things it patents? Most of the time it's so that a company has a large patent portfolio. And if they do use it, it is years off before they use it.

Here is what I think has possible proof behind the rumors:

1. The keynote that was leaked. That was either true, partially true, or a decoy.

2. The macbook nano pictures that surfaced.

maybe...

"new notebook docking station modeled after its all-in-one iMac desktop computer, where a notebook computer would be inserted into the side of the iMac-like chassis, essentially morphing it into a streamlined desktop system while docked"

see more here

85lek43.jpg

6k4oyli.jpg

What in the hell?....

It's ALL {censored}. If any of those products in that supposedly leaked transcript is realised, then it's pure coincidence.

I felt this way BEFORE the new 8 core Mac Pro was released, and now I am even more convinced.

I also just bought a mbp but wanted for school and wasnt going to wait until febuary this machine is plenty powerful and if the newer model is great then I will opt to sell this machine on ebay in the summer and get a new one without losing much of an investment considering their resale value is much higher than one would think.

Smaller Mac never get faster procs or faster graphics, so yes it is a matter of Look than Performance.

I suppose I like my computer to be worth purchasing and do something new compared to my old one. Like my latest one can play back 1080p stuff where as my old one could only play back 720p stuff.

I would like to say I'd rather Apple go behind hd dvd. The reason being is the following:

1. Cheaper to make.

2. Same quality because of the h.264 codec. You don't need 50 GB of space to get good quality 1080p HD video. 30 GB will do just fine.

3. Playback devices are cheaper.

4. No BD+ copy protection.

5. No region based copy protection. It's as if it's one big region instead, which makes a lot more sense. I can buy any hddvd movie in the world and it'll work everywhere.

6. The player hardware have been standardized from the beginning in terms of its profile. Unlike bluray which has profile 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 etc. So that means people who bought their first bluray player at the very beginning won't have all those features but those who bought the very first hddvd player will have all this support through at the most firmware upgrades.

I use to be a supporter of bluray. But I've changed my mind about it. And now want HDDVD to win. But of course I won't be buying either one of them until there is a settled winner.

Blu-Ray discs are 25GB. HD-DVD are 15GB.
I was referring to dual layered discs actually.
HDDVD is dead. period. besides, Apple will never do anything HD-DVD related. afterall, Apple is on the Blu-Ray Board
What do you like about bluray then? And you do know that intel is on the hddvd board right? And apple uses intel chips.