The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread!

antaholics

718 posts in this topic

I tried that and nothing happened :)

I also tried 0x8086284b and 0x066010EC and still nothing

you sure that's how you got yours to work? :)

I think so ... I did it 5 months ago!

But I had no difficulties ...

I can only attach my kext for you all to try ...

(don't forget to move-away the AppleHDAudio kext)

AppleAzaliaAudio.tar.gz

I found out what was wrong (I think). When you edit AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist, you need to add 0x284b8086 and 0x066010EC... and when you edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext you neeed to add 0x10EC0660...

does that sound about right? maybe someone would like to play around with it to see what is absolutely needed

That said, I got my audio to work and am quite happy :) Thanks AlexIT!!!

I'm wondering about a few small things (Again)

1. System Profiler detects Bus Speed as 100Mhz.. is that something to worry about?

2. The clock seems to be a little bit slow. Could this be because the Bus Speed is wrong? I used the clock trick as described on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...iversal_for_RTC

3. System Profiler doesn't detect internal audio device, although sound comes out of the speakers

4.It'd be nice if I can program a button or shortcut to adjust volume too... I couldn't find such an option :) and I hate using my mouse to adjust volume :)

5. is any work being done on the sound, webcam, ethernet or wireless for the laptop?

6. I just noticed that instead of dimming or shutting off the LCD to save battery, OSX just freezes the screen instead, and refreshes when you touch the mouse again. Any way to fix this?

7. Are there any power-saving options in OSX like in Vista? (60% CPU power, auto-dim LCD when unplugged, auto-hibernate at critical battery... etc) Even if it's 3rd party software it'd really help

8. I can't play chess because the animation doesn't refresh!!! :'(

Thanks again,

Ant

P.S. I'll organize the full tutorial.. SOON

Last Updated: Nov. 30, 2007

Hi all, this is the complete guidelines on how to install OSX 10.4.8 on your Asus F3 Series laptop!! :D (Updating to 10.4.11 will be covered in a separate tutorial.)

All credits go to AlexIT for creating this method.

What you need:

1. Asus F3 series laptop (or other Asus laptop experiencing the same problems)

2. JaS OSX 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 install DVD, or Uphuck OSX 10.4.9 v1.3 install DVD (if you use another version and it works please let us know so I can add it to this tutorial!!)

3. Windows Vista Install DVD... in case your computer doesn't boot up anymore

4. basic computer skills... or instruction-following skills (I edited AlexIT's original instructions slightly and added parts to clarify things in hopes that it will be dummy proof... if you still need any explaination or if something is unclear please let me know!)

5. Patience... LOTS of it.

6. Luck!

First you need to make space on your HD for the OSX partition. Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Delete a partition, shrink your partitions, whatever. Make at lease 6GB of free space.

NOTE: playing around with partitions may result in loss of data. Neither I nor anyone else on this forum will not be held responsible if you lose information on your computer. BACK EVERYTHING UP!!

Open up diskpart (start>run>diskpart.exe) (run it in admin mode if you're on vista) and type in:

list disk
select disk 0 (replace 0 with your disk #)
create partition primary id=af

then reboot your computer and boot into the JaS install DVD using the tags

cpus=1 -v -x

If your install DVD hangs a "using 10485 buffer... " try different BIOS versions from the Asus website. With the F3SV I found that ver207 doesn't work (for JaS 10.4.8) but ver 203 and 206 work fine. I suggest BIOS ver. 206. For F3SC ver 208 works.

Follow the on-screen installation to install OSX 10.4.8. ONLY install the base system and SSE3 kernel. Install SATA/JMICRON/AHCI/ICH8/PATA/IDE if necessary.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY PATCHES OR EXTRA KEXTS!!!

At the end of the install your computer will reboot, and most likely it will hang at "using 10485 buffer headers..." when it boots from the HD.

