Speedstep on Leopard?

Myzrael

20 posts in this topic

check #10.5 on the usual irc channel. the new kernel enabled sleep on my santa rosa laptop. there is a speedstep app and the throttle (not throttler) is mistyped in directions and you need to do the usual chown and chmod, but after two tried I got it to work! Wow.....

check #10.5 on the usual irc channel. the new kernel enabled sleep on my santa rosa laptop. there is a speedstep app and the throttle (not throttler) is mistyped in directions and you need to do the usual chown and chmod, but after two tried I got it to work! Wow.....

Ah yes thank you. Looks like there is some EFI with unmodified kernel going on at the moment though so I might wait a little bit to see what will happen.

This is how I got speedstep to work on my hack. Files are available at #10.5 of irc.

In Terminal,

sudo cp -R mach_kernel /

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ACPICPUThrottle.kext

sudo chown root SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep

sudo chmod +s SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep

sudo cp -R SpeedStep.app /Applications

sudo cp -R AppleACPIPlatform in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Now, add SpeedStep.app in login items

Reboot

Hello...I have an issue some people think is SpeedStep related. I'm running an Intel e7650 on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo. When I boot into Leopard, no matter what graphics kexts are installed, the fan on my graphics card ramps up its speed and gets crazy loud. Sounds fine in Tiger, just in Leo. Does this sound like a SS issue? GFX card is GeForce 7900 GS

i just installed the efi patch and vanilla kernel works great for me, software update works too but i had to restore the old framebuffer kext for gma950 support. the only problem, is speedstep is broken now. if i try to load acpicputhrottle.kext, i get a kernel panic and have to restart. any suggestions? speedstep isnt built into the kernel because i only get an hour and a half out of a 4 hour battery.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering. I'm running 10.5 ToH "distro" and was wondering if speedstep is already working and if it is working, how can I enable it? Haven't been able to find this. Thanks in advance!

While I have not run a tool to verify my CPU has downshifted, I have noticed that when I loaded a kext/bundle to enable my battery display that my laptop is running cooler and w/out fans. That cannot be happening without it being lowered in speed.

Search the forum/google for "enable battery display." IIRC, it was a powermanagement.bundle

If you have trouble locating it, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it back up.

I am running 10.5.0 ToH on my an Intel Dual Core T2050 CPU. Still no sleep mode, tho... I believe my laptop installed a USB enable wake tool for XP MCE, so I may try to find some widgets or devices that wake up the computer externally.

/

edit: found it my browser history...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=14912&st=0

thanks, but most of us with laptops will already have that bundle installed. it doesnt really make much of a difference. im using efi+vanilla kernel. what us vanilla users need is for someone to get the stock MB/MBP speedstep kexts working on efi machines (i beleive its some coop between the kernel and a couple kexts, correct me if im wrong)

thanks, but most of us with laptops will already have that bundle installed. it doesnt really make much of a difference. im using efi+vanilla kernel. what us vanilla users need is for someone to get the stock MB/MBP speedstep kexts working on efi machines (i beleive its some coop between the kernel and a couple kexts, correct me if im wrong)

Oh, I hear you. While many may have that version of the bundle, many may not. I did not, obviously.

And yes, I do think a magic arrangement of kexts will work... but it is more the point that a magic arrangement of kexts will not CONFLICT with your mobo and CPU managing "speedstep" automatically via the dynamic cpu setting in your bios. Having a nearly all intel setup, I may have a built-in advantage in this instance.

I think what people really want when they mention speedstep is the ability to USER control and optimize the settings, and those will always be very OEM oriented. ie, most lappy's have vendor installed power management tools like I did with my Toshiba running XP MCE.

That's going to require a lot of tweaking and dev id matching, imho. But then, we like that kinda {censored}... :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, I hear you. While many may have that version of the bundle, many may not. I did not, obviously.

And yes, I do think a magic arrangement of kexts will work... but it is more the point that a magic arrangement of kexts will not CONFLICT with your mobo and CPU managing "speedstep" automatically via the dynamic cpu setting in your bios. Having a nearly all intel setup, I may have a built-in advantage in this instance.

I think what people really want when they mention speedstep is the ability to USER control and optimize the settings, and those will always be very OEM oriented. ie, most lappy's have vendor installed power management tools like I did with my Toshiba running XP MCE.

That's going to require a lot of tweaking and dev id matching, imho. But then, we like that kinda {censored}... :)

just about everything you said was right. people can use built in bios clocking. but not all laptop monufacturers allow that option in their bioses. mine is one of those. my gateway (great manufacturer, but horrible choice of bios) doesnt have a setting for dynamic cpu. so i have mine runing full clock (2.0GHz) all the time. i still get 2 hours out of the battery but compared to windows and its 5, thats despicable. user cpu clock control on windows xp version WAS OEM oriented, but when vista came out, it became a built in thing. so someone is going to have to figure out that dev id matching and kext tweaking so us not so lucky laptop users can have speedstepping too. and yes, we do like that stuff. i personally think some guys in here get off to that stuff but hey, its just an opinon.

• 11 months later...

i put xp , leapord , ubuntu , open suse - quad boot at moment

i got the following workinmg=

vga driver ok

mic

sound work

3g ntfs write

PowerManagement[1].original.zip shows the battery icon in top of task bar but not percentage remaining - why is this ?

not working =

my usbs kind of not hot plug (but works from boot) but i installed a patch iousbfamily308[1].4.0log.dmg already and if i plug into same slot it works but not if in any other slot

boths sd cards not working at moment

problem is battery doesnt last as long as xp , as cpu is always running at 1600 mhz . so i got CoolBook.dmg but when i run this program , all the options to throttle down the cpu doesnt work as all options are greyed out - without this speed step . its killing my battery life !! typing uname -a shows i am running is it darwin kernel ?

when selecting sleep , laptop acts if power is cut to it

if i shut down via the task bar menu , its ok . but if i press off button , then select shut down . the laptop will go to error message and say please hold down off button to switch off,. etc - i cannot find this error any where - seems i may hgave found a new bug ?!?!?!