[HowTo]: Fix for "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers."

THE0

45 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: This is my first howto, so it may be lacking in polish. I'm totally open to any suggestions, questions, criticisms, and ideas for improvements.

The Problem: Getting stuck at the line "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" while trying to boot an osx86 installation or an osx86 disk.

The Solution: The Fix is twofold:

-Using older ACPI and APIC kexts from the JaS 10.4.8 PPF1 & PPF2 Installation Disk

-Disabling FireWire Kexts

Background: Here was my situation -

MS-1719:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7700

NVidia Geforce Go 8600 GT

2x1GB DDR2 PC5400 RAM

200GB SATA HD on ICH8M

Mat{censored}a DVD-RW DL

Ever since I purchased a MS-1719 whitebook laptop, I could not get it to boot osx86. I would always get stuck at "using 10485.." while booting an osx86 installation disk. While I could initially use VMWare to at least install OS X to my hard drive, the problem persisted. After months of pulling my hair out, I found out a way around it.

What I had found was that I could not boot any osx86 installation disk, including any leopard disk, except for the JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & PPF2, with the cpus=1 -x -f -v boot parameters. After some research, I found that the difference was that all the ACPI and APIC kexts on the JaS disk worked with the BIOS on my laptop. So what I did was I unpacked the kexts from the Extensions.mkext on the JaS disk, put them in place of corresponding leopard kexts.

At this point I thought surely this hack would work, but I still got stuck at "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers." After some more research, I found that people were getting stuck at "using 10485 buffer headers and..." because of an issue with the FireWire kexts. On the JaS disk, when I booted with the -x safe boot parameter, I noticed it did not load the FireWire kexts on startup. So I removed the FireWire kexts from the Extensions folder on my Leopard drive and put them elsewhere for backup purposes.

Next I rebooted and used the cpus=1 -v parameters (did not need to use the safe boot parameter) and to my surprise, Mac OS X Leopard booted successfully! From there it was just a few little hacks to get sound and other hardware working.

Now for the howto to get osx86 working for you...

I have tested it and have concluded that this process will work for BOTH Tiger and Leopard. This howto mainly concerns Leopard, but the info is also relevant to Tiger.

OPTION 1: Using an already installed version of osx86 (installed via VMWare, from a flat install image, installed from another computer, etc.)

REQUIREMENTS:

A. An already installed version of osx86

B. Another operating system or computer that you can use to access and modify files on a HFS+/HFS+ Journaled Filesystem (depending on what you chose to initially partition the disk as)

--EASIEST METHOD: A working installation of Windows with MacDrive 7 -OR-

--Using Linux (from a live CD or installation) and setting up HFS+ read/write support (the filesystem CANNOT be Journaled for this to work from Linux) I can explain how to do this as well if requested -OR-

--Booting up with the JaS 10.4.8 osx86 Installation Disk, with boot parameters: cpus=1 -x -v -f. From here you can will have to use Terminal. Use this method ONLY if you know what you are doing!

--Another computer running Mac OS X and somehow connecting the osx86 drive to it

C. The JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts.zip file that contains the needed kexts, provided below, or you can manually extract the kexts from the Extensions.mkext on the Jas 10.4.8 PPF1 & PPF2 disk if you have that disk laying around

STEPS:

1. Somehow install osx86 to your hard drive.

2. Now using your installation of Windows with MacDrive, Linux, Mac OS X, etc., navigate to the osx86 disk.

3. Go to:

/System/Library/Extensions/

4. Backup your original ACPI and APIC kexts. Rename the kexts to kext-vanilla to disable them (this will preserve them if you find out later that you want to use them):

AppleACPIPlatform.kext  >  AppleACPIPlatform.kext-vanilla

AppleAPIC.kext >  AppleAPIC.kext-vanilla

Depending on your installation, there may be other AppleACPI*...kexts. Following the example above, back them up so that they can be replaced.

5. Extract the JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts.zip to /System/Library/Extensions/

The included files are:

AppleACPIButtons.kext
AppleACPIEC.kext
AppleACPILPC.kext
AppleACPIPCI.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleAPIC.kext

6. Disable the FireWire kexts: This may not be required for all computers. I found that without doing this, I would still get stuck at "using 10485..." but it may be different depending on your hardware. Disable them anyway so that when you boot up into osx86 later, you can easily enable them if your case is different.

