Possible EFI Implementation booting trought EFI Intel toolkit

133 posts in this topic

Yeah, i dunno whats going on with the forums, but theey really arent needed for development at the moment, when we have a working product they will be useful for feedback and info. but at the moment, the talk is done elsewhere

Thats great. I wish I could help, but without actually knowing anything, I'd just be annoying. Are you working mostly on getting EFI boards to bypass the BIOS emulation, or getting EFI + decrypted Apple EFI modules to boot on BIOS-based hardware?

The sheer w00tage of the potential MacEFIx86 commands does astound even the most casual observer. Godspeed.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone rip EFI bios from intel based mac pc ? i am in need for testing purpose. if someone can please send my. how to do that ? i know only one tool for DOS, its memdump. you sould rip range FF80:0000 - FFFF:FFFF, it's would be 4Mb.

• 4 weeks later...

This whole EFI thing is almost BIOS independent.

As provided the BIOS would allow the EFI (bootloader) to have access to all hardware setup in the system (being the BIOS that only sets up the hardware to be used by and OS. Where the OS in the first state will be the EFI bootloader, grabbing extra drivers to support BIOS (backward compatible for DOS etc) and firmware support (for easy updates? asif hardware is supplied with a "supersimple-bios"?).

Anyway how I see EFI it will work on BIOS systems, just have to boot it and it will (just like most modern OS'es handle hardware directly) work for any EFI compatible bootable OS. Given that there is a FAT partition present (hidden) on the drive for fireware etc.

All we need to figure out now is will the apple EFI from the DVD boot .... noone has it? I might still have the original unpatched "not able to boot" dvd laying around :P

>> not at home now so will check first thing tomorrow and you might be very happy!

Why wont it load and why does it need patching?

As provided EFI is just a subsystem between native BIOS and the OS, which in terms handles specific "framework" driver (or to explain it easier have everything onboard to provide a "working system".

Wouldnt this mean we either have to patch .... OR simply write our own "apple" EFI which allows us to boot the normal EFI files.

I think this is possible, making a EFI "firmware" to kinda let your system know everything is there (given we know what apple expects there to be and NEEDED to boot a normal system).

Still guessing in the dark, will make attempts asap when I arrive home ><

PS: for all I know is we need an EFI program that understands to load the mach kernel, which is boot.efi from the dvd? So what does boot.efi not like about the system? And try to solve it in EFI framework?

• 1 year later...
How to make native Mac boot disks bootable on PC ?

For example:

i have iDefrag Boot CD (for Mac) - can i make it bootable for my BIOS-based Hackintosh ?

Thx

I have the same issue.

I've tried to use iDefrag but without success - it just freezed each time I started it. After a while I read that I have to run iDefrag from a boot disk. I've dowloaded Coriolis CD Maker and create a CD with Mac OS 10.4.8 downloaded from Internet and iDefrag as well. However, I can't boot with with this CD on my Intel PC - it seems that there is no boot section on it or it can't be read on PC.

Could anyone help me with this issue?