[How to] Asus P5E-VM HDMI [VMODS & LEO]

Allsop

101 posts in this topic

Yes, shutdown, sleep, restart all work perfectly on kalyway 10.5.2. I at first used iAtkos but it didn't work very well. So I installed using Kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla install. I then installed the kext files listed on this topic.

My config:

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI

CPU: Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz

RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 800

Video: GF8500GT-LE256H

LAN: WLI-U2-KG54 (needed to use specific driver: RT2500 http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;&do=findComment&comment=112123)

Installed perfectly Using Kalyway 10.5.2

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=100001

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I just ordered that board, I hope this was not a mistake coz my finances are low at the moment and can't afford to swap again soon.

Any news on the X3500 support?

I understand that everything else is now supported and mostly vanilla stuff too, which is cool.

Here is my order;

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Socket 775 1333

DDR2 2GB (2x1GB) PC-6400C4, CL4-4-4-12, 800MHz, CorsairTWIN2X2048-6400C4

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7200 - BX80571E7200 - Box CPU - Socket LGA775

Then I will put my old 250GB SATA in as well as my Broadcom WiFi (if I cannot get the internal lan to work)

I really hope I can get the onboard X3500 to work, I heard rumors that the new mac will have this card.. is that true?

What's the shutdown like with dedicated graphics after onboard sound has been patched? Having trouble with my other computers.

Wow i'll guess i'll purchase and be hopeful... obtained a mint condition powermac g4 case with all internals working for £30! stripped it hopefully this board will be the successor :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got my board today and planning to put it in the case tonight with water cooling.

My only thing missing for now is a supported GPU. I wish I had something, but I guess that will have to wait few more weeks.

Any news on the X3500 support?

Anyone tried to tweak the X3100 driver and change all Dev ID to match the X3500?

Just out couriosity, has anyone managed to get the onboard nic working on the P5E-VM HDMI? I really want to install OS X but I don't have a compatible network card.

EDIT: I just finished reading the entire thread. Looks like it works. Great :D

Has anyone ran a 45nm yorkfield quad on this mobos? they have 12mb l2 cache & 1333mhz FSB so performance should be up their with one of the Mac Pro Cpus (not saying it is the same performance).

I'm building a new hack with this mobo since i have a q6600 in my dell i want to step it up a bit now, its a Q9450.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
P5E-VM HDMI Guide and Vmods

The new P5E-VM HDMI is a good choice for Leopard though the integrated

Lan doesn't have any drivers.

But you can always use a cheap PCI or PCI-E Lan controller.

I've ordered a SK-9E21D PCI-E which is fully supported by Leo by default.

post-7450-1195866137.jpg

Specs

Model: P5E-VM HDMI

Chipset: Intel G35/ICH9R

Memory: DDR2 800/667/533MHz

FSB: 1333/1066/800MHz

VGA: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3500 integrated - Might work with GMAX3100 kexts.

Audio: Realtek 883 - Works

LAN: Atheros L1 PCI-E Gigabit LAN - Doesn't work

IEEE 1394: VIA VT6308P 2 x IEEE 1394 - Works

USB: 12 x USB 2.0 ports - Works

EXP Slot: 1x PCI-E x16 l 2x PCI-E x1 l 1 PCI

SATA: 6 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s port - All 6 works in AHCI and ICH9 mode but not raid.

PATA: JMB368 2 x PATA - Works.

Vmods

Since this board suffers from a huge vdroop it might not be the best OC option ATM.

But that might change with a new bios release from Asus.

Further down I'll show you how to fix this issue and get a correct vcore reading when set in bios..

Don't attempt these mods if you don't know what you are doing and be careful when trimming in

vcore with the VR resistor.

P5E-VM HDMI Voltage options

CPU Voltage: 1.7V max - Gives real 1.48V or 1.58 with Pencil mod. Or higher with Vcore mod.

CPU Voltage Reference: [0.63x] - [0.57x]

CPU Voltage Damper: [Enable] - [OFF] - Not working, hence vdroop.

