The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread!

antaholics

718 posts in this topic

Yup... I tried reinstalling it again, and got 10.4.8 to work perfectly fine (boot without DVD, not in safe mode)

but when I tried to update to 10.4.11... after reboot and following the efiboot steps, which were fine (whew) it wouldn't boot up!

I get to the part where it loads /System/Library/Extensions.mkext for MKext Cache... and then it goes blank and reboots! nothing more than that. I can still boot off the old kernel into single user mode, but I don't know if it's a good idea to boot into the GUI :)

any idea what went wrong with the update?

Edit: I tried booting from the 10.4.8 DVD into GUI and got

*bunch of text*

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED*****

*bunch of text*

*diskarb blah blah blah*

*diskarb blah blah blah*

*diskarb blah blah blah*

*diskarb blah blah blah*

*diskarb blah blah blah*

*diskarb blah blah blah*

then it rebooted by itself!

It still won't get past the Extensions.mkext (not loading extensions yet) part before rebooting. Then I tried to get on GUI with DVD again, and finally logged in. It said something during startup about dsmos.kext being wrong or something... :S

Any ideas?

dual boot with Vista!! :(

(that's the only reason I can still post on this forum lol..)

lol...thx for the reply..

ok. i just started the installation...now i installed the JaS ...

and got the buffer 10485 thing..(DUH ^_^ )

so i try to boot from DVD, setting the boot device to be DVD in bios, and keep pressing F8 when loading..

but the DVD won't boot :angel: (the "Darwin" flashes and reboot= =without even letting me type anything)

is it because i changed the startup disc to the HDD? (i set it in the installation manual in the DVD)

THX...

hyper

PS: sorry for the crappy english ><

lol...thx for the reply..

ok. i just started the installation...now i installed the JaS ...

and got the buffer 10485 thing..(DUH :P )

so i try to boot from DVD, setting the boot device to be DVD in bios, and keep pressing F8 when loading..

but the DVD won't boot :( (the "Darwin" flashes and reboot= =without even letting me type anything)

is it because i changed the startup disc to the HDD? (i set it in the installation manual in the DVD)

THX...

hyper

PS: sorry for the crappy english ><

Do you have a Vista DVD?

If so, insert it, boot up the Vista DVD

Press "next" at the first screen.

Don't press "Install Now!"... instead, there's two buttons on the bottom, one says something like "repair installation" or similar. Select that one.

Up pops a window asking you to select the windows installation.. but the box should be empty. Click "next".

Open up Command Prompt and type in the following:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0  *** assuming that your vista disk is disk 0 ***
list partition
select partition # (fill in your Vista partition number in there)
active

it should say something like "Selected partition is set as active" or something like that.

Reboot, it should boot up Windows Vista... but if you boot into the DVD and press F8 you can choose startup options again! :D

hope this helps

Ant

P.S. What model is your computer?

first of all, I still don't know what kind of SATA my HD is running on... it's still running on the IDE driver... however I can't complain because...

I GOT GOOD NEWS!!!

I tried what ciufs tried, and it worked!!

I added

AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIButtons.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIPCI.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIThermal.kext

to the PlugIns folder in AppleACPIPlatform.kext, did makemkext, and rebooted... and now everything works!!! :D :D:D

hope this works out for everyone

Just tried it here and it works!!

What I did was a fresh install of JaS 10.4.8. After installation I've booted into OSX by using the JaS DVD and the bootloader options '-x -v cpus=1 rd=disk0s3 "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32". After the first time setup screen I've done the following :

- Edit the /etc/rc file

- Create the /sbin/makemkext script

- Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemPreferences/com.apple.Boot.plist

- Create the /KEXT folder and copy the file System/Extensions.mkext from the JaS DVD to this folder

