[How to] Asus P5E-VM HDMI [VMODS & LEO]

Allsop

101 posts in this topic

P5E-VM HDMI Guide and Vmods

The new P5E-VM HDMI is a good choice for Leopard though the integrated

Lan doesn't have any drivers.

But you can always use a cheap PCI or PCI-E Lan controller.

I've ordered a SK-9E21D PCI-E which is fully supported by Leo by default.

post-7450-1195866137.jpg

Specs

Model: P5E-VM HDMI

Chipset: Intel G35/ICH9R

Memory: DDR2 800/667/533MHz

FSB: 1333/1066/800MHz

VGA: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3500 integrated - Might work with GMAX3100 kexts.

Audio: Realtek 883 - Works

LAN: Atheros L1 PCI-E Gigabit LAN - Doesn't work

IEEE 1394: VIA VT6308P 2 x IEEE 1394 - Works

USB: 12 x USB 2.0 ports - Works

EXP Slot: 1x PCI-E x16 l 2x PCI-E x1 l 1 PCI

SATA: 6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port - All 6 works in AHCI and ICH9 mode but not raid.

PATA: JMB368 2 x PATA - Works.

Hi Allsop,

First off, thank you very much for the info. I found this thread very helpful in building my hackintosh HTPC (P5E-VM HDMI). One question, are you able to get yours to sleep? When I try the mouse pointer disappears and the screen just locks up.

Hi Allsop,

First off, thank you very much for the info. I found this thread very helpful in building my hackintosh HTPC (P5E-VM HDMI). One question, are you able to get yours to sleep? When I try the mouse pointer disappears and the screen just locks up.

Wake up after sleep works perfectly for me, mouse, keyboard and usb bluetooth are initialized properly.... :D

In bios I have S3 & S2 set to 'Auto' and ACPI 2 'Enabled'

No Luck w/ SK-9E21D PCI-E NIC. Weird, I tried a Kalyway & Iatkos install. The device and vendor id plists (9E00 & 1148) seemed to be covered in the IONetWorkingFamily.kext (AppleYukon2.kext Plugin). Do I need to change something in IONetWorkingFamily.kext? The card works fine with Linux- that's where I got device & vendor id's. Anyone else using this card with P5E-VM HDMI? Allsop any clues?

Hey, so I need a little help. I've downloaded the files posted. Now I have no idea what to do with it. I am very new to this whole thing so any help is highly appreciated. After I've booted into the the CD and I've formatted the entire hard drive Mac OS extended (journal) what be the next step??

Thanks

Hello,

I just finally finished building my Hackintosh based off of this board (5 months to get all the parts, lol...).

My specs are as followed:

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI Latest beta bios

CPU: e6850 C2D 3.0 GHz 1333 MHs FSB @ 3.6 GHz 1600 FSB without vdroop mod (Air-cooled).

Memory: G.Skill DDRII 800 5-5-5-15 @ DDRII 960 4-4-4-12

Video Card: MSI 8500GT HDMI Low Profile w/ 256MB

Lan: Rosewill 10/100/1000Mbps PCIe RC-401-EX

Install method: Kalyway 10.5.2 Vanilla

Patches used:

nVinject 256

ALC883

I have everything running 100%

I just have a few annoying problems.

After I reboot, or start from shutdown state, or recover from sleep mode; my mouse or keyboard will be disconnected. I have to reconnect them to get them working again.

Another issue, is sometimes; when I tell it to restart, it won't repost the system (Staring at a blank black screen).

Another is a shutdown issue. Sometimes it won't shut the computer off. It will shut down the OS, Dump the memory, and shutdown the Hard disks, but it wont switch my power supply off. So all my fans in the system are still running.

I'm thinking of getting this board in the summer for a SFF pc/hackintosh build... does anyone know if there is any way to get the RAID working? I read that other boards have been able to work around using RAID 0 by installing onto the RAID config from a working install. Any ideas?

the onboard lan now works with this board here is the kext install with kext helper tag cache rebuild reboot and enjoy your 1gbit lan

Awesome! All we need now is the onboard video to work. I guess there's not much hope for that, short of Apple releasing a new line of macbooks with X3500's in them.

the onboard lan now works with this board here is the kext install with kext helper tag cache rebuild reboot and enjoy your 1gbit lan

Great! Works perfectly on my ASUS board. Many thanks!

Now I'm just missing a driver for the GMA X3500. The provided X3100 driver just displays resolution 1280x1024 (no more, no less). I need 1680x1050px. Anyone knows what to do?

Best,

macphish

Now I'm just missing a driver for the GMA X3500. The provided X3100 driver just displays resolution 1280x1024 (no more, no less). I need 1680x1050px. Anyone knows what to do?

You're able to get 1280x1024? What distro are you using (Me: Kalyway)? Did you have to do anything fancy to have the onboard video recognized?

You're able to get 1280x1024? What distro are you using (Me: Kalyway)? Did you have to do anything fancy to have the onboard video recognized?

Hi,

I installed iATKOS 10.5.1 R2 and haven't done anything fancy for onboard video recognition. I just selected during Leopard-Install in the Customize-Options the Intel GMX3100 video driver.

Hi,

I installed iATKOS 10.5.1 R2 and haven't done anything fancy for onboard video recognition. I just selected during Leopard-Install in the Customize-Options the Intel GMX3100 video driver.

Cool, thanks! A couple more questions....

Is the onboard sound recognized and is your s/pdif port working with full 5.1 suround sound?

Are you connecting your screen via the HDMI->DVI dongle, or just a direct HDMI cable?

If via straight HDMI, is your digital sound carried across?

Cool, thanks! A couple more questions....

Is the onboard sound recognized and is your s/pdif port working with full 5.1 suround sound?

Are you connecting your screen via the HDMI->DVI dongle, or just a direct HDMI cable?

If via straight HDMI, is your digital sound carried across?

sound works after installing P5EVMHDMI.zip (posted earlier in this thread), my monitor is connected via direct hdmi cable, digital sound isn't carried through hdmi, yet.

Haven't tested s/pdif port...

Best,

macphish

I have been following this thread with interest. I was wondering what you all thought of this motherboard.

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DG35EC/index.htm

It looks like it is very similar to the P5E-VM; however, it is genuine intel and does not have HDMI. I looked at the prices and it is quite a bit less expensive as well.

Thanks!

This is unrelated, but is there any way to force a higher refresh rate for my CRT monitor? I'm using the built-in X3500 and of course it only does 1024x768 / 60Hz but if possible, I'd like to use 85Hz or 100Hz.