[HowTo] Building my first OSx86 box...

bofors

549 posts in this topic

NEVER update OSx86 with Software Update. That is for real Macs, not Hackintoshes. It will almost surely hose your installation.

Really there is no good real reason to bother with 10.4.7, but if you feel like screwing with it use a patch.

Hi bofors. Thank you for your help. Let me ask you, I created one partition of 10GB where I installed OSX and the left over is a FAT32 one. How do I merge both together without loosing data or having to reinstall? Is there a program I can use? How do you format a HD? Thanks in advance.

I do not think there is a simply way to go about resizing partitions in OSx86 yet. I format and parition using OS X's Disk Utility.app. It can be accessed from the OS X installation disk.

I usually use 20 GB partitions for OS X installations and also add several larger data partitions on my HDD's. I think your best bet is just to repartition your disk and reinstall OS X.

This is probably old news, but

I set up 2 200gig IDE drives in USB external enclosures for use in a RAID.

I had them formatted, but couldn't add them to my RAID. I then connected them to my MacBook Pro and still couldn't add them to my RAID.

Then I erased them both. I was able to add them to the RAID, named the RAID and created it. Once finished, I shut down my MacBook Pro, and connected the drives to my Intel Box, and they appeared as a RAID there.

Copying all my stuff over.

Once that's done, I want to be able to test the rebuild feature. I want to remove one of the drives, and substitute another drive and rebuild the raid.

cheers

This is probably old news, but...

That is basically consistent with my findings, however I would have expected your USB RAID to work in your original setup because my experience indicated that FireWire RAID would. Furthermore, it also appeared to be that USB Flashdrives could be configure as RAID arrays in hacked OSx86.

I think we are still stuck with the problem of not being able to boot off RAID arrays.

Hi,

Last Night and this morning, I did read this topic and iam very pleased with the great patience that people have here for the many first OSx86 box builders.

Thanks for this topic.

I did create a list a few days back with the Items that I would like to use, and want to build this into a existing case.

two drives

2 Gb ram

DVD writer

Pent. D805

Maybe xtra video card.

Intel D945gntlkr Mobo

No haevy load like games. Just developing and SoHo work.

Bofor and others

Do you think that a 350w power unit will do?

Do you think that when I insert a 1Gb x2 in the first two slots and a 256Mb in the last slot that I will have 2Gb continuous?

If I use a second graphic card, can I turn off the internal and use the whole 4Gb address space ( of course wit 4GbRam )?

Can you tell me the height of the board is with the processor and cooler and without ( with just the other parts )?

I couldnt find it in the intel docs.

cararllo wrote

I've finally reinstalled and everything works properly now! My HD is ATA if you remember, and this is my full benchmark with exactly your config. except for the 2Gb. of ram.

Did you use the same three partition scheme or...

What about two booting osx partitions on that disk, how does someone change from boot partition?

Is there a topic about this?

EDIT: Yes there is http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...uides#Dual_Boot:thumbsdown_anim:

If this project works then I would try to install the server version for a second project, any word about this?

Thanks

Do you think that a 350w power unit will do?

Yes.

Do you think that when I insert a 1Gb x2 in the first two slots and a 256Mb in the last slot that I will have 2Gb continuous?

Yes, but you may lose dual-channel RAM speed with a 3 DIMM configuration. I mean you would probably be better off just leaving that 256 MB stick out.

If I use a second graphic card, can I turn off the internal and use the whole 4Gb address space ( of course wit 4GbRam )?

No, the 945G chipset appears to the amount of RAM availble to the OS to about 3.25 GB. I do not think that turning of the GMA950 in BIOS will have any affect on this.

If this project works then I would try to install the server version for a second project, any word about this?

I do not think that OS X Server has been even been released for x86 (let alone hacked).

Thank you

I do not think that OS X Server has been even been released of x86 (let alone hacked).

:smoke: What was I thinking??

Anyway, anyone anything about the height?

What about CHUD? Did you work with it?

Thanks

Edited by whoopi

Here is my current Xbench. I cheated a little bit by running it on a small RAID parition near the edges of my Raptors that I plan to use a swap partition. The real issue here is that I can not boot off the RAID pair.

This is with Beam Sync. disabled:

Results	117.48	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.2
	System Version		10.4.5 (8G1454)
	Physical RAM		4096 MB
	Model		ADP2,1
	Drive Type		SwapRAID
CPU Test	61.64	
	GCD Loop	85.40	4.50 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	72.52	1.72 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	44.38	1.46 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	59.32	10.33 Mops/sec
Thread Test	154.14	
	Computation	139.48	2.83 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	172.25	7.41 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	104.26	
	System	84.50	
		Allocate	53.25	195.53 Kalloc/sec
		Fill	122.05	5934.26 MB/sec
		Copy	117.26	2421.92 MB/sec
	Stream	136.06	
		Copy	132.05	2727.34 MB/sec
		Scale	132.92	2746.09 MB/sec
		Add	140.90	3001.51 MB/sec
		Triad	138.80	2969.37 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	111.63	
	Line	99.29	6.61 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	92.92	27.74 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	94.72	7.72 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	96.07	2.42 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	334.32	20.91 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	182.80	
	Spinning Squares	182.80	231.89 frames/sec
User Interface Test	201.28	
	Elements	201.28	923.76 refresh/sec
Disk Test	126.81	
	Sequential	167.35	
		Uncached Write	185.95	114.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	251.81	142.48 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	95.03	27.81 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	248.12	124.70 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	102.08	
		Uncached Write	44.25	4.68 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	247.42	79.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	136.93	0.97 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	190.68	35.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Why is the height important? Are you trying to stuff a normal board into a small space?