PLL Voltage: [1.50V] - [1.78V]

DRAM Voltage: [1.8] - [2.44V]

FSB Termination Voltage: [1.20V] - [1.50V]

North Bridge Voltage: [1.25V] - [1.71V]

North Bridge Voltage Reference: [0.67x] - [0.61x]

South Bridge Voltage: [1.05V] - [1.20V]

Ver. 1, Vdroop mod

post-7450-1195868113_thumb.jpg

Ver. 2, Vcore mod. 1.8v or over

post-7450-1203098733_thumb.jpg

Note that this isn't for unexperienced users!

These drivers are now a bit old, but still works in 10.5.2

Drivers needed for Leopard

I've made a package of the needed kexts:

Important files:

ALCinject.kext - needed for audio

AppleHDA.kext - - ll -

IOATAFamily.kext - Patched by Netkas and ToH to include support to run your 6 SATA ports in enhanced mode.

Increases Read/Write times to your HD with almost 20 Mb/s. Only drawback is longer bootup.

Optional files:

IONetworkingFamily.kext - patched for UUID 35 error by Netkas and ToH. Needed for TM.

IOAHCIFamily.kext - ads AHCI support for the 6 SATA ports. Already included on the Leo DVD

Download here:

P5EVMHDMI.zip

Simplified Instructions

Delete your corresponding kexts in your Leo 10.5 och 5.1 Extension folder before adding these,

otherwise they might be modified with new data or even corrupt.

You also need to remove AppleAzalia.kext for proper HDA detection.

Repair permissions for the Extensions folder then sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions.

Good Luck everyone!

I was able to get my on board lan working with this driver without any problem!

Attansic_L1_Ethernet.zip

Board working great.

Here is my current setup;

P5E-VM HDMI

Intel E7200 OC'ed to 3.81GHz (50% Overclocked), FSB 400 ... also 50% overclocked

BFG nVidia 8600GT 512MB OC (20% overclocked)

Kingwin AWC-1 Water Cooling System for CPU/GPU

Xoxide Case with extra side fan and clear side panel

To install Retail Leopard DVD follow this link;

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry866994

Also included in the link above is the latest BIOS 602 with the Apple Logo to replace that default (ugly) logo screen.

Also the BIOS settings I use at 3.81GHz (Saved CMOS format)

Have a look and let me know if it works for you.

What is left to be done is to figure out a way to have the SATA controller send events to Leopard when a device is hotplug into SATA/eSATA as the new BIOS 604 does allow that.

Hi!

Used JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 ISO with my P5E-VM HDMI.

Two problems still exist:

1. LAN: I used AttansicL1Ethernet.zip and the onboard LAN gets recognize but I always get a "cable unplugged" message.

2. Grafic: The x3500 almost workes out of the box and is usable for desktop work. But I guess not everything is supported. For example: If I install and run plex (mac xbmc fork) I only get a white screen. No opengl?

Any help would be nice! Thanx!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something odd about the audio on Asus p5e-vm HDMI, the issue is where CPU TM is turned on , i am actually getting audio quality breakdown , on multi process with this enabled, When i shut it off everything is all good.

I really just want to know if anyone else has had this issue I do not recall having this issue when i had a Q9450 , I am running 8GB ram with a Q9750, clocked to 4.0Ghz.

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I just finally finished building my Hackintosh based off of this board (5 months to get all the parts, lol...).

My specs are as followed:

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI Latest beta bios

CPU: e6850 C2D 3.0 GHz 1333 MHs FSB @ 3.6 GHz 1600 FSB without vdroop mod (Air-cooled).

Memory: G.Skill DDRII 800 5-5-5-15 @ DDRII 960 4-4-4-12

Video Card: MSI 8500GT HDMI Low Profile w/ 256MB

Lan: Rosewill 10/100/1000Mbps PCIe RC-401-EX

Install method: Kalyway 10.5.2 Vanilla

Patches used:

nVinject 256

ALC883

I have everything running 100%

I just have a few annoying problems.

After I reboot, or start from shutdown state, or recover from sleep mode; my mouse or keyboard will be disconnected. I have to reconnect them to get them working again.

Another issue, is sometimes; when I tell it to restart, it won't repost the system (Staring at a blank black screen).

