GUIDE: Want to Install iATKOS on GUID Partition... Heres HOW

00diabolic

28 posts in this topic

Ok so here goes I figured this out through multiple hours of testing with iATKOS.

1. Partition your drive in GUID.

2. Then run I_am me's script on your target drive (or input commands when you boot from the DVD). Follow his guide if you have questions about it. You can get his script from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B6T0BXHQ

3. Then make sure your partition is active by doing the following (not always needed, seems to be required when installing on USB HD's):

In terminal, type the following:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (X in my diskXsY disk ID was 0) [enter]

update [enter]

f 2 [enter]

w [enter]

(type 'Y' to reboot when queried) [enter]

q [enter]

reboot

4. Darwin bootloader script is NOT needed. It is part of I_am me's script, so you do not need to do this before install.

5. Then install iATKOS on the drive.

Reboot and youl have iATKOS Running on GUID. So there you go the impossible is possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also wanted to figure out how to remove the label in about this mac for iATKOS.

HERE IS HOW YOU DO THAT

This requires a edit of the 'AboutThisMac.strings' file. You can use textedit. Must have hidden files showing, you can do that with onyx. Here's how to edit the file:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

Right click and click "Show Package Contents" on loginwindow.app

Once inside loginwindow.app, go to /Contents/Resources/MacOSX.tif

Replace:

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/MacOSX.tif

With this file (default one): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=19158

You can find the rest of the edits uphuck team made in this file:

Edit /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist Edit with txt edit. Change to default or whatever you want.

To change the CPU Name. It says Core 2 Duo for most of us even though thats not always correct. Heres how to fix that:

Once inside loginwindow.app, go to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj

You should see a file called "AboutThisMac.strings" inside English.lproj

Drag a copy to your desktop and open it up with TextEdit

Depending on weather you have a single or dual processor, scroll down to one of the following lines of code:

Single CPU here:

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

For multiple CPU look here:

"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

Change the %@ to whatever you want your new CPU to be.

Now Replace the loginwindow.app with the version with you edited, repair permissions and you're done. You may need to reboot to see all of the changes.

Fix for Internal Drives appearing as External Drives: This requires some terminal work.

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

password enter

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

THERE YOU GO.. a TOTALY VIRGIN INSTALL

Ok I knew this would be all up to me. Alright trying to get iATKOS on GUID seems to be harder then I thought. The concept seems right but I must be missing something.

Here is what I tried so far.

Partitioned Drive with GUID partition scheme. Ran EFI.sh from I_am me. Which makes drive bootable and installs PC_EFI 8.0. Then ran darwin bootloader on iATKOS DVD and installed. This failed at blinking cursor.

So then I tried another way by reversing the order of the install. Reformatted and this time tried darwin bootloader install first from iATKOS disc and then ran through install again. This also fails at blinking cursor.

I also tried installing iATKOS without darwin boot option and then ran EFI script and this also did not work.

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? MAybe something on the IATKOS DVD screws up the EFI 8.0 somehow.

Any suggestions would be nice.

I might be mistaken, but I thought that iATKOS uses it's own EFI and it only supports MBR partition types.

The Kalyway 10.5.1 distro supports MBR and GUID partition types. You may be better off with Kalyway if you don't want to have an MBR partition type.

It seems that iATKOS wasn't meant to be run with a GUID partition table. I am currently trying to find the ideal setup based on the 10.5.1 DVDs. Here are some pros and cons of Kalyway and iATKOS:

Kalyway:

Pros:

-Choice of MBR or GUID flavor of EFIv8

-Fairly complete selection of driver packages

-No menu-run script needs to be run before/after install

-Wake from sleep is possible! (though not with Vanilla kernel)

Cons:

-Annoying customizations that are not optional

-Default desktop removed (simple to remedy)

-Finder window backgrounds default to orange (easy to revert)

-Buttons in Finder are great for viewing invisible files, but they sort of break the Finder

-No power management icon for battery status

-3rd-party application installs are not optional (not a deal-breaker)

iATKOS:

Pros:

-Power management comes installed

-SpeedStep supposedly works (fan speed was always on high, which was not previously the case...strange)

-Only distribution with which I could get both cores actually working

Cons:

-About This Mac window is "tarnished" with the iATKOS logo

-No wake from sleep functionality

-Install DVD requires extra script to be run (easy to forget)

-No GUID EFI possibility

-Supposedly there is no Rosetta (PPC emulation) support (needed for Office 2004, right?)