If this is the case, boot from DVD, press F8, and boot using these flags :

-x -v cpus=1 rd=disk#s# "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32@60"

where disk#s# is your HD (e.g. disk0s3)

Note: if your DVD doesn't let you F8, you must boot into a Windows Vista install DVD and use the repair option. Instead of running system repair, open up command prompt and use diskpart (type "diskpart" at command prompt) and type:

select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2 (replace 2 with the number of your Vista partition)
active

then reboot.

After booting into OSX, set up your account info. After logging in, open the HD , create a folder called KEXT and put inside the Extensions.mkext from the DVD (/System/Library/ in the DVD).

Open up Terminal and become "root"

sudo -s

Edit file "/etc/rc" with "nano" command

nano /etc/rc

insert

SafeBoot=""

at the beginning (first non commented line) , and the line

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext

in the second half, after "# Create local NetInfo database if it doesn't exist".

Ctrl+X to save.

Now in /sbin create the "makemkext" command using the command

nano /sbin/makemkext

This opens up a blank file, so add the following code:

#!/bin/sh
find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;
kextcache -e -a i386 -k -f
sync

Ctrl+X to save.

the do a

chmod 777 /sbin/makemkext

in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist modify as below:

...(some lines) 
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>cpus=1 -v -x</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32@60</string> 
<key>MKext Cache</key>
<string>/System/Library/Extensions.mkext</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string> 
...(some more lines)

Now extract some Extensions from DVD.

cd /KEXT
mkextunpack -d . ./Extensions.mkext

Open up a finder window and go to the /KEXT folder.

You will notice that there are 7 .kext files that begin with AppleACPI...

Right click AppleACPIPlatform.kext, and click "Show Package Contents", and open the "Contents" folder.

Create a folder named "PlugIns" on your desktop and movethe other 6 AppleACPI kext files into the folder.

Then drag the PlugIns folder from your desktop into the "Contents" folder in /KEXT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Now replace some kexts...

Back in Terminal, as "root", type in:

rm -fR /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext 
rm -fR /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
cp -r /KEXT/AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ 
cp -r /KEXT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -fR /KEXT
makemkext
reboot

Execute them line by line ... and see for errors.

The "makemkext" can take a long time ... 1 or 2 minute, and will output tons of warnings .. it's ok ... you have to see only if in the last 4 lines there is something different, or strange.

Reboot, and see if it works!! Good Luck!!!

If it works, please let us know by posting on this thread (include your model number so we know which laptops it works for)!!! (If not, let us know where you got stuck too!)

Ant

great guide~~But I guess I'm the only dummy here so..here's my questions...

a) Second step : Should I install with flags -x -v cpus=1 , or just cpus=1 ?

b ) /sbin step : so I type 1) sudo -s

2) nano /sbin

3) *type in all the code in the nano

4) Ctrl+x (exit), save as "makemkext"...?

5) "chmod 777 makemkext" back in the terminal?

I'll be trying for the remaining part once I made it throught these parts..

Thanks

I guess some parts of the instructions weren't too clear. I'll try to fix them up as you're reading through it. Thanks for letting me know what to fix!

Install with cpus=1 -v -x.... I am assuming that the DVD won't boot for you if you don't use those flags

for the /sbin step, type in this:

nano /sbin/makemkext

and save as /sbin/makemkext

then type in "chmod 777 makemkext"

I'll add it to the guide!

Ant

Thanks for the modify...

now i'm in the"mkextunpack -d . ./Extensions.mkext"

the terminal saids "can't stat file ./Extension.mkext"...

should it be

mkextunpack -d /KEXT Extensions.mkext

if I do the above command, then i'll see 195 kext file in the /KEXT folder....

so I suppost only put

1)AppleACPIButtons.kext

2)AppleACPIEC.kext

3)AppleACPIPowerSource.kext

4)AppleACPIThermal.kext

5)AppleACPIPCI.kext

6)AppleACPILPC.kext

into the desktop plugins folder..

