Pentium 4 +Leopard

hachidan

14 posts in this topic

Hi i have look at many different guides and tried alot of defferent install type. From iAtkos to Kalyway...and each one of them i get the boot loop were are so farmiliar with. I just look at the perfect installation guide and was about to try when I saw these words "EFI will not work properly on anything less than DuoCore like a P4" so I was wondering IF super genious got leopard to install on a P4...please i would like to learn how.

hay thx for the reply mind to share alittle light of how...like which version..BrazilMAc, iAtkos, ToH, Kalyway or any others... and anything extra needed associated with each.

I have a EM64T Prescott P4. It will run both BrazilMac and iAtkos, preferrably the later. I used the BrazilMac's kexts, Netkas No-hpet 2fix kernel, variable IONetworking family fixes, NVinject 1.3 standard and AppleBCM5751 to enable QE/CI and networking, also with the later build there aren't problems with wifi. I have Tiger on one drive and Leopard on another. Tiger comes in handy afterwards to change the permission on certain system applications so that they will run. Apple will be fixing the permissions problems on the 10.5.2 update, later this month. ToH just would not do what I needed it to, but it also installed. It's just your preference really. I've never been able to use my onboard sound and I've been running OSXx86 for almost 2 years. I use a SB Live 24-bit External USB, and with the iAtkos build I had sound out of the box. EFI would not work at the time I last installed, believe me I tried everything. I used to iAtkos Darwin Bootloader option as well as Gparted and even tried the Kalaway boot install cd. The only way that I could install a bootloader was to actually put it in manually.

I'm sharing this because I've successfully installed all three and it took forever on the last, so I found my major weaknesses. Maybe this will help you or someone else. If you get a blinking curser, rebuild the bootloader manually through the terminal on another install disk besides the original install DVD. If you get a kernel panic on the first boot, remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. If you get the most horrible mDNS error or whatever the heck it is, remove all your video drivers -- reboot and you should get in, but remember to press f8 at the beginning and type -v -legacy. You can always go back in and change the com.apple.boot.plist file after to reflect the kernel flags. After you have booted for the first time then put in the Graphics drivers. I have the GeForce 7300GT, so I used the NVinject standard 1.3 and have everything working well. I have the Broadcom 5751 ethernet card, hince the BCM5751.kext... Leopard itself is very sensitive on the first boot, so make sure you have only the BrazilMacs kexts and kernel added before, then the graphics and networking after.

I am in the process of uploading what I used. I will repost with the link.

Cheers! :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/81101873/P4_EM...kernel.zip.html

• 3 weeks later...
Same boot loop problem here with Prescott 3.0, P4c800-e and Kalyway 10.5.1 sse2, sse3

Should I check the SSE2 only box in custom install?

No, I wouldn't check anything. Install it as is and then download the package I've provided above and follow the directions from there. Make sure you go in a delete all the NVidia and GeForce Kexts this is the problem. You can always add them back when you get it booted for the first time. Cheers,

JackieO

I managed to get BrazilMac's 9a581 Leopard build working on my socket 478 P4 3.2 GHz, P4C-800 Deluxe setup. Haven't tried EFI though. I'm thinking it probably won't work with these specs. Anyway, the first time I installed Leopard, I set it up on an empty partition. I could get it to boot and working pretty much well but only if I boot to the BrazilMac install DVD first. Following the guides for GUID installations, I installed Tiger first. During the Tiger install, I used Musashi's skge.kext for my onboard 3c901 LAN and Bofor's Dual Natit version 2 for my GF6200 video card. Those were the only modifications I made to Tiger.

I proceeded to install Leopard a second time still using the BrazilMac DVD and followed the instructions, albeit with a few modifications. I didn't copy all the kexts from the Patcher file for BrazilMac installations. At first I included NVInject but this caused Leo to crash at boot up. I decided to delete NVInject and everything went fine, QE and CI out of the box. LAN, Audio and USB were all working well. I'm also dual booting Leo with WinXP using XP's boot manager using Chain0, although dual booting was already working with the Tiger install.

Somehow, USB 2.0 performance seems a little bit slower than XP's although I've already tried the PCGen IOUSBFamily fix. I haven't tried updating it to 10.5.1 yet. I installed Paragon's NTFS program and it worked like a charm. I think NTFS performance is pretty much close to real-life Windows NTFS performance. I do find that Parallels works a little bit faster and more stable under Leo although it might just be because I'm running the latest Parallels version. Lately I've been experiencing a delay with the shutdown process. When I shut down, the video and hard drive would turn off but it would take a while before the computer itself powers off. Before this I played around with AppleSMBIOS.kext (in a bid to find solutions for Adobe CS3 problems, which I wasn't able to solve). I installed version 1.0.12 but reverted to the vanilla 1.0.1.

I do find my Leo install to be very stable, even better than Tiger.

Before this I played around with AppleSMBIOS.kext (in a bid to find solutions for Adobe CS3 problems, which I wasn't able to solve). I installed version 1.0.12 but reverted to the vanilla 1.0.1.

I do find my Leo install to be very stable, even better than Tiger.

I myself had the same problems with the AppleSMBIOS,kext and Adobe's CS3 package, but I also had a very unstable build at first. After I replaced the SMBIOS (link provided below), it really didn't do much for my system, but after I reinstalled with this SMBIOS everything works wonderfully. I also dual booted with both Vista and XP at different times. Now I'm running the latest Parallels as well and Vista is really working well. It's very slow, but Vista in itself is slow. Leopard although is truly 64bit speed, just what our processor has been hungry for since it's creation. Try the SMBIOS and it will be 10 times faster, but try it with a new build.

Cheers,

JackieO

AppleSMBIOS.kext

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MFA94G86

I've been quite successfully running iATKOS 10.5.1 on my Dell 8400. It sits next to my Mac Pro, and the speed is quite reasonable, considering that it's such an old computer. I've got a 3Ghz P4 Prescott with SSE3 - everything worked out of the box with the exception of the on-board ethernet. I bought an $8 Encore Gigabit ethernet card and this puppy flies!

• 11 months later...

I managed to use Kalyway 10.5.2 on Mobo Foxconn P4M800 with Prescott P4 3.06 GHz which is SSE 2 and 3 compatible.

I had problems with on-board sound, so I disable it in BIOS and add PCI soundboard with CMI chip, which works beautifully.

Later I update it with Combo Update to 10.5.6 with Pre and PostUpdate Patches.

The only problem I have is with my old Lexmark 3300 series printer, where I can`t use software for Tiger, which cames with CD. On Kaylway`s DVD there is no printer drivers for Lexmark, which are on original Leopard DVD (around 320 MB).

Otherwise I am running a very stable system and I am quite pleased with it :)