$500 for a Hackintosh !WHAT SHOULD I GET!

14 posts in this topic

It's time for me to buy a new PC & also wanted a Mac till I fount out about this. Anyway i'm working with a $500 budget. I'll be using this system to surf the net,download music/videos,burn cds/dvds & design images for custom t-shirt printing. This must include a nice size HD & dvd burner. I also wanna install some Adobe products for my shirt/sign designs. Now the question is should I just buy a system from lets say Dell or HP or should I just custom build one ? If I go the custom way I already got a case so that wont be needed. I posted acouple of systems I been looking at already but I dont have clue on if they'll work with this or not.

Dell Vostro 200 Slim Tower - http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...dtsae&s=bsd

Dell Inspiron 530s - http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...CWFA2&s=dhs

or one of these HP models -

HP Pavilion a6120n - $459.99

HP Pavilion a6110n - $399.99

HP Pavilion a6130n - $499.99

I fount those @ HP outlet.

I wanna get this system done before xMas.

Get another $100 and buy a mac-mini. :P

Seriously, he's right. Eat Ramen for another two weeks, and get a real Mac. In addition to alleviating the headache of installing Leopard and the EFI bootloader, a Mac Mini is also going to get you a lot more hardware for your dough, so it's win-win. Are you a college student? You can get a Mini for $550 if you are in school.

I consider OSX86 to be something that you switch to as a last resort escape-hatch from Microsoft. I would never build a machine specifically around OSX86.

Hey, you may want to check out my rig I built. It's a cheap, fast hackintosh and is as compatible as you can get.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69298

You can defiantly get this setup for under $500 if you shop Newegg.com & eBay

There are plenty of ways to cut costs on your build. It just depends on the kind of parts you want to put into it.

I'd say go with making a hackintosh just for the experience. There is just something gratifying about seeing the first bootup of OS X on your computer. It will really blow your mind! ;)

-Stell

stellarola,

The motherboard you used you can't buy new at Newegg and other popular places. It works well I hear and I considered it but you can't buy it new anymore.

Even if you do build a machine specifically for OSx86 (which isn't a bad thing) theres still a LOT more you can do with it than just OSx86.

stellarola,

The motherboard you used you can't buy new at Newegg and other popular places. It works well I hear and I considered it but you can't buy it new anymore.

Even if you do build a machine specifically for OSx86 (which isn't a bad thing) theres still a LOT more you can do with it than just OSx86.

I was checking that today. I know a lot of people have picked this board up based on mine and Onetrack's recommendation. The board IS still available. Just google the name of the board. I saw about 3 other online stores that were carrying it for about $54.99.

-Stell

I'd say go with making a hackintosh just for the experience. There is just something gratifying about seeing the first bootup of OS X on your computer. It will really blow your mind! ;)

Very true :)

I was checking that today. I know a lot of people have picked this board up based on mine and Onetrack's recommendation. The board IS still available. Just google the name of the board. I saw about 3 other online stores that were carrying it for about $54.99.

This is my opinion: don't save money on your motherboard, it is the core and the future of your PC (I mean, future upgrades depend on your mobo). Save on anything else, if you are on a budget.

Exactly. You can even use it as a gaming rig.