3 More Get a Mac Adds!

Numberzz

39 posts in this topic

According to Dictionary.com

Hmmm....but isn't a mac also built around a microprocessor for use by an individual, as in an office or at home or school?

Ooookay...

So a PC is only a Mac if it has Mac OSX on it....

What if I download and put Mac OSX on my Windows Computer? Do I technically own a Mac?

Too be honest, these flame wars are getting rather lame, or down right retarded...

You guys keep saying that Macs are great....Even though without Mac OSX, the mac is just a PC... Wow, that is like those retarded people that think their Dell monitor is the computer...

Seriously guys, are acting like freakin idiots...

Do Windows users go around and say Windows is better than a PC...NO! AND YOU KNOW WHY?!?! BECAUSE IT IS TWO FREAKIN' DIFFERENT THINGS!

MAC OSX IS NOT A MAC

TWO FREAKIN DIFFERENT THINGS!

WHEN YOU SAY MAC IS BETTER THAN A PC, all you are literally say is that...

A system with an apple logo is better than a system with...other logos(ex. dell)

Dude, what are you like 12 years old?

People often refer to a computer running windows as a PC. This does not mean they are calling it a personal computer based around a microprocessor, blah blah blah. It just means windows-running computer (99% of the time).

People refer to a Mac as a computer that Apple Inc. manufactures. If you had a MacBook, and just ran windows on it, it would still be a Mac.

If you run OSX on a computer that Apple Inc. do not manufacture, then that is a PC running OSX.

When we say Macs are better than PCs we mean computers manufactured by Apple Inc. are the best on the market, and are better (for a variety of reasons) than another computer running Windows.

I don't know why I feel the need to educate people...

commercials are meant to interest, or inform someone into buying something.
They make attention, and they do actually what this line is saying. It is not working on everyone, but the subtle message is actually very clear. These are series of commercials, in which each and everyone would make a point of some small things which would frustrate a pc user but be ok on a mac computer. All these are small drops that will eventually change the mind of someone deciding for what to buy.
commercials are meant to interest, or inform someone into buying something.
They make attention, and they do actually what this line is saying. It is not working on everyone, but the subtle message is actually very clear. These are series of commercials, in which each and everyone would make a point of some small things which would frustrate a pc user but be ok on a mac computer. All these are small drops that will eventually change the mind of someone deciding for what to buy.

That's fun, when precisely it's Mac OS the one that won't work on anything but Mac hardware

Well thats because it's made to be like that and has big advantages for the platform, no legacy baggage, optimized for top level hardware, less compatibility problems. Apple can swing updates out fast and new versions because the platform is like this.

That's fun, when precisely it's Mac OS the one that won't work on anything but Mac hardware

Yeah funny that, how Apple makes OS X and makes the hardware to go along with it... Very strange...

Tell you what else is strange, how it's illegal to run OS X on anything which isn't genuine apple hardware.

Isn't that odd.

Oh by the way I'm being sarcastic.

Well thats because it's made to be like that and has big advantages for the platform, no legacy baggage, optimized for top level hardware, less compatibility problems. Apple can swing updates out fast and new versions because the platform is like this.

Yup i know, that's why Mac OSX is apparently more stable than windows: you can't buy the cheapest chinese Nvidia clone and plug it into a Mac (or any nvidia for that matter), but you'll probably want to buy it and will work on a PC with more or less success.

The problem for me is that one of those ads say that the last japanese gadget will work nativelly on a mac and won't work on a windows-based pc, when it's MS windows who has an "anything goes" approach to the OS and Apple has the "get my stuff or don't get any stuff at all" way. That's the problem with those "get a mac" ads: in most cases they are not telling the whole true, or, in worst cases, directly saying something that is false.

Yeah funny that, how Apple makes OS X and makes the hardware to go along with it... Very strange...

Tell you what else is strange, how it's illegal to run OS X on anything which isn't genuine apple hardware.

Isn't that odd.

Oh by the way I'm being sarcastic.

your point being?

your point being?

My point is that OS X is only designed to work on Apple hardware for a few very good reasons.

1. Simplicity

2. Compatibility

3. Continuation of design

Not that I want to sound like an Apple ad, but Macs do just work out of the box. I've never had to download or install any additional drivers to get my printers/scanners/cameras/external drives to work with my mac. They just work.

Also, Apple are a very design-led company. Macs look great. You show me a manufacturer that makes computers with half the design, class, and functionality that apple do. Continuation of design is therefore very important to apple.

Believe me, it is a very good thing that apple limit OSX to only run on Apple hardware.

My point is that OS X is only designed to work on Apple hardware for a few very good reasons.

1. Simplicity

2. Compatibility

Not that I want to sound like an Apple ad, but Macs do just work out of the box. I've never had to download or install any additional drivers to get my printers/scanners/cameras/external drives to work with my mac. They just work.

Also, Apple are a very design-led company. Macs look great. You show me a manufacturer that makes computers with half the design, class, and functionality that apple do. Continuation of design is therefore very important to apple.

Believe me, it is a very good thing that apple limit OSX to only run on Apple hardware.

qft

1. Simplicity

2. Compatibility

i know, and i agree completely with you. What i find disturbing is that they make ads saying "anything will work on a Mac, but probably won't on a PC", when the dessign philosophy is the opposite.

Haha, like people actually do that.

I've seen several people do this. Leopard is not presently without its issues. Sure they'll get fixed over time, but some people, for one reason or another, simply can't wait so they revert to what they know works perfectly - i.e. Tiger. Another site posted a list of some known 10.5 issues and it was rather varied. According to Steve jobs next week several fixes will be issued and 10.5.1 will be released soon after that, so Apple will need to whittle away at these issues over time. We use both 10.4 and 10.5 and we probably will for a little while longer. As for the new ads, they are funny. I also thought it was interesting how Dodge has now copied the basic iPod ads (same music and style). Especially liked the ad with the PR lady spinning everything that PC was saying. The new Apple iPhone ads by contrast are very boring and need to be reworked, and until then they need to stop showing them.