then all the way I'm in "Execute them line by line ... and see for errors"

the first five lines of code is fine..but when I do makemkext,

it said "bash: /sbin/makemkext: Permission denied" even i'm in root

Thanks

Hyperloop

GOOD NEWS!!I've followed the guide and successfully booted without DVD !!!but the following of the guidehas to be changed:

1)mkextunpack -d . ./Extensions.mkext

should be

mkextunpack -d /KEXT Extensions.mkext

2)makemkext

should be

sudo -s /sbin/makemkext

thats all about it~~

thanks you everyone ><

I'm not sure whats with mkextunpack... the way I wrote it is what AlexIT wrote, and it worked fine for me ;)

I'm not too sure about what you did with makemkext... you should already be in "root" (sudo -s) when you do it...

Stay tuned for the guide to update to 10.4.11!!! and speaker sound out! (I'm still not clear about a few steps, but I think I can put it together when I get the time

Ant

1. System Profiler detects Bus Speed as 100Mhz.. is that something to worry about?

2. The clock seems to be a little bit slow. Could this be because the Bus Speed is wrong? I used the clock trick as described on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...iversal_for_RTC

3. System Profiler doesn't detect internal audio device, although sound comes out of the speakers4.It'd be nice if I can program a button or shortcut to adjust volume too... I couldn't find such an option :thumbsdown_anim: and I hate using my mouse to adjust volume :P

5. is any work being done on the sound, webcam, ethernet or wireless for the laptop?

6. I just noticed that instead of dimming or shutting off the LCD to save battery, OSX just freezes the screen instead, and refreshes when you touch the mouse again. Any way to fix this?

7. Are there any power-saving options in OSX like in Vista? (60% CPU power, auto-dim LCD when unplugged, auto-hibernate at critical battery... etc) Even if it's 3rd party software it'd really help

8. I can't play chess because the animation doesn't refresh!!! :'(

1. If you use SMBios from netkas (or jas one) you should solve this problems.

2. I simply change my TimeZone to have the same clock in WinXP and Linux and Tiger

3. It's normal, AppleAzalia uses some tricks and doesn't present itself to the system ;)

4. I saw around the net a keyboard remapper, in portoguese but with tool to change any key.

5. My cam works with internal driver, it's a UVC cam (similar to isight). I use it with skype.

6. Not yet. I have the same problem in a HackPro (not mobile)

7. It should be, try searching for "power management" in macupdate.com

8. Chess ? Never play on tiger. Try move away the Ge* kext (and do makemkext and reboot)

I'm not too sure about what you did with makemkext... you should already be in "root" (sudo -s) when you do it...

The problem is in chmod

do

(instead of "chmod 777 makemkext") :D

1. If you use SMBios from netkas (or jas one) you should solve this problems.

2. I simply change my TimeZone to have the same clock in WinXP and Linux and Tiger

3. It's normal, AppleAzalia uses some tricks and doesn't present itself to the system :D

4. I saw around the net a keyboard remapper, in portoguese but with tool to change any key.

5. My cam works with internal driver, it's a UVC cam (similar to isight). I use it with skype.

6. Not yet. I have the same problem in a HackPro (not mobile)

7. It should be, try searching for "power management" in macupdate.com

8. Chess ? Never play on tiger. Try move away the Ge* kext (and do makemkext and reboot)

1. When I boot my computer it says (in yellow words) something about com.apple.SMBIOS not loaded correctly :P

2. I used the clock fix on OSX86 Project... but it feels like the time runs a LITTLE bit slower (not sure why... maybe during boot up?)

4. I can't read portugese!! ><"

5. I'lll go look up the driver, thanks!!

8. I'll try moving the Geforce kexts away... hopefully that works out.

Thanks for the advice!!

The problem is in chmod

do

(instead of "chmod 777 makemkext") :D

I don't know... it worked for me! XD

I fixed the things you said into the guide, thanks for telling me. I already had the nested structures thing in there, hope it made sense

I am also putting this guide in the first post of this whole thread so people who just started can catch up. If theres any more errors let me know!

