OSX86 10.4.8 - Midi interface reccomendations

bongfury

10 posts in this topic

Hi, very new to the Hackintosh scene (only made the leap due to the logic 8 demo ;) )

Just wondering if some members would be kind enough to point me in the right direction of some working midi interface choices. (I noticed some of the midiman/m-audio are reported to be usable via the wiki HCL list but would like confirmation and to have a number of options??)

Even better if someone might make some suggestions/confirmation as to my existing interfaces which I've failed miserably to get working on 10.4.8 with Semthex S5 kernel. I'm more than prepared to tweak kext's/change 'family' kexts etc if pointed in the right direction.

Existing interface possibilities >>

Emagic MT4 USB - shows up in profiler on USB bus, OSX drivers v1.70 installed... will not show up in core midi or via the emagic unitor software (config software for the interface).. just sits in patch mode (where it should kick into USB mode - changed ports/tried hubs so on and so forth but no idea where to begin editing etc for usb devices)

Motu midi express XT Serial/parallel - okay, I haven't tried!.. but as it's serial I suppose there's no hope?.. possible serial <> usb converter? or get parallel port detected in OSX and use a USB driver (I realise I'm reeeaally dreaming there though)

RME Digiface (similar to Multiface also with 2x2 midi onboard).. again haven't made much of a go as its cardbus PCMCIA and I doubt my elan p111 PCMCIA PCI card is going to be detected (on the look out for a pci card though, hoping one of the RME users could confirm if their ports are shown in core midi).

oh and maybe someone has come across a free midi overlan or ipmidi alternative to allow PC <> Mac midi over lan (as it could be a short term workaround just to get some noise made)

Sorry to ask for so much... Many Thanks in advance.. much love.. fury

i had a similiar problem with my Terratec MIDI Hubble - when connected directly via the computer's USB port, the device would be picked up in the System Profiler, and the USB Ports on the back would work, but the device would not show up in any software.

Connecting via the USB port on my keyboard fixed that problem *somehow*

try different configurations if you have USB hub about somewhere, and your existing hardware (if supported by the OS) should work fine

EDIT: no serial/parallel devices work in OSX, even with adaptors (that's straight from the Pro Tools manual)

however your PCMCIA device *might* work, if your controller is detected by OS X (check out the links here - but it's possibly OSX just won't have drivers for the card

Cheers Tomazzi. I'll look out for a deal then.

DJ_Stick, thanks for the reply and for the link mate, very ugood of you, yep tried all usb options available (inc. apple k/board) anyways just built a quad hackintosh on leopard so I'll be having another bash (probably literally) with the MT4 and will check out the PCMCIA route too

happy new year

Now I know no-one really cares but just in case someone has been struggling wih an MT4, AMT8.. whatever. any of the emagic unitor range.. the driver for intel mac comes with logic 7.2 or Logic studio 8 (legacy hardware option in the DVD installer), y'can't download it anywhere..

Yep, cheers drumhead, as I said I've installed the 'legacy hardware' package from the first logic 8 DVD and all's good.. except of course I'm used to 8 in's/out's (sadly a prallel interface), so I'm having to compromise/workaround but it's nice to be capable of writing with mac.. and I'm liking logic.. veeeerrry much.

• 1 month later...