The FireWire kexts are also located in /System/Library/Extensions. Rename the kexts to kext-vanilla to disable them (this will preserve them if you find out later that you want to use them):

IOFireWireAVC.kext > IOFireWireAVC.kext-vanilla

IOFireWireFamily.kext > IOFireWireFamily.kext-vanilla

IOFireWireIP.kext > IOFireWireIP.kext-vanilla

IOFireWireSBP2.kext > IOFireWireSBP2.kext-vanilla

IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext > IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext-vanilla

7. Depending on your osx86 installation, you may need to disable the AppleEFIRuntime.kext. I have found that not all osx86 installations include this kext, but with the ones that I have tried that do, this specific kext has given me a kernel panic on startup. I recommend that you disable it now, and later re-enable it if you find that you need it or if it won't give you a kernel panic on your hardware. Rename the kext to kext-vanilla to disable it (this will preserve the kext if you find out later that you want to use it):

AppleEFIRuntime.kext > AppleEFIRuntime.kext-vanilla

8. Remove kext caches by deleting them:

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions/Caches

/System/Library/Caches

9. Depending on how you modified your osx86 drive, you now have to put it to the test. If the drive is in the computer that you will be your hackintosh, simply reboot. If you have the drive somehow attached to another computer for editing, put it back in the destination hackintosh.

10. Boot into osx86. Before it loads, press F8. This is where you can add boot parameters. On my hardware I needed to use the boot parameters (without quotes) "cpus=1 -v -f". It is possible with some computers that you will not have to use the cpus=1 parameter. I strongly recommend using -v because it will allow you to boot into verbose mode so that you can see what it going on in the background and see if the fix worked. I also recommend that you use the -f parameter because it will force osx86 to load all kexts instead of loading them from a cached location.

11. If all goes well, you should have a properly booting installation of osx86. From here you can experiment with FireWire kexts. I have found some of the Tiger FireWire kexts will not cause me to get stuck at "using 10485..." but they have given me kernel panics. Once I can pinpoint what exact FireWire kext or setting is at fault, I'll update this howto. If you know or find out, I'd be extremely grateful if you passed the info onto me so that I can share it.

I have verified that you can use the ACPI and APIC kexts with the vanilla kernel, via PC EFI. Other than the FireWire kexts, if you can use PC EFI, each time you install a Mac OS X version update, you will have to backup the ACPI and APIC kexts and then after the update disable the FireWire kexts again and restore the needed ACPI and APIC kexts.

If the instructions above are too confusing, did not work for you, or if you'd rather try another approach, there are two more options below that will achieve the same results.

OPTION 2: Try the Kalyway 10.5.1 Install Disk

After downloading and testing the new Kalyway 10.5.1 Disk, to my surprise, I found that the disk boot successfully. First download and try this image yourself - you may be surprised. If you are still experiencing the problems, I can still upload the iATKOS disk image that I patched myself. Try OPTION 3 if you can, though.

OPTION 3: Patching an existing OSX86 installation disk or the original retail 9a581 Leopard installation DVD

SYNOPSIS:

This method may be more practical than OPTION 2 or even OPTION 1, depending on your situation and especially if you already have downloaded an OSX86 installation disk or have an original Mac OS X Leopard installation DVD. For this how to, I will cover how to patch the iATKOS 1.0i Leopard disk. Other disks, such as the Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard disk can also be patched.

However, ironically you will need to have at least a working installation of Mac OS X Tiger. You have a genuine mac or another working hackintosh, I would recommend using this option. Even if you get osx86 working with OPTION 1, it is still nice having a patched disk that will work for your specific hackintosh later for debugging purposes or for easy re-installation.

**Note: These instructions closely follow BrazilMac's howto: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008. Thanks, BrazilMac, for your versatile script and your instructions.

REQUIREMENTS:

-The original BrazilMac patch, http://rapidshare.com/files/66668407/Brazi...-Patch.zip.html

-A disk image of the retail OS X installation disk -OR- osx86 installation disk you want to patch

-A working installation of Mac OS X to make the patched image on

STEPS:

1. Use Disk Utility to make a compressed DMG image of the installation disk (if you don't already have an image of the disk on your computer).