Another is a shutdown issue. Sometimes it won't shut the computer off. It will shut down the OS, Dump the memory, and shutdown the Hard disks, but it wont switch my power supply off. So all my fans in the system are still running.

I just found this thread looking for HDMI TrueHD and DTS-HD audio out under OSX86...

You say above that HDMI Audio out "works".

Have you tried playing a blu-ray rip with either Dolby TrueHD audio or DTS-HD Master tracks?

Before pursuing this board further I would like to confirm that there are indeed OSX drivers

which support high definition audio output over HDMI.

Have you plugged the HDMI into an audio receiver with HDMI inputs, and does it work?

Anyone?

Thanks!

P.S. What about 1920x1080p video?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on this board, and most things seem good, but the firewire is very slow when I plug in my external hard drive. It works, but takes forever to react to most command.

Nobody here notice this behavior on their P5E-VM?

Thxs

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

X3500 update, today I found this post, user thestevo has edited apple's X3100 kexts to work with the X3500 chip.

thesteveo clearly states at the beginning of the post that the kexts he has provided are for tested, however in post #11 he states:

Speedracer - Great! These results are very promising, enough so that I would now classify this chipset as supported.

The kexts he provides were created on a 10.5.4 install and a couple users report failures on earlier versions (specifically 10.5.2), however Speedracer provides steps to get them working in 10.5.4 & 10.5.5.

This looks very promising, though I myself cannot verify that the kexts work as I have not tried them... haven't had time.

Hope this helps,

- Boon

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
works with the steve0 x3100 kext bundle, but i'm having a hell of a time getting my openGL working. I suspect this is why my DVD Player is crashing on me.

I've seen somewhere that OpenGL frameworks need replacing with older versions to get QE/CI to work with the integrated GPU.

Sorry I don't have the reference here right now as it is at home that I found it. It was in a page where I downloaded the Steve0 kext for the X3100

I'm still running 10.5.5 as I'm afraid to upgrade to 10.5.6.

Anyone did the upgrade successfully? I heard that the sound is not working after the upgrade.

works with the steve0 x3100 kext bundle, but i'm having a hell of a time getting my openGL working. I suspect this is why my DVD Player is crashing on me.

But... It works or not?

What is the current status?

How it works? 100%? 80%? 100% but slow?

I have to buy a new pc...

But... It works or not?

What is the current status?

How it works? 100%? 80%? 100% but slow?

I have to buy a new pc...

Personnally I love this mobo.

I have put a better GPU as, when I got mine, the built in GPU was not supported.

This mobo is easy to OC and well supported, so good value for the price.

Just need to know more about the sound and 10.5.6 as I know only one person who tried and could not get the sound working on 10.5.6, but I haven't tried myself yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I am running 10.5.6

I am just about 100% on this board. My bigges peeve is that only my front audio works, and it is distorted. You can't tell at all with desktop speakers to be honest, not at all, but throw in some headphones and it whines and you get what sounds like background noise, like you can hear a fan or something. Very annoying when using earphones. I mentioned that only my front audio works, the back audio doesn't work at all. =)

Any thoughts? Thanks for this wonderful thread that got everything almost working for me! =)

• 7 months later...

hey. i know i sound like a lazy {censored} but can someone plz compile all the working kexts n drivers into 1 download folder plz. also kaly sounds like it runs bttr than iatkos atm is this true and also has anyone installed from retail DVD with boot 132 if so does it work??? last thing any more news on the onboard graphics or a working fix??? thx

iatkos kalyway or retail

• 1 month later...

I tried to connect my Camcorder to the Firewire-port but iDeneb 1.5.7 detects nothing.

dmesg won't show anything from the port, except that OSX put it in full-secure mode.

Any ideas?

I am running 10.5.6

I am just about 100% on this board. My bigges peeve is that only my front audio works, and it is distorted. You can't tell at all with desktop speakers to be honest, not at all, but throw in some headphones and it whines and you get what sounds like background noise, like you can hear a fan or something. Very annoying when using earphones. I mentioned that only my front audio works, the back audio doesn't work at all. =)

Any thoughts? Thanks for this wonderful thread that got everything almost working for me! =)

I know that I had to change output device through system preferences. Tried that? :(