The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread!

antaholics

718 posts in this topic

Great !! it's working on my Asus F3sR, the Jas edition 10.4.8, I tried the XxX version but it's seem doesn't work, now i will concentrate on sound, network, and graphic!, The ATI HD2400, will be easiest to install than geforce... perhaps, .. I hope..

Thanks again, i will continue to add my feedback here ! with my ugly English ^^

Now my grub is full! !

Vista !, Ubuntu, and Mac OS X^^ all is working more or less

Bye

i've got an error on boot :

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext:kextload /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext: no such bundle file exist can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext (file access/permissions)

but it boot even this error

And only the Jas version boot, all other i've got the "using 10485 buffer..." hang error

I noticed also when i am under MAC OSX the HD make son strange noise, i' had the same noise under ubuntu and it's was the cycle_load_problem, is this problem knew under mac ??

Sorry 4 my engish again :D

PS: MAC OSX , and Install of them boot ramdomly, some times i've hang again on the "using 10485 buffer..." line , Strange, I doesn't like ramdom error. . .

don't worry abut the dsmos.kext error, you only need it when you upgrade to 10.4.11 (does anybody need the guide? if people still need it I'll try and put it together soon) and you use original Apple kernel

I'm not sure about the strange noise you're getting with your HD... maybe AlexIT would know, but he doesn't seem to be around at the moment (vacation? :))

this is what I do when I get "using 10485 buffer..." hang on boot... (it rarely happens)

First, I reboot. Sometimes this works.

If rebooting doesn't help, I keep a copy of Extensions.mkext in the HD... so if I get that error I can boot with the flags

-s "MKext Cache"=/Extensions.mkext

and then type

mount -uw /
makemkext
reboot

hope this helps

Hello all:

I have an asus f3sr like PtitKill.

So here are the problems:

I tested a Jas Os, but when I see the apple logo and you think: Oh the next thing is istalling It, it reboots and it does so quickly so I can't see the error and I can't install.

Later the uphuck uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r2 has exactly the same problem.

The only that doesn't crash is the Toh ToH_x86_9A581_RC2 but it takes the buffer 10485 error and again I can't install it.

I'm a little bit frustrated, so please help me :-)

Hi all,

First of all, I'm french, so.. please excuse me for my bad english.. :/

I'm the owner of a F3SV notebook and I'm trying to install mac OS from JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 install dvd.

I tried a lot of the member answers wroted here, but it won't works :

- other osx versions kalyway, uphuks ..

- downgrading bios to versions 206 and 203

- setting hard disk mode to Compatible or Enhanced..

- boot with -x -v and rd=disk#s# ( 0 and 1 for me i thought ) flags

My problem is that f****ng ( ^^ ) " using 10485 buffer headers ... " message on the dvd boot..

I would like to have some advise on this.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello all:I have an asus f3sr like PtitKill.So here are the problems:I tested a Jas Os, but when I see the apple logo and you think: Oh the next thing is istalling It, it reboots and it does so quickly so I can't see the error and I can't install.Later the uphuck uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r2 has exactly the same problem.The only that doesn't crash is the Toh ToH_x86_9A581_RC2 but it takes the buffer 10485 error and again I can't install it.I'm a little bit frustrated, so please help me :-)
Iĺl forgive you this time... but read the instructions carefully next time :D

Hit F8 during boot and type the flags

cpus=1 -v -x ¨Graphics Mode¨=¨1280x768x32@60¨

setup should now boot :D

Hi all,First of all, I'm french, so.. please excuse me for my bad english.. :/I'm the owner of a F3SV notebook and I'm trying to install mac OS from JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 install dvd.I tried a lot of the member answers wroted here, but it won't works : - other osx versions kalyway, uphuks ..- downgrading bios to versions 206 and 203- setting hard disk mode to Compatible or Enhanced- boot with -x -v and rd=disk#s# ( 0 and 1 for me i thought ) flagsMy problem is that f****ng ( ^^ ) " using 10485 buffer headers ... " message on the dvd boot..I would like to have some advise on this.Many thanks in advance.

which uphuck are you using?

the only known working discs for F3 series are:

- JaS 10.4.8

- uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 (some BIOs only)

give that a try...

hope this helps,

Ant

P.S. AlexIT where did you go??? :D

I noticed also when i am under MAC OSX the HD make son strange noise, i' had the same noise under ubuntu and it's was the cycle_load_problem, is this problem knew under mac ??

It's a big problem ... you could damage your hd ... it depends on some acpi/apm bugs in your harddisk firmware.