2. Put the image on your Desktop and rename it osx-leopard105.dmg

3. Extract the BrazilMac zip file on your desktop; PLACE ALL THE CONTENTS ON YOUR DESKTOP (2 PATCH FILES AND 3 FOLDERS)

4. Double click the 9a581-patch.sh file on your desktop to open it up in TextEdit. If not, just right click it and select Open with > Textedit.

5. Now, look for the line where it says: DMG="/Users/XXX/Desktop/osx-leopard105.dmg". Make sure you change XXX with your username. This path points to the image located on your Desktop!

6. Unlike BrazilMac's original instructions, DO NOT close the patch file yet, even if you are patching an original retail Leopard disk.

7. If you are NOT patching an original Leopard disk, rather you are patching the iATKOS v1.0i disk or the Kalyway disk (or any 10.4.8 or above Tiger disk, for that matter), you must follow the next two steps. Otherwise, move onto Step 9.

In the 9a581-patch.sh file in TextEdit, take a look at the line "echo Renaming image to osx86dvd..."

If you are using a osx86 install disk, you will have to change the command "diskutil rename /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/ osx86dvd" accordingly. For example, the name of the iATKOS 1.0i disk is "iATKOS v1.0i". Therefore I would need to change the command to look like the following:

echo Renaming image to osx86dvd...
diskutil rename /Volumes/iATKOS\ v1.0i/ osx86dvd

It will look different if you are using a different install disk, say, the "uphuck 1.4i" disk.

8. If you are patching the iATKOS v1.0i disk, you will need to heavily modify the 9a581-patch.sh script, more so than you would need to if you are using an original disk image. This is due to the fact that the original iATKOS disk loads the needed kexts from an Extensions.mkext file and does not have an "Extensions" directory on the disk and that it already includes almost all of the hacked files needed to install Mac OS X on a PC. I do not know if the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD also packs the kexts in a Extensions.mkext cache file, but it is so with some of the osx86 Tiger DVDs. You will need to investigate if this applies to your situation before you move on.

Because the iATKOS 1.0i DVD has the kexts compressed into an Extensions.mkext file on the DVD, it does not have enough room for all the needed kexts uncompressed in an "Extensions" folder on the disk. If you view how much space is available on the original iATKOS 1.0i disk, it is only 5.9 MB. You can either create a Extensions.mkext file with the ACPI and APIC kexts that I've provided plus all other necessary kexts and have the FireWire and AppleEFIRuntime kexts not included, but you will have to use Terminal and the "kextcache" command to do so. I initially tried to do this, but my Extensions.mkext file was too large and the "kextcache" command would refuse create a mkext file beyond a certain size. Instead, I opted to manually add an Extensions folder filled with the needed kexts to the new image once the it was created.

If you follow my method, you will have to comment out quite a few lines from the 9a581 script. If you are patching the iATKOS 1.0i disk, you will want your script to look similar to the following:

***NOTE: Be careful! Because of some sort of formatting issue, you can't just copy and paste the script I made below. You'll have to manually make the changes that I made. Otherwise, the script may not work correctly.

****For your convenience, I uploaded the edited patch file that I used to create my hacked disc. Please make changes accordingly if you decide to use the zipped patch file I have provided at the bottom of the page.

#!/bin/sh

APDIR=/Users/XXX/Desktop
DMG="/Users/XXX/Desktop/osx-leopard105.dmg"

cpfix () 
{
cp -r ./files/$1 $2
chown -R root:wheel $2
chmod -R 755 $2
}

cd $APDIR

echo Converting DMG to editable image...
hdiutil convert $DMG -format UDTO -o $APDIR/leopard.iso

echo Mounting new ISO read-write...
hdiutil attach -readwrite $APDIR/leopard.iso.cdr -owners on

echo Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...
sleep 5

echo Renaming image to osx86dvd...
diskutil rename /Volumes/iATKOS\ v1.0i/ osx86dvd

##### Remove old files #####

#echo Removing Xcode Tools...
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/Optional\ Installs/Xcode\ Tools/

