Possible EFI Implementation booting trought EFI Intel toolkit

133 posts in this topic

Please see original post, I have just edited it.. mytempdir & rapidshare added

(rulez.sk removed - too many downloads)

Hello did you tried the BIOS32 Image?

can you test it? I cant boot that on my emulator, maybe it can run elilo and more efi apps. I cant load elilo!...

And please, if possible can someone send-me the .efi file of Os X 10.4.4?

but only if not breaking the forum rulez. Thanks.

BIOS32.IMG.zip

The forum rules are specific to the DMCA that is only applicable to the TPM chip not EFI.

EFI is merely a new firmware technology that we are working together to try to understand, EFI is not a copy protection scheme or device.

Edited by bofors

It's Good to Know that my post helped, or is helping, thing going further.

I was wondering, after reading the posts, if our existing bios can be updated with EFI.

But Having at look the compatibility of the old bios.

Is this Possible?

We need to have flash images for our boards from vendors... which we don't have, for now.

Doing experiments with flashing custom made ROMs is very dangerous.

Hello did you tried the BIOS32 Image?

can you test it? I cant boot that on my emulator, maybe it can run elilo and more efi apps. I cant load elilo!...

and the result is... :offtopic:

image0063nh.th.jpg

efi panic :idea:

• Like 1

So, It's possible to have our old bios updated to EFI, for what i understood.

I think that this change was being predicted for the board vendors, because i have seen many bios with 4 Mb of space, and, until now, the EFI projects are being constructed with this size.

To me, is just a mater of time , for either the board vendors or us here, implement a a way to have this fully native.

Another thing...

Can some one confirm that the TPM protection, now is located in the EFI

and is much more easy to crack it than was on previous releases of OS X??

Thanks

PS: Have some one already made a copy of the EFI rom, that power's up the Intel iMac??

So, It's possible to have our old bios updated to EFI, for what i understood.

I think that this change was being predicted for the board vendors, because i have seen many bios with 4 Mb of space, and, until now, the EFI projects are being constructed with this size.

To me, is just a mater of time , for either the board vendors or us here, implement a a way to have this fully native.

Another thing...

and is much more easy to crack it than was on previous releases of OS X??

Thanks

PS: Have some one already made a copy of the EFI rom, that power's up the Intel iMac??

This is not really a bios update. You will continue with your bios, but you will load an floopy or CD that boots a EFI implementation that will unload bios, removing its track.

Basically, you just stick a floppy in for EFI implementation, and when you don't want it (such as when booting into Windows XP), you just pop it out?

What does "removing its track" mean in layman'a terms? Does this physically change anything in your systems BIOS temporarily or permanently? Will this method work for proprietary BIOS such as on Sony Vaio desktops?

(sorry for the bombardment of questions. just wanted to get this clear)

Imagine Saturday night:

The club is your computer the door at the entrance is the bios, and you are OSX, or any other System. Before you can get in, you have to talk with the Bouncer. His name is EFI, he is a {censored} and he won't let you in :)

now if you want to leave a message for someone in there, you can give it to EFI. He will tell them, while you are waiting outside.

Edited by xtraa

Hi moondark, i known about this floppy workaround before, by your posts.

What i was asking is if there's the possibility to the board vendors update our current bios with a sort of EFI.

Or this is just for the new EFI chips and boards that are coming to the market?

Thanks for your work on this!

Hi moondark, i known about this floppy workaround before, by your posts.

What i was asking is if there's the possibility to the board vendors update our current bios with a sort of EFI.

Or this is just for the new EFI chips and boards that are coming to the market?

Thanks for your work on this!

Only some intel boards are supported by now - all other vendors are quiet about this.

Information about new EFI replacements are hidden from us - I have feeling vendors are still trying to test/develop. Another thing is.. noone is pushing them to publish updates/info for public.. there is no support for production release operating systems in this time. Only intel is trying to penetrate this technology which is logic, as the founder of this technology. I don't really know when intel will post new bios replacements - efi with csm, but I bet it will be this year. Only thing we can do now is wait for intel to ship new EFI roms for supported boards.

To tell you the truth, I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this is a waste of thread space, but I found this web-page while surfing around. The author found out how to enter the EFI menu on Intel based iMacs.

I thought it might be of some use:

http://nak.journalspace.com/?cmd=displayco...407&entryid=407

If not, I apologize for wasting your time. Cheers!

Hi,

All this stuff is matter of time, and I guess that we need a similar procedure of hacking Bios on Xobx, using some kind of EFI loader, on pre-boot stage like as was said before in this thread.

The EFI implmentation must work like a EFI to BIOS interpreter, please don't pay so much atenttion because I don't know very much about it.

Best Regards,

Tagua....

*What we need to do is try to boot a EFI Operational System, like Mac Os X 10.4.4. (We dont have the DVD yet)

Perhaps you should try getting ahold of a copy of one of the Vista betas to test, since they supposedly support booting on EFI. I'm sure if you look around the newsgroups some, you will come across a copy (I know I did).

Hey forcer, the image simply does not boot.

The floppy BIOS32 image does work, but i don't have a floppy drive, so i will try putting it on usd key drive.

also, is there or is there not a "setup" for efi like there is for BIOS?

i want to access this setup, if it exists. If it doesn't, where could i find such options to edit?

Surely if it takes over BIOS, there must be it's own set of options somewhere...

In particular, i'm looking for any settings to do with the video card.