- Extract the extensions using mkextunpack

- cp -R /KEXT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions

- Run the makemkext script

- Reboot and load OSX from the harddrive without the JaS DVD

Next step, on to 10.4.11 :D

Just tried it here and it works!!What I did was a fresh install of JaS 10.4.8. After installation I've booted into OSX by using the JaS DVD and the bootloader options '-x -v cpus=1 rd=disk0s3 "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32". After the first time setup screen I've done the following :- Edit the /etc/rc file- Create the /sbin/makemkext script- Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemPreferences/com.apple.Boot.plist- Create the /KEXT folder and copy the file System/Extensions.mkext from the JaS DVD to this folder- Extract the extensions using mkextunpack- cp -R /KEXT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions- Run the makemkext script- Reboot and load OSX from the harddrive without the JaS DVD Next step, on to 10.4.11 :D
Well done :wub:
Yup... I tried reinstalling it again, and got 10.4.8 to work perfectly fine (boot without DVD, not in safe mode)but when I tried to update to 10.4.11... after reboot and following the efiboot steps, which were fine (whew) it wouldn't boot up!I get to the part where it loads /System/Library/Extensions.mkext for MKext Cache... and then it goes blank and reboots! nothing more than that. I can still boot off the old kernel into single user mode, but I don't know if it's a good idea to boot into the GUI :D any idea what went wrong with the update?Edit: I tried booting from the 10.4.8 DVD into GUI and got*bunch of text****** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED******bunch of text**diskarb blah blah blah**diskarb blah blah blah**diskarb blah blah blah**diskarb blah blah blah**diskarb blah blah blah**diskarb blah blah blah*then it rebooted by itself!It still won't get past the Extensions.mkext (not loading extensions yet) part before rebooting. Then I tried to get on GUI with DVD again, and finally logged in. It said something during startup about dsmos.kext being wrong or something... :SAny ideas?
Just follow my instruction about the DSMOS and the DISKARB error ... (the dsmos.kext are to be put in .HIDDEN folder)

When the system is booting up from the DVD it says something about dsmos.kext being not authentic

I realized that when I tried to use ./startupfiletool again it says something about resource busy.... so I'm not really sure if the efi was installed correctly or not.

my dsmos.kext is in the right folder... /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext

I'm not really sure what went wrong actually... but all I really know is that now when I boot up from HD, it says "Loading MKext Cache from /Systems/Library/Extensions.mkext ..."then it reboots. It never actually loads the kexts...

*confused*

I did ./startupfiletool again... and it helped to be more awake when I was doing it :D

Now when I boot up I get stuck at "using 10485..."

I'm going to boot up the GUI from the DVD to try and redo the com.apple.boot.plist and replace kexts again

hope it works this time :wub:

Ant

Edit: I checked com.apple.boot.plist and nothing was wrong... so I started up with the DVD and replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext, did makemkext and reboot.

dsmos.kext doesn't load (not authentic) and now I am stuck at the same place that everyone else is stuck on... bad system call.. etc. It keeps retrying until reboot.

launchd: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow port /dev/console exited abnormally: Bad system call

and some lines up i can read..

launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "usr/sbin/coreaudiod"[175]: exited with status: 69

After installing the 10.4.11 update and PC EFI (including the dsmos.kext) I also receive this error when the dsmos.kext isn't loaded. But the problem is that as soon as I try to load the dsmos.kext I receive a kernel panic (Unresolved kernel trap). I'm using the grub-version of PC EFI 6.0. With PC EFI 6.0 the dsmos.kext isn't bundled, so I installed the one which is bundled with PC EFI 5.0 but as already said, I receive a kernel panic with that one.

Do you have a Vista DVD?

If so, insert it, boot up the Vista DVD

Press "next" at the first screen.

Don't press "Install Now!"... instead, there's two buttons on the bottom, one says something like "repair installation" or similar. Select that one.

Up pops a window asking you to select the windows installation.. but the box should be empty. Click "next".

Open up Command Prompt and type in the following:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0  *** assuming that your vista disk is disk 0 ***
list partition
select partition # (fill in your Vista partition number in there)
active

it should say something like "Selected partition is set as active" or something like that.

Reboot, it should boot up Windows Vista... but if you boot into the DVD and press F8 you can choose startup options again! :D

hope this helps

Ant

P.S. What model is your computer?

Hi Ant

I dont have Vista DVD :( and now I cant even boot Vista...

so I guess I must get one in order to fix it??