Conclusion:

There are components from each distro that I like. I think that ideally if one builds a distribution with the intent of benefiting the masses, one should have two versions, a very "tight" version, and a "loose" version. The tight version would be appropriate for people who built or own systems that are very similar to real Macs. (my Toshiba Tecra M7, for example, has almost the exact same hardware as a MacBook) The other distribution could support a huge array of hardware. I suppose this could even be done in the installation options menu, eliminating the need for two separate distros.

While previously I was too skittish to install OS X on a production system, my goal over Christmas vacation is to set up my M7 triple-booting Vista, Leopard, and Ubuntu 7.10. I've done this before, but now I'm trying to do it for keeps. Thus I want as "original" a MacOS install as is possible.

I think I'll try Kalyway with GUID EFI next, and see if it solves any problems. GUID probably won't play nice with triple-booting, so maybe that's not a great idea. However, even if we haven't reached perfection with the latest EFI advances, the state of OSx86 is getting better by the day.

Please explain how??

SticMAN

It seems that iATKOS wasn't meant to be run with a GUID partition table. I am currently trying to find the ideal setup based on the 10.5.1 DVDs. Here are some pros and cons of Kalyway and iATKOS:

Kalyway:

Cons:

-Finder window backgrounds default to orange (easy to revert)

Well honestly I dont see why Iatkos could not run from GUID. However all of my test show it cant so far.

I_am me's script makes it bootable and installs EFI_8.0 so all the pieces are there so? Does not seem to be active, or maybe its because of USB. I'll get this figured out then update here.

-Supposedly there is no Rosetta (PPC emulation) support (needed for Office 2004, right?)

I'm curious how this rumor got started, as I hear it a lot and it's complete jibberish.

I'm fairly certain I know though. iATKOS is 2GB in size, and one of the reasons it's so small is that they scrap the PPC code. This means the version of the OS that is specifically for PPC Macs (ie. pre-Intel Mac). This does NOT mean they reduce functionality from the Intel code. It still runs Office just fine, and Rosetta should work identically to how it works on an original OS X DVD install on an Intel Mac.

The Leopard DVD contains two separate and complete installs for two separate platforms. We have no use whatsoever for the PPC version install.

I have iAtkos intalled with GUID and it was really very simple.

I used the i_am_me method #2 from the sticky. I did not use his script, no reason, just didn't.

First from iAtkos I formated the drive using GUID, then loaded terminal and entered i_am_me's commands for method two. I have all of the necessary files on a USB drive.

Then ran the iAtkos install. Some of the options I chose were the EFI install (this does not install EFI, only installs the vanilla kernel and one other kext, vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

I also checked the Netkas AppleSMBios.kext.

What I did not do:

Did not have to install dsmos.kext, iAtkos does that.

Did not have to remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext iAtkos does that.

Did not have to run the iAtkos darwin boot loader. That is a separate option before actual install. I believe darwin boot loader was installed/setup when I installed Netkas' EFI.

Did not have to make the partition active, not sure why.

In any case, it works like a charm on my system, GUID, and all.

Geeze

TimeMachine IS your NEW BEST FRIEND!!!

I have iAtkos intalled with GUID and it was really very simple.

I used the i_am_me method #2 from the sticky. I did not use his script, no reason, just didn't.

First from iAtkos I formated the drive using GUID, then loaded terminal and entered i_am_me's commands for method two. I have all of the necessary files on a USB drive.

Then ran the iAtkos install. Some of the options I chose were the EFI install (this does not install EFI, only installs the vanilla kernel and one other kext, acpi?

I also checked the Netkas AppleSMBios.kext.

What I did not do:

Did not have to install dsmos.kext, iAtkos does that.

Did not have to remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext iAtkos does that.

Did not have to run the iAtkos darwin boot loader (their separate option before actual install), not sure why.

Did not have to make the partition active, not sure why.

In any case, it works like a charm on my system, GUID, and all.

Microsoft Office 2004 works great.

The release is 1.0i. There is going to be a "u" version. The current version will not run programs written in PPC code. For example, if you have MOTU Digital Performer v5 or earlier, it will not run on iAtkos 1.0i. If you upgrade MOTU DP to 5.1, then it will run on iAtkos 1.0i.