-Urby

I saw this post at ArsTechnica and thought it looked like something people here need to be aware of (but I am pretty sure this guy meant 10.4.4 not 10.4.3 because there is no such directory on my OSx86 installation):

There's a file called TrustedCerts.pem at /Library/Preferences/EFI in a 10.4.3 machine. It's contents are:

Verisign's root certificate

(Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certificate Authority)

Valid 1/28/1996 - 8/1/2028

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

MIICPDCCAaUCEHC65B0Q2Sk0tjjKewPMur8wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQECBQAwXzELMAkG

A1UEBhMCVVMxFzAVBgNVBAoTDlZlcmlTaWduLCBJbmMuMTcwNQYDVQQLEy5DbGFz

cyAzIFB1YmxpYyBQcmltYXJ5IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5MB4XDTk2

MDEyOTAwMDAwMFoXDTI4MDgwMTIzNTk1OVowXzELMAkGA1UEBhMCVVMxFzAVBgNV

BAoTDlZlcmlTaWduLCBJbmMuMTcwNQYDVQQLEy5DbGFzcyAzIFB1YmxpYyBQcmlt

YXJ5IENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GN

ADCBiQKBgQDJXFme8huKARS0EN8EQNvjV69qRUCPhAwL0TPZ2RHP7gJYHyX3KqhE

BarsAx94f56TuZoAqiN91qyFomNFx3InzPRMxnVx0jnvT0Lwdd8KkMaOIG+YD/is

I19wKTakyYbnsZogy1Olhec9vn2a/iRFM9x2Fe0PonFkTGUugWhFpwIDAQABMA0G

CSqGSIb3DQEBAgUAA4GBALtMEivPLCYATxQT3ab7/AoRhIzzKBxnki98tsX63/Do

lbwdj2wsqFHMc9ikwFPwTtYmwHYBV4GSXiHx0bH/59AhWM1pF+NEHJwZRDmJXNyc

AA9WjQKZ7aKQRUzkuxCkPfAyAw7xzvjoyVGM5mKf5p/AfbdynMk2OmufTqj/ZA1k

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

GTE CyberTrust root certificate

(Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certificate Authority)

Valid 2/23/1996 - 2/23/2006

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

MIIB+jCCAWMCAgGjMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBAUAMEUxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlVTMRgwFgYD

VQQKEw9HVEUgQ29ycG9yYXRpb24xHDAaBgNVBAMTE0dURSBDeWJlclRydXN0IFJv

b3QwHhcNOTYwMjIzMjMwMTAwWhcNMDYwMjIzMjM1OTAwWjBFMQswCQYDVQQGEwJV

UzEYMBYGA1UEChMPR1RFIENvcnBvcmF0aW9uMRwwGgYDVQQDExNHVEUgQ3liZXJU

cnVzdCBSb290MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQC45k+625h8cXyv

RLfTD0bZZOWTwUKOx7pJjTUteueLveUFMVnGsS8KDPufpz+iCWaEVh43KRuH6X4M

ypqfpX/1FZSj1aJGgthoTNE3FQZor734sLPwKfWVWgkWYXcKIiXUT0Wqx73llt/5

1KiOQswkwB6RJ0q1bQaAYznEol44AwIDAQABMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBAUAA4GBABKz

dcZfHeFhVYAA1IFLezEPI2PnPfMD+fQ2qLvZ46WXTeorKeDWanOB5sCJo9Px4KWl

IjeaY8JIILTbcuPI9tl8vrGvU9oUtCG41tWW4/5ODFlitppK+ULdjG+BqXH/9Apy

bW1EDp3zdHSo1TRJ6V6e6bR64eVaH4QwnNOfpSXY

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Like I said before, wouldn't it be nice if MacOSX was signed and the EFI bootloader demanded certain certificates?

Can anybody check what these certificates are?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/fo...38009727731/p/3

Hey forcer, the image simply does not boot.

The floppy BIOS32 image does work, but i don't have a floppy drive, so i will try putting it on usd key drive.

i want to access this setup, if it exists. If it doesn't, where could i find such options to edit?

Surely if it takes over BIOS, there must be it's own set of options somewhere...

-Urby

Does anyone else got same experience ? I tried to burn it in disk utility, nero6 and CDBurnXP and it boots.

Edited by forcer

I saw this post at ArsTechnica and thought it looked like something people here need to be aware of (but I am pretty sure this guy meant 10.4.4 not 10.4.3 because there is no such directory on my OSx86 installation):

Man, it is Adobe Acrobat files :). LOL :).

There are no options; the card is configured correctly from the factory.

The Apple philosophy is, in general, that things should "just work". So they do.

Hi,

i tried the prebuilded elilo-3.5-pre1-ia32.efi from the web site, but it suck.

post-21852-1138470233_thumb.jpg

Then i tried to load a self build 3.6 elilo, but it suck too :-(.

post-21852-1138470245_thumb.jpg

I've used qemu v0.8.0 with a vfat formatted image containing the elilo as hda.

arne

I don't know if this has been said before, but...

Somebody discovered that their iMac had a hidden 200mb FAT partition on their hard drive, which is part of the EFI spec. It appears that this space is used to store some EFI files. As of the moment, the partition is totally empty. But with future OS X updates, we expect to see some new files appear in this partition.

This is part of EFI's extendable functionality. It basically builds upon pre-existing calls by storying new ones in this partition. 200mb is ample space for any added EFI files, which average at about less than 100k each.

Now what does this mean for us? We can use Apple's method against them by creating a 200mb FAT partition on our HDDs that we wish to install 10.4.4 onto. Instead of storing only additional EFI files, the partition would contain ALL EFI files.

It's cleaner than using a floppy or CD to boot from. When Apple rolls out 10.4.5 for Intel, we can expect to see some interesting uses for this partition on the iMacs which can help us understand how this system works.

This looks very promising...

Yes, I have yet to hear any reason why any EFI operating system will not be runnable on a BIOS machine. It seems strickly a matter of moving the EFI firmware on to the disk, now apparently a FAT partition, booting EFI, loading the EFI firmware and then useing an EFI loader to start the operating system.