BTW, my model is the exact same as yours :P

(well..except i only have 2GB ram and no fingerprint scanner..and T7500)

so I think I can just follow the steps you took~

Thx

Hyper

Hi Ant

I dont have Vista DVD :( and now I cant even boot Vista...

so I guess I must get one in order to fix it??

BTW, my model is the exact same as yours :P

(well..except i only have 2GB ram and no fingerprint scanner..and T7500)

so I think I can just follow the steps you took~

Thx

Hyper

Hey Hyper,

I think you can get a Vista DVD quite eh.. easily :D

considering you're not using it to install Vista, and you own an authentic copy anyways :P

I believe there's a way to do the same thing on OSX in single user mode but I don't know the coding behind it.. sorry!

try looking around for how to set a partition as active!

Good luck,

Ant

I'm guessing you have the F3SV-X2? I have the F3SV-A1 (older one with the T7300, I upgraded my RAM)

Update:

I read somewhere that you have to repair permissions on dsmos.kext so it will load... so I got on single user mode (-s)

and typed:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext

and now dsmos.kext loads! :wacko:

However, I got a kernel panic :(

I would love to show a screenshot but Vista is uncooperative and refuses to read my SD cards... :@

However, I got a kernel panic :)

Use my last makemkext to make the Extensions.mkext cache.

Did you add the row in /etc/rc about "kextload dsmos.kext" ?

Don't use dsmos.kext for LEOPARD ... but the old one for tiger (see attachment).

I advice you to use PCefi5 , i'm having some problems with PCefi6, and if you wanna try to inject some values into EFI (nvram , layout-id), use ALCinject/NVinject instead: v6 do the very-same job but with fixed values.

Don't use dsmos.kext for LEOPARD ... but the old one for tiger (see attachment).

I advice you to use PCefi5 , i'm having some problems with PCefi6, and if you wanna try to inject some values into EFI (nvram , layout-id), use ALCinject/NVinject instead: v6 do the very-same job but with fixed values.

Ah, I guess that was the problem. This dsmos.kext which you attached to your post works great! I can now boot back into the graphical environment using EFI + 10.4.11.

Too bad the wireless NIC and the onboard NIC don't work yet...

Ah, I guess that was the problem. This dsmos.kext which you attached to your post works great! I can now boot back into the graphical environment using EFI + 10.4.11.

Too bad the wireless NIC and the onboard NIC don't work yet...

Nice, now wait for Ant and Ciufs to get it! :D

Some hacks can be done for battery-meter and audio-out.

No drivers for internal cardreader.

No drivers fot LAN , yet.

No drivers fot WLAN , yet.

No way to set VGA acceleration, yet.

Yay it works now!!! :D

The only thing was when I replaced dsmos.kext and did makemkext and reboooted, it got stuck at "using 10485 buffer headers..."

and I had to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleAPIC.kext AGAIN :(

But now it boots up fine and I'm happy :D

The only things are:

1. Sound still doesn't work (is there any way to get audio out jack working? I want to connect speakers that I'm getting for Christmas)

2. HD still detected as IDE (doesn't bother me but if there's a fix I'll go for it)

3. Is the wireless coming close to being fixed? let me know before I shell out $40 for a USB wireless adapter :P

4. System Profiler detects Ethernet... I'll post a screenshot later :o

5. no battery meter

6. I think I might buy a USB to Ethernet adapter... but first I need to figure out what works with OSX :)

I am going to put up a new post with a guide (and add it to the first post of this topic) for people who just started reading for Installing OSX 10.4.8 and getting it to work... and also one for updating to 10.4.11

When I do get around to it, AlexIT if you could please read over it to see I didn't make any mistakes :P

Thanks everyone!! Hope Ethernet and wireless works some time soon...

Hi Ant.

ok. i got the vista, erased the whole HDD, split into 20/20/140 (160GB in total), intalled vista into the first partition (disk0s1), and the JaS (10.4.8) in the second partition (installed with -x -v cpus=1...is that right?), then erase the partition into Mac(Journal), selecting only the JaS intel patch.

When I reboot after installation, I boot the DVD with F8, entering "-x -v cpus=1 rd=/dev/disk0s2"...

the result is "still waiting for root service"...

something wrong...?

thx.

