 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

OMG!How do u get sleep working? I have EFIv8, replaced AppleSMBIOS (from EFI package) and dsmos.kext. Also included reboor and TM fix into IONETworkingI'm using vanilla kernel right nowthank a lot 4 any help!
Sleep is by key command onlyCMD+Alt+EjectTo wake up press the power button on PC
Ok, I have tried several things and I am stuck. Here is where I am so far:1) I have iAtkos running smoothly (GUID/EFI v8) on my laptop. I have an DMG file of the Retail Leopard DVD on the iAtkos desktop.2) Formated and external drive with GUID and installed EFI v8 and entered the "dd if" commands to make it bootable. These same commands worked fine for my iAtkos install.3) Using the terminal I navigated to the Packages directory of the Leopard retail DMG and ran OSInstall.mpkg. 4) Selected my external HD and hit install, no problems there.5) When that finished I removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext and added Netkas' AppleSMBios.kext and dsmos.kext.6) Did the permissions for those files and then did a disk permissions. Reboot.Here are my problems:1)Initialy got a repeating over and over HPET thing (Package 0 didn't get an HPET). I renamed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. That seemed to stop that.2) I now get a series of lines (about 5 or 6) that all begin with: localhost mDNSResponder [22] couldn't read user-specified.....I did a complete reinstall except the second time I added IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the iAtkos DVD. I also added Natit.kext.1) got the repeating HPET line, and again removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext2) Still get the mDNSResponder [22] lines.On both installs it just hangs there. Also on my iAtkos install the HPET deal isn't an issue and I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed. Any ideas?GeezePs...I really don't have to fool with this method, except that I think it is a really cool concept in regards to using the retail DVD. Plus iAtkos release removed all ability to run PPC code programs.
Try replacing or adding kext for video drivers before booting ( you can add kext from working iATKOS )

I use command "open osinstall.mpkg" and It show up open failed Couldn't open "OSinstall.mpkg"

Is I do something wrong. what i have to do next?

Thanks

tell what you did before this

you are suppose to

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages ( Mac=hard drive where to install 10.5)

open osinstall.mpkg

honestly, how many people have gotten this working?

i have a working hackintosh using OneTracks guide. been trying to nail this one down for hours.

always get stuck at mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer name: using default bMachintosh

mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname: using default bMachintosh

Tried everything mentioned except removing AppleEFIRuntime because my working installation actaully has that installed.

Replaced AppleSMBIOS and added dsmos and IONetworking. All permissions correct. ALWAYS gets stuck at above mentioned lines. Any clues anyone?

Thanks.

i have a working hackintosh using OneTracks guide. been trying to nail this one down for hours.

always get stuck at mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer name: using default bMachintosh

mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname: using default bMachintosh

Tried everything mentioned except removing AppleEFIRuntime because my working installation actaully has that installed.

Replaced AppleSMBIOS and added dsmos and IONetworking. All permissions correct. ALWAYS gets stuck at above mentioned lines. Any clues anyone?

Thanks.

What installation you had before.

Need to remove AppleEFIRuntime

Most likely you will boot with F8 than -x -v

GL

I can't seem to get the icon fix to work. When I copy and paste it, the large icon in "get info" looks all pixelated, like it's just stretching the small icon. I'm sure I'm just missing something really simple?

Yes you can easily fix that .First open the icon file it will open with Preview make sure you copy the biggest icon on the Left main side of preview than paste at the get info place of desired hard drive

post-76244-1198951074_thumb.jpg

I did everything as directed and it all works great! The hard drives are shown as internal and everything else looks good. I use my second drive with Tiger as a backup drive for Time Machine.

The only issue I have is with my Plextor PX-755SA drive which appears once the system boots and it is shown as burning device for a certain period of time but later it just disappears and the system profile shows the following message: "No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly."

Any ideas what I could do about it? It's connected to an orange port on my GA-965P-DS4 motherboard.

Thanks for your responses. ;)

I did everything as directed and it all works great! The hard drives are shown as internal and everything else looks good. I use my second drive with Tiger as a backup drive for Time Machine.