Yep, I would like to build it into a smaal case.

The height of the processor including cooler is important for me.

Do you have it for me please?

THNX

bofors,

can you tell me what is the cheap working cpu for osx86 (sse3) I can buy for the same mobo you are using?

Something like a Celeron D 331, but shop around online to find the best deal.

Intel Celeron 336 2.8Ghz is this okay?

and, also, Can I use ATA hd for the osx86?

thanks.

Yes and yes.

Bofors, a new one: can you use dual displays? :dev::D:huh:

Yes, I am running two in extended desktop mode. All you need is an ADD2-N card, which outputs DVI (note VGA adaptors will not work), to go with a GMA motherboard. I do not know if anyone has tried it with an Asus ATI x1600 or not.

Bofors,

Probably you have seen me in these forums before, i try to help as much as i can, i have 100% working my system on signature but as i now in love with macs i am building another one for my wife, anyway i brought same mainboard and memory and dvd, everything as you (2 GB only) and used a D940 and a SATAII 160 GB HD.

I have been having these erratic problemes: (using JAS 10.4.6)

- Cant found root device, (an small prohibited logo in top of the apple grey boot screen)

If i reset it two or three times it boots properly and works perfectly, but i dont feel the system as fast as the one in my sig, especially the HD.

Other thing is in my Sig mobo i have this result in system profiler

spsata_sata_bus:

WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0:

Capacity: 298.09 GB

Model: WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0

Revision: 21.00M21

Serial Number: WD-WCAPD1431978

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

Mac HD:

Capacity: 298.09 GB

Available: 82.29 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s1

Mount Point: /

But in the new mobo the system profiler for serial ata is still blank. I feel like its isnt properly working.

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance

i brought same mainboard and memory and dvd, everything as you (2 GB only) and used a D940 and a SATAII 160 GB HD.

I have been having these erratic problemes: (using JAS 10.4.6)

- Cant found root device, (an small prohibited logo in top of the apple grey boot screen)

If i reset it two or three times it boots properly and works perfectly, but i dont feel the system as fast as the one in my sig, especially the HD.

Other thing is in my Sig mobo i have this result in system profiler

spsata_sata_bus:

WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0:

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

But in the new mobo the system profiler for serial ata is still blank. I feel like its isnt properly working.

What do you think about it?

I think the problem might be in the BIOS. First, did you update the BIOS with lastest from Intel? Next, have you set the BIOS to AHCI mode for the SATA drive to be handled natively?

Ok, THANKS for the quick response man.

I will try to update the bios when im back at home tonite, and i will try setting to AHCI, BTW how do i read my bios version? i assume tab will clear the intel logo splash screen... My problem is exact like the one COREME talk to you about...

In other things my mobo in the sig doesnt say sata II anywhere in osx should i see something in information in disk util cause i didnt see anything, im cheking right now.

THANKS!!!!!

I will try to update the bios when im back at home tonite, and i will try setting to AHCI, BTW how do i read my bios version? i assume tab will clear the intel logo splash screen...

I think it comes up on the splash screen, otherwise it should be readable on the main BIOS screen itself.

My problem is exact like the one COREME talk to you about...

Then you probably check and make sure that you board has the BIOS jumper installed (and set to the correct position).

In other things my mobo in the sig doesnt say sata II anywhere in osx should i see something in information in disk util cause i didnt see anything, im cheking right now.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking me here, but as far as I know OS X does not say anything about SATA II (speed).

Bofors, is there any program that allows you to monitor the CPU temperature from within OS X? Because the widgets don't seem to work... And when I click on the finder icon on the dock, it freezes..any suggestions or ideas? Thank you!

I looked into the temp. monitoring situation in some detail several months ago. Basically, it looked like someone needs to do a simple port of a low level BSD (unix) command line program to read the sensors (or in a worst case scenerio also write a very simple driver as well). Once sensors data is availble to the system, displaying it in the GUI, whether in a dashboard widget, dock, main menubar, or independant window is pretty straight forward.

So no, there is no solution yet as far as I know, but it should be something that is really easy to do. Perhaps another "X-labs" project should be started for it.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Hello bofors! I was wondering if you can tell me if I am doing something wrong when installing my printer. It is a Windows printer that I've shared, a HP 2175 PSC. I'm able to find it, but I don't see it in the dropdown list for HP printers. I know the driver is there somewhere because when I connect the printer directly to the Hackingtosh it sees it and installs it perfectly but not when I try to install it from my PC. I appreciate your time.

post-43528-1154134086_thumb.png

would a conroe chip socket 775 be compatible with the bofors motherboard?

My understanding is the Conroe will require a 975/965 chipset on the motherboard. The board in this forum is a 945 chipset board with support for Pentium D processors.