In linux you can workaround manually changing HDparams, in OSX you shoud be able to do the same.

I never had this problem with my laptop ...

@all

At the moment the only ACPI/APIC kext to boot is the ones from 10.4.7 ... that's JAS_10.4.8_Intel/Amd dvd.

Uphuck and other distros uses newer kexts, and give problems during dvd-boot.

If you want to try Leo, you can use the Flatimage (search with google) ... but remove the AppleEFI* kexts.

I have Leo on an usbStick ... but I prefer Tiger10.4.11 ... too many things have problems with Leo at the moment...

Iĺl forgive you this time... but read the instructions carefully next time :P

Hit F8 during boot and type the flags

cpus=1 -v -x ¨Graphics Mode¨=¨1280x768x32@60¨

setup should now boot :P

I'm sorry, It doesn't work, I put the different dvds to install macos on the hd and tiped the flags you put, but:

The uphuck gets stucked at Using 10485 buffer headers..... bla bla bla and the same happens with the Toh version.

As for the JasOs it gets knocked at Using 5242 buffer......

So let's try another way... what you suggest?, I'm gonna download one more version of the jas an one more for the uphuck. Also I would appreciate so much If PtitKill who has the same computer as my tells me where I can find the version he downloaded and worked.

Sorry for my English

Yes like i think my Load_cycle grown up too fast, also the acpi doesn't work, and that even if i install laptop power managmenent.

But the flat image risk format all ma partition ? because i've got Vista, Linux and Mac on the same disk but different partition of course ^^

i will try install Jas and update it with leo DVD, i don't know if it working

@ Anakim:

are you trying to boot off the DVD into the HD? if so, you should use cpus=1 -v -x rd=disk0s3 (assuming disk0s1 is your recovery partition and disk0s2 is Windows)

if you're trying to bot off the DVD for install, don't use rd=disk0s3, but include cpus=1

don't know if this helps.. it worked for me (JaS 10.4.8 and uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 ONLY)

@ molessorribes:

I'm not sure why you are getting "using 5242 buffer..." on JaS DVD (which version are you using? there are many)

uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r2 has been known NOT to work (I tried this myself)... please find uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 or JaS 10.4.8

@AlexIT:

if you have time can you give me a quick response about post #149? I'm still not sure about the screen recording or VLC player or the external HD. The external HD had 2 partitions (one NTFS and one FAT32) and both were SLOW....

@PitiKiLL:

I don't think the leo DVDs boot normally (maybe thats why flatimage), because I got a ToH one that got stuck at "using 10485 buffer"

Right now I am working on quad-booting Vista, XP MCE, OS X and Ubuntu.... nothing is booting LOL

after hours and hours of playing around with it I finally got XP MCE and OS X to boot... Vista is stuck at some hal.dll error (MBR damage?) and Ubuntu is MIA (not the end of the world or anything, I don't know how to use it anyways, I just like Gparted :))

