22 posts in this topic

Im looking at these two mobos:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

which mobos give the less issues and require minimal patching

Here are the leopards i have so far:

1.Leo_patched Dvd 4.37 gb

2.toH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso

ALso, I don't really need to get a P35 board. I have a quad 6600 and I'm just looking for a board that runs efficiently without many bugs and errors.

THank you in advance.

I'm also planning to buy the:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

I believe this motherboard has an ICH9 south bridge chipset not like the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R version with has ICH9R.

I'm not doing raid so I dont think ill go for the ICH9R. But other than that, is ICH9 good for Leopard? I think ICH9R is doing fine.

Now, I second that question (from poster)! Can anybody confirm that the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L works with Leo using EFI_v8? Does it bring a lot of issues when installing it or after installing it?

ATM, im more concerned with the DS3L version because it $40 cheaper that the DS3R.

I only have 2 days to decide =( Please help...

Thank you very much

I have the P35-DS3L. Like said above - I never planned on doing RAID. I haven't tried the two new released of Leopard, but I have BrazilMac's patched copy up and running. It took a little bit to get the audio working but the LAN was a breeze.

It's a solid mobo that overclocks well. I have my Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz running at 3.33GHz with no voltage mods and it'll do more if I push the FSB voltage. If I had to nit-pick, one fault it has is a lack of Firewire built in.

I have the P35-DS3L. Like said above - I never planned on doing RAID. I haven't tried the two new released of Leopard, but I have BrazilMac's patched copy up and running. It took a little bit to get the audio working but the LAN was a breeze.

It's a solid mobo that overclocks well. I have my Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz running at 3.33GHz with no voltage mods and it'll do more if I push the FSB voltage. If I had to nit-pick, one fault it has is a lack of Firewire built in.

Hey ZosoM3 ... thanks for your reply. I think Ill just go for the DS3L .. thanks for your confirmation ... Ill go ahead and order it now!

Btw, just curious, what HeatSink/Fan did you use? Did you buy a different one or did you use the stock one?

Thanks!

I had a heatsink from my old system that I reused. It's one of the huge ones with lots of heatpipes. At one point I tried the stock fan and it was fine for normal use but if you want to overclock spend an extra $50 and get a Zalman.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118223

FYI - I just tried iATKOS and it installed like a charm with a spare PATA HD I had and my SATA DVD drive. The audio and LAN weren't working but those are quick patches.

The D3SL is a good deal for the $. Enjoy!

jospjn: i think you need to use the ppf to fix that issue. I suggest you go to the irc channel and ask help.

ZosoM3: Thank you for the information you shared, Its sooo helpful. Im still waiting for the parts to be shipped. I got the DS3L ... damn, egg price is increasing =( I should have bought the mobo 3 weeks ago which is $15 cheaper (with freeshipping) .. now its more expensive and HAS SHIPPING!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the DS3L. If you use Vanilla kernel and what not... Sleep does work.. to wake from sleep i have to press the power button. IT is a {censored} getting the RTL8111b Ethernet driver... you may want to place an order for a cheap ethernet card with that mobo.

on my ds3l my hardrive performance is perfect, as good as on windows xp (in terms of speed) but the only problem with the ds3l in terms of hardrives and sata drives, is that WITH Ahci enabled, only drives on the first 2 Sata ports work, but leopard works great without AHCI so no problems, I also have no experience with IDE drives on this motherboard.

on my ds3l my hardrive performance is perfect, as good as on windows xp (in terms of speed) but the only problem with the ds3l in terms of hardrives and sata drives, is that WITH Ahci enabled, only drives on the first 2 Sata ports work, but leopard works great without AHCI so no problems, I also have no experience with IDE drives on this motherboard.

I figured the problem out last night. I didn't have AHCI enabled. As soon as I did OSX booted twice as fast and everything loads as quickly as I expected it to. Much better.

I figured the problem out last night. I didn't have AHCI enabled. As soon as I did OSX booted twice as fast and everything loads as quickly as I expected it to. Much better.

Interesting. I keep AHCI off because I'm also running XP which doesn't like AHCI. My system boots quickly and apps open very snappy.

Regarding what what said about getting enet to work on the DS3L - it's easy!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

^ Yeah, unless you need sleep/reboot :P I've been pulling my hair out over fixing these issues for the past week now without any luck. If anybody else has gotten sleep to work, would you please fill out the following template so that those of us without working sleep/reboot can get it going too? Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------

Sleep (Works or Doesn't Work):

If Sleep Works, it comes out of sleep by (pressing keyboard, pressing power button, other?):

Shut Down (Works or Doesn't Work):

Restart (Works or Doesn't Work):

OS Release (Kalyway, BrazilMac, iATKOS, ToH, etc.):

Motherboard Revision (1.0 or 2.0):

BIOS Version (F6, F7, F8A, etc.):

Power Management Setup (please fill in values from BIOS below)

ACPI Suspend Type (S1 or S3):

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN:

PME Event Wake Up:

Power On by Ring:

Resume by Alarm:

HPET Support:

HPET mode:

Power On By Mouse:

Power On By Keyboard:

AC Back Function:

---------------------------------------

Buy the GIGABYTE P35-DS3R motherboard if you have the Q6600 (like me). It runs BLOODY fast. The only thing you need to patch is the ALC889a sound which is dead easy. Just use Kalyway's 10.5.1 and PC_EFI (integrated into the DVD). Dead easy. Pop the disk and install. I'll be making a tutorial on it soon anyways.