#echo Removing X11user and 6 languages files...
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/X11user.pkg
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/Dutch.pkg
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/Danish.pkg
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/Finnish.pkg
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/Polish.pkg
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/Russian.pkg
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/Swedish.pkg

#echo Removing minibless...
#rm -rf "/Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless"

#echo Removing printer packages...
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/*Printer*

#echo Removing OSInstall...
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

#echo Removing Kernel files...
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach_kernel
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach.sys

#echo Removing Boot-related things...
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/usr/standalone/i386
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/usr/sbin/bless
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

echo Removing Extensions...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIA.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext

#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext

#echo Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
#rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ossmgr.plist

##### Adding necessary files #####

#echo Replacing minibless...
#cp files/minibless "/Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless"
#chown root:wheel "/Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless"
#chmod 755 "/Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless"

#echo Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...
#cpfix OSInstall.mpkg /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

#echo Replacing boot-related files...
#cpfix i386 /Volumes/osx86dvd/usr/standalone/i386
#cpfix bless /Volumes/osx86dvd/usr/sbin/bless

#echo Replacing Kernel...
#cpfix mach_kernel /Volumes/osx86dvd/mach_kernel

#echo Replacing extensions...
#for kext in `ls files/Extensions`; do
#cpfix Extensions/$kext /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/
#done

#echo Editing IOATAFamily.kext Info.plist, ICH2-ICH6 ATA Fix
#cpfix Info.plist /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

echo ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!

echo Creating bootable DVD in 10 seconds...
echo You might want to CTRL-Z and inspect /Volumes/osx86dev now.
sleep 10

##### Generate Bootable ISO #####

MKISOFS="$APDIR"/resources/mkisofs
VOLNAME="osx86dvd"
MKSIOFS_QUIET=
HDIUTIL_QUIET=
I386ISO=/tmp/i386booter.iso
MASTERCD="$APDIR"/leopard.iso
MSTRCDMNTD=/Volumes/osx86dvd/
# This gives you a DVD-R sized disc image
SIZE="2700M"
# The following can be anywhere you like its the the output image
CDDMG="$APDIR"/Leo_Patched_DVD

mkdir -p /tmp/i386
cp $MSTRCDMNTD/usr/standalone/i386/* /tmp/i386/
cd /tmp/i386
"$MKISOFS" -V "$VOLNAME" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -c boot.cat -b cdboot $MKISOFS_QUIET -o "$I386ISO" .

sectors=`du "$I386ISO" | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'`

echo Creating a bootable image and remove any previous copies...
cd "$MSTRCDMNTD"
if [ -f "$CDDMG" -o -f "$CDDMG".dmg ]; then
	rm -f "$CDDMG" "$CDDMG".dmg
fi
hdiutil create $HDIUTIL_QUIET "$CDDMG".dmg -size $SIZE -layout NONE
dev=`hdid -nomount "$CDDMG".dmg | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'`
rdev=`echo $dev | sed s/disk/rdisk/`

pdisk $rdev -initialize
blocks=`pdisk $rdev -dump | grep 2: | awk -F" " '{print $4}'`
if [ "$QUIET" == "" ]; then
	pdisk $rdev -dump
fi

echo Creating partition on the image...
pdisk $rdev -createPartition "$VOLNAME" Apple_HFS $sectors `expr $blocks - $sectors`
# Figure out what slice the partition was created on
slice=`pdisk $rdev -dump | grep "$VOLNAME" | awk -F: '{print $1}' | awk -F" " '{print $1}'`

echo Copying data onto the image...
dd if="$I386ISO" of=$rdev skip=64 seek=64 bs=512
newfs_hfs -v "$VOLNAME" ${rdev}s${slice}
mkdir -p /mnt
mount -t hfs -o perm ${dev}s${slice} /mnt

echo DITTOING...
ditto -rsrc "$MSTRCDMNTD" /mnt

echo BLESSING...
bless -folder /mnt/System/Library/CoreServices -bootinfo /mnt/usr/standalone/i386/boot -label "$VOLNAME"
umount /mnt
hdiutil eject $HDIUTIL_QUIET $dev
cd /tmp/

echo Update prebinding...
update_prebinding -root /Volumes/osx86dvd -force

echo Renaming  to original image name...
diskutil rename /Volumes/osx86dvd iATKOS\ v1.0i
hdiutil eject /Volumes/iATKOS\ v1.0i

echo Renaming image to actual extension type...
mv "$CDDMG".dmg "$CDDMG".iso
hdiutil mount "$CDDMG".iso -readwrite -owners on

#echo Removing tempdisk and useless dirs...
#rm -rf "$APDIR"/leopard.iso.cdr
#rm -rf /mnt

echo
echo ALL Done !!