Geeze

Interesting. You did not install darwin and did not have to make the partiton active. I know my system gets stuck at the blinking cursor if I dont mark it active. Maybe thats an ussue with USB drives only. Not sure. I will have to try it without the darwin options. I assumed I did not need darwin but did not want to take the risk. I will update the info above also with this new info.

The current version will not run programs written in PPC code. For example, if you have MOTU Digital Performer v5 or earlier, it will not run on iAtkos 1.0i. If you upgrade MOTU DP to 5.1, then it will run on iAtkos 1.0i.

I'm really getting tired of hearing this.

Uphuck did NOT remove Rosetta nor any of the capabilities of it. The "removed" part of the DVD is the PPC *INSTALL* like for people who are installing Leopard on pre-Intel Macs. The DVD you buy at the store has two separate and complete installers on it for the two different hardware architectures. We, as Intel users, obviously do not need the PPC installer, so Uphuck (and many other distros) do not include it. WE DO NOT LOSE ANYTHING BY NOT HAVING IT THERE.

---

To get back on track, the newer patched iATKOS ISO has the Darwin Bootloader as part of the install, but I believe it's a custom option that can be toggled. Is there any harm in using it, or would it potentially wreck our install if we tried?

Interesting. You did not install darwin and did not have to make the partiton active. I know my system gets stuck at the blinking cursor if I dont mark it active. Maybe thats an ussue with USB drives only. Not sure. I will have to try it without the darwin options. I assumed I did not need darwin but did not want to take the risk. I will update the info above also with this new info.

I only used the USB drive to hold Netkas' EFI v8 files. The only place they CAN'T be is on the same drive as with the partition that will take the install. This is because to complete the last step:

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

hard drive X must be unmounted. So if you have mulitple drives in your machine or if you have an external hard/thumb drive, place your Netkas files there and you will be fine. I have done this install now like 6/7 times because I am have been going back and forth between iAtkos and Kalyway. So far I like iAtkos better.

Geeze.

I know I barrowed from I_am me's stuff. But I mention all this to see his thread. Just wanted to share my experience with it.

Geeze I also think iAtkos is better. Its what finally gave me the battery icon which no other install could.

I'm really getting tired of hearing this.

Uphuck did NOT remove Rosetta nor any of the capabilities of it. The "removed" part of the DVD is the PPC *INSTALL* like for people who are installing Leopard on pre-Intel Macs. The DVD you buy at the store has two separate and complete installers on it for the two different hardware architectures. We, as Intel users, obviously do not need the PPC installer, so Uphuck (and many other distros) do not include it. WE DO NOT LOSE ANYTHING BY NOT HAVING IT THERE.

Ahhh, sorry about that, but that is good to know. Thanks.

how do i "run" the i_me_mac commands?

Go here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

I used "method 2".

Geeze.. On my system I had to pick the vanilla kernal BUT not the vanilla ACPI file and then it worked. If you pick both files vanilla it wont show. If you pick no vanilla you get the battery icon and intel speedstep if u pick that also.

Hope that helps. Took some trial and eror before i figured all that out.

Geeze.. On my system I had to pick the vanilla kernal BUT not the vanilla ACPI file and then it worked. If you pick both files vanilla it wont show. If you pick no vanilla you get the battery icon and intel speedstep if u pick that also.

Hope that helps. Took some trial and eror before i figured all that out.

I knew I had it working at some point. When it was first released, I didn't install that option, but it is installed now. I have installed iAtkos and Kalyway so many times I am getting them confused. Which is great that doing a install can be so quick these days. I will try replacing with the version that would have been installed had I not checked that box under EFI.

Thanks for the help.

Geeze

Update: That did the trick. Any idea what I might lose by not using the vanilla 10.5.1 ACPI kext?

Update: That did the trick. Any idea what I might lose by not using the vanilla 10.5.1 ACPI kext?

I dont think your losing much not having vanilla ACPI. Thats part of the power mgmt and unless you have the most perfect hackintosh. You cant use vanilla ACPI.

If someone cares to jump in please correct me.

I dont think your losing much not having vanilla ACPI. Thats part of the power mgmt and unless you have the most perfect hackintosh. You cant use vanilla ACPI.

If someone cares to jump in please correct me.

What about Software System Updates. Are you still eligible to use those using only the Vanilla Kernal and NOT the ACPI Kernel?

What about Software System Updates. Are you still eligible to use those using only the Vanilla Kernal and NOT the ACPI Kernel?

I was able to update no problem with this config. The key is the kernal. As long as they dont update the ACPI file we should be fine.