The only issue I have is with my Plextor PX-755SA drive which appears once the system boots and it is shown as burning device for a certain period of time but later it just disappears and the system profile shows the following message: "No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly."

Any ideas what I could do about it? It's connected to an orange port on my GA-965P-DS4 motherboard.

Thanks for your responses. ;)

Try disconnecting the SATA and Plug to different port (of-course orange only) . Restart and make sure first it is listed correctly in the Bios.Try first AHCI mode

Thanks.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...5863&st=60#

Thanks.

I had this error for a while. What I did was start from fresh. Re-apply EFI patch then install leopard from retail DVD (from inside my working ToH install). However on this occasion, I turned owner permissions on as soon as the installer completed using:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/XXX where XXX is the name of your hard drive

Following this I just deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManegement.kext then replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext then chown and chmod.

After that just rebooted and worked straight away! I am using E6600 @ 3.6GHZ on an Abit IP35PRO

Hope this helps

What installation you had before.

Need to remove AppleEFIRuntime

Most likely you will boot with F8 than -x -v

GL

I'm using a Brazilmac install using this guide and everything is working solid. I had checked my Extensions folder on this install and noticed that AppleEFIRuntime was there, so I decided not to remove it from the Retail Install.

I guess I should note that I'm installing this to USB HD, using my laptop (installed with Brazilma) then booting the USB HD with desktop. Its more or less an experiment.

I'll try your suggestion here, but I think I may have tried it before when I tried to install retail to a 2nd partitin on my laptop. haha. We'll see how it goes. Also going to give the other suggestions a try.

Thanks!

Try disconnecting the SATA and Plug to different port (of-course orange only) . Restart and make sure first it is listed correctly in the Bios.Try first AHCI mode

Thanks, tried everything but for some reason the drive just keeps disappearing... Wish there was a way to use my Phillips drive on IDE channel... :rolleyes:

It's funny though that it is still shown in Serial-ATA devices list but gone under disc burning:

Intel ICH8-R AHCI:

Vendor: Intel

Product: ICH8-R AHCI

Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A:

Model: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A

Revision: 1.07

Serial Number: 132075

Native Command Queuing: No

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk4

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: Unknown

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

I had this error for a while. What I did was start from fresh. Re-apply EFI patch then install leopard from retail DVD (from inside my working ToH install). However on this occasion, I turned owner permissions on as soon as the installer completed using:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/XXX where XXX is the name of your hard drive

Following this I just deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManegement.kext then replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext then chown and chmod.

After that just rebooted and worked straight away! I am using E6600 @ 3.6GHZ on an Abit IP35PRO

Hope this helps

What about Audio, reboot shutdown, wake and sleep, with this motherboard ?

Thank's

Confirming that the method works. Although I made a few alterations.

Credit goes to karaakeha1 for the method, and aliab and goob for the tips.

Started with a working Brazilmac installation using Onetrack's Guide. (Not sure if you can start with Tiger)

Installed to USB HD (going to use this to try an install to internal drive on desktop, GA-965P-DS3 Rev3.3)

Replaced AppleSMBIOs, added dsmos and NVInject, and removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Didn't remove AppleEFIRuntime because my other installation had it (your situation may differ). Chown, Chmod, Repair Permissions.

Booted up and works like a charm.

Goodluck!

hmmm i'm gonna try this method now

i hape a leopard iso retail 9a581 ,it's 6.37gb!

so karaakeha correct me if i'm wrong..

now i'm inside leopard with kalyway's intallation to mbr and efi boot

i will mount the 6gb with disk utility ,then open terminal point it to the packages ,then install?

what should i delete/leave after the installation so at the reboot everything will be ok?

if i need to mount the iso from a usb disk it's not a problem i have one..should i?

otherwise i will mount it from another sata disk and install in an ide disk (the same that now is the kalyway)

hmmm i'm gonna try this method now

i hape a leopard iso retail 9a581 ,it's 6.37gb!

so karaakeha correct me if i'm wrong..

now i'm inside leopard with kalyway's intallation to mbr and efi boot

i will mount the 6gb with disk utility ,then open terminal point it to the packages ,then install?

what should i delete/leave after the installation so at the reboot everything will be ok?

if i need to mount the iso from a usb disk it's not a problem i have one..should i?

otherwise i will mount it from another sata disk and install in an ide disk (the same that now is the kalyway)

You should install EFI on GUID , and read the first post clearly mentioned what to add or delete . SATA should be in AHCI mode , if you want IDE than after instillation replace few kext from first post .