Ant

Yes like i think my Load_cycle grown up too fast, also the acpi doesn't work, and that even if i install laptop power managmenent.But the flat image risk format all ma partition ? because i've got Vista, Linux and Mac on the same disk but different partition of course ^^i will try install Jas and update it with leo DVD, i don't know if it working
If you can use linux, you should understand what I'm saying now ...You can create a free partition of 18GB and clone (dd) the flat image to it.Then you can configure grub to boot to it (chain0 , chainloader).First time, start in safe mode (-s) and remove the AppleEFI* stuff, then you can boot normaly to finish installation tasks.
Thanks for the tip about the NV* and Gef* kexts... it did help a bit. Quicktime now can play .avi files without too much lag (and I am REALLY happy about that :P)However, VLC player still crashes when I try to run any video. I think it has to do with the video output... but I tried changing to each method (Quartz, OpenGL, etc)... and they either lag, crash, or show no video screen. I still can't play .mkv files properly :(Chess is still brokenI really hope that the G84 and G86 drivers will work out soon! It sounds like a massive improvement :P fingers crossed!Meanwhile, I tried running a video capture utility on Vista and I was suprised by how smoothly it ran (and disappointed at OS X's extreme inability to run it). On OSX I couldn't even record a PORTION of the screen SCALED DOWN without massively lagging. On Vista, I could do a full video screen recording at HIGH fps and full 1440x900 resolution with NO LAG! :)
All video stuffs are laggy and instable ... we are using the vesa3 driver for nvidia ... with only 32MB of ram used.Btw VLC doesn't crash to me, try an older version, I use it to play DVD an DIVX movies very often, to broadcast then on my home-net, to convert files etc. !About video recording ... do you mean desktop-view recording ? which program are you using under osx ? I never tried!
P.S. Do you think anyone who has the ability to fix up the ACPI would be interested in such a project? I am absolutely clueless with these things =/
A working bios could be better ... I have problems with acpi and usb also under linux ... asus laptop bioses are very shìtty! If I could have the sources of AppleAPIC and AppleACPI I could try to understand (and maybe workaround) the problem ... if you are able to tryt hem :D ...Without them it's kinda impossible!
Edit: I just noticed that my USB external hard drive is VERY slow on OSX. I'm trying to back up one partition to another (on the same drive) and on Vista I get around 9MB/s... but on OSX I get less than 1MB/s. I tried different USB ports (thinking that diff speed usb devices might have limiting effects) but it's all the same. Same with copying files to the internal HD! :(
Strange ... I'have an external USBstick-16GB with my OSX partition backup. Now I booted from that, and I didn't feel a big different from usual. I've just copied a DVD image (4.5GB) of files from USBstick to HD in less than 3min!, and from HD back to USBstick in almost 6min! Under linux I obtained simila valus ... under XP about 20% slower.I had some problems with usb with 206 bios. With 208 it seems to works fine. The only problem now is that bios does not release ownership to the driver, so you can't manage security and burst transfert (full 480mbit/s for few seconds)
I don't think the leo DVDs boot normally (maybe thats why flatimage), because I got a ToH one that got stuck at "using 10485 buffer"Right now I am working on quad-booting Vista, XP MCE, OS X and Ubuntu.... nothing is booting LOLafter hours and hours of playing around with it I finally got XP MCE and OS X to boot... Vista is stuck at some hal.dll error (MBR damage?) and Ubuntu is MIA (not the end of the world or anything, I don't know how to use it anyways, I just like Gparted :P)
DVD works, but you have to remove AppleEFI* kexts, and modify the mkext to include the old APIC ACPI stuff.It's easier to use the flatimage. But ... LEO is slower, there's some bugs, and crashes sometimes without any apparent reason audio doesn't work (it could work if you map the nodes correctly), network drivers for usb-adapters (wireless and wired ones) from 10.4 doesn't work ...@antWhen you play with OSes it's better to backup MBR ... :D ...VISTA it's very sensible ... HAL error normaly means that your ntfs-tree is broken, and you have to remove your partition and do all from scratch...

I'm also encountering this strange 'tick' under both Linux and OSX on my F3SV.

On another note, I finally have been able to get network connectivity! I found an old USB network card based on the Pegasus chipset and it works without any problems or stability issues ;)

AlexIT,

I will try another version of VLC later... so far only QuickTime works for me.. and I hate QuickTime with a passion :)

Takes so long to load videos... lack of options.. etc. argh

For video recording I meant recording your screen.. the programs I used were.. SnapzProX2 (I think that's what it's called) for Mac (lags massively even on VERY small portions of the screen scaled to 10% - can't see anything at all).

For Windows I was using CamStudio (freeware!) and it worked flawlessly, recording 1440x900 full resolution video with minimal lag! Is it just the video card on the Mac doing this to me?? :(

I really don't know what is with my external hard drive... I think my 4GB Cruzer works fine (haven't transferred big enough files to notice any slowness) but my 320GB USB to IDE hard drive is REALLY slow under OS X

I tried deleting and making the Vista partition under Windows XP (which I am running on now), and Vista still gave me the same error :(

Right now I have XP and OS X working.. XP is missing a bunch of drivers (I'll find them tomorrow after my last final exam), and Vista is error'ed and Ubuntu is still MIA. lol...

Surprisingly XP is booting perfectly off a logical partition.. I thought Windows didn't like being booted off a logical partition?

Ant

OK , leopard will waitong for now, i've got an mac os XXX 10.4.10 who's working, i'll try tomorrow the kext modification to boot less the DVD.

@Ant: the install dvd can restore the MBR of vista, or any boot problem in restore menu, but after you need reinstall grub, with ubuntu it's very easy and your menu.lst wasn't altered. it's juste what i've done when one of three boot failed ^^

Hi,

I've played around with AppleHDA.kext a bit according to Taruga's guide.

As a result I've got ALC660 in my W7S works a bit better than with AppleAzalia.

It should also work with F3 series discussed in this topic, as the codecs seem to be the same.

