buying a mackbook

29 posts in this topic

Ok, so for Christmas I will be buying myself a little gift. This weekend coming up,

im going to get a black Macbook

• 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
  • 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

and you know the rest. Now I want to have Vista Ultimate native boot using bootcamp.

I also will be using TinyXp Beast Edition on parallels. How will it run, how are these little

beasts. I have been wanting to do this for sometime. And of course if i had the money

I would go with the mackbook pro, but not enough money, so its out of the question for

right now, so another time, another day that will happen. Anyways how will this handle?

What do you guys think? Also, apple's care plan, worth the 300 bucks?

yes applecare is worth it but not right away wait until your 12month warranty period is about up to purchase. If i were you i'd get the mbp lowend with no modifications rather than a blackbook the price difference isnt that much if you go refurb or school discount the mbp costs 1700 the blackbook alone is 1500 which the mbp makes up for with graphics card, resolution and the 2gigs standard along with bigger screen and option of anti-glare screen. Either way you'll be happy, as for the tiny xp I have no idea I prefer to boot bootcamp up rather than run parallels.

yes applecare is worth it but not right away wait until your 12month warranty period is about up to purchase.

There is no reason to wait since you get 3 years of coverage from the date of the computer purchase, not the AppleCare purchase. If you are buying extra stuff with the computer, it makes sense to buy AppleCare with the computer, since it will cover Apple accessories as well, such as a monitor, airport base station, RAM, etc. AppleCare for laptops also gives global coverage, in case you need service in another country. Also, while hardware support is included for the first year, only the first 90 days are covered for phone support. AppleCare will cover that for 3 years as well.

awesome awesome, thanks for all the info, if you have anymore please post, im giong to work and will post back later, i think i have made my choice, but Boot Camp, where am i able to buy ram for that price, maybe a link or something :), thanks everybody

There is no reason to wait since you get 3 years of coverage from the date of the computer purchase, not the AppleCare purchase. If you are buying extra stuff with the computer, it makes sense to buy AppleCare with the computer, since it will cover Apple accessories as well, such as a monitor, airport base station, RAM, etc. AppleCare for laptops also gives global coverage, in case you need service in another country. Also, while hardware support is included for the first year, only the first 90 days are covered for phone support. AppleCare will cover that for 3 years as well.

Reason for waiting is because you may not have the computer in a years time thus applecare is not worth the extra purchase depending anyways, I'd prefer to wait. As for RAM check both newegg and tigerdirect but don't look at the mac specified RAM there is both kingston and crucial for less than $50 for 2gigs.

Ok now question, If i install the ram, will it void the warranty/applecare? And if i get say two gigs, then do i need to get another two so the ram that comes with the computer and the ram i put in match?

Well alright i have decided what will happen then, i do appreciate everybodys help.

Im going to get this setup of the Macbook Pro

# 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

# 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

I will then order http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231116

the 2GB of memory for 37 from gskill, and i'll be happy becuase im not spending an extra 700

Thanks again everybody.

The new MacBooks support up to 3GB of RAM. So I suggest getting 1 2GB stick and 1 1GB stick.
The new ones use the Santa Rosa chipset based on the 965p, and can use up to 4GB.
so if i bought two 2 gig sticks from newegg, and put them in, it should start up fine no problem, being that i just replaced all of the original ram :D
Yes, but if it doesn't work at first, don't fret. You have to push pretty hard to get the RAM into the MacBooks. I really don't like the new way of doing it, even if it is a cool and innovative way. It was always much easier to just remove a little cover on the bottom and plug it in.Just make sure you have the notch lined up. You don't want to push hard on RAM that's being installed backwards! Just look at which side the notch is on wen you remove the old RAM.

Well alright i have decided what will happen then, i do appreciate everybodys help.

Im going to get this setup of the Macbook Pro

# 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

# 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

I will then order http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231116

the 2GB of memory for 37 from gskill, and i'll be happy becuase im not spending an extra 700

Thanks again everybody.

He said he was going with a MacBook Pro which allows up to 4GB. There's install guide in booklet as well as youtube videos if your curious on how to install.

i got 4gb of g-skill for $99 the other day at newegg, might as well max out your ram while it's cheap

do you think ram prices are likely to increase? ive just bought a new macbook and id be annoyed if they did and i hadnt bought any.

well tonight, i just walked in to the apple store at about 8:00pm.. and then said, i need two macbook pro's 2.4 config's.. the guys jaw dropped, and i laughed... he was like just wondering whos that for, what do you do.. anyways, i was declined, come to find out... my card has a $3000 dollar limit, so i got one and a printer, got my iphone replaced, bc just so happens that today i had dropped but no physical damage to the case... so walked out with a brand new iphone, no hassel, and new macbook, said i'll be back tommorow to get one more... :) im so happy, and then i think the next day, i will be buying the ram, now its time to find some software :(

:)...lol idk this is my fourth one... and the screen never shattered, loss the multi touch thing twice, earpiece messed up last time, and cant remember the other one... well anyways i got my pro book yesterday.. and pretty stoked, kinda weird, tiger was installed, and there's just a leopard cd in the box... anyways im happy, and will be gettting the ram soon... now i need to find software for it tho... seems that um cough cough pirating isnt as popular; it seems as it is in pc's. i may be wrong