GL

ok no problem i will install again kalyway at guid

so after the installation i'll do only this?! "After instillation delete InteEFI kext and place dsmos and SMBIOS"

only those 3 kexts??

hmmm

i don't care for ide mode ,for now i just want to boot cause i need to test some things that didn;t work in other distros

ok no problem i will install again kalyway at guid

so after the installation i'll do only this?! "After instillation delete InteEFI kext and place dsmos and SMBIOS"

only those 3 kexts??

hmmm

i don't care for ide mode ,for now i just want to boot cause i need to test some things that didn;t work in other distros

In case after booting you get hpet error , than you need to delete AppleIntelCPUPoermanagement.kext too.

and after installing EFI make drive partition active

sudo -s

password

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 [X=1 in my case]

update

f Y [Y=2 in my case] f=Partition where EFI is installed i.e, as I used Y=2 in above shell command, there spac between f Y

w (after this Select Y)

q

Ok, I am repeating info here, but I wanted to post a step by step guide to what I did just to get to the "Welcome" section and then to the Leopard desktop. I am not covering anything about audio/video/LAN, etc. This is all based on several others hard work: Karaakeha1, Netkas, the list is long, I am sure. I am just organizing it.

First of all I have an external USB hard drive. It is a 70 GB drive. For our purposes this drive is named "usbdrive". Using a tiger install, I installed iAtkos 1.0i (Kalyway or any other Leopard install is fine) to the external USB hard drive. I did not worry about getting any of its audio/LAN stuff to work. My only concern was that it would at least have basic video capability and the ability to boot See end of this post why I chose to use a Leopard install.

In the root directory of "usbdrive" I also placed a folder named "efi" with the following:

1) Contents of unzipped Netkas' EFI v8 files

2) Netkas' dsmos.kext

3) Netkas AppleSMBios.kext

4) NVinject.kext (the 256 mb version, substitute your video driver here)

5) A DMG file of my retail Leopard 10.5.1 (I bought it, you should too)

Now here are the steps I took:

1) Booted my computer from "usbdrive" using F12 (this allows me to pick my boot device. Your method to pick boot device might be different)

2) From within my "usbdrive" Leopard external drive I used Disk Utility to format my target drive. I used 1 partition, HFS journaled, GUID, and named the partition "xxx".

3) I used Disk Utility to get the disk number (X) and partition number (Y) of partition "xxx".

4) While still in Disk Utility I unmounted that new partition.

5) I navigated using Finder to my DMG of my retail Leopard image (on my external USB drive) and mounted it.

6) Open terminal. Enter:

sudo -s

You will be prompted for your password.

7) Using the terminal I navigated to my EFI directory on "usbdrive".

cd /Volumes/usbdrive/efi

8) Now I enter my commands to install EFI and make the partition "xxx" bootable. There is a better discussion on the GUID and EFI here. Also remember that your new partition "xxx" will already be unmounted from step number 4. The first two lines of the following code will not work if the partition "xxx" is not unmounted and the last line will not work unless the entire disk (X) that has partition "xxx" on it is unmounted. You will also need your disk number (X) and partition number (Y) for the following:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

Now you should have EFI installed and partition "xxx" will remount after the last line on its own. Proceed to the next step.

9) From within terminal navigate to OSInstall.mpkg on the mounted Leopard retail image:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

10) Start the retail Leopard installation program:

open OSInstall.mpkg

11) Select your freshly formated partitioned. In our case partition "xxx"

12) For time's sake, I customized my install to not include any printer drivers or additional languages.

13) When the install completed I hit the "ok" button.

