 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

I have just fixed reboot issue installing AppleACPIPlatform from irc (see my sig.).

Congrats now everything working for you. Can you pl attach AppleACPIPlatform from irc to you signature or any link.

Also how did you fix ownership problem. used any command ?

thanks

Trying to do this threads method, but now I am stuck. I have installed efi v8/guid on my laptop and it works great as long as I only have one partition. When I make two partitions, one for tiger, one for leopard. I do the exact same steps I did for the single partion, but with two it stops at a blinking cursor. Any ideas?

Also, I went ahead and reformated to one single partion with efi v8/guid: doesn't that mean I can change/add/delete partions? How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Geeze

You have to install EFI to both Leo and Tiger partitions. It works for me. You can simply edit partitions in Disk Utility.

Ok, did that, and I am now able to boot to my tiger partition. I messed around a bit with volumeResize command. I inserted the lepard DVD, but I can't seem to be able to access the packages folder with the command line. If fact, I can't even 'cd' to the directory. I have tried doing the whole path, and I have tried doing the cd command incrementally one folder at a time. I have tried this with the retail CD in the drive and also a mounted dmg version of my retail cd. Any ideas?

I installed from Tiger with Pacifist. It boots but doesn't load "loginwindow.app". It just starts a loop trying to load the app file, but it says "No such file or directory". Also it won't let me repair permissions from Tiger. It says "No valid packages".

I know what happens with my Leopard installation. None of the files Pacifist installed has the right permissions and since I don't have any file inside "Library/Receipts", Disk Utility says it cannot repair permissions. That's the reason it can't load "loginwindow.app" while booting.

Now, what can I do??

What do you mean "can't even 'cd' to the directory"? Does it return any error? Are you writing the correct patch?

Yeah, it wouldn't let me. Returned a 'no such directory/file' error. I could see the folder by doing a 'ls' command. I tried everything, even cut and pasted. What finally worked was doing a "cd M*" and that took me the "Mac OS X Install" directory and then I was able to navigate the rest of the way to the OSInstall.mpkg. Got that far and got the same issue you did with "Can't open etc". I have since gotten my hands on both Kalyway and iAtkos (they both work great on my laptop), so I will try this threads method again, but from a Leopard partition. Pacifist just takes too damn long. Is there anyway to turn off the verify post unpackage?

Hi ! Could you give me a hand

My motherboard is Gigabyte 965P DS4 rev 2.0.

I deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext and added dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext.

But I didn't reboot my Mac.

In your steps. Do I want to use the Vanilla Kernel?

If I wanted, could you give me the files? And tell me how to do?

In the end, thanks very much.

post-158644-1198412739_thumb.jpg

Hi ! Could you give me a hand

My motherboard is Gigabyte 965P DS4 rev 2.0.

I deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext and added dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext.

But I didn't reboot my Mac.

In your steps. Do I want to use the Vanilla Kernel?

If I wanted, could you give me the files? And tell me how to do?

In the end, thanks very much.

Make sure you installed with correct permission

At boot start in safe mode first

-x -v

most likely you should boot than repair permissions and reboot

good luck

Ok, I have tried several things and I am stuck. Here is where I am so far:

1) I have iAtkos running smoothly (GUID/EFI v8) on my laptop. I have an DMG file of the Retail Leopard DVD on the iAtkos desktop.

2) Formated and external drive with GUID and installed EFI v8 and entered the "dd if" commands to make it bootable. These same commands worked fine for my iAtkos install.

3) Using the terminal I navigated to the Packages directory of the Leopard retail DMG and ran OSInstall.mpkg.

4) Selected my external HD and hit install, no problems there.

5) When that finished I removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext and added Netkas' AppleSMBios.kext and dsmos.kext.

6) Did the permissions for those files and then did a disk permissions. Reboot.

Here are my problems:

1)Initialy got a repeating over and over HPET thing (Package 0 didn't get an HPET). I renamed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. That seemed to stop that.

2) I now get a series of lines (about 5 or 6) that all begin with:

localhost mDNSResponder [22] couldn't read user-specified.....

I did a complete reinstall except the second time I added IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the iAtkos DVD. I also added Natit.kext.