It's still at the very early stage, but you can try it.

This kext works great here!

@Ant: the install dvd can restore the MBR of vista, or any boot problem in restore menu, but after you need reinstall grub, with ubuntu it's very easy and your menu.lst wasn't altered. it's juste what i've done when one of three boot failed ^^

I tried repair boot from the install DVD, but it couldn't do it (i'll try again later, really busy with exams) and it also screwed up my XP install, so now only OS X works. If I want to be able to use Darwin as default boot loader to launch each OS's boot loader (which can each boot every other OS), do you know how it's done? I'm new to boot loaders :blink:

Right now my Ubuntu is not reconized by anyone else, and selecting its partition as primary doesn't boot. XP's boot.ini got killed so it won't boot anymore (tried repairing... but when Darwin boots XP it hangs with a underlined hyphen)

Ant

Edit:

I should study for my exam.

I got Vista to boot with startup repair from the Vista DVD, and then used EasyBCD to make the Vista boot loader find OSX, Ubuntu and XP!!!

Then XP had to be repaired with repair console from XP install CD... so now I have 3 working OS's

Ubuntu is still missing in action.. nobody can see him :hysterical: and when Vista tries to boot it it won't boot

I should study for my exam

For video recording I meant recording your screen.. the programs I used were.. SnapzProX2 (I think that's what it's called) for Mac (lags massively even on VERY small portions of the screen scaled to 10% - can't see anything at all).

Try with "Movie Grab" or "Capture ME" ...

Both boot (XP and Vista) doesn't like each other ^^ that what i've kepp the bool loader of ubuntu, "grub", it very easy to install it , and he see anyone, juste boot on ubuntu CD (like a live cd) open a term and now type

sudo -s

and

grub --batch

to administrate grub

we should see a "grub>"

To find our grub type now

find /boot/grub/stage1

the grub should be write something like that

find /boot/grub/stage1

(hd3,3)

you need now tu enter the location of grub ( here (hd3,3)) like that

root (hd3,3)

where hdx,x is your response of find command

After type

setup (hd0)

and

quit

that's all, your grub should be ok now ^^ i hope

if your grub is not install, install it with apt-get install

now concerning mac, the XxX version seem have another bug, the boot doesnt hang on "using 10485 buffer... " line, but turn around after on 4 "exited abnormal"

-com.apple.nibindd

-com.apple.syslogd

-com.apple.KernelEventAgent

-com.apple.mDNSResponder

but the jas version work, i'dont know what happen with this XxX version .

EDIT: I found an info on load cycle under Macosx : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=378997

True rumer or simply true, i will test in a few day ^^

@ Anakim:

are you trying to boot off the DVD into the HD?

No, this problem occurs in the first operation, when I try to boot into the dvd .. :/

I use "cpus=1 -v -x" parameters, or just "cpus=1" but don't work ..

See the picture for more details about this.. ( sorry for the bad quality :/ )

spa0292bd9.th.jpg

P.S : what does all these "skipping extension " lines mean ?

oO .. When i pull the power plug out, i can correcly do the installation.. but when it boots up now it gives me a HFS+ partition error. I've tried for hours looking for a solution, but nothing has helped.. Does anyone have an idea ?

Thanks in advance..

I forgot how I solved HFS+ partition error, but it might have been reinstalling...

Try using EasyBCD (google it) and use the "fix HFS+ partition error" thing... I haven't tried it yet but hope it helps!

This thread is kind of dead :(

I didn't get time to try out grub yet!

Ok, so I boot off the dvd, opened a terminal and i rewrote a new boot loader with the command : fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 ( disk0 is my first HD )

so now.. the HFS+ error disappeared, but it hangs on the apple logo.. I keep on trying :huh:

Edit : Okay.. It work.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22059465@N05/

It was cool :D.. But .. I absolutely need wifi access, Java 6 for development, and .. RJ45 connexion .. I can't use this OS !

I'll reinstall my poor dual Boot, Vista+Ubuntu ..

Thanks to everybody helped me.. Good luck for the future!

Ana`

someone's working on the wifi, it's supposed to be coming soon! For RJ45 I bought a refurbished D-Link DUB-E100 for under $10.

This thread is dying :(

I think the Geforce 8600GT, GS, and 8400 GS are working with leopard now! (according to netkas's website).. I really want to get this working.. but I have NO idea how to install leopard or upgrade tiger to leopard... any ideas? I can live without wifi for now if I can get QE/CI!!

Right now I'm stuck with using XP, which btw isn't that bad :P