[HowTo] Building my first OSx86 box...

bofors

549 posts in this topic

Frankly, I would just stick with the default ("SPD") timings, which is CAS Latency (CL) 4 for that RAM. So in BIOS, the "Automatic" setting should yield a timing of 4-X-X, where the "X's" are replaced with whatever the default values are for that RAM.

I am not postive, but I believe you will be limited to two devices on the IDE bus, a "master" and a "slave".

However, it may be possible for you to use a PCI IDE card to add more.

Another option, but I haven't seen it lately is a converter which takes an IDE drive and converts it to SATA.

I saw them at Microcenter a long time ago, but I don't know if they are still offered.

I think it will.

Replace yours with this one, use this commands:

udo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

and

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

Restart and it should be it! Good luck!

thanks, works perfect now

Another option, but I haven't seen it lately is a converter which takes an IDE drive and converts it to SATA.

I saw them at Microcenter a long time ago, but I don't know if they are still offered.

yeah i think im gonna check those out

I changed my Hard disk to a Hitachi Deskstar 7kt250 but my xbench scores didnt differ they r still the same !!

its still 80

also i disabled quarts extreme but its still not making a difference in my xbench scores.. am i doing some thing wrong ?

I changed my Hard disk to a Hitachi Deskstar 7kt250 but my xbench scores didnt differ they r still the same !!

Xbench is pretty limited when is comes to measuring disk performance so I do not think this is a big deal. Have you tried creating a small partiton on the edge of disk for speed?

also i disabled quarts extreme but its still not making a difference in my xbench scores.. am i doing some thing wrong ?

You do not want to disable Quartz Extreme but rather Beam Sychronization.

It also might help is you post your Xbench results.

Your Hitachi is sometimes shipped with the SATA II instruction set being disabled for improved compatibility. If so, you need to download a utility ("Feature Tool") from here:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

to make it a real SATA II harddisk.

Xbench is pretty limited when is comes to measuring disk performance so I do not think this is a big deal. Have you tried creating a small partiton on the edge of disk for speed?

You do not want to disable Quartz Extreme but rather Beam Sychronization.

It also might help is you post your Xbench results.

yes i created a small 20 gb partition first and installed osx on it ,, i also disabled beam syncronization still xbench result are the same ill post the results in a while

Your Hitachi is sometimes shipped with the SATA II instruction set being disabled for improved compatibility. If so, you need to download a utility ("Feature Tool") from here:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

to make it a real SATA II harddisk.

im downloading it now and will make the necessary changes and then get back with results

I do not use sleep mode and I not surprised that you are having problems with it to the extent that it might require Apple's firmware.

when i shut down my computer my speakers play this bassy crackling noise that teeters off. any ideas on what is causing it?

I believe I have the same problem, although I would describe it a little differently, more like a pop, perhaps do to speaker differences.

It is clear that support for our SigmaTel 9220 audio chips is flawed with output coming off the wrong jack and such. I attribute it to an incompatibility in the AppleHDA.kext or someother related audio driver, and perhaps the fact that we are not using Apple firmware.

Hi Bofors- I've been following your thread for awhile and have decided to build a box based on your parts-

I'm a long-time Mac user so the build-it-yourself thing is alot to absorb but hopefully I can get it all sorted out in the next few weeks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you think 2 separate DVI displays could be used if two of the silicon image cards were installed? (I believe the board has 2 PCIe slots?)

Cheers,

Lukas

I really doubt that using two ADD2 cards would work because I think the GMA/ADD2 system was designed only with one in mind.

The other thing is that on these Intel D945 boards, there is one 16x PCIe slot while the other PCIe slots are only 1x speed.

So, even if the GMA/ADD2 system does support multiply ADD2 cards, is 1x PCIe fast enough? Probably.

Does the motherboard treat the single 16x PCIe differently for graphics cards than the 1x PCIe? I think I have seen some statements in the BIOS setup that might indicated this.

There are a lot of OS X GUI modifications available, I do not use any of them but some certainly are worth considering.

In particular, PathFinder is worth looking at. It is a complete replaced for the OS X's built-in Finder. It has tons of features (too many, in fact), like the ability to place a Trash icon on the Desktop.

Anyway, a brand new version has just been released which is now Universal (version 4.1), so some people here might want to check it out:

http://www.cocoatech.com/pf4/

Also, a OSx86Project thread on PathFinder has been started here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14590

Thanks for the info about the dual DVI, much appreciated.

I'll post some pictures when my box is done, it will be in a 4U rackmount enclosure (DAW for audio).

If there's any progress with your onboard RAID do tell!

Cheers,

Lukas

I'll post some pictures when my box is done, it will be in a 4U rackmount enclosure (DAW for audio).

Great, I might be building some racks too, but probably 2U's.

If there's any progress with your onboard RAID do tell!

Absolutely. I am being to think the solution to RAID is to use Apple's EFI firmware as otherwise I see no reason why it should not work on these machines.

This guy has a nice case and a working RAID 0 under OSX86. Not sure but I think he has a MSI mobo with 915G chipset. Maybe its the Southbridge ICH7 on 945G chipsets (ICH6 on 915Gs), which prevents a RAID setup.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=10904

Absolutely. I am being to think the solution to RAID is to use Apple's EFI firmware as otherwise I see no reason why it should not work on these machines.

I do not use sleep mode and I not surprised that you are having problems with it to the extent that it might require Apple's firmware.

i went into power save and scheduled the computer to boot up at a certain time and then shut down the computer. it booted from powerdown just fine. this makes me think that there is a way to fix the sleep problem with messing with efi. no?

I believe I have the same problem, although I would describe it a little differently, more like a pop, perhaps do to speaker differences.

It is clear that support for our SigmaTel 9220 audio chips is flawed with output coming off the wrong jack and such. I attribute it to an incompatibility in the AppleHDA.kext or someother related audio driver, and perhaps the fact that we are not using Apple firmware.

when i turn the computer on i hear a pop as soon as i push the power button. also i hear the crackling sound after the computer has fully shut down. how is osx involved in either scenario?