1) got the repeating HPET line, and again removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

2) Still get the mDNSResponder [22] lines.

On both installs it just hangs there. Also on my iAtkos install the HPET deal isn't an issue and I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed. Any ideas?

Geeze

Ps...I really don't have to fool with this method, except that I think it is a really cool concept in regards to using the retail DVD.

would i be able to do this from a hacked version of leopard (iatkos) installed? let me see if i got this right:

1. Mount the Disk Image of retail DVD

2. Make sure name of the Disk mounted as Mac OS X Install DVD

3. Open Terminal do the following:

sudo -s (enter)

will ask for password type it hit Enter

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

open osinstall.mpkg (enter) and it should install correct?

next step delete/add kext: so i search for the InteEFI kext and delete it, then add the dsmos and AppleSMBIOS kexts in System/Library/Extensions Folder.

now to clear things up, my two questions are do i delete the AppleEFIRuntime.kext? and do i install the EFI 8, on both leopard and iatkos (if i were to install it from iatkos)?

edit: i ahve a gigabyte p35 mobo ds3l, but ive gotten iATKOS to work on my computer, so retail leopard should work.

and thanks karaakeha1 and Is8 for making things clearer.

would i be able to do this from a hacked version of leopard (iatkos) installed? let me see if i got this right:, my two questions are do i delete the AppleEFIRuntime.kext? and do i install the EFI 8, on both leopard and iatkos (if i were to install it from iatkos)?edit: i ahve a gigabyte p35 mobo ds3l, but ive gotten iATKOS to work on my computer, so retail leopard should work. and thanks karaakeha1 and Is8 for making things clearer.
Need to delete this AppleEFIRuntime.kext if installed from Retail DVD, if iATKOS than not required
Ok, I have tried several things and I am stuck. Here is where I am so far:1) I have iAtkos running smoothly (GUID/EFI v8) on my laptop. I have an DMG file of the Retail Leopard DVD on the iAtkos desktop.2) Formated and external drive with GUID and installed EFI v8 and entered the "dd if" commands to make it bootable. These same commands worked fine for my iAtkos install.3) Using the terminal I navigated to the Packages directory of the Leopard retail DMG and ran OSInstall.mpkg. 4) Selected my external HD and hit install, no problems there.5) When that finished I removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext and added Netkas' AppleSMBios.kext and dsmos.kext.6) Did the permissions for those files and then did a disk permissions. Reboot.Here are my problems:1)Initialy got a repeating over and over HPET thing (Package 0 didn't get an HPET). I renamed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. That seemed to stop that.2) I now get a series of lines (about 5 or 6) that all begin with: localhost mDNSResponder [22] couldn't read user-specified.....I did a complete reinstall except the second time I added IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the iAtkos DVD. I also added Natit.kext.1) got the repeating HPET line, and again removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext2) Still get the mDNSResponder [22] lines.On both installs it just hangs there. Also on my iAtkos install the HPET deal isn't an issue and I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext installed. Any ideas?GeezePs...I really don't have to fool with this method, except that I think it is a really cool concept in regards to using the retail DVD. Plus iAtkos release removed all ability to run PPC code programs.
From with the iATKOS when retail leopard Hard drive is connected check

ls -lr /Volumes/Leo/System/Library/Extensions/ ( here leo=Name of Hard-drive) if all the permissions are corrected .I was getting the same errors, once permissions were corrected I Booted without Error though first booted to safe modeF8 and then -x -v once I booted to safe mode from there with disk utility I repaired the permissions and reboot and error disappeared

Need to delete this AppleEFIRuntime.kext if installed from Retail DVD, if iATKOS than not required From with the iATKOS when retail leopard Hard drive is connected check

ls -lr /Volumes/Leo/System/Library/Extensions/ ( here leo=Name of Hard-drive) if all the permissions are corrected .I was getting the same errors, once permissions were corrected I Booted without Error though first booted to safe modeF8 and then -x -v once I booted to safe mode from there with disk utility I repaired the permissions and reboot and error disappeared

Thanks...that got me a bit farther. dsmos.kext didn't have the right permissions set. I corrected that and from the iAtkos install DVD did a repair permissions as well.

Now I get to the blue screen but no login window and no mouse pointer.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get this figured out.

