Leopard can't be installed on USB harddisk?

Tader

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

as I used to do with Tiger, I installed Leopard on an USB harddisk so I wouldn't mess up my current installation. I got very frustrated because whatever I did, it wouldn't go to graphics mode. Booting seemed to work, mounted the root, started directoryservice etc... Just no graphics!

At last I connected the (previously USB) harddisk to my PATA controller and it booted perfectly at once!

So, what happen? Is it, maybe, trying to use the USB disk for timemachine or something?

Regards,

Tader

I have Leopard running from a USB drive. But when I installed Leopard on to that drive, it was mounted internally to my motherboard's IDE connector. I later removed that hard drive and placed it into a USB external drive enclosure. It boots up and runs Leopard just fine, albeit slower than an internal PATA or SATA drive.

There shouldn't need to be any special instructions on installing Leopard (or Tiger) on to a USB disk.

I've installed Tiger directly onto a USB drive, just using the normal installer. I suppose it would be the same with Leopard, although I didn't try it. What I did do though, is install Leopard onto an IDE drive, then removed that drive from my desktop machine, and mount it into a USB external hard drive enclosure. Leopard runs fine on the USB drive, just not as fast as an internal drive.

I even used a generic Rosewill 3.5in USB drive enclosure...the house brand for Newegg. I think it cost me less than $20 even after shipping and taxes. Its nothing fancy, but it works just fine.

• 2 months later...

I too have successfully installed Leopard in a Maxtor One Touch III mini 80gb. I've tried flatimage, toh, brazil, uphuck, kalyway and it all worked. I also tried both GUID and MBR.

If you ask me about performance between the two:

X-bench / GeekBench results are almost identical. There are claims that GUID is faster as it should but benchies did not agree. However, the "Feel" of using GUID is faster for me .. lol .. I know this is only psychological ..

You can try it yourself to find out =D You might have better (hopefully not worse) experience with GUID.

gl

I also installed Leopard Kalyway on a 500gig WD My book. I had problems booting from firewire, which i installed. I then plugged the usb cable then it booted. what i have noticed with Leopard is that the BIOS settings are very critical. I had to change a couple of settings on my BIOS to get it to boot.

There should not be any problem in installing onto USB harddisk. No matter it is tiger or leopard, all installs fine though booting up takes a bit longer. I believe most modern motherboard supports booting from USB device. Just allow this type of boot and should works well.

I also try GUID and MBR as well but booting from GUID (external USB drive) will depend on motherboard. Some works but some doesn't e.g. Intel MB

Performance wise, have you noticed any difference between MBR and Guid?

On an internal sata drive, Xbench (not the most reliable benchmark) reports about a 12-13 point advantage to guid. To be honest, on usb, I would be comparing apples to oranges. My usb mbr is on an 80gb 2.5" 5400rpm disk. My usb guid is on a 250gb, 3.5" 7200rpm disk, so naturally my usb guid is considerably faster.

Overall, I find it easier to make copycatx bootable images of my system with guid. That's the biggest advantage for me.