Hyper

PS: also the vista wont boot after the installation of OSX...does it have anything to do with the bios version...? currrently running 206...

post-51503-1196145710_thumb.jpg

The only things are:

1. Sound still doesn't work (is there any way to get audio out jack working? I want to connect speakers that I'm getting for Christmas)

2. HD still detected as IDE (doesn't bother me but if there's a fix I'll go for it)

3. Is the wireless coming close to being fixed? let me know before I shell out $40 for a USB wireless adapter tongue.gif

4. System Profiler detects Ethernet... I'll post a screenshot later ohmy.gif

5. no battery meter

6. I think I might buy a USB to Ethernet adapter... but first I need to figure out what works with OSX smile.gif

For sound there is a work in progress for AppleHDA (not stil working). Meanwhile you can use AppleAzallia.kext (also by JAS dvd, i think).

Just edit the info.plist to change

I'm almost sure that it's a bios problem (or wrong settings)

I'm using an USR805423, you can buy for about 20euro a ZD1211b based usb-dongle. Here a list http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/zd1211rw/devices

Have you seen an Ethernet card in SystemProfiles for the Lan (Attansic-L1) ? Impossible!

See here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4912&st=280

I use only wireless, I'm waiting for DeamonEs to have time to finish the linux-driver porting :(

For sound there is a work in progress for AppleHDA (not stil working). Meanwhile you can use AppleAzallia.kext (also by JAS dvd, i think).

Just edit the info.plist to change

I'm almost sure that it's a bios problem (or wrong settings)

I'm using an USR805423, you can buy for about 20euro a ZD1211b based usb-dongle. Here a list http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/zd1211rw/devices

Have you seen an Ethernet card in SystemProfiles for the Lan (Attansic-L1) ? Impossible!

See here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4912&st=280

I use only wireless, I'm waiting for DeamonEs to have time to finish the linux-driver porting :angel:

Thanks again AlexIT!

I'm going to play around with the sound... but I'm not entirely sure what to change about the info.plist in the sound card driver... in case I can't figure it out, can you please explain how? :)

With the HD I'm going to assume that it's because BIOS ver. 206 is having problems with that... but since 207 was buggy for me I'll just stick with IDE mode for now

In terms of USB to ethernet, I was talking about this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...hnologies%20Inc.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...facture=Kinamax

because the ethernet driver doesn't look like it will work any time soon. I have NO idea if these will work with OSX or not though.. I have to do some research.

I'd rather use the integrated wireless card if I can, because I carry my laptop around a lot and having a wireless thing sticking out the side is rather bulky. I hope the driver is almost done? :(

Btw what's preventing this thing from running dual core? Also is there anything I can add for the graphics card or is the stock driver it? I'm noticing a little bit of lag with the Dashboard...

Also my Bluetooth isn't working. It's not a biggy because I never use it anyway but it'd be cool to have it working! I remeber it worked on the 10.4.9 installation but not the 10.4.8 or 10.4.11 :(

Btw (sorry I know this post has a LOT of points to it) there's no way to get the auto-scroll on the trackpad to work is there? I am SO glad the dashboard thing doesn't pop up when I swipe diagonally on the trackpad... my friend's macbook does and it PISSES ME OFF to no end lol :P

Ethernet detected: (I am amazed too.. but it doesn't appear to work)

post-128273-1196152149_thumb.png

Ant

I'm going to play around with the sound ... but I'm not entirely sure what to change about the info.plist in the sound card driver... in case I can't figure it out, can you please explain how? smile.gif

If you open the info.plist of th appleazalia.kext you can see a line about iopcimatching (or something like this) and just below a line with some hex values (eg. 0x088010ec). You should add your! You can take from windows, in hardware device tab of system properties, or with the Everest utility.

In terms of USB to ethernet, I was talking about this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...hnologies%20Inc.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...facture=Kinamax

because the ethernet driver doesn't look like it will work any time soon. I have NO idea if these will work with OSX or not though.. I have to do some research.

It depends on the chipset inside it. Search for some realtek or (old) atheros one.

Btw what's preventing this thing from running dual core?

