KDE 4.0 Release Candidate 1 released

Alessandro17

21 posts in this topic

The KDE Community is happy to announce the immediate availability of the first release candidate for KDE 4.0. This release candidate marks that the majority of the components of KDE 4.0 are now approaching release quality.

While the final bits of Plasma, the brand new desktop shell and panel in KDE 4, are falling into place, the KDE community decided to publish a first release candidate for the KDE 4.0 Desktop. Release Candidate 1 is the first preview of KDE 4.0 which is suitable for general use and discovering the improvements that have taken place all over the KDE codebase.

Cool. Could be downloaded via Apget-update or something?

Yesterday Kubuntu alert me about some updates, and I click yes to all, never saw what was.

Not sure about Kubuntu, but openSUSE has already released a LiveCD:

http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/

Besides you can easily install KDE4 inside your existing 10.3 install.

(Not trying to advertise openSUSE even more, only reporting what I know).

Now I'm really looking forward to PCLinuxOS 2008 with KDE4. The improvements seem very nice. I never really liked KDE so I'm really curious to see if KDE4 is really a break through.

looking at all the screenies, i dont see much improvement over microsoft... the ui of linux has always been trying to model and chase after micro{censored}... thats the reason why linux will never hit off anywhere.... they need to rethink their ui to make it unique and yet fun and user friendly....

looking at all the screenies, i dont see much improvement over microsoft... the ui of linux has always been trying to model and chase after micro{censored}... thats the reason why linux will never hit off anywhere.... they need to rethink their ui to make it unique and yet fun and user friendly....

The "screenies" are only what it looks like. You can't judge a program before you try it. Once you try it, it doesn't feel anything like Microsoft.

Having said that, KDE4 is still very early stages. They have called this release: RC1, but it feels like a beta to me.

Agree, I am not impressed either by KDE 4...

The first screenshot is an old one. From KDE4 alpha1 or something like that. As far as I am concerned, although I think KDE4 might be really nice when more "mature", I still find it too buggy, and Plasma still lacks some very basic functionalities right now, making it unusable for everyday use. But yet, it's not even released...

Is it just me or is KDE 4 a take on Vista's UI? ;) I mean the Search in the start menu and the widget looking things are all features of Vista.

It's just you. How many different ways can you make an easy to use Desktop Environment? Considering KDE has always had that taskbar-like-bar on the bottom, the only place the search function could really go is down there. I think it works great in the tabbed Kmenu.

I try opensuse live cd and must say that it works like early alpha software not beta and for sure not RC. Huge plus is low memory usage and overall declutter of programs. I like fonts and way that they are render, they look crisp. But i noticed big cpu usage, slow windows render. These imitation of widget are a joke. And this thing instead of dock, don't look like something usable but like placeholder. As for RC 1 I am disappointed. It is so buggy. I don't believe that they will finish in planed time it is to buggy.

I am of the same opinion, but does it matter? It is open source software after all. Important is that the final will be reasonably free from bugs.

I am little disappointed because I want to much from new KDE 4 release. I wont it to replace my mac installation. I am tried of constantly fighting to get mac worked. And crucial things like sleep and speedsteep don't work. Windows is not option for me. I catch myself trying to get windows to work like a mac. It is impossible. And I have no idea from where all these new stupid errors come.

KDE team realize that its project is not only a playground for developers but work environment. They learn form Gnome that they must set boundaries and rules. That they must keep things simple and clean. I see change in way they organize work and are looking at the project. They act more like financial company. They make buzz about project and stick with deadline. There is much more thing to do but to get things rooling project get friezed and is getting debugged. You will see that they will release KDE 4 ass soon as possible even if it will have lots of bugs. As in rule "don't worry be crappy", just get things up and running.

All these is good in the long run. There should be more rapidly updates to the project. It will be best alternative for mac.

I am little disappointed because I want to much from new KDE 4 release. I wont it to replace my mac installation. I am tried of constantly fighting to get mac worked.

I have been back in Linux as my main OS for quite a while now. I am also perfectly happy to use KDE 3.5.8.

I'll start using KDE 4 as my main DE when it feels ready.

• 2 weeks later...
They have called this release: RC1, but it feels like a beta to me.

I am still of the same opinion. However in openSUSE KDE4 it is being upgraded almost daily (I use Smart), and now the overall quality is a lot better. The next RC could be usable.