iPhone's Keyboard Reliability

Numberzz

12 posts in this topic

Today, yet another study came out with results that contradicted the experience that I have with my iPhone. They say that the iPhone's keyboard is less reliable than other QWERTY keyboards on other phones, such as the Blackjack or Q. But it gets worse, the study shows that the people made more than twice as many errors as the people who had real keyboards. But I smell something fishy. I think the people who tested the iPhone's keyboard were given new iPhones. Therefore, the phone would have no memory of what words that the people type, or what words the study wanted them to type. On my iPhone, which I bought the first day, corrects almost every single mistake that I make, making me type much faster. Although this is making the test fair-er, Apple knew people would type slower and make twice as many as mistakes, which is why they put in the error corrector.

iphone_keyboard.png

Full Story

Well, it takes some getting used to....

I mean, I couldn't type SMS Text messages on a regular 123 Numberpad with any accuracy for a while.

I learned they layout of my TI-83 Calculator, and could type decently on that, but again, I had to spend some time with it.

I struggled with my iPod touch for about 3 hours. Now, I'm getting pretty good with it.

A couple of hours ago I was holding an iPhone in a store and gave the keyboard a try. It seems that it actually takes some getting used to in order to be able to type accurately.

I have used an E61 (nokia, blackberry clone),various Windows Mobile PDAs and I am currently using a P1i (ericsson).

I believe E61 was the fastest of them all and I think it is safe to conclude that full QWERTY BBs perform as well, if not better.

The thing is, I run into other problems with these devices which iPhones autocorrection feature probably effectively solves.

I am slowly becoming (if not already became) an apple fanatic, but I believe that this article is quite objective.

Most of all, it really does not matter being second best if you can that extra screen space when the keyboard is hidden, which is what iPhone offers: a decent input method that does not constantly occupy 30% of your device's front surface

PS: Dan Druff, your quote is going to become my moto, hope you don't mind :stretcher:

I think the people who tested the iPhone's keyboard were given new iPhones. Therefore, the phone would have no memory of what words that the people type, or what words the study wanted them to type.

If you have a full keyboard then you shouldn't make mistakes unless you don't know how to spell something. I have an Ocean and that's got a full keyboard. I haven't made any typing mistakes on it since I got it, except the first hour or so when I was typing too fast for it to keep up. It doesn't have any auto-corrector or anything. I think the testers just don't know how to type. I mean yea the Ocean doesn't have a virtual keyboard, but I remember seeing somewhere how the whole Multi-Touch thing works and it actually drops everything else down (virtually) and wherever your finger is, is what's above the rest of the things. It's like the opposite of contour, since contour is when things form around you. Anyways, since that's how Multi-Touch works, the keyboard is basically the same as a button keyboard.

I haven't had a problem, and I seemed to compensate for the awkward feeling of holding the iPod Touch I own in portrait and typing by holding it in one hand and basically feathering the screen keys with my index, middle, and ring fingers on my other hand. Quite good at it too.

It's all about figuring out the quirks. And if someone can't figure out how to adapt, then of course they will write something negative about something.

I find the virtual keyboard quite good, in the end.

I actually just played with an iPhone for the first time today and I must say that the keyboard's not that bad. I hit a couple letters wrong though but that's cause the buttons are really close. Nonetheless, decent keyboard.

My cousin has the iPhone since May 2007. He's been loving it. I don't know how he can send SMS while drunk (hehe I can't on my Motorola i880) when I'm tipsy/drunk. Well I've got use to my iPod iTouch keyboard after the first few days. I still make some mistakes because I kinda sometimes type short words with buddies on chat and it wants to throw another way instead of the one i want. But hey, I can play music and go online on the same unit. Its not as bulky as the competition (Sidekick, as tiny as the Blackberries). Apple for the win.

But I don't know how its going to look when Google shoots its own.