We are using the old APIC/ACPI stuff, the doesn not know our cpus sad.gif. The new ones would use all the cores ... but hang!

I hope that new bioses will come and be well-done, so working with new apic/acpi kexts.

Also is there anything I can add for the graphics card or is the stock driver it? I'm noticing a little bit of lag with the Dashboard...

The G84 G86 gpus should work , but something prevent them to allocate the correct addresses, so if you enable them (with injecting some correct EFI values) they crash the system as soon as they activate displays.

I tried all possible values for all possible variable, got them frme macbookpro3,1 and other original EFi system, but it crashes.

By now I moved away all NV* and GeF* kext and use the standard internal VESA driver, and it's not so bad.

Also in leopard 10.5.1 there is the same problem.

Also my Bluetooth isn't working. It's not a biggy because I never use it anyway but it'd be cool to have it working! I remeber it worked on the 10.4.9 installation but not the 10.4.8 or 10.4.11 sad.gif

Try to put it on (fn+F2 I think) during boot, at the very beginning of booting process.

there's no way to get the auto-scroll on the trackpad to work is there? I am SO glad the dashboard thing doesn't pop up when I swipe diagonally on the trackpad... my friend's macbook does and it PISSES ME OFF to no end lol tongue.gif

I hate trackpad-autoscroll! I think you can enable it in system-configure, or some new ApplePS2Track kext. But I'll never do it tongue.gif

It's not relevant, it only reads the systempreferences and could be faulty.

You should see in SystemConfig->Network to see if it is detected.

But where is CIUF? Hey CIUF did you give-up?

Hi Ant.

ok. i got the vista, erased the whole HDD, split into 20/20/140 (160GB in total), intalled vista into the first partition (disk0s1), and the JaS (10.4.8) in the second partition (installed with -x -v cpus=1...is that right?), then erase the partition into Mac(Journal), selecting only the JaS intel patch.

When I reboot after installation, I boot the DVD with F8, entering "-x -v cpus=1 rd=/dev/disk0s2"...

the result is "still waiting for root service"...

something wrong...?

thx.

Hyper

PS: also the vista wont boot after the installation of OSX...does it have anything to do with the bios version...? currrently running 206...

Hey hyperloop,

Did you install the Intel kexts and the SATA kexts (if your disk has them)?

If it still doesn't work try changing your IDE setting in your BIOS to "Compatible"

I didn't have this problem with booting from the DVD though... :(

Hope this helps

Ant

Same here, it is the iwl3945 driver that is loaded, but not fully operational. At my laptop I see 'HW Microcode' error's during the initialisation of the card
I tried putting the 0x066010EC (my vendor/device number) in and nothing happened :D Is the sound card for F3SV different from F3SC?
I've also got a F3SV here and the PCI ID of my audio controller is 8086 284b

Where do I get the updated trackpad kext? :D

I tried putting the 0x066010EC (my vendor/device number) in and nothing happened :(

Is the sound card for F3SV different from F3SC?

I don't know, it should be the same.

@algo: you're right , you have to change also the ICH id , maybe

I don't remember and I don't have my HackBookPro here ... but check this:

1. Move away the AppleHDA.kext !!! IMPORTANT !!!

2. Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

Try putting 0x10EC0660 (instead of 0x066010EC),

3. Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext (a plugin inside the azalia) for matching ICH8 HDA interface proper ID:

Try putting 0x284b8086 (or your ICH id if different),

4. makemkext && reboot

I don't know, it should be the same.

@algo: you're right , you have to change also the ICH id , maybe

I don't remember and I don't have my HackBookPro here ... but check this:

1. Move away the AppleHDA.kext !!! IMPORTANT !!!

2. Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for matching codec's proper ID:

Try putting 0x10EC0660 (instead of 0x066010EC),

3. Edit AppleAzaliaController.kext (a plugin inside the azalia) for matching ICH8 HDA interface proper ID:

Try putting 0x284b8086 (or your ICH id if different),

4. makemkext && reboot

I tried that and nothing happened :(

I also tried 0x8086284b and 0x066010EC and still nothing

you sure that's how you got yours to work? ;)

Ant