14) Before you do ANYTHING else you should activate owner permissions from the command line:

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx

15) From Finder I navigated to the "Extensions" directory of my new install (on partition "xxx") and moved AppleEFIRuntime.kext to the trash.

16) From the command line of my still open terminal I also switched to that same directory:

cd /Volumes/xxx/System/Library/Extensions

17) I renamed this file (I have since omited this step for my self, but it might be necessary for some):

mv AppleIntelCPUPowerManegement.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManegement.kext.old

18) Using Finder I moved Netkas' dsmos.kext and AppleSMBios.kext along with NVinject.kext to the "Extensions" directory of my new Leopard install partition (on partition "xxx").

19) From the command line I chmod'ed and chown'ed all three of those files. Here is that code:

chmod -R 755 example.kext
chown -R root:wheel example.kext

I did not delete Extensions.mkext because it didn't exist at that point. Nor did I do a "repair permissions" with Disk Utility.

20) Closed terminal and rebooted.

21) Smiled when I saw the "Welcome" intro, created my user account.

22) Added all of my essential kexts, deleted Extensions.mkext, did "repair permissions" with Disk Utility, did another reboot, and all is well except for the normal shut down/sleep issues.

23) Two things I did NOT have to do were: reboot in safe mode or use "fdisk" to make anything active.

The reason I did this install from a usb drive with iAtkos Leopard on it was because of step number 10. It seems the "open OSInstall.mpkg" command won't work from a Tiger install, and pacifist is CRAZY slow. So it was about saving time. As was my decision to make a DMG image of my retail Leopard DVD. With the DMG you don't have to worry about your CD drive and it installs faster, which is good if something gets messed up and you have to start from scratch. I am at some point going to add the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext back into the mix, because it seems to work just fine installed on my iAtkos (and Kalyway) install. I just wanted to get through that first boot unscathed.

I hope this helps because I had a lot of problems getting this to work at first because of my noobness.

Geeze

I don't dont understand this step.

cd /Volumes/usbdrive\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

I have three disk on my computer.

1. Ownies?

2. Pwnies?

3. OSX

I'm currently booting from (Ownies?) (Pwnies?) is my DATA storage also where my DMG of OSX

I mount the OSX DMG and I see the Install DVD on my desktop.

I do the following.

cd /Volumes/OSX\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

and get

bash: cd: /Volumes/OSX OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages: No such file or directory

Any suggestions?

I don't don't understand this step.

cd /Volumes/usbdrive\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

I have three disk on my computer.

1. Ownies?

2. Pwnies?

3. OSX

I'm currently booting from (Ownies?) (Pwnies?)

Disclaimer, I am a quasi-noob, so take anything I say with a grain of salt....

This threw me at first too. The problem is that OS X sees this-> OS X Install DVD as 4 different objects or arguments because there is a space between them so the backslash character "\" is used. It tells the operating system to ingnore the very next character which in our case is a space. So what we are doing here is navigating to the "Packages" directory by using the command line.

Not sure which drive you are booting from, but for example I would do this. Install iAtkos (or Kalyway) to hardrive "Ownies". You could then install to "Pwnies". The "Pwnies" drive needs to be prepped with GUID/EFI. I am assuming you have all of the EFI/GUID stuff worked out. If not, hit the search. This has been answered many times. I would also place my Netkas EFI files and the DMG file of the Leopard install DVD on the "Ownies" drive as well. Mount this image simply by clicking on it in Finder. Navigate to the "Packages" folder using the command line and open the install file:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages
open OSInstall.mpkg

I oops'd this last part in my previous post. When you mount the DMG image it shows up under the "Volumes" directory. I edited my post above to reflect that.

Select "Pwnies" as your target drive. The rest is in my post. I might have skipped some other steps here as well.

Geeze

For EFI gfx-string on P35 mobo, check out this page:-

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,80.0.html

Another step closer to vanilla \o/

Thanks a Lot :D with your help another step closer.see pic

Added update to post 1 ,credit goes to you & minority for simple and complete guide

Also Attached with post for XFX7600 GS 265 Mb com.apple.Boot.plist just updated , (first uploaded the wrong one)

post-76244-1199158793_thumb.jpg