Take some time to thoroughly look over the changes I made to the script. If you look closely, you will notice some very important changes I have made. First of all, with the "#" I commented out or disabled the commands and lines that I did not want the script to execute. This is because the iATKOS 1.0i disk already includes all of this stuff. If you look closely, you will notice that I left the lines

echo Removing Extensions...
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

uncommented so that they would be executed. This is because you want to remove the original Extensions.mkext cache from the iATKOS disk.

Also, notice that I changed the following line:

# This gives you a DVD-R sized disc image
SIZE="2700M"

Since the iATKOS 1.0i disk is around 2600MB, I wanted about 100 MB for the Extensions or any other changes I wanted to make to the iATKOS disk. With the Kalyway or other osx86, this number will need to be changed accordingly.

Notice the changes I made at the very end of the script.

echo Renaming  to original image name...
diskutil rename /Volumes/osx86dvd Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD
hdiutil eject /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD

echo Renaming image to actual extension type...
mv "$CDDMG".dmg "$CDDMG".iso
hdiutil mount "$CDDMG".iso -readwrite -owners on

#rm -rf /mnt

I made sure that the image would be renamed to the original "iATKOS v1.0i". You name it whatever you want, but be sure to make those changes accordingly. Also, I commented out the commands to remove the original disk image on the Desktop. I recommend that you comment out these lines so that if you messed up somewhere or one of the script requirements is off (like the disk image not being renamed correctly), the script won't remove your original disk image. This way you can go back to your script and double check it and make changes and try again.

Double check that you've made all the needed changes.

If you have,

- Now open up a Terminal. It can be found under Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

- In the terminal, type "sudo -s" and then enter your password.

- Type "cd Desktop" in the Terminal and press enter.

- Next type ./9a581-patch.sh

- Now the SCRIPT WILL EXECUTE! Be patient, and like BrazilMac originally said, "it will take a bit of time." While it is patching, pay attention to any error messages in the Terminal. NOTE: PREBINDING ERRORS ARE ALRIGHT IF YOU GET THEM WITH THE SCRIPT.

- If and when the patch completes successfully, you will see a Leo_Patched_DVD.iso image file on your Desktop. The size should be close to the size that you specifically entered in the script. For the iATKOS 1.0i disk, it was about 2700 MB. It's okay if it is a bit more or less. It it is off by a huge amount (like 800MB or more), that could indicate the script did not work correctly. You'll have to backtrack and find out what the problem is and try again, if this is the case. In any case, leave the Terminal window open.

Now you can add the Extensions to the disk. You can either using the Extensions folder from the Leopard-Patched-Extensions.zip file I've linked to,

http://rapidshare.com/files/79334122/Leopa...-Extensions.zip -OR-

http://www.mediafire.com/?cfb2wgtjm29

which includes the JaS ACPI and APIC kexts plus the FireWire and AppleEFIRuntime kexts removed. However, if you already have a working installation of the same version of osx86 running somewhere, you can take the kexts from that installation, inject the JaS ACPI and APIC kexts, remove the FireWire and AppleEFIRuntime kexts, and you'll have a working Extensions folder that you can then copy to your new installation disk image. Either way, extract or copy the Extensions folder to the Desktop.

Now you actually need to copy this Extensions folder to the disk image. You need to mount the Leo_Patched_DVD.iso by running a command that was actually taken directly from the script. In Terminal type:

hdiutil attach -readwrite Leo_Patched_DVD.iso -owners on

Depending on what you named your disk image, it will mount somewhere under /Volumes. In my case, I left it named iATKOS v1.0i so the command that I needed to use to copy the Extensions folder to the disk image was:

cp -R Extensions /Volumes/iATKOS\ v1.0i/System/Library/

That's it! All necessary changes have been made. You must now unmount the patched disk by dragging its respective icon to the Trash or by typing in Terminal

disktutil unmount /Volumes/iATKOS\ v1.0i

Again, please note the changes to the commands that would need to be made if you were not patching an iATKOS disk.