1. When I boot my computer it says (in yellow words) something about com.apple.SMBIOS not loaded correctly :P

2. I used the clock fix on OSX86 Project... but it feels like the time runs a LITTLE bit slower (not sure why... maybe during boot up?)

Are you using AppleSMBios froom PCEfi5? Dont do it! It's for Leopard ... Use the one from JAS dvd or get the NetKas one from

http://rapidshare.com/files/42333060/Apple...xt.tar.bz2.html

I just notice that the "using buffers 10485.." will pop up if using battery to boot..(power un-plugged). Is this "normal"??

I use it with battery all the time.

Sometime it happens to hangs at startup (with battery and not), then I use this flags to boot

-v -s "MKext Cache"=/KEXT/Extensions.mkext

the do a "sudo /sbin/makemkext" from terminale and reboot again.

What you need:

1. Asus F3 series laptop (or other Asus laptop experiencing the same problems)

2. JaS OSX 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 install DVD (other versions have not been tested, but if you use another version and it works please let us know so I can add it to this tutorial!!)

Uphuck 10.4.8 version 1.3 works on my F3SV using BIOS version 2.07

USB2.0 1.3M WebCam

Manufacturer (D-Max, STK-1135)

VID: 174F

PID: 6A31

OSX works only with UVC-compliant webcams, and STK1135 is not UVC !

Neither the MaCam project support this model, and nobody is porting the driver from linux ...

Sorry :(

OSX works only with UVC-compliant webcams, and STK1135 is not UVC !

Neither the MaCam project support this model, and nobody is porting the driver from linux ...

Sorry :wacko:

aww that sucks... looks like I will be webcam-less until I find my old logitech one (from what I can remember it has OSX drivers... HOPEFULLY)... but that won't be until christmas time lol

is it really hard to port a linux driver?

btw, I went back to the JaS AppleSMBIOS.kext... the 10.4.11 one didn't show my bus speed properly (100Mhz? wth?) and the one that AlexIT linked to didn't show my 2 slots of memory. The JaS one works fine I think

One strange thing though, even though About This Mac shows 1.99Ghz or 2 Ghz, the program CoreDuoTemp (I think that's wat it is) sees my CPU as 1.67Ghz... it shows the Temp correctly though (seems ok to me)... any idea why?

edit: this is very depressing.. because I don't have QE, I can't use iMovie and iPhoto's edit screen comes up blank :(

btw, I went back to the JaS AppleSMBIOS.kext... the 10.4.11 one didn't show my bus speed properly (100Mhz? wth?) and the one that AlexIT linked to didn't show my 2 slots of memory.

One strange thing though, even though About This Mac shows 1.99Ghz or 2 Ghz, the program CoreDuoTemp (I think that's wat it is) sees my CPU as 1.67Ghz... it shows the Temp correctly though (seems ok to me)... any idea why?

These are only visualizzation bugs, all works fine the same.

For qe/ci ... you should load the nvda50hal kexts.

The problem is that it uses nvdresman that allocate the framebuffer for vga, but (i think) there are different values of memory-addressing between our G8xxx and apple ones. Also injecting "all" the efi value of a macbookpro3,1 the system crashes as soon as it try to write enable the graphical-screen!

These are only visualizzation bugs, all works fine the same.

For qe/ci ... you should load the nvda50hal kexts.

The problem is that it uses nvdresman that allocate the framebuffer for vga, but (i think) there are different values of memory-addressing between our G8xxx and apple ones. Also injecting "all" the efi value of a macbookpro3,1 the system crashes as soon as it try to write enable the graphical-screen!

Is this the case with both the 8400 and 8600 GS (what I have on the F3SV)? Do you know if there's any work being done on it? I just spent the last two hours digging around everywhere and I couldn't find anything that tells me what to do.. everything seems to be under development or not working at all