...Update 3: I replaced Few Kext to retail version , (Apple AHCIPort.kext

IOATAFamily.kext ,IOAHCIFamily.kext) Can Download below

With the result Now

SATA Hard Drive shows as internal Hard Drive

in BIOS now this works with both IDE and AHCI mode

System Profile Shows as ICH9-R AHCI

Check out latest Pictures of System Profile and disk utilities :)

Thanks. This fixed the problem for me too. Xbench result didn't change, performance is still excellent.

Thanks...that got me a bit farther. dsmos.kext didn't have the right permissions set. I corrected that and from the iAtkos install DVD did a repair permissions as well.

Now I get to the blue screen but no login window and no mouse pointer.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get this figured out.

Try deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

;) Finally With the Help of This wonderful Form I installed Totally untouched Retail Leopard 10.5 on Gigabyte P35 DS4 rev 2.0

( only deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext added dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext from EFI 8.0 Folder).

Update : on this retail 10.5.1 with EFI 8, installed Adobe CS3 Design Premium Volume version without any modification and all updates work

Update 2 : How to change Icon. I attached file here of Icon.Open it than copy it( CMD+C ) .Right click the drive you want to change the icon open get info. then click on the small icon(smaller one) preview paste you just copied (CMS+V)

Update 3: I replaced Few Kext to retail version , (Apple AHCIPort.kext

IOATAFamily.kext ,IOAHCIFamily.kext) Can Download below

With the result Now

SATA Hard Drive shows as internal Hard Drive

in BIOS now this works with both IDE and AHCI mode

System Profile Shows as ICH9-R AHCI

Check out Pictures of System Profile and disk utilities :P

Update 4; With this P35-DS4 internal ethernet works fine , But I observed funny thing , I am unable to connect to network hard-drive on Airport Extreme , As soon as connect to Wifi (with my installed pci Wifi) shared Hard drive appears . and then even If I disable the wifi ,it stays connected and file transfer is fast.

So to check this I installed another PCI gigabit network card . System recognized instantly .Now without wifi it detects all network drives and shared windows PCS etc . and File transfer lightening fast.

Also successfully updated to 10.5.1 from apple update .

1. Pleasant Surprise Yellow icons of Hard Drives But I can use eSATA Hard drives hot swap-able

2. My Q6600 @3.24Gz Recognized with 4 cores

3. installed from within Leopard to Virgin SATA Hard Drive with GUID partition after applying EFI 8.0 and making it active

4. Mounted Retail 10.5 Leopard Disc

5 Used Terminal to install Leopard 10.5 disc

First. cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages ( Mac=hard drive where to install 10.5)

Second. open osinstall.mpkg

6. After instillation very fast ( 5-6 mins) deleted InteEFI kext and placed dsmos and SMBIOS in System/Library/Extensions Folder

I was able to boot without any problem to retail 10.5 totally Vanilla Kernel ;)

7. If for some reason does not boot , boot with F8 then -x -v will boo t in safe mode. repair permission and reboot good luck

PS : If you have successful instillation. do post here So other see and helpful.

Inbuilt network worked ,for display just applied Natit_1.0.pkg

Of course For Sound as already everybody did.

Can you connect to another Mac or PC with the hard disk fix kexts

as i've already tried earlier these kexts without succes for lan connection

Thank's

Can you connect to another Mac or PC with the hard disk fix kexts as i've already tried earlier these kexts without succes for lan connectionThank's
Read Update 4 in the first post. For some reason Lan Kext for built in Ethernet is not perfect. I have ASUS pci wifi. when that is connected I can connect to another windows PC or shared hard drive on the Airport extreme.To Solve this I installed PCI gigabit lan card.Now without wifi also connects to network computer or anything.It has nothing to do with Harddrive kext
Read Update 4 in the first post. For some reason Lan Kext for built in Ethernet is not perfect. I have ASUS pci wifi. when that is connected I can connect to another windows PC or shared hard drive on the Airport extreme.To Solve this I installed PCI gigabit lan card.Now without wifi also connects to network computer or anything.It has nothing to do with Harddrive kext
I also checked the Kext it has for 8169, P35 DS4 built in card is 8168, My installed RLT8169 there fore works perfectly