From here, you can now burn the disk image, using Disk Utility or any other burning program of your preference to finally burn the patched disk to a blank single layer DVD.

If you have used these instructions, move now onto STEP 10: Install and post-patch.

9. This step is ONLY required if you are patching an original retail leopard disk. If you are patching a osx86 disk, you should have used STEP 8.

-Leave the 9a581-patch.sh document open.

-Extract the JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts.zip to the Desktop.

-Open up the directory: files > Extensions. The "files" folder should be on the Desktop with the rest of the BrazilMac patch files. Delete the "AppleACPIPlatform" kext that is in that folder.

-Copy the extracted JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts from the Desktop to the files > Extensions folder. By doing this, the script will automatically copy all the kexts in this folder to the new disk image.

-Go back to the 9a581-patch.sh document. Make the following changes:

On new lines, after "echo Removing Extensions...", add the following commands:

rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireAVC.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireIP.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireSBP2.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext

This will cause the AppleEFIRuntime, which can cause a kernel panic, and the FireWire Kexts to be removed. This way you will be able to boot and install osx86 once the new image is created.

I also recommend that you comment out the following lines that are towards the bottom of the script:

#rm -rf /mnt

If you do so, this will make the script not remove the original disk image that is on your Desktop. This can be helpful so that if you accidentally forgot a change to add to the script or if somehow the script does not succeed, it will not remove the original image and you'll be able to double check and try again.

Double check that you've made all the needed changes.

If you have,

- Now open up a Terminal. It can be found under Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

- In the terminal, type "sudo -s" and then enter your password.

- Type "cd Desktop" in the Terminal and press enter.

- Next type ./9a581-patch.sh

- Now the SCRIPT WILL EXECUTE! Be patient, and like BrazilMac originally said, "it will take a bit of time." While it is patching, pay attention any error messages in the Terminal. NOTE: PREBINDING ERRORS ARE ALRIGHT IF YOU GET THEM WITH THE SCRIPT

- If and when the patch completes successfully, you will see a Leo_Patched_DVD.iso image file on your Desktop. The size should be 4,698,669,056 bytes. It's okay if it is a bit more or less. It it is off by a huge amount, that could indicate the script did not work correctly. You'll have to backtrack and find out what the problem is and try again, if this is the case.

If it seems the size of the image is fine, you can now burn the iso image to a blank single layer DVD using Disk Utility or any burning program of your preference. Once you have burned it, move onto STEP 10: Install and Post-patch.

10. Install and Post-patch:

Before you go on, if you are using a patched retail disk, you will need to copy the BrazilMac patch files to some sort of external medium, like a USB flash drive. If you are using a patched iATKOS or some other osx86 disk, you do not need to use the BrazilMac patch. With either disk, however, you need to copy the JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts to the flash drive to use later.

Insert the burned patched osx86 disk into the target hackintosh. Make sure that the PC is set to boot from the disk.

While the disk loads, before it starts loading the kexts, press F8. Here you will can enter some boot parameters. For my computer, I needed cpus=1 -v -f. I strongly recommend that you enter the -v -f parameters, but the cpus=1 parameter is not needed on all hardware. If the computer automatically restarts after loading all of the kexts, you may need to have the cpus=1 parameter. You can also use the -x if you are having any other problems.

Anyways, if the disk boots successfully to the osx86 installation setup, go head with the install. I won't go into detail here since it is covered in so many other place on this forum.

Whether you patched an osx86 disk or patched a retail disk, after the installation completes, you must restart and BOOT BACK TO THE OSX86 installation disk, but remember to plug in the flash drive that you had prepared earlier into the computer. Now you must perform the post-patch operations.

With a patched retail disk image, you will have to execute the post-patch script that BrazilMac made. The instructions for this script is available at: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008. If you are using a patched iATKOS or other already patched osx86 installation disk, like the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk, DO NOT run the BrazilMac post-patch. You can modify the BrazilMac post-patch to automatically add the JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts to the destination drive, if you are using a retail disk.

Either way, whether you are using the a patched retail or patched osx86 disk, once you get to the osx86 install setup, go to the tools menu above and open the Terminal. Type "df" into the Terminal. It will show you all of the mounted filesystems. Note your drive name of your target disk (it might be named something like Leopard) and the name of your flash drive (it might be mounted as Untitled),

Copy the JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger Kexts to the target disk:

cd /Volumes/<name of your flash drive>/<the name of the folder where you put the JaS-ACPI-APIC-Tiger-Kexts>/

##Backup the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext
mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext-vanilla

cp -rf * /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/

Now you have to disable, but backup, the AppleEFIRuntime and the FireWire kexts:

mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext-vanilla
mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireAVC.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireAVC.kext-vanilla
mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext-vanilla
mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireIP.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireIP.kext-vanilla
mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireSBP2.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireSBP2.kext-vanilla
mv /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext /Volumes/<name of your osx86 target partition>/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext-vanilla

Notice that all I did to backup the original kexts was add -vanilla to the end of the filename of each kext. You can use something different or just move the kexts somewhere else, but that is up to you.

From here you should now have all the necessary changes done and once you restart, you should be able to boot Mac OS X successfully. Again, when you are restarting, before the kexts load, press F8 and enter any necessary boot parameters, like cpus=1 -v -f. If you still cannot not boot startup successfully, you may just be missing a hardware driver or an another hack outside the scope of this howto might need to be made. In any case, at least now you have a customized osx86 install disk that will work specifically for your hackintosh!

THE END

I truly hope this howto will help people and will save them the stress and pulled out hair I experienced coming up with a solution after months of research and trial and error. Thank you again, BrazilMac, for your amazingly helpful script and instructions, which have definitely made my life a whole lot easier! I am now running Mac OS X Leopard with all of my hardware (except FireWire) supported and functioning smoothly!

Thanks and credit goes out to the creator of "The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread" : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...fficial+asus+f3. Without those instructions and insight, I would not have never arrived at the solution I am at now. Though, I think Asus F3 Series notebook users may be able to benefit greatly from this howto. :(

Also, if it you have success, please let us know by posting on this thread. Including hardware specs will help greatly in diagnosing which computers this howto will benefit. If you get stuck, please post where you got stuck or any problems you experienced so that I or other people might be able to help you. If it is a mistake on my part, it will help me make the proper revisions.

Again, any comments, suggestions, corrections, or any additional info on how to improve this howto would be warmly and gratefully appreciated. Thanks osx86 community!

Theo

JaS_ACPI_APIC_Tiger_Kexts.zip

9a581_patch.sh.zip

You're right about not being able to simply copy and paste the script I posted. I'm not sure why, but I'll make sure I add it to the instructions.

had some more trouble :P

turns out that the disk I was doing it on (well, the virtual disk) only had 3gb free space

enough for one copy

VMware wouldnt let me make the disk any bigger for some reason, so I made another virtual disk, and tried to edit the script to it would save it there

get the feeling it will have gone horribly wrong.

oh well, I'll just have to try again and make sure i use a big enough disk this time

shame it takes so damn long to run the script. took an hour 20 mins to convert the dmg ;)

But good howto

Theo,

What's it gonna take to get a copy of your patched iATKOS 1.0 image?

I'm also using a whitebox MSI laptop with no FireWire ports and I think I'm experiencing the same problem as you....

...but I don't have the patience (or skill set) to try manually patching the iATKOS media.

thanks,

Jonathan0411

Works for me with kalyway, but after I reboot for the first time, the system "updates the caches" and I'm back to square one....

Any suggestions? Re-removing the caches works, but... as soon as reboot occurs... there we are again...

I posted a thread about this as well in the main page...

Thank you.

Works for me with kalyway, but after I reboot for the first time, the system "updates the caches" and I'm back to square one....

Any suggestions? Re-removing the caches works, but... as soon as reboot occurs... there we are again...

I posted a thread about this as well in the main page...

Thank you.

Have you tried booting with the -f boot option?

My problem is a bit special... I Had a good install of Kalway 10.5.1. Booted and everything was fine. Actually got it working twice. I didn't get my audio to work. so I started to messaround with the setting on the mac, and it suddely didnt work anymore. So I made another install. But now all stops at with the grey background and the apple sign. I tired Vanilla (didnt work) -x (didnt work) -f (didnt work). -s (works!!) -v hangs on using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers.

while booting -x and -v I get alot !!!! of loading extensions but cant figure out what they say, it goes to fast.

Since the installation worked before I'll hardly think its nesseary to repatch the DVD.... and I dont have the machinepark to have 2 fully working macs:=)

I installed macnub 10.4.10 DVD and it worked once, but that was oneTimeExperience. it just suddenly died on me.

Cheers

Gunnar

Im running z61m 7200HD, Audio Soundmax, Intel pro 3945 wireless, ATI x1400 Radeon.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tutorial, I think I'm almost there to a working OSX install.

I installed ok and it asked me to restart, which I did.

Now it's stuck on "using 10485 buffer...."

I followed your guide using solution 1 but it still hangs at the buffer message.

I'm pretty sure I followed it correctly, but there was one step that I couldn't do exactly:

8. Remove kext caches by deleting them:

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions/Caches

/System/Library/Caches

I only managed to delete the underlined ones as the others didn't exist (which I'd imagine is a good thing) Are the other caches hidden or anything?

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks in advance for any help you maybe able to offer.

Ok I got it sorted and now OSX boots (but now it hangs at setting up the internet connection! from one problem to another! haha)

The problem was... the first time around I used my brothers mac to replace/rename the kexts.

It's pretty old and I dunno what version of OSX it is but it seemed to name them wrong!

Anyway I installed MacDrive on my XP drive and it turns out all my kexts were renamed to:

blah1.kext-vanilla.kext

blah2.kext-vanilla.kext

Changing this to blah1.vanilla and so on worked and OSX booted.

Thanks for the guide btw :)

Now to find the solution to my next problem!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling this would help me as well, but I'm on linux, and it's a real PITA to get the brazilmac patches properly working, as I would have to either modify the shell script extensively, or do it manually, assuming it will even mount fine with RW.

An ISO upload would be very appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys i got good news for u!--leopard runs!!!

i got a ms-1719 laptop with core2duo 7100 (2x1.8), geforce 8600m gt and 2 gb ram

this is the way i installed it:

First of all i got a kalyway 10.5.1 dvd.

booted it - pressed f8

entered "-v cpus=1" (if this doesn't work try "-x" or "-s" or "-f" ..i tried it several times! you have to use "cpus=1"!!!)http://forum.insanelymac.com/style_emoticons/default/wink_anim.gif

apple screen- apple install screen

opened the "Utility" and then "Disc utility"

erased my whole disk

partitioned it to 1 partition

closed disc utility

back to installation

just click u through the installation until there is the button "costum" in the left corner of installation window

I INSTALLED:

vanilla: both

and

the first bootloader.

i skipped the dvd check.

if this installation won't work try it again.

AFTER INSTALLATION:

i opened my dvd drive to be sure it will boot from hdd on restart.

first i didn't press anything when leopard booted and it failed...so it reboots.

i pressed a key..when it is said right at the beginning of the boot

and entered "cpus=1"

LEOPARD BOOTED AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE

the only thing you have to do is getting a driver for the 8600m gt.

i took "NVInstallerV.31.pkg". i know there is already a 4.1 editon but in some blogs people said it wouln't work that fine!

so i installed it and rebootet and got my resolution of 1440x900.

the only problem i still have is, that i have to enter "cpus=1" when booting

you could search your bios for: "EXECUTE DISABLE BIT" and enable it..this is what i found in forums but i can't unfortunately change this in my bios

does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem? (i'm running single core only http://forum.insanelymac.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif )

thx..have fun..i hope it works on your 1719 as well as on mine

i'm having this problem for quite some time.....the only mac os x86 that got pass this was leo4all v2......even the almighty jas 10.4.8 didn't know how to handle it....now leo4all works....but it does have some problems like QE and CI that i couldn't fix for my video card.now i was thinking if i could copy the files that make leo work fine and patch them over the jas image.....i own an amd system that uses the mcp 65 chipset......if anybody can give me some advice i'l definitely